Chapter seventy-five
53 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Don Carano's New Year's Eve party was more than famous. It was The Social Event Of The Year, with all the capital. Every year, the Don invited the most important, influencing, rich and popular people all across the country. Actors, politicians, artists, members of the royal family, athletes, media personalities from the TV and the internet. If someone got invited, that was a surefire sign that the person officially made it, that they were important.

This year's guest list had some surprising names on it. Robert wasn't thrilled about the party, but he thought it was a great opportunity to bury the hatchet, or at least take the first step towards it. Even though the invitation was clearly a media stunt, he decided to make the most of it. 

The others were just excited about the free food and alcohol, and Robert couldn't blame them. He had to admit, Don Carano knew how to throw a party. Live music, buffet and a lot of expensive booze. And, of course, even more security measures: everyone had to give up every magical item at the entrance and guards were everywhere. The party itself took places in one of the most luxurious hotels in London, on the top of one of the skyscrapers that ruled the city's skyline. 

The ballroom was a huge open place with glass walls at one side and a balcony. The band, which was way too famous for a gig like this, had a little stage at one corner, and on the right side long tables offered all kinds of foods and drinks, but the middle was empty, waiting for dancers. Robert spotted a football-player talking to a ridiculously beautiful soap-opera actress, a Duel-player he couldn't name but remembered got beaten by Claire a few weeks earlier, the Secretary of State and Home Department, an author whose books he actually liked a lot, and that was the point when somebody else recognised him.

She was a tall woman, somewhat slim but her red dress didn't hide her curves. Her golden hair was tied into a complicated-looking bun, leaving her neck and naked shoulder free. 

'Mr. Montgomery, what a nice surprise!' she said with a charming smile. Her blue eyes sparkled excitedly. 'I heard rumours that you might show up here tonight, but I didn't think that was possible.'

'It's actually Professor Montgomery,' Robert murmured. 'I don't think I had the pleasure to meet you before, Ms…?'

'Oh, excuse me!' the woman giggled. 'How rude of me. I'm Vicky Walt, from The Guardian.'

'Right,' Robert nodded. 'I've read your article about the problems of magical education.'

'I suppose you disagree with the idea, given that your father is one of the loudest opposers,' she said.

Robert grabbed two glasses of champagne from a trey of a walking-by waitress and gave one of them to Vicky.

'Not at all,' he said then. 'I'm not my father.'

The reporter looked surprised for a moment, then her professional smile returned.

'How interesting,' she said. 'Can I quote you on this?' she was already grabbing her little bag, looking for her phone, ready for an interview.

'God, no,' smiled Robert. 'I'm not some kind of celebrity, I don't do interviews.'

'You are a celebrity,' said Vicky. 'You and your friends, too. Everyone wants to know more about you and your heroic actions.'

Robert took a sip of his drink to avoid answering. The reporter continued.

'You fought with zombies and with those golem-creatures, you stopped that Priest guy… You are all heroes. People would do… Anything… To get to know you better,' she stepped closer to Robert. 'And I would also do anything to be the reporter who satisfies… Every demand.'

Robert cleared his throat. He wanted to say something casual or meaningless, just to break the mood of the moment, but the woman grabbed his arm. 

'Let's dance,' she said.

'I don't dance,' the man answered quickly.

'You do with me,' she smiled and put her glass down on a table, then did the same with Robert's. 'It's not like you are here with someone, right?'      

The music was slow enough for Vicky to press her body against Robert's. They moved slowly, following the rhythm.

'Why are you so tense, Robert?' she asked in a low, flirty voice. 'It's just dance… Or maybe there is a lady, waiting for you at home, who would disapprove?'

'Not exactly… Oh, I see what you did there,' he smiled. 'You are good, Miss Walt. Very good.'

'Please. Vicky. And I know… I always got what I want, one way or another.

'Not this time, I'm afraid,' replied Robert. He couldn't look around properly now, but he knew that Jenna was somewhere in the room. He also knew that she won't be happy to see her man dancing with a beautiful woman. 'I do not doubt that you do get what you want,' he added. 'But I like to keep my personal life exactly that: personal.'

Vicky smirked and shook her head. 

'So there is a lady, after all,' she said. 'What a shame.'

Robert didn't answer. The last thing they needed was an article in some celebrity-oriented column about their relationship. People already talked, there were rumours, this fire didn't need more oil. Especially not right there and then surrounded by Don Carano's guards.

