Adapting to life
553 13 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A young child's body twitches slightly as he peacefully sleeps underneath a medium-sized tree. It's a lovely sight. A picturesque view of childish innocence…

The child looks completely at ease, he must have been exhausted from playing for him to be here. Either that or cloud watching, his young mind must've been trying to ascertain what each cloud looks like, maybe A Dragon? A Person? A dog? Only he'd know.

Perhaps he just loves sleeping, maybe he loves the outdoors as well. After all, a nice nap couldn't harm anyone. Especially not here. An ideal sight for an upbringing. An ideal view of a young boy.

Yes...He is completely normal.

What else could any rational person possibly perceive this sight as?

While it is true that this might seem like some of the above, it is not. This child is not normal.

He is anything but normal.

Truly, looking closer at him, that much is clear.

Looking at him, we can see that he is asleep, his legs are spread apart and are lying on the cool grass. He seems to be wearing no socks but was instead wearing what seemed to be a pair of worn-out slippers which looked secondhand.

On his short legs are baggy jet black shorts. They also appear to be second hand.

Above that, a little bit of his hairless pale abdomen can be seen. As his hands are outstretched, his white t-shirt is slightly pulled up to allow that sight. The rest of his torso is covered by that same white t-shirt.

It was a plain t-shirt that would look unattractive and dull on most other children but not this child as it only further enchanted his pure look.

The child's left armrests on his tummy. Moving upward again is the child's slightly tilted head, his face aims a bit to his left, what truly grabs attention however is his physical appearance …

The boy is very cute, pale skin with slightly rosy cheeks, his slightly open mouth reveals pearly white teeth which makes one wonder how his smile would look.

The boy also possesses handsome features topped off with lush black hair. Underneath his hair is his right hand, his arm bent at the elbow.

Definitely an above-average normal child it appears on the exterior.

Within this child, however... Controlling this child's mind, however…

Exists something dangerous…

Above the boy is a tree surrounded by a small patch of neatly trimmed grass filled with leaves which the boy rests on. There are dozens of young children playing in the area around here.

Surrounding this tree are a few old fashioned buildings, looking around, there is a pathway that leads to the entrance of the land the boy rests in.

And above the entrance archway reads a sign that simply says "Musutafu City Orphanage" in a rather bold font.

Back to the boy... He seems to be waking, his eyelids simultaneously open and his dark grey eyes are shown. They gleam with an unreadable emotion before regaining clarity. Now the emotion in the eyes was readable if one looked into his eyes the only thing they would find would be complete calmness ill befitting a child.

It was a rather disorienting experience for Akira when he became conscious again. He woke up to find himself lying under a tree. Stretching his now little arms, he sits up propping himself against the tree fighting a yawn.

'Hmm...so it was all real huh?'

Suddenly out of nowhere, a flood of foreign memories engulfed him and he felt a sharp pain in his head.

"Ouch!" he said as he rubbed his temples to alleviate the pain but it didn't seem to do much. After a few long seconds, the pain finally subsided and he felt a little better.

He started recalling new things now and the information influx included the knowledge of every person he "knew" here. Mainly there were only 2 people he knew.

Apparently "he" had been a quiet boy till now and didn't have many friends which he didn't mind as he can make friends now if he really tried. The word friend didn't hold the same meaning for Akira since most people he "befriended" were for benefits or as pawns.

He did make some friends and he enjoyed manipulating them but he never had any real friends or at least not the kind people commonly had. To him, a friend was a gift you gave yourself.

Coming back to "his" close ones now, the first one was one of the caretakers. She was a sweet, gullible sister type of woman and she liked '"his" cuteness and loved teasing him.

Her name was Ayame as far as he knew, he didn't know much about her but then again he was a three year old so that was to be expected.

The other one was an orphan like him who grew up with him here. Saya was a girl a year older than him. She was very obsessed with him just because he was "kind" to her even though she was quirkless.

'Quirkless people would make good pawns or minions but I will have to train them..' were his thoughts on quirkless people. They might not be good at combat but that didn't mean they weren't useful.

Akira put these thoughts away as his stomach started growling. Taking that as a queue, he stood up from his position and started making way towards the building.

It was a bizarre experience for Akira as everything seemed bigger now that he had become smaller. Being a three year old, his short legs didn't let him cover more distance.

