Chapter 13.2
247 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Keaira, I have a question for you. Will you go out with me,” I asked nervously. I watched as her face went from happy to surprise. She looked at me for a moment. I was worried about what she was thinking. What if she rejected me? I don’t think I could handle that right now with everything else that was going on.

“Yes. I will go out with you. I was wondering if you were ever going to ask,” Keaira said as she wrapped me in a hug. Everyone at the table looked at us and clapped. I paid them no mind. I was too happy to care about it now.

That happiness didn’t last as long as I saw my “aunt” coming to the table.

“Michala, I am pleased to inform you that your detention is over, though I would like you to continues to study magic with Professor Lynex.,” she said. Every ounce of me wanted to tell her to go to hell, but I had to keep my cool. I needed to keep digging for the truth.

“I will, Aunt Brenda. Thank you for telling me,” I said, forcing a smile. She nodded and then walked away. Sighing, I turned my attention back to the table. It seemed that everyone was staring at me.

“What was that about?” Ariel asked. She looked so confused.

“Yeah, I never saw that much tension before. At least not between you two,” Keaira said. Great, I guess they noticed that something was wrong. But I couldn’t tell them here.

“I will tell you when we aren’t in public,” I said before turning to what was left of my lunch and eating it, making sure not to make eye contact with the others. There was a lot to tell them, but before that, I needed to talk to Alex. She needed to know the truth, even if she found it hard to believe. I still didn’t know how to believe it myself.

After lunch, we went to our classes. The others tried to prod me in their own way, to find out what happened, but I couldn’t say anything to them until I knew that my aunt couldn’t hear what I was going to tell them. It was hard to focus on class. I ended up getting a question wrong in Biology because of it. I got a lecture from the Professor about the importance of paying attention. Everyone laughed at me. It was quite humiliating, but I couldn’t help it.

When I was finally finished with my classes, I headed towards the courtyard. I sat down in front of the oak tree and waited for the others. One by one, they left the building and came to sit by me. They all looked impatient as they sat down. I guess they were all curious. I decided that I would talk to Alex tonight when I could have her come into my room.

When everyone was sitting down, I summoned an invisible shield around us. I had learned it in one of the books that I still hadn’t returned to the library. This way, no one else could hear our conversation. They may find it a little weird to see people talking but not hear us, but that was fine.

When I was sure that no one else could hear me but those around me, I began explaining what happened. My friends all did their best to remain quiet as I explained everything. When I was finished telling my friends, they all looked as surprised as I felt when I heard everything. I left out the part about Alex being my sister, as I thought it would be better to tell her in private.

“So, wait. Your parents aren’t even your parents?” Ariel asked. I nodded. She scratched her head. Then she looked at me and said, “but if that is the case, then why did my dad help them leave Missouri?”

“I don’t know. There is a lot I still don’t know, and this was all from listening in at the door. It wasn’t like I could just ask them what they meant. And I don’t want them knowing I know until I find more out,” I answered. I wished that I had more to tell them. But that was all I knew. They all looked at me, sympathetically.

“I wish I could tear them a new one,” Keno said. This surprised me. I was used to Keno being the gentle one, but I saw his eyes flash just then. They went from their standard color to red and yellow eyes. It was only for a moment, but at that moment, I felt unease. Like there was something darker residing in him.

“I am sure there will be punishment enough when this is brought to light. For now, we need to respect Michalas’ wishes,” Keaira said. Then she looked at me and smiled as she laid her head on my shoulder. It was one of the most excellent feelings I have had, having her like this.

“Sooo, I guess I’ll be the one to bring it up. How are you the daughter of a goddess?” Alex asked. She seemed both confused and surprised. I just wish I had an answer for her.

“I don’t know. The goddess didn’t really go into details of my conception. Maybe she wooed someone, and that was how I was born, or maybe she blessed someone with me.” I said as I scratched my head. I was still wondering how I came to be as well, let alone why Alex wasn’t a hybrid. Or at least she didn’t show signs. One of these days, I would have to get her to run with me in her wolf form.

The rest of the day seemed to go by quickly. Before I knew it, it was dinner time, and I was famished. When I got to our table, everyone seemed surprised by my plate. I had enough food for two. I don’t know why, but I felt that I could eat it all. I guess it was because my body was still healing.

“Michala, are you alright. You look like you are about to enter some eating contest,” Alex asked. This caused Ariel to giggle. Looking down at my plate, I smiled.

“Well, if I were, I hope I win because I feel like I haven’t eaten in days,” I said as I began digging into my food.

“But you had dinner with us last night, and you had breakfast this morning. Surely you can’t really be that hungry,” Ariel tried to argue. I just smiled as I ate. Keaira just looked at me and laughed as I ate.

“You look like a puppy who was allowed to eat his master’s food for the first time,” Keaira said. It was ironic that she used the word puppy, given that I was a wolf, but somehow it made me happy inside.

I had finished my entire plate just before it was time to head back to the dorms. Everyone was astounded. Even I had to admit that that was a feat. When it was time to head back to the dorms, I asked Alex to meet me in my room. She nodded as we walked. Ariel gave a confused look, but I didn’t say anything.

Once in the dorms, I headed to my room after asking Ariel to give us some time in the room before she came in. She shook her head but agreed to it. I was sitting on my bed when there was a knock at the door.

“Come in,” I said. Slowly the door opened, and in came Alex. She looked a little confused. It wasn’t usual for me to ask her to come to my room. Usually, we went to Keaira’s room to hang out, but tonight I had something significant to discuss with her.  

As she sat down next to me, I looked at her and smiled before saying, “Alex, I have something vital to tell you, even if it sounds farfetched.”

She looked at me and nodded. Taking in a deep breath, I gave myself a moment to muster up the courage. I knew that once I told her, this would change our lives forever.

14