CH 53: Closeted Words to Live By
103 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The week flew by as Eve predicted. Work slowed down by the end of it. Nothing unexpected happened again. Her reports finished before her clock out. She and Ambryan hadn't chatted outside of their daily greetings. Darryl made up with this wife.

It was a steady progress.

She hoped this Sunday would be just as smooth.

Eve stepped inside the elevator, wearing a bohemian style summer dress. The straps of her flat sandals tied around her ankles in a criss-cross pattern. Her nape sweated from the summer heat. The red wig clung to her skin and made her itch.

Would it be possible to have it tied up?

Her eyes glanced up, checking the floor numbers. They almost reached her destination. She gulped. This would be the first time she'd set foot where she was headed,

Evangeline's apartment.

The 10th floor had nothing different from the others. The corridor could house two lines of people. Unlike the exterior of the building and the golden lobby, the color palette among the upper floors resembled a modern color palette in shades of blue, gray and white. 

Each varnished mahogany door led to a resident space of 600 square feet. 

Eve checked the numbers. Gold plates of them had been screwed onto the doors. They shined from the lights, highlighting the embossed writing.  

She looked for 10-E.

It was located near the end of the hallway. Keys chimed under her hand. Avery had left it with the receptionist last time, making it easier for her to obtain. 

The door opened to a kitchen. It had the sink and the stove in one counter with a fridge, creating a long line. Into the corridor, a humble dining area stood between it and the living room. Across from a navy blue couch, a flatscreen hung on the wall. 

Behind it was the masterbedroom. Noises led Eve towards the room. She heard the creaks from hinges and the clamor of clothing hangers. Her eyebrows scrunched.

A bright room peeked through an open door.

"Cale?" Eve asked, pushing the door further. Another door stood parallel to her left. Her eyes widened at the spread of clothes in the room. They covered the entire bed. Racks of them also pressed against two walls. 

She'd say a tornado must have blown into the bedroom. Except, they were all organized.

Eve stepped in further and walked over to the closet's entrance. More clothes feasted her sight. The walk-in closet had a row of clothing on each side. They hung on top of drawers. A floor length mirror was perched on top of a circular platform. 

'Was teleportation real?' She asked herself. 'Am I back in that dressing room?'

"Uh…" Eve started to say. Her voice came out hoarse because of her dry throat. "Hello?"

A head of platinum blonde hair popped up from a blind spot. The rows of clothes ended just before the platform and the mirror. Shelves took up the adjacent walls. Shoes and bags filled them up.

Aqua blue eyes crinkled at Eve. Next came a blur of magenta suit with flamingo patterns.

"Oh, Eve! You're finally here!" Cale squealed. He ran through the closet and tackled her into a hug. "How are you, dear? I heard the first date was a success!"

"It went better than I thought it would," Eve admitted, hugging him back. 

Cale released her and cackled in delight. His elbow nudged her side playfully. "SoOOOoo… What is it like to be Ambryan's girlfriend?"

Eve flinched. "Still getting my head around it."

"You'll get to it," he assured her. His hand held her arm and his feet led her inside the closet. With a longer look, Eve noticed the smaller details. There were actually two more floor length mirrors. 

They leaned against each row of clothes.

"Anyway, this will be the first time you two present yourselves as a couple," Cale said, changing the subject, "I was thinking instead of the usual matching clothes, I thought you should have complimenting colors instead." 

In front of the two mirrors were pink round armchairs. Their pale shade plus the cream carpet created a dollhouse-like ambiance.

"I figured you both are a more subtle pair than others," the modelling manager finished. He also hadn't been able to decide a suitable color for them. "Plus It's not quite possible for now. Can't have Ambryan in red when it's a Rainbow color. They'd mistake him as a model."

Eve considered the idea of matching colors. As Cale predicted, she preferred something not as flashy. 

At least, not at the moment. 

Hopefully, not ever.

"Yes, please. I'd rather not be in the same color," she pleaded. It would only catch more unnecessary attention. They could use it as a strategy for another time—if they'd need one.

"Thought so." Cale chuckled. His free hand gestured towards an armchair. "There are several boxes of gowns in there. All in the same shade as your hair. Just choose which style you'd wear while I fill up your closet."

"My closet?" Eve asked as she checked out the white boxes. She hadn't noticed how many there were wince they blended together. Now that she was up close, she counted three.

Her hands snatched one before went to a vacant armchair. Her thumbs brushed over the lid's rim and found no resistance.

"Well, of course!" The modelling manager exclaimed. He stood across from and opened shoeboxes. He arranged them on the shelves according to style. "Evangeline has a different sense of style than the Eve Yan knows. We have to be prepared for anything like nightgowns if he spends the night here."

Eve choked at his last statement. Blood rushed into her cheeks. If her look was supposed to resemble a ruby, she was a step closer in achieving it.

She hadn't wrapped her mind around their relationship yet. Although they talked about it before, the experience was far different. It suddenly felt real though it was fake.

And she didn't know what to think of it.

Cale misunderstood her reaction, finding it cute. "No need to act innocent, dear. We're all adults. Ambryan may be a prude but he still has hormones."

The blush intensified on Eve's face. By now, it covered her whole face and her entire neck. The idea of her boss and his hormones was something she never entertained—not even with his string of flings. She had trained herself to focus only on their business relationship. 

This whole shenanigan seemed to be the ultimate test.

"How do you like the dresses?" Cale questioned, breaking her out of her thoughts.

Eve opened the first box and pushed aside the decoration paper. Just as he said, the color matched her. Her fingers caressed the fabric. It felt soft and smooth under her touch. She pinched a spot, noting how thin it was.

It already passed her first impression.

She set the box down and held the dress by its shoulders. Her hands raised it, exposing its full beauty. The neckline had a wide V which would expose most of her collarbone. The sleeves had been stitched to create ripples and small puffs.

The bodice curved at the sides and flowed down a straight cut floor-length skirt.

In that moment, Eve believed in love at first sight. Her hazel eyes shined with affection. It was the perfect dress for her style.

"I've never seen a more sophisticated gown," she breathed out. The room lights cascaded against the satin cloth. "Is it possible to tie the wig up? I think it would look better that way."

"Awww," Cale gushed. He hugged a pair of his to his chest. Tenderness softened his gaze as he stared at her. "I love this."

"Love what?" Eve blinked at him, peeling her eyes off the dress. A blanket of warmth wrapped around her heart. 

"You're finally embracing Evangeline and suggesting on how to present her." Cale smiled. He took a few steps towards her, maintaining eye contact. "Remember, Evangeline is a stage name but that doesn't mean you're less than her or that she's more than you."

Eve stayed silent. Her hands dropped to her lap. The red dress covered her legs. Her full attention went to the modelling manager. He seemed to be on the verge of tears.

He stood by her side and bent his knees, lowering himself to her eye level. Cale wanted her to understand something as soon as now. 

"You are both still the same person. Just in different circumstances. Don't let Evangeline do anything Eve wouldn't approve of."

"Dating Ambryan aside that is," Cale added with a chuckle.

Eve processed his words. It would be the first time Evangeline met a large group of people. More than just a disguise, her model persona was also a real person. 

She had realized that in the skating rink. The one who loved that place was Eve. Now, Evangeline did too. It didn't cross her mind until it happened.

Both sides only had one heart.

"I understand, Cale." Eve answered him, nodding her head. 

"I hope you do because this is your time to shine." The modelling manager beamed and bumped her shoulder. "Show them what you are made of tonight."

3