1. The new Beginning
56 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 The Sky was dark, With clouds hovering above the horizon, the overall atmosphere of the town was gloomy. The town lay at the edges of a river which was yellowish in colour due to unknown circumstances, It was completely surrounded by wooden walls at least 3 m tall in height with wooden outposts built on the edges of town for security. A straight dirt road connected from each of the outposts to the centre of the town where lay a magnificent looking mansion at a height much taller than the walls.

 

Even though the mansion looked magnificent compared to other buildings built with wood and stones in the town, it did not look particularly exceptional for travellers who have visited many places. Instead, it looked sorely lacking compared to the barony's capital Esthen.

 

In the eastern side of the town outside the town walls was a huge swath of farmland at least 20 square km in area, that could at least feed all the people of the town. The middle of the farmland had houses built with mud and thatched roof, which looked like it would blow away with just a strong wind coming from different directions.

 

Inside one of the house with a thatched roof, a group of men of all age groups were sleeping soundly even snoring sometimes above a haystack covered with thin clothing, which did not look comfortable at all and even more so with all the insects running around the haystacks. It was an astonishing sight to see, they could even sleep soundly in such situation meant that they had long gotten used to it.

 

A man with ragged clothes suddenly wakes up in a trance, his eyes were closed but beads of sweats were pouring down from his face. From his distorted facial expression, one could easily deduce that he had a nightmare.

 

He slowly opens his eyes to see an unfamiliar surrounding, even though it was dark he could still vaguely determine the overall structure of the place. There was really a pungent smell in the air that forced him, even more, to think that this place definitely wasn't his home.

 

" What the heck?"

 

The man was really uncomfortable, he felt like his whole body was aching and his hands were resting on something spooky. He scans his surrounding to find some black shadows above the haystacks which were lined up in a row on each corner with a wide corridor in the middle. At that moment He had an epiphany that he had gone senile or was dreaming.

 

So, He pinched his hand very hard but nothing happened.

 

" What is your name?..... of course it is han xin. Where do you work..... Some bs corporation in Guandu. And now Where are you?..... damnn I don't know. I was just sitting on my couch while watching tv and fell asleep due to exhaustion. That's the last thing I remember. It's very weird talking to myself but this kind of situation is very vexing, I need to calm down and think properly".

 

Han Xin was a man from an average household who really worked hard to get a job at Fengyun corporation as a management staff. That was one of the proudest moment of his life as the corporation was a billion-dollar company and had an interview failure rate of 90%. At the age of 27 he finally got a secure job and a stable life, his life was going on smoothly until today he suddenly found himself wearing unfamiliar clothes in an unfamiliar place, There was even number 12 written on his tattered shirt.

 

Han Xin calms himself down, slowly gets off the "bed" and walks down towards the exit which was huge open space without a door. Soon he founds out that the black shadows were men sleeping soundly in such a horrible environment. It was amazing how adaptive humans can be, If it were people whom he knew they could never stay there for more than a minute, he mused.

 

" What is this place? It more looks like a horse stable rather than a house. Even the air is so dirty, how can anyone live here?" He walks out of the "door" muttering in low voice,

 

The scenery outside the house was amazing, to say the least as the refreshing and clear wind was blowing with green lush fields occupying his vision, It was serenely beautiful adding to the fact moonlight made the entire field glow, completely different from the atmosphere inside the "horse stable". It was late at night but torches were lit on different places of the farmland.

 

Inhaling the fresh air Han Xin felt really calm and sober. When he was just about to sit down outside the lawn of the house, He hears a shout from someone.

 

" Selwin??? Why are you outside?? How can you walk?"

 

Looking back he sees a man dressed on haggard clothes, with tall and lean build staring at him in confusion. Even though, the man's face was not handsome he definitely had some sort of charisma. The man felt strangely familiar even though he was sure he had never seen him before.

 

"uhh..... I was...Ahhhh!!!....."

 

Before Han Xin could even speak, he felt a sharp pain coming from his head, like a migraine it was so painful that he was on the verge of passing out.

 

" It will be ok don't worry ... I will go bring some water." Shocked, tall and lean man leaves in a hurry with a  bewildered expression.

 

After around 10 seconds, clutching his head Han Xin finally regained some colour in his face. The pain slowly subsided, And instead, new memories were flooding in like waterfall, He could see bits and pieces of the memory of the person called Selwin.

 

The pain completely subsided after a minute and Han Xin slowly started to sort out the memories of the person called Selwin. Selwin was a slave of yin household who had to work daily on the fields owned by yin household, which will then ensure his survival. As a slave from birth Selwin had very little knowledge about the outside world.

 

Author note :- Sorry for cliffhanger. Chapters will all be mostly more than 1000 words.

3