CH 51: Chocolate? Flowers? Candy?
101 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eve sat on her desk, finishing off her lunch meal. She normally ate at the pantry since that was the policy. She decided to ignore it for today. Her hands wouldn't leave her computer alone. The work just never ended.

Andie truly had been struck by an Asian arrow. Her lunch for today even had fried rice. They were inside jackets of egg, reminding her of round dumplings. 

How did her best friend manage to do it?

Eve didn't know but they tasted divine and she found them easy to eat.

The intercom rang, catching her attention. She swallowed the last bit of food and used her tongue to scrape the side of teeth. She pushed the answer button.

"What is it, Darryl?" As she was about to check on a new email, another came and pushed down the rest. It took the top spot where Eve almost clicked. The interruption affected her work streak.

It was small but it was irritating. 

"Nothing, Ms. Hart," the security guard talked through the mic. Eve could almost see his goofy smile. "I just had a sudden thought that you felt lonely up there."

She frowned at that. "And why would I be?"

The top floor rarely had visitors. Most transactions and negotiations happened through mail. It became convenient for documenting the discussion. It looped the key people into it, lessening the need to repeat for others not present.

"Because the boss is not around, of course!"

Eve stopped typing. Her gaze scowled at the intercom. It seemed that the old man was in a good mood. She shook her head and decided to humor him. 

A playful smile appeared on her face. "I don't think there's much of a change."

Her fingers resumed to work. She searched the company's online shared folder for a document from ages ago. She sent a prayer that she'd find it. Otherwise, she'd need to find it using other means. 

"A savage lady. Harsh," Darryl remarked. He immediately understood the joke. The secretary referred to her desk and Ambryan's were separated by a door. Their main communication relied on emails and on phone calls. 

Essentially, Eve stayed by herself.

That factor wouldn't change if the CEO went out.

"I think you're the one who feels lonely down there." Eve chuckled. If she knew the security guard well, he called for his own benefit and not hers. "Did you fight with your wife?"

Darryl groaned. "I don't even know what I said! You'd think after being married for so long, I'd know her like the back of my hand. But, no! Would the same old tricks still be effective? Like if I show up with a box of her favorite sweets?"

The secretary pressed her lips together. She downloaded the document that she searched for and attached it to the email. While doing this, her mind absorbed the words from the intercom. 

"Careful, Darryl," Eve warned. She saw his good intention but it might be misinterpreted. "Don't you think it would be better if you did that after you made up? Otherwise, it sounds like bribery."

"But it worked before," the old man pointed out. His breath huffed out of the speaker. "Then again, I probably should step up my game. What do you suggest, Ms. Hart?How should I woo a woman who is mad at me?"

The secretary directed a bewildered expression at the intercom. Her jaw dropped at his question. "Me? You're asking me?"

Darryl snorted out a scoff. What was wrong with asking? He could even ask this question to strangers. There was no reason for Eve to be surprised. "Aw, come on. Even if you're single, guys should have pursued you on multiple occasions."

Eve pushed her chair back with her eyes closed. A boisterous cackle flowed out of her mouth. It reached the ceiling, bouncing off it and echoing inside the room. Her arm clutched her stomach, soothing the growing cramp. It had been a while since she heard such a statement.

Opening her eyes, she wiped off invisible tears and said, "Keep dreaming, Darryl. That's the only place you'd find that to be true."

"No way!" The security guard exclaimed. "Uh-uh. I don't believe it. At least, one guy must have pursued you."

"We're not having this discussion," Eve denied him. She grabbed her desk and pulled herself back into position, continuing a report. "Aren't you the one having trouble? What does your wife like anyway other than flowers? Although, I think you should just acknowledge your faults."

"I did but nothing happened," Darryl sighed. Since when were apologies not enough? 

"I can imagine."

"Why is that?" He asked, unable to comprehend her statement.

"Didn't you just say you don't even know what wrong thing you said?" Eve reminded him. She had only heard of it a few minutes ago but it stuck to her. "Then, how can you sincerely apologize for it?"

"How am I supposed to figure that out?" Darryl groaned. If he had known what it was, he would have done a better job. Why couldn't his wife just tell him what was wrong?

