4.Testing Waters
36 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun had already disappeared on the horizon. All the slaves were sent back to the cottage after the heavy work on the fields.

The slaves were dehydrated and exhausted, devil captain distributed some food for the slaves on the fields. Han Xin was the only person to not receive any food that day.

Han Xin was just laying on his "bed" covered with haystack. He was seething with hunger and starvation. He did not know how long can he survive like this.

Even though everyone thought his legs were pretty much wasted, one thing they did not know was his legs were almost healed.

He himself did not know why but as soon as he took over the body of this poor slave, his legs were already almost healed.

Soon, The cottage was hustling and bustling again as slaves returned from the field with rice balls in their hands, chewing and grinding. 

Dwayne was one of the first slaves to enter in a hurry.

"Eat this..." Dwayne bought forward his right hand towards Han Xin revealing a fist-size rice ball.

Han Xin was shocked at first, he did not expect this "friend" to help him so much completely disregarding his own health.

Afterall working in a field whole day was a nightmare in itself, how can someone even share the little food they got after labouring so hard?.

But after thinking clearly bonds Selwin and Dwayne shared was much deeper than friends. Almost like a family, They had gone through a lot of suffering as a slave.

Han Xin thanked Dwayne from depts of his heart and without being polite he started eating like a ravenous beast.

The riceball tasted very bad as rice wasn't even cooked properly and salt was hardly present. Hunger makes the dish better than any ingredients, to Han Xin even the bland riceball became the most delicious dish he had ever tasted.

"Sorry man, I was just too hungry. Did you eat anything?" Han Xin asked licking his lips

"Yea don't worry, I eat one and bought you one"

Dwayne said without hesitation

Han Xin did not know what Dwayne said was true or not but giving him half a portion of his food is already what Han Xin had never expected let alone the whole portion.

Han Xin had spent a lot of time thinking about how to get out of this place. he searched every nook and cranny of Selwin's memory and forged a new plan to run away from this place.

He just didn't know how to get all other slaves on board with his plan, The more slaves he manages to run with the easier it will be to run away during the chaos.

After a while, six-foot giant Ben came to his side and surprisingly he also bought riceball in his hands.

"Dwayne? You really are thin and sickly fellow let me give my portion to Selwin... I will be fine even without eating anything....just look at these muscles".  Ben arrogantly asserted.

"You muscle head only have those muscles to count on. You will be thin like me if you don't eat. "  Dwayne said half-jokingly

"Don't worry I have already eaten you should take care of yourself. besides, I want to talk to you guys about something important"

Han Xin wanted to test waters with his plan. He had never been in this kind of precarious situation in his life.

He really wanted to return back to his comfortable life.

"What is so important? You can't even walk properly, What do you plan to do?" Dwayne was slightly confused what did this friend of his who always liked to get into trouble wanted to say.

"Don't tell this to anyone or else we will all be in trouble...So what do you guys think of running away from this place and living as free people?"

Han Xin blurted out in low voice just to make sure no one will hear them.

"Impossible!!"

Ben was the first one to speak without even thinking. This kind of thing was too terrifying for him to think

"Are you out of your mind!!? do you know what happened to George when he tried to run away? He was executed in the gallows... You shouldn't even think about it"

Dwayne was completely taken by surprise, still he managed to speak in a low voice, unlike ben. he had never even imagined that Selwin will say something so ridiculous.

"Okay okay calm down guys. What if I told you I have a plan to make us free people? Don't you think even animals live better than us? At least they have freedom. Are we lower than beast just because we were born unfortunate?"

Han Xin tries to push forward with his agenda.

"Selwin? Are you bewitched by some witch? What kind of none sense are you spouting?. Do you know what we are doing right now is taboo? we can be sent to the gallows for this"

Dwayne was shell-shocked. There no way he was going to put up with this madness.

It was expected reaction for Han Xin, he knew these bunch who have spent their whole life as a slave will think it as a ludicrous idea.

Their set of beliefs that were formed over so many years was seriously challenged and the first normal reaction would be to thoroughly brand the idea as impossible.

It was understandable and reasonable. This was hurdle Han Xin has to overcome for these two good friends to be on board with his plan.

As he already knew this situation would occur he wanted to brainwash his good friends with ideas of freedom and democracy.

There were many stories from Chinese history or western history where peasants rose up in rebellion to crush their oppressor. At least Han Xin was a little bit better than normal people in history which now he could use it to his advantage.

Once these ideas take root, it will be impossible not to think how nice it would be to get out of here and live a good life. Where there is a will, there will be a way.  it has always been humanity's greatest driving force on their way towards modernization.

"Okay forget what I said, I have a story told by old Ma.. do you want to hear it? "

Han Xin skillfully changed the topic

"Yes please tell me.... old ma stories were always so great. I really miss those days"

Ben chimed in suddenly, He didn't understand the significance of this conversation nor did he cared.

Once he is pumped up he will do anything. Teenagers were normally hotblooded and very rash which perfectly interpreted Ben's character.

2