01 Unto Death – Icarus
33 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unto Death - Icarus
“Now, with our last breath...”

This hurricane would be the death of me—if not for those out to kill me. The storm lasted a couple days with no indication to stop. Those in the scholarly pursuits argued between each other on the meaning of such an occurrence, it was simple for someone like me—this was an omen of the future. I could feel the very skies of Fairview—the lands of those who live beyond the clouds, crying. They wept even now and I knew they would continue until this land was ridded of those who provoked such an emotion. 

I could only imagine how bad the blizzards would be in places like Rivengarde—I express my apologies—but luckily for me, these fringe forests barely caught any snow. Not many people cared much for these forests that bore nothing of the edible kind. Thorns, bushes, carnivorous plants and tall trees that carried branches thick enough to perch on. The wildlife here was sparse—even worse with the unbelievable amount of precipitation. Valleys and hills I’ve come to know were now ponds, lakes and marshland. 

My expertise didn’t lay in the confines of close quarters battle—I lurked far from any sort of confrontation. I steeled my nerves and laid in the expansive darkness that inevitably covers the forest every night. Many would take issue with travelling at the superstitious hours of the night—but this was the only time I felt safe. No animals could see the source of the whisper-like arrows that stuck in their vitals, no men would live to tell the tale of the one who lurks in the trees—I made sure of that. And those demons that now inhabited this wasteful marshland were my next targets.

It didn’t happen overnight. I wasn’t aware of it until it was too late. The unfortunate few who died in absentia were enough to condemn the woods. Any men or women I saw in these thickets were unsavory folk and any other horrific creature of darkness would soon find my moonlit arrows sticking from their hearts—that is what I have tasked myself with. I had to move quickly while the moon still hung high up in the sky. That’s when the atrocities that hid away in caves and holes would creep their way out—looking for anything unlucky enough to be stuck out here.

Those things that laid hidden from plain sight still haven’t noticed my presence. Even with the massive storm clouds in the sky—the moon casted enough light to illuminate the darkest of crevices. However, no natural light would be enough to reveal the spawning pit that these horrors originated from. Once I can find the source—I could quell the demon threat slowly and methodically. Only then will these forests become what they once were—a haven for those who were lost. 

I strayed from the ground and slowly traversed the thick, web-like branches that spanned the entire forest. The only fauna I found above these branches were the styxion crows. Odd birds that hunt their prey at night. I frequently feel them stalking me—sizing me up. All it takes is a nock of an arrow and the draw of the bowstring to make them back off. Only the crows and I inhabited this mist-covered level of the forest—and like the crows, I waited for my prey to reveal itself from the underbrush.

The way the amalgamation moved was enough to send shivers through the most battle hardened veterans. The way the limbs undulated—it was unlike anything this world has ever seen. The seemingly endless slime that oozed out of the porous skin emanated a smell akin to death. Many thought this kind of being to be the end result of demonic transformation—but I knew exactly it was. This kind of hell-being meant I was close to the spawning pit. The closer you got, the more foreign the beings became. I rested my right hand along the tree trunk and applied a bit of force to it—it was strong and sturdy. Next, I took my left hand and slowly pulled my shortbow from its loose holster.

The creature writhed along the puddles and dug through the molasses-like layer of dirt. It didn’t have any clear purpose or goals in mind—these creatures were as intelligent as mere bugs. I crouched low on the branch and took a deep breath. The air was damp and covered in heaving rain. I closed my eyes and drowned out the ever grating sounds of the rain. It was important I kill it instantly and I needed concentration for that. Leisurely, I focused my breathing down to a minimum and sharpened my hearing well beyond the radiance of the rain. I could hear its every movement, I could hear every small shrub and tuft of grass getting consumed by its blightful presence. I could feel the dirt dislodging and the sinking water. 

Even with my eyes closed, I could see it now. My eyes—behind their lids—traced the being. I slid an arrow—slick with rain—and rested it upon my nocking point. I let my breath escape to leave a small cloud of mist upon the frigid air. I pulled back the bowstring and brought the fletching close to my cheek. I opened my eyes and pulled the release trigger.

The silent atmosphere once again consumed the night around me. The discordant flailing of unholy life was now stilled by my hand. I took another deep breath as I calmed down my nerves. I slipped my bow into its holster on my lower back and looked down upon the creature. I confirmed my kill—the body didn’t dare twitch. I must have waited tens of minutes before elevating myself and continuing on my trail.

It was important that each and every vile infestation of this land be dealt with. It was important that I was the one to deal with them. I couldn’t trust anyone else with the gravity of this duty. I’ve seen the types that crowd around soldier ranks. The sadistic abuse and the apathy of those who populate seats of power disgust me. Not once would I ever lay my life on the line for them. The people I save were only an effect of my means—not my ends. My goals laid further beyond the confines of what was considered sane. I seeked to end this scourge not only from Fairview—but the entirety of AEROIS.

Even speaking that name brought distaste to my mouth, but there wasn’t any other term. I noticed the vast infestation of this blight coincided with the formal relations that the astrals seeked earlier this year. Even the dampest of torches would understand what that meant. The astrals brought something with them—whatever this plague was. The more I hunted these beings the more my hatred for AEROIS grew. The desecrated bodies and unmentionable states I’ve seen them in...

I swallowed heavily and fought back my urge to throw up. The state of my being was fading away, but a rest would only delay me further. I needed to end this tonight. I’ve wasted too much time—no one else needs to be caught up in this mess. My boots barely made a sound, but whenever they did—I’d freeze. The amount of places anyone could be hiding—the amount of places I could be shot from, it all terrified me. I knew no one would be out here but I could never shake the innate fear that resounded my bones whenever I walked along the branches. 