'C'mon, threw me a bone here,' Vicky smiled. 'At least a metaphorical one. Do we know the lucky lady? You know, there is a popular theory, I've seen it several times in the comment sections of articles about you two…'

'Oh, yes,' Robert smiled as casually as he could. 'Isn't it what teenage girls call "shipping"? They would really like it to be true, but I'm afraid I will disappoint them.'

Vicky sighed. 

'That's disappointing indeed. You and Miss Carano could have been the power-couple of the year. The heroes who saved us…'

Ironically, the hero who saved Robert from having to answer was Don Carano and Jenna.

'Robert Montgomery, my dear boy!' blasted the Don, shouting the music over. Heads turned to their direction. 'I'm so glad you could make it!' 

He was just a little taller than Jenna, with receding black hair and a starting beer-belly. He wore a suit that was worth more than Robert's car. Or flat. The Don smiled, but only with his lips: his dark brown eyes remained cold.

Robert happily left Vicky's hug, but Don Carano grabbed his hand with both of his and shook it wildly. There was no escape for Robert just yet. He murmured something politely.

'We were just talking about you,' said Vicky, looking at Jenna. She didn't return the reporter's smile. 'Robert here just denied the rumours about you two being a couple.'

Vicky tried to read Jenna's face, but before the girl could have answered, Don Sebastiano laughed out loudly. Maybe even a little too loudly.

'As lovely as this sounds,' he said, releasing Robert's hand at last, 'I'm afraid it's highly unlikely. In fact, I think my daughter just had a dance with a handsome young gentleman, who might or might not be the member of the royal family,' he winked at Vicky and hugged Jenna's shoulder. 'Of course, it's not my business, but I think they agreed on a date…'

Vicky's face brightened up for that. She opened her little handbag again, probably in a hope of an interview. 

'Is that so?' asked Robert, looking at Jenna. The girl rolled her eyes. She was breathtakingly beautiful in her black dress. Her hair was tied into a bun on the top of her head, leaving a few curly locks free.

'Well, Robert, don't let me keep you from your lovely company,' the Don said, patting him on the shoulder with his free hand. 'I just wanted to thank you that you helped out my Jenna in these trying months. She couldn't do it without your help,' and with that, Don Carano left, taking Jenna with him. 

'That was… Something,' Vicky said, looking at them as they crossed the ballroom. 'Would you agree that Ms Carano played a key role in keeping everything dangerous at bay in the last couple of months?'

'Certainly,' said Robert. 'Please, excuse me, Ms Walt, I need to talk with a friend.'

He left before the woman could have objected. He did see Martin, indeed, near to the opened glass doors that led to the balcony. The boy looked nervous and kept trying to loosen his bowtie by sticking his finger behind his collar. The suit he wore must have been Marcus's: it was way too expensive for Martin's usual style. 

'Are you having fun, Martin?' Robert asked.

The boy shook his head. 

'I dunno, boss, these aren't really my people, you know? I wish Benjy was here, we could laugh at the snob pricks together… No offence.'

Benjamin, though he was invited too, couldn't make it: it wouldn't be wise for him to attend an event with a lot of free alcohol. 

'None taken,' grinned Robert. 'I've been told, several times, mostly by Jenna, that I'm one of those "snob pricks". I'm working on it.'

'Nah, you are cool, boss,' Martin smiled. 'But there was this guy, he had a monocle, can you believe it? Like the Monopoly-guy. And he asked my opinion about vampire rights… Well how should I know, right? I'm just a chef. Like, leave the poor sods alone, they've got enough problems already, right? But the Monopoly-dude was like "yes, but we have to accept that they are less than human", so I told him to fuck off or I will hit him, and he was all offended and whatnot…' Martin shook his head again. 'See, not my people.'

'For the record, you did good,' laughed Robert. 'Vampire rights are a very difficult question, but I don't think that…'

'Boss, don't make me wanna hit you, too, okay?' groaned Martin. 'I'm just here 'coz Marcus said I have to be.'

'Fair enough,' nodded Robert. 'Where is he, by the way?'

'Just find the hottest girl around, he will be on her side, as usual,' said Martin. 'Case in point,' he bobbed towards something behind Robert's back.