He observed his surroundings more and saw a few kids playing around and they were all wearing worn-out clothes similar to him.

He was quite surprised that Orphanages still existed, he had been half expecting to wake up in foster care being passed around families or settling in one. Orphanages were expensive to run after all.

He soon reached the building and made his way to the kitchen using his memories. On his way there, he bumped into someone. Preoccupied in his thoughts, he hadn't been paying attention to his surroundings.

*thud*

"Ouch," a feminine voice rings in his ears. He had to look up to see who it was and it turned out to be the caretaker  Ayame or as in "his" memories Ayame-nee chan. He had bumped into her and she had nearly tripped but still managed to hurt herself.

Her face changed when she saw who it was and a smile formed on her face. "Aki-chan, so it was you! I nearly didn't notice you there..you are quiet as always."

She bent down to his level and pinched his cheeks and Akira complied as he knew better than not to resist according to his memories.

"Now where were you heading off to in such a distracted state?" she asks after removing her hands from his red cheeks.

Akira rubbed his hands over his red cheeks to soothe them and answered in a sleepy voice nearly letting out a yawn, "...Sorry...Aya-nee, I just woke up and was feeling hungry so I was heading towards the kitchen to grab something to... eat."

"You just woke up huh? Where were you sleeping Aki-chan, I would have loved to see your sleeping face, it's always so...cute nya~"

It was at this moment that Akira recalled that Ayame was a catgirl or well her quirk was one of those mutant ones and it gave her cat-like features. The former him didn't find them special as such features were quite common in this world but the "him" from Earth was pleasantly surprised.

Ayame's quirk was a hereditary one and it gave her cat traits. Akira didn't know about it much but now his eyes were glued to her twitching ears.

Growing up in Japan in his last life, it would be a lie to say that he hadn't been affected by the "culture" there. He was not extremely obsessed with otaku culture but he had a moderate interest.

He liked cats as he had one when he was a kid and didn't know how different from others he was. Ignorance was indeed bliss and he had lived a happy childhood with his parents.

Catgirls were cute in his eyes and he always wondered if they had two pairs of ears. Seeing his gaze on her ears, she asked, "What are you looking at, Aki-chan?"

"Can I...touch them?" Akira asks with a curious glint in his eyes. He knows that it doesn't line up with his character of a quiet boy here but he has to start somewhere. He knew he couldn't drastically change his pre-established character so he decided to slowly change it to what he needed, it would be suspicious to act out of character out of nowhere after all.

He always found it ridiculous when transmigrated characters acted out of character but the people around him wouldn't find it strange and those who did believed the shallow excuses given by the Mc.

Ayame was surprised by his request as Akira had never shown any interest in them or maybe he had but was too shy? She didn't mind it and even felt happy at his interest.

"Oya~ Aki-chan wants to touch Aya-nee's ears~ then go ahead." She bends further until her head is closer to Akira and after that, she feels his soft little hands touch her ears and she almost lets out a shriek as he gently caresses it.

"They are soft…" Akira mutters and her ears twitch upon hearing that.

"Mou~ Aki-chan, be gentle with them, they are….nyaa~...ticklish."

It takes a while before he lets go of her ears. Goosebumps had risen all over her hand due to vigorous ear rubbing.

"A-are you satisfied now?... Why were you suddenly interested in them anyway?" she asks, fixing her messy hair.

"..Well I was always interested in Aya-nee's ears but was too scared to ask.."Akira replied.

That was false as the previous Akira didn't have any interest in it but the current one was. Now that his fantasy was fulfilled, Akira wanted to fill his stomach so he parted from Ayame and made his way towards the kitchen.

Seeing Ayame made the reality sink in that he was not in his world anymore and also made him realise that he had to let go of the ideals he carried from his world. He knew that this world may be fictional but now it wasn't due to the Creator so if the world was anything like his world then it didn't revolve around a few characters.

Besides, it would be stupid to adopt the common sense of his world here. He was not in his home grounds but was in an unfamiliar place and the first thing one should do in such places is to blend in. When in Rome, do as the Romans was the quote he had to live by until he had enough power.

'I wonder what food you get here...hope it is edible' were his thoughts as he finally reached the kitchen.

14