Rated ‘E’ For Everyone (3)
1.4k 13 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“...Why do I feel uncomfortable all of a sudden?”

 

Mary asked as she nervously took a seat at the bar.

 

“Well that’s because someone set their sights on us. More specifically those guys over there.”

 

Discreetely nudging my head towards a table in the corner, I said calmly. There was a group of people there and within that group of people, two of them, a man and a woman, were frequently throwing glances at us ever since we stepped into the building. Their stares weren’t filled with bloodlust but the intent behind their eyes were still malicous. 

 

“And from how Dillius described the robbers, the owners of those stares seem to fit the description.”

 

“Then let’s confront them right now!”

 

Mary was about to stand up from the bar but I quickly grabbed her hand and said with a smile.

 

“Whoa kemosabe, slow your roll. There’s no need to rush into the action. Since we're here, how about we have a drink?”

 

I’ve been dying to have something other than straight whiskey. King Paul, I appreciate your good taste in liquor but can’t you have some simplicity in your life? It doesn’t hurt to have an ale every once in a while.

 

“A drink? I-I never drank alcohol before…”

 

“If that’s the case then I how about we start with a small cup of ale?”

 

“A-are you sure master?”

 

“Yeah, there’s nothing to worry about. It’s not like I’m going to get you drunk off your ass and have us share a room together.”

 

I joked with a small laugh.

 

“...”

 

“It was a joke. A joke. I would never do such a thing like that! I was raised better! innkeeper!”

 

I frantically explained as Mary’s stare got colder and colder. There’s no way I’d do a cowardly thing.

 

“You called?”

 

A middle aged man with scars on his arms asked as he walked out from the kitchen. Hmm, he must’ve been a former adventurer. 

 

I should ask him a few questions later on about advenutering. 

 

“Two ales please. One regular and the other one in a small cup.”

 

“Okay. that’d be three coppers.”

 

“Here you go, my guy.”

 

I then proceed to pay for the drinks. Ah, it feels good to be alive when the national drinking age here is fifteen. Long live alcohol! 

 

“Thanks.”  

 

I took a sip of the ale.

 

…Disgusting. It was warm and flat.

 

I forgot this world isn’t very sophisticated when it comes to bartending. Oh, shit. Mary!

 

“...How is it Mary? Your first drink?”

 

I asked nervously. She isn’t going to vomit it up right?

 

“It’s actually quite tasty, master. The honey makes it sweet and when you use ice magic to chill it, it’s even more wonderful.”

 

Contrary to my imagination, Mary is drinking the ale with gusto. 

 

“Honey?”

 

I look at the innkeeper who’s cooking food in the back and we make eye contact. He gives me a slight nod and continues focusing on cooking.

 

He must’ve been looking out for her considering it’s her first time drinking. If it’s somewhat sweet and flat compared to being just flat, she’ll come back for more.

 

Quite the sales tactic.

 

“Hey, Mary, can you chill this for me?”

 

Passing her my ale, I asked. If I can drink it chilled, I’m drinking it chilled.

 

“Sure thing, master.”

 

And with a touch of her finger, my drink was chilled.

 

And the result… still disgusting. 

 

“Mary, what do you think a hero is?”

 

Taking a sip of the disgusting ale, I brought up such a conversation topic. Those guys aren’t going to come over here with just one mug of ale under our belt, so let’s just drink until they think they’re confident enough to try something. 

 

“That’s quite the random question?”

 

“Not really. While I’ve already heard Alice and the others' opinions on the matter, I never really heard yours.”

 

Alice, Kari, and Prince Leonard have too many good bones in their body that they are willing to risk their lives for strangers. I’m not saying it’s a bad mindset to have but due to my experiences, I just find it highly naïve. 

 

War makes lines very murky and foes and Allies almost indistinguishable from each other. 

 

Can they inhumanly torture a man in order to get information about an ambush? Can they kill today’s enemies who were once yesterday’s friends?

 

‘Can’t I just tell them this?’ I ask myself but only to shake my head in refusal. Actions speak louder than words, they got to see it to believe it. Trial by fire if you will. Because it’s only a matter of time before they put that “heroes mindset” to the test. 

 

A test in which I’m sure they’ll pass. 

 

After all, they're my students!

 

“My opinion? Hmm, if I had to say it’d be protecting those you hold dear and their ideals. If someone I hold dear wants to be an adventurer, while worrying for them, I’ll encourage them. Why? Because that’s what they want to do. If someone tries to harm my loved one then I’ll protect them even if it costs me my life!.”

 

“Oh? That’s a good one. In fact, that’s my ideal hero as well.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yep. For my family, there’s no limit I won’t break or line I won’t cross just as long as they're happy. While I think saving the world and protecting the weak is a noble goal, it’s a hard one to achieve. I’m only one person. I can't be everywhere at once…Therefore, I think it’s best to only focus on what is around me. If someone needs help and I’m there, I’ll help them… like what we’re doing now.”

 

I ended with a smile. 

 

I’m not going to say that if it was a grown man I would’ve ignored him because that’ll ruin my good (?) image. I’m kind but not to the point where I’ll help an able bodied man get his money back after getting robbed. 

 

“Then… cheers to what we’re doing right now!”

 

Mary raises her mug up and says with a smile. Her cheeks were flushed slightly. Smiling lightly at this girl's weakness to alcohol, I clinked my mug with hers.

 

“Cheers!”

 

And like that two hours passed. We talked about all sorts of random stuff. About what we liked, what we used to play when we were kids, what our future goals were. 

 

…It wouldn’t be a lie if I said I wasn’t attracted to this girl. She is pretty, has nice boobs and above all, a nice personality. Not to mention, she already knows my identity, meaning a major hurdle is already jumped over. 

 

I wouldn’t be a man if I didn’t ever think about dating this girl. 

 

So…if there’s a chance to know more about the woman I’m interested in, I’m not taking that chance for granted! For my harem! 

 

“For my happiness!”

 

“For your happiness?”

 

Oops, my inner thoughts leaked out. Thankfully, I laughed it over as drunk talk. 

 

As we were talking…

 

“Hey, remember how I taught you how to dispel toxins from your body?”

 

I suddenly asked Mary this question. I could sense a person approaching us. It was a woman from the target group.

 

“Yes.” 

 

And to show me, she began to try to expel the alcohol from her body. 

 

“Wait! Not yet. Wait until their guard is completely down before we attack. When the time comes I'll give you the signal.”

 

“...I understand master.”

 

The moment I finished saying that.

 

“Hello handsome, can I offer you guys a drink?”

 

Sitting right beside me, the girl said with a seductive smile as she stared at me. Those eyes were filled with suppressed lust.

 

 

Sigh! If only she wasn’t a part of the group we came to beat the shi- I mean reclaim the money from.

 

***

 

Author’s Note

  • Hello readers! How’s it going? Good I hope. Like always here’s a late asf chapter. 
  • For those wondering where the action is at, don’t you worry, the next chapter should be fairly long and it should wrap up this section of the story in what I’d consider the ‘planning stage’. 
  • Also in other news, 2 more months before ya boi becomes 21! That means I’ll be able to legally buy some party juice. No more askin- I mean watching from the sidelines as everyone else in the barracks get lit. And on the same note, I hope you guys pray for me as I volunteer for the next spur ride. I WANT MY SILVER SPURS!
32