Vol. 1 Ch. 18: Eavesdropping
2.5k 8 93
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Celia's POV]

Mio still isn't ready to step out of the shell that protected her fragile heart. The trauma of losing the closest person twice muddled her heart. Even Ethan had no chance to get close to her if the incident at the bank never happened. My maid thoroughly punished the men orchestrating the plan.

Only Ethan had permission to move in and out of her shell. I let out a sigh. The child abuse incident struck close to my heart. My maid Amelia suffered from something similar while I couldn't help her.

Child abuse.

What is wrong with people? How can they lift their hands at adorable little children?

I tried to redeem myself by extending a hand to Mio, who was like the little, unsocial brat fond of standing alone in every party.

And I met a loss. Though I had grown used to facing them after Ethan's silent rejection over the years, it still left a bitter taste.

My efforts weren't in vain as Mio's silence meant she didn't reject me. My gift warmed her heart. A perfect way to ruin a bastard's life. Despite that, the history of the bastard intrigued me.

I opened my laptop and launched the super-secret application. My honey Ethan appeared on the screen, sitting before his PC, watching different stances of unarmed combat. I gulped and wiped my face with a napkin. Who said perfection didn't exist. Honey's serious expression is beyond the realm of perfection.

Let's change the angle. The screen split into eight parts, each showing different sides of the floor and the outside area.

Is that Mio on the first floor?

I zoomed in. Yep, that's Mio.

"What is she planning now?"

Valentina appeared there with a bag full of sex toys and talked to Mio. I couldn't hear the content clearly—sacrifice needed to make the camera compact and concealable from the naked eye.

Valentina kicked the door. Regina was inside, collapsed on the floor.

Shit. The situation looked serious.

I shut the laptop and sprang from my seat. Stowing the laptop in my room, I hurried out, only to crash into Ethan's chest.

"Why are you in a hurry?"

"Come with me."

"Let me wear better clothes."

"No time."

I grabbed his hand and hurried over to Valentina's apartment. Crossing the hallway, I stopped outside the room with a pair of slippers belonging to Mio.

The narrow opening in the door allowed me to peek. Valentina lowered Regina on the couch and scoured medicines out of a bag. Mio stood there with her hands clasped behind her back—something she did to conceal her anxiety or... fear. Does an unconscious woman scare her because it reminds her of her mother in an accident? Her emotional scars might be deeper than I thought.

"W—"

I shushed Ethan with a finger on his lips. "Just listen."

He furrowed his brow and nodded, joining me in stalking Mio.

So cute.

Valentina held a syringe and pulled up Regina's sleeve. She stopped briefly and stabbed the syringe in her wrist.

Ouch. That must have hurt.

Holding on to Regina's hand, Valentina slumped down and whispered something, her body shaking.

Mio retreated a step. I held Ethan's hand, stopping him from rushing there. "Trust me."

His glaring eyes softened a bit.

Whatever it was, Mio must overcome it on her own. We can't hold her hand and guide her forever.

"You can go back." Valentina picked up Regina and stood on her feet.

Mio hung her head. "I… can I come?"

Valentina only nodded and strode past Mio. I snuck away with Ethan and headed over to the yard.

"We are following them."

"Can't we help them? Regina needs urgent medical attention."

I pointed at the Buick GSX standing beside my Ford Torino. Valentina and I had similar tastes in cars. Nothing beats the revving sound of this old baby.

I sat inside and glanced at Ethan sitting beside me, his eyes fixed on the door where we came from.

"Are you worried about Regina?"

"A little."

Well, I am worried as well. Though a bit inapt in socializing, she wasn't a bad woman. Her taste in music was amazing as well.

Valentina finally came out and let Regina lie on the backseat. She and Mio took the front seat and the car roared out of the main door.

I twisted the key and the engine hummed.

"Can you be quick?"

My, Honey ordered me? I must oblige!

I kicked up the gears and accelerated the car, stalking Valentina at a steady pace.

This direction, Valentina just had to choose a medical institute owned by my family… It's not her fault since it was the best one in this city. But the grumpy hag might be there.

"Ethan, what would you do if my family rejected our relationship?"

She might pull a few cheap tricks to strain our relationship.

Ethan's eyes froze on me, shaking a little. Even he got cold feet from my mother.

He placed his hand on my shoulder, his gaze unwavering. "I will kidnap you."

His firm answer agitated the butterflies in my stomach. Great minds really thought alike. I fully intended to kidnap him if Mio gave a clear no to our relationship.

"If you are okay with that."

"Always."

Like I would deny a clear chance to run away from my responsibilities.

"Now stop grinning and focus on driving."

"Aye."

A grin spread on my face. I sped up to trail Valentina's car vanishing from sight.

A few minutes later, I stopped the car.

"Wait here." I stopped Ethan from going out.

Opening the trunk, I grabbed a pair of masks and black sunglasses for me and Ethan. This really helped me in saving the heart of a dozen women from breaking or getting stabbed by my cute rival. Both are bad endings in their case.

Ethan's wry smile as he put on the disguise was hilarious. I also disguised my face.

Tada, even my mother can't recognize me now.

We slipped through the crowd. I led Ethan to the intensive care unit wards. That's where the three women will be.

Soon, we found Mio dawdling outside one of the rooms and Valentina sitting with her face covered with her hands.

Let's hope Regina gets over this.

Favorite this chapter if you liked it! You can support me and gain early access to 10 more chapters on Patreon

93