"If you really can't, just tell her and apologize that you don't know what you did wrong," the secretary responded. If there wasn't another way, she figured the truth was always better. Anything else could be seen as insincere. "Then, maybe ask her what it was while promising to listen carefully. As long as you understand and remember it next time, she'll forgive you."

"What am I? A kid? That doesn't sound convincing."

Eve hung her head. How should she explain this? Kids weren't the only people that made mistakes. Everyone does. It wasn't a constant growth to learn and to rise above them. That aside, this sounded like more of a pride issue.

Something she won't touch on. 

Her phone vibrated in her pocket. She took out and checked the notification from her lockscreen. She had one message from a female bodyguard.

"Well, I have no better ideas so good luck," Eve said in a rush, rising to her feet and placing one finger on the end button. "Wen said Sir Hathaway is on his way back."

If her boss was coming, he would want some tea. 

She brewed only one cup and set it on his desk. Pulling her sleeve, Eve checked her watch. She had estimated his arrival based on Wen's message. He should be here at any moment, just in time for freshly made tea. 

The door opened behind her.

Ambryan paused halfway inside. 

Eve turned around and bowed. "Welcome back, Sir Hathaway. Your tea is ready."

"Anything I need to know about?" He asked, resuming his walk towards his desk. His hands fiddled with his cufflinks out of habit. "Anything that should cause an alarm?"

"Nothing urgent," Eve answered with a shake of her head. She stepped aside and followed his movements. Her body had turned back around once he sat on his chair. "Everything has been sent to your email. 

Ambryan nodded and logged back into his computer. The dandelion wallpaper greeted his sight. He opened his inbox first and reversed the filter, letting the oldest ones be put on top. 

"Alright, I'll contact you if there's anything else."

"Understood."

Heading for the exit, Eve barely touched the door when a voice called her back. She looked over her shoulder reflexively.

"Eve." Ambryan scowled, leaning back on his chair. His violet eyes hardened in concentration as he studied his secretary. Nothing about her appearance hinted him on her character. She always wore the same style of clothes.

Something that came from Madison's instructions for the CEO's secretary.

"Yes, Sir Hathaway?" Eve replied as she let the door knob go. Her hands folded over her abdomen, standing in attention. She blinked once while her face composed a solemn expression.

It seemed to be a serious issue. Had Mikael figured her out? And asked him? If that were the case, why hadn't Luna reached out to her? 

Ambryan tilted his head to one side. "What is your opinion on chocolates, flowers and candies?"

Eve raised an eyebrow. "Is this for a film?" 

Nothing about the CEO was random. It usually had a reason—mostly business related. Since their company focused on romance, it seemed to the logical conclusion.

"I guess you can say that," Ambryan cleared his throat. He averted his gaze for a few seconds before he placed them back on her. "A questionnaire about a woman's personal interests."

The secretary stopped a frown. These words reminded her of Darryl's question. Were they connected? Was her boss helping out the old man?

"They're all lovely…" Eve dragged, testing the waters. She proceeded when Ambryan nodded. "If they are to be given to a woman, it would depend on her preference."

"And if you're in that position?"

Her eyebrows shot up. "Me?"

Crease lines emerged on Ambryan's forehead. His voice maintained a business tone. "Yes. Like I said, it's a questionnaire of personal interests."

Eve relaxed her expression, letting it sink in. She scratched the back of her ear. It was suddenly hard to meet her boss' gaze. "For chocolate, I prefer dark ones. A bit of sweetness and milk would be fine but I prefer tasting a lot of cocoa."

Ambryan narrowed his eyes. "Flowers?"

"Never really thought about it."

"Candy?"

"Chocolate is not candy?"

"Aside from chocolate, of course." He 

"Um… I like strawberry and lemon flavors? It's usually what I think about." Eve coughed. At this age, the only time she ever saw candy was when her sisters came for Halloween. "Preferably not something sticky. It hurts my teeth."

"I see. That should be all," Ambryan dismissed. He shifted his attention towards his monitor. The sound of typing keys filled in the silence. Sometimes, an occasional click of a mouse would cut in between. 

Eve bit her inner cheek. Something about the conversation left her unsatisfied. The feeling wouldn't leave her alone and triggered a thought to drop inside her head. 

Next thing she knew, the following words flew out of her mouth,

"What about you then, Sir Hathaway?"

3