2. Life as a Slave
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Selwin was abandoned by his father 5 years ago, as his father was a slave himself he couldn't buy Selwin's freedom. His father worked for yin household for 30 years to just earn his freedom. In the end, the most important condition to gain freedom is to find someone to replace yourself as a slave. With a heavy heart his father decided to sell Selwin out and gain freedom, for some other slaves it was not even possible even if one fulfilled all the conditions, it would depend on the mood of higher-ups of the yin household. Children of a slave would be a slave for life, There was no way out.

Han Xin could remember bits and pieces of memories where Selwin asked why his father was a slave, But he did not get any concrete answer instead his father had a heavy expression, melancholy and sadness filled with extreme hatred. Looking at his father's painful expression Selwin did not ask further. From what Han Xin could see, Selwin's father was very good to Selwin always looking out for him and worrying about him but after all said and done he was left out in this damnable place was a cold hard truth. The relationship between father and son duo was incredibly complicated.

As for Selwin's mother, Selwin could only see her once in a while with a very little conversation going on between them, which didn't leave any strong impression. She left together with his father leaving him all alone in this god-forsaken place, But as a lady slave of the household what she just had to go through was unimaginable.

Selwin always wondered what would it be like to have a normal family, For a person who was a slave having a normal family with warmth and love was a dream too far away.

Looking at these unpleasant memories, Han Xin was moved, He thought his life was shit but comparing it to Selwin's he had a much more comfortable life.

While Han Xin was contemplating Selwin's life, he hears footstep coming from behind.

" Are you fine?... Incredibly, you can still walk. After all that I thought you will be left here rotting for a month."

The tall and lean man hands over mugful of water looking at him curiously.

" uhh... yea I am feeling fine now. Thanks, man"

Han xin drinks mouthful of water from the mug, water was tasteless and the mug looked dirty on the outside but it was all he could afford at the moment. While he was gulping down the water, he was trying hard to remember why Dwayne was so surprised to see him walk, There was nothing in those memories to tell him what exactly had happened.

"I don't know my head is still hurting and I don't even remember what happened yesterday.... my memory is fuzzy. I am extremely confused right now, can you remind me what exactly happened yesterday?"

The tall and lean man was Dwayne, Selwin's lifelong friend whom he had known since very long, how long exactly, even Selwin himself cant remember.

Dwayne wasn't exactly surprised by Selwin's question rather he took it as a given, What was indeed surprising was how could he walk unharmed after such a heavy collision with a carriage.

" Well, We finished our work in the fields, while returning we ran into a carriage driving fast and you got hit by it pretty hard. You were even knocked unconscious right away but I somehow managed to bring you back to our resting place. You really have amazing vitality don't you?"

Dwayne couldn't make sense out of this unusual situation and rather thought it was all credit to his friend's amazing vitality.

" Ohh now that you said it, that was horrible accident man, it looks like my brain isn't even working properly" Han Xin blurted out scratching his head holding the mug in his hands

" When did it ever work properly?"

Dwayne was used to teasing Selwyn as they both had gone through hardship together throughout their life.

Dwayne was also a slave in yin household from his birth, His father was still working in yin household as a serf who was assigned his farm to take care of. Serfs had higher rights than slaves and were basically like the commoners.

The only difference was serfs were personal holding of the chief knight who ruled over the town while commoners were personal holding of the baron himself who lorded over many chief knights. Rights given were almost the same throughout the valley but sometimes depended on the person ruling over them.

That meant yin household could not convict serfs themselves unlike the slaves instead had to look for the chief knight's institution for public safety. As for conviction itself, how can chief knight's institution fall out with cash cow like yin household for just a petty serf.

Dwayne was rather cheerful, curious and an extrovert who knew almost all the slaves in the yin household. His Father being a serf also did help his standing among the slaves.

"Let's go back and get some sleep tomorrow we still have to work all day in the fields"

Dwayne yawned covering his mouth with his bruised hands

" Yea it seems to be the case but I don't know if I can work tomorrow. My injuries are pretty bad"

Han Xin was perplexed, for a modern man how can he even work at the field all day long, sitting on a comfortable desk and sorting out documents was all he did back at Fengyuan corporation.

Although transmigrating into the body of a poor slave showed all the red flags, He couldn't do anything to get rid of this predicament. The only thing he could do, so that he doesn't need to work like a pig was to run away from this godforsaken place. But if it was so easy then all the slaves would have run long ago, a private militia of yin household guarded the farms 24/7.

There was very little to almost zero chance of running away but Han Xin had almost no other options except to run away.

3