Chapter 14.2
199 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, I woke to the sound of the room door closing. Looking up from my bed, I saw Ariel standing at the foot of my bed with a  fairy flying next to her.

“Morning sunshine. Remember the fairy I told you I had a class with. Michala, this is Calita, Calita, this is my roommate Michala. We need to go to the fairy world. There are some things that we need to talk about without certain people within the school hearing them,” Ariel said, looking at the fairy. The fairy tilted her head to the side for a moment.

“Ariel, are you sure that going to the fairy world is the only way for you all to talk. I mean, most fairies aren’t very keen on other races coming to our world. Especially her,” she said as she pointed to me. I turned my head to the side. What was wrong with me going to the fairy world?

“I don’t understand. Why would the fairies have a problem with Michala going to their world? She hasn’t done anything to them,” Ariel asked. Calita sighed and sat on my bed. I was half tempted to kick her off out of annoyance but decided against it.

“We know what she is. She is going to be the bringer of the next war. I know that she doesn’t have a choice in the matter, but that is just how things are.  My father did his best to protect Michala the best he could, even with that witch placing that spell on her. The moon goddess gave birth to the twins for a reason,” Calita said. I felt my jaw drop as she talked.

“How do the fairies know about me, and why is your dad protecting me. I don’t really understand,” I asked, confused and irritated once again.

“You really don’t know, do you. Before the Helsings took you in, you were born of the moon goddess. She had taken a mortal life in hopes to carry you into this world to be the bridge between races. However, some gained knowledge of this and conspired to kill her. This way, you could never be born. Those plans obviously failed, but not without consequence. After your mother gave birth, she sought out my father so that he could protect you. It was a fair exchange for what she did for our people,” she said, looking at me. I tried my best to soak in everything that she was telling me.

“But how did she end up becoming a Helsing then?” Ariel asked before I had the chance to allow the words to leave my mouth.

“That was my father's doing. Once my father realized what you and your sister were, he knew that you needed to be raised by someone who could help you become who you were born to be, but he also swore that he would no longer be part of your life. He said that what is to follow you would mean the deaths of many of our finest,” she said. I could hear the pity in her voice. The last thing I needed was for someone to pity me.

“But Alex isn’t a hybrid. Why was she taken to another family? It doesn’t make any sense. Why did we need to be separated and made to believe that we were the only children?” I asked. If I were going to have to get my information from someone other than those supposed to be my family, I would get it any way possible.

“Father felt that it would be too dangerous for two pups to grow up together, especially when one of them was also a vampire. Imagine if the two of you got out of control and showed yourselves to one of the humans,” she said. I kind of understood their worry, but it still upset me.

“Look, that is all I know. But, if you are insistent on going to the fairy world, meet me in the courtyard at midnight. This way, there is no chance of us being followed,” Calita said. I nodded. This would give me time to give the message to the others. “If that is all, I need to leave. I have some other friends expecting me. I will see you soon, Ariel,” Calita said before using magic to open our door. Then she was gone.

“I am sorry that you have to go through all of this. I wish that there was something I could do to make things better,” Ariel said as she sat beside me. I couldn’t blame her, though I needed someone to blame. At this moment, I blamed my so-called family. If they had just been upfront and honest with me, I wouldn’t be resorting to finding out independently.

“I know that there is nothing that you can do, Ariel. This is something that I need to figure out, but I am happy that you are helping me the best way you can. Your support is a breath of fresh air,” I said as I wrapped an arm around her. She smiled and leaned into the awkward one-armed hug.

After a while, we went into the lounge area and joined the others. They all seemed curious. I guess they were wondering what took us so long.

“At midnight, we have to meet Ariels fairy friend. She is going to open the door between realms so that I can fully fill you in on what's going on,” I said. I watched Keno and Keaira looked at me, confused.

“It involves Alex and me. I can't go into details much because I don’t trust the walls around here. You never know who could be listening,” I said. They both nodded. I guess they understood.

“Well, we have a while before we have to worry about that. so what would you all like to do?” Keaira asked. Ariel and I looked at each other for a moment.

“We could visit the village. There are a few shops I have been dying to visit,” Ariel finally answered. I couldn’t help but laugh. I never saw Ariel this excited.

“Then it is decided, we shall go to the village, and maybe once we are done there, we could come back to my room to watch a movie to pass the time,” Keaira said. That sounded amazing. It seemed Ariel and Keno were excited about it too. With our plans made out, we ate a quick brunch before heading out of the dorm.

11