19. The place with Hidden Danger
432 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wei Liuying could understand that Princess Ji Xiaoli avoided the topic because it was unsuitable for noble ladies. With that sentence from the princess, the people began to talk with their friends and all. However, not a single one of them came to Wei Liuying’s table. She was left alone as Wei Xiao Hua walked to Princess Ji Xiaoli while Wei Zilin was talking with others.

‘It’s noisy here,’ Wei Liuying thought to herself.

Unbeknownst to many, she was quietly observing the noble ladies in this room. There were several factions in the politic because of the war for the throne. Even though Emperor Xuan was still healthy and all, it was also the truth that his sons were approaching the age as an adult. They would slowly but covertly built their own factions.

The crown prince was already determined, which made many people already sided on that side. However, it was still unknown who will win in the end because Emperor Xuan himself took the throne from his brother through some schemes. Just a month before Emperor Gao’s death, the crown prince was changed because the previous crown prince had died.

“Subject Wei Zilin greets Princess Ji Xiaoli.”

The voice made Wei Liuying turn her head. She could see Wei Zilin curtsied to greet the princess politely.

“Wei Zilin?” Ji Xiaoli asked with a tone that was filled with question. She turned her head to look at Wei Xiao Hua. “I never knew that you have a younger sister.”

Wei Xiao Hua smiled. “Wei Zilin is my father concubine’s daughter, Princess Ji Xiaoli.”

“Oh, a concubine daughter,” Ji Xiaoli said slowly. Her eyes were filled with a hint of ridicule. “It seems that Wei Household didn’t know the difference between main daughter and concubine daughter.”

Wei Zilin, who was full of smile, stiffened. She thought that she would be able to attract Princess Ji Xiaoli’s attention. However, she didn’t expect that her clothing would instead put her on the bad light.

“My sister is fond of these type of clothing,” Wei Xiao Hua said slowly.

Ji Xiaoli took out her fan and fanned herself. “It’s indeed really good, but to show it outside, I can see that there is bad air here.”

Wei Xiao Hua’s smile faltered a bit. She could guess that Ji Xiaoli was also blaming her for not being able to take care of her sister. Since it was outside, people would be able to see that the concubine daughter was brave to the point of overwhelming the main daughter. That was the kind of image that they inevitably showed.

Most people would only look at the concubine daughter who dressed inappropriately, but smart people would understand that there was the underlying reason. It can be, the main daughter was not favored and didn’t have power. Or the main daughter actually allowed it to happen.

With Wei Xiao Hua’s previous reputation as a stupid lady, people would be more inclined to think of the first. However, Ji Xiaoli was completely different. There was no way she wouldn’t understand that it was actually the second one where Wei Xiao Hua let them thought of her as someone who was easily bullied.

‘Did I move too fast?’

Wei Xiao Hua kept her smile and bowed slightly. “Princess is wise.”

Ji Xiaoli didn’t say anything anymore and moved to other tables. Other noble women and also noble ladies greeted her properly. Wei Xiao Hua was left behind, and she cast a glare at Wei Zilin.

It seemed that she had to change her plan.

Wei Zilin didn’t understand that she was being targeted as she was busy thinking about how to recover her image. There were already several noble women who were pointing fingers at her, saying that someone like her was truly a bad example of a concubine daughter who didn’t know her place.

‘Wei Household will be very lively,’ Wei Liuying thought to herself as she sipped her tea once more. Her calm demeanor made her look as if she was not part of the two ladies.

For the entire banquet, Wei Liuying didn’t leave her seat nor try to engage in any conversation. It looked as if she came here only to become part of the decoration. There were also not many people who even remembered her. Their attention was fully focused on Wei Xiao Hua and Wei Zilin, who created a small scene not long ago.

When they returned to Wei Family Residence, Wei Xiao Hua was in a grumpy mood.

“Miss, are you alright?” Wei Xiao Hua’s servant looked at her Miss worriedly.

Wei Xiao Hua humphed. “The Imperial Family is too smart. I just showed my talent a bit, and they’re already suspicious.”

The servant smiled bitterly. Her name was Qu Tan, and she had already served Wei Xiao Hua for a long time. “Miss has to be careful. Those from the Imperial Family are not simple.”

“I know that,” Wei Xiao Hua said in irritation. Her tone was very casual and impolite, completely different from her usual soft approach and careful wording. “Anyway, arrange a meeting with my Grandma after New Year’s dinner tomorrow. I have some things that I want to talk with them.”

Qu Tan stilled for a moment. She bowed down. “In that case, I’ll do my best, Miss.”

Wei Xiao Hua took the cup of tea on the table and looked at the ornaments on her table. ‘I should just follow the timeline if I want to be safe, but I hate just going with the flow. Besides, there are so many things unwritten there.’

However, Wei Xiao Hua chose not to think too much and walked to her bed in annoyance. The ancient world’s living condition was truly uncomfortable.

“Miss, you’re back!” Xiao Yu beamed when she saw Wei Liuying had returned.

Wei Liuying nodded. “Where’s Xiao Qing?”

“She’s preparing your meal, Miss.”

“Alright. Help me get changed.”

“Yes, Miss!”

Wei Liuying took off the decoration on her head and massaged her neck a bit. She might not wear too many accessories, but she was staying still in one place for a long time. Her neck didn’t feel that comfortable.

“Miss, let me massage you,” Xiao Qing offered when she returned with a tray of soup.

“It’s fine. Give me that soup.”

“Here, Miss.”

Drinking the warm soup, Wei Liuying felt much better. She didn’t have any appetite to eat the food that was prepared on the table just now. All she touched was the tea because the rest didn’t seem to be appetizing. It looked as if it was nothing more than decoration in the palace for the banquet.

“Xiao Yu, from now on, report everything that First Sister does.”

“Yes, Miss?” Xiao Yu was stunned.

Wei Liuying smiled faintly. “I’m thinking that my First Sister is very interesting, so keep a tab of what she did.”

“I understand, Miss.”

Xiao Qing furrowed her brows when she heard the order, but she refrained from saying anything. However, her gaze when she looked at her Miss was filled with worry. It seemed that there would be something big going on in Wei Household considering Wei Liuying’s order. However, she couldn’t think of anything.

All in all, Xiao Qing hoped that it wouldn’t affect Wei Liuying badly.

9