Chapter 12.1
233 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I returned to my classes, the whispers continued. It was as if everyone agreed that  I was a monster, and there was no changing their minds. Even Keaira and Ariel couldn’t help make me feel better about what the people were whispering about me. Meanwhile, my training for becoming a witch was exhausting me to the point that I didn’t even know where I was sometimes. Professor Lynex said that I was making progress, but I didn’t see it.

By the weekend, I was finally able to take a break from detention. I was so fried from regular studies and witch training, then when I was able to go outside, I shifted to my wolf form and just ran through the woods. I didn’t even stop to tell anyone where I was going. I just needed time to myself.

It was quiet in the forest. Aside from the occasional sound of little animals scurrying around the forest floor, it was peaceful. No students were talking, no whispers of how I was a monster for attacking Leanna. Just me and the sound of nature. It was a nice change. At least for a time.

As I ran through the forest, I got the sinking sensation that someone or something was following me. I didn’t notice it at first, with my mind elsewhere. It was when I stopped to get a drink from a nearby creek that it became apparent. I could smell the scent of a person, but there were a ways off. For a time, I thought that perhaps it was just one of the students hiking through the forest, but the scent seemed to be following me. I began looking all around but couldn’t find where the smell was coming from.

Cautiously I walked through the forest. I kept listening for anything that sounded out of place. When I didn’t see anything for about thirty minutes, I assumed that I was just paranoid about everything I was going through.

 As I turned around to start heading back to the academy, that’s when I saw it. Another wolf, only they had a deep red coat. I had never seen a wolf with a red coat before. They were just standing there, staring at me.  I tried to reach out to them with my mind but found nothing. As I took a step, they bore their teeth. This didn’t look good. I was not in the mood, nor did I have the energy for a fight.

Slowly I tried to walk around them, hoping that the wolf would let me by, but they repositioned. They weren’t letting me out of their sight. It didn’t look like it was going to let me go. I know it was a werewolf by its size, so it had to be one of the students. It stood there for a moment, teeth bore, snarling at me. Then the next thing I knew, it launched at me.

I did my best to try to escape the wolf, but it was too fast. Soon it was close enough that when it tried to snap down on my leg, it managed to pull fur. I tried to maneuver so that it couldn’t latch onto me, but because of how unfamiliar I was with the forest still, I almost ran into a few tries. As I tried to move away from the wolf again, I ran into a branch, causing me to fall back.

Then it happened. The wolf attacked me, first sinking its teeth into my leg. I let out a yelp, then tried to retaliate. It was too fast for me; the next attack was my thigh. The pain shot through me like a bullet. Somehow I managed to get ahold of the wolf’s neck, though it had little effect, as the pain that was shooting through me made it hard to really get a grip.

I tried again to fight back, only to find the wolf’s mouth around my neck. I did my best to get under it and pushed it with my hind legs, though not very far, due to the injury my left leg now had. This gave me just enough room to fight back. With what little strength I had left, I lept at the wolf and latched onto its neck, slamming it to the ground. The wolf bit into my neck again, and I could feel the blood draining from my body. My body completely exhausted, I fell on top of the wolf. This was how I was going to die, killed by a wolf, for who knows why.

I never really believed people when they say that your life flashes before your eyes, but as I laid there bleeding. My attacker over me, that’s precisely what happened. I saw memories of when I was a kid, memories of mom and dad. They played like a movie in my head. Then there were memories of all my friends. I wondered if they would miss me. As the wolf got closer, I closed my eyes and weighted for the inevitable. I heard another sound but didn’t look. I guess the wolf had brought friends. Then I heard the sound of fighting before my body finally gave out.

I remember seeing flashes of trees moving past me, the smell of ginger and death. As I faded in and out of consciousness, I could tell that someone was carrying me and that they were moving pretty fast. I tried to look up and see who it was, but I couldn’t move. But there was a familiarity to them. Like I knew who it was. All I knew was that they probably saved my life.

When I finally regained consciousness, I realized I was yet again in the nurse's office. I swear, I should get frequent flyers miles. As I tried to move, pain shot through me everywhere. My neck felt like someone had burned me really bad, and I couldn’t move my leg. I heard the sound of footsteps approaching.

“There you are. I was so worried about you,” I heard my aunt Brenda’s voice say. I didn’t try to look at her because the pain in my neck was a little too much.

“Wha.. wha…” was all that was able to come out of my mouth. It was even painful to try to talk. I felt so helpless.

“You were attacked in the forest by a wolf. Leanna found you and brought you here. She was pretty bad as well, though her injuries were minor compared to yours. I am just glad she found you when she did. If she hadn’t, who knows what would have happened.” Aunt Brenda said as she placed her hand on my shoulder. I cried as a sharp pain shot through me.

“I am sorry dear, I didn’t mean to hurt you,” my aunt said, removing her hand. I really didn’t want her to move, but the pain was too much. Then it hit me. Leanna had saved me? Why would she do that? She hates me. I would have to ask her when I could walk again. “The nurse says she is going to try and get ahold of her cousin down in the town. Apparently, she is a fantastic healer. Anyway, I wanted to see that you are okay. Now I have to help track down whoever attacked you.”

Laying there, I pondered on why Leanna saved me. If she had let that wolf kill me, then she wouldn’t have to worry about being jealous of me. Her helping made no sense, much like her asking that aunt Brenda not tell her dad about the incident a few days ago. As the pain started ravaging me again, I closed my eyes, trying to ignore the pain. Soon the pain became too much, and I lost consciousness again. 

If you are enjoying my story and would like to support me, you can check out my patreon where you can get access to chapters before they go live. This story will be posted every Monday and Friday, while The Wolf with Silver Wings will post Every Tuesday and Saturday. Be sure to share this story with your friend, and don't forget to follow me for the latest updates to both of my stories. <3

Here is my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Angelwolf

14