He turned. Marcus did find some beautiful company for himself indeed: Vicky. Although Robert was fairly sure that in this case the company had found him, and was about to bombard him with questions and ambiguous comments.

'Well that can't be good,' murmured Robert.

'Who is that chick?' Martin asked.

'A reporter who will eat you for breakfast if you aren't careful enough,' answered Robert. 'Hopefully Marcus will be thinking with his brain, instead of… You know.'

'I wouldn't bet on that, boss,' said Martin. 'It's Marcus, after all.'

Robert sighed. He knew that Marcus wouldn't say anything compromising on purpose, but he was also a horny goofball. How he could be an agent of the MAGE, it was beneath Robert. 

'Look, there is Claire and Remy,' pointed Martin.

The two of them were dancing, Claire with the moves of a born dancer or fighter which couldn't be easy since she had to make sure that Remy won't step on her feet. The boy wasn't a good dancer at all, but it seemed like Claire didn't mind it. She was very pretty in her green dress, and they actually looked good together.

'I'm gonna go and say hi,' Martin said but Robert grabbed his arm.

'I think if you do that now, you will experience why Claire is a Duel-champion. I'd stay away for now.'

'You mean… Nah, Remy never mentioned anything,' said Martin.

'Not sure Remy knows about it, but they are dating nevertheless,' said Robert. 'Leave them be.'

'How could Remy not know that they are dating?' wondered Martin, watching them dancing. 

'Well, men are very simple creatures,' said Rose, who just appeared out of nowhere. 'Sometimes you guys need the right push. And sometimes you just cannot take a hint, even if the hint is us saying "would you please take me out on a dinner already?" It's adorable but frustrating.'

She looked amazing and she knew it. Martin's chin actually dropped looking at her, and she smiled a little. She opted for a red dress, just like Vicky Walt, but hers was a different cut, highlighting her cleavage.

'Where did you come from?' asked Robert.

'Been hiding on the balcony, some drunk actor was chasing me with his undying love. I suppose "undying" means "until morning" in this case,' she shrugged. 

'I will never get the guys like that,' said Martin, giving some champagne to Rose. 'Like, if the girl says no, so what? Just ask another. You don't have to be a dick about it.'

'And they say chivalry is dead,' grinned Rose. 'Teodore is coming.'

The man was cutting through the crowd indeed. He wore a black suit with a black shirt and a black tie. That was his every-day attire, he didn't step out of his comfort zone. He looked tired.

'What happened to you?' asked Martin. 

'First, my uncle wouldn't shut up about how some second class Earl or Duke or whatnot asked Jenna out, then that Walt woman found me… I need a drink.'

'Been there,' shook his head Robert, and the two men exchanged a friendly look.

'What Earl did what with Jenna?' frowned Martin. 'Boss, are you okay with that?'

'Not necessarily but I got the impression that Jenna wasn't really keen on this whole thing, either' he said. 'Besides...' he added, lowering his voice so the people nearby won't hear them. '...our relationship is still a secret, remember? She didn't really have a choice.'

'Well, you could still have a dance with her,' pointed out Rose. 'And Dr Carano needs to attend the dance-floor, too,' she grabbed Teodore's arm and took him away. 

'I cannot figure this girl out,' sighed Martin. 'Isn't she with Benjy now?'

'I think she is still figuring out herself,' said Robert. 'But yes, I believe they will end up together, eventually.'

He spotted Jenna again. She was talking to a tall blond man and her father, although she wasn't actually the one who talked. She looked like someone who was very bored but tried to hide that politely. She caught Robert's eyes and smiled a little, said something to her companions, then left them. Robert followed her with his eyes as she walked up to the toilets, then changed her direction and disappeared in the crowd. 

'Excuse me,' he said to Martin and went after Jenna. Rose was right, after all: even though they had to hide their relationship, there was no rule against an innocent dance.

Hey guys!

As I've already mentioned, I have some problems with keeping up the pace of this story. So in order to keep the quality as high as I possibly can, the next chapter will be up next Saturday, instead of Wednesday. From now on I will try my hardest to post twice a week, but there will be weeks when it just won't happen. 

Anyway, as always, please rate and review and maybe support me, too, if you can, you can find my PayPal and Patreon at every chapter (although the latest one is inactive at the moment, I will eventually figure out a way to make it interesting and worth paying for), or just come back and enjoy the next chapter. See you next week!

0