I happened upon it by chance. I reasoned a couple hours of searching—but today was lucky. I saw the hole that these creatures were spawning from. It wasn’t a cave nor some sort of valley. All these infestations were the same—a well. The very same type of well you’d bring fresh water from. I couldn’t believe it at first, but I could never forget descending into my first well. I was consumed with thoughts about my missing family—I didn’t know just how deep the depravity of living beings could go. 

I pulled my bow out of its sling and nocked an arrow onto it. I reached my right hand into my waist bag to produce a small collection of black spherical pellets. With a quick flick of my hand I tossed a few towards the entrance of the well. In an instant I pulled the arrow back and aimed right for the falling pellets. Through the torrential rain and the whistling wind—I let my arrow fly. It striked a pellet and ignited a blanket of fire that blew the rest up. Even in this rain the pellets had enough heat to spread the fire among anything that laid below the well.

I could smell the burning of flesh and I could hear the silent screaming of those who suffered within. The soundscape was a symphony that was well worth the trip. I could hear the cries of those disgusting creatures—they were dying by the dozen down there. The fire would spread wildly and without control. Thankfully—the fire would never spread out of the well and into the storm. My work was done here. All that’s left was to wait for it to come out. 

It must have been dozens of minutes but not over an hour.  The being I searched for was the host. These beings take the form of many. I’ve seen them as humans, animals and sometimes even as pools of impossibly thick liquid. No matter the form, they die all too quickly. They never exist in any capacity such as their own. The parasitical life they led was revolting. I do not envy those who get possessed by this cancer. This host was no different from the rest—it was hiding in a human’s skin. It’s hands scrambled on the edges of the well—most of its body was blackened from the fire. Small patches of burning embers still remained—now being snuffed out by the rainfall. 

I waited a few seconds longer—I enjoyed the sight of it struggling. I wanted it to falter its way right where I planned—on the ground below me. I pulled one of my last arrows out and braced myself. I would only have a few seconds to get the timing. The host grabbed onto a nearby tree and pulled itself up. The noises that escaped from its mouth irritated me far worse than the rain—something by design. The host then started a slow limp walk—it was looking more human by the second. 

I let my legs slide me off the branch I was perched on. I went careening towards the ground at an almost unmanageable pace—but I was prepared for it. I landed right beside the host—mud and water splashing everywhere. It was only a span of a few milliseconds, but it was enough to draw my bow back and unleash an arrow aimed straight at the vital core of the host. Before the mud splashed back down, before the water reached the pool—my arrow left my bow. My arrow hit my target and my arrow killed my target—all before it even knew what was happening.

This was the battle I was awaiting for weeks. I slowly worked my way through these woods just for this moment. Just for the singular spawning monster to die. With the death of this horrid beast, none more would continue to creep from the well. I stood in silence as I watched the body of the host twitch and move unnaturally before eventually coming to a stop. The outer skin—the human being it inhabited started to decay in seconds. I closed my eyes and sang a hushed prayer. If I listened closely, I could almost hear someone thanking me.

...Unto death. I finished my speech and gathered myself. The hurricane was still hitting hard, but this moment seemed almost—serene. I brought my bow up to the sky and I looked towards the moon. What now? I was done here, but what about the rest of the world? How many days would I have to travel to get to Ironwatch? I’d have to pass through the Hellfront to get there anyways. Even the most steeled Rivengarde officers shudder at the thought of serving there. I let out a little chuckle and let the rain wash away the grime and mud that covered my clothes.

I closed my eyes once again. The rhymes of a poem long lost to time—the stanzas of the prayer I always utter started to come to me again.

“Your journey ends,
time well spent with friends.
You’ve dispelled the curse,
fought against the universe,
all for this quiet place to immerse.

The warm fire, the comforting silence-
Our wish, for this to be timeless.
Now, with our last breath-”

“...Unto Death.” A voice reverberated along the dropping rain. It carried itself like a knife. The voice cut me straight out of my reverie. I pulled my bow down and stayed silent as I looked for the source—nothing in my immediate surroundings showed anything. I turned my body around and looked in circles. The voice was bouncing in my head, I was working overtime trying to locate it—but at the same time I felt oddly calm. The panic that should have set in by now was escaping me, a faint smile decorated my face. I tried to fight it—but memories of my life I locked away were now flooding into me. I haven’t heard a person speak that phrase in years. Just hearing it was enough to engulf me. I let my body rest in this moment’s embrace before grounding myself back into reality.

“...Show yourself.” I asked to the storm. No answer came back.

“Unto...death. Quite the phrase, huh?” The voice continued. I turned quickly towards the source—it came from my immediate behind.

“As if you’d know what that means.” I replied to him. He stood on the weathered stones of the well. His presence was emanating some sort of pressure that seemed to pop my ears. The irides in his eyes were dazzling gold and they seemed to shine even in this horrible weather. His short hazel hair was slickened by the rain and the white cloak he wore was heavily discoloured by the mud and dirt. If I focused enough—there was maybe a hint of gold.

He jumped down off the rim of the well and into the water. With a loud splash, more of his clothing got dirtied.

“Would you believe me if,” He trudged through the water towards me, his pants and boots must have been soaked now. “I told you—I knew everything about you?” A sickening smile crept up his face.

“If I didn’t?” I replied dryly.

“You’d miss out on something that’ll change your life.” He mused. I pulled back on my bowstring—my arrow already set.

“It better be worth my time...”

0