Chapter 91: I Hate You
2.4k 5 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So we're now a chapter in to my new arc and we'll be starting a bit of the backstory that will weave it's way through the entire story from now on. Although it'll mostly be fluffy goodness for a while. Our chapter starts out with Rose confronting the aspect that caused so many issues throughout the last few chapters and we get to see some of the motivations of the various parties going forward. Next chapter will be the start of the trip.

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Mind Palace Throne Room - Rose's POV -

[Is this new?] - Rose

Awed by the room I'd been brought to I found myself reflexively asking about it as I was guided by two maids of different races to an ornate throne overlooking a wider space. I hadn't seen this before in my Mind Palace and I could only vaguely keep track of everything happening in it so coming upon a place I'd never seen before wasn't out of the question. Although you'd think that wasn't the case from the looks of confusion and shock on the faces of the two guiding me. Their surprise at my question seeming to stem from some sort of dogmatic view of my power as their supposed Goddess.

[Oh the Goddess of Mercy must be teasing us, this is your Throne Room of course. As you well know obviously.] - Cat-Eared Maid
[I think it must be a test, Roxanne, the Goddess Rose is just seeing how we would respond to guests.] - Fox-Eared Maid
[Ah! I did not consider that, Inari! Apologies Goddess, I beg your forgiveness for not realizing the truth.] - Roxanne, the aMeowsing Maid
[R-Right. Is Logic almost here?] - Rose

Still uncomfortable with the deference the people of my inner world showed me I decided to just roll with their idea rather than try to explain that I wasn't really a Goddess, for what would have been the hundredth time at this point. Ever since gaining control over my Mind Palace it had continued to expand at a constant rate for the most part, the size marked by a sort of fuzzy border where reality seemed to simply cease. And in these many months I'd attempted multiple times to explain that I wasn't some sort of Divine; to absolutely no success, I might add.
Each time I explained this world it would only reinforce the thought that I was their creator in the minds of my inner world’s residents, which was more or less correct to be honest. Didn't make it any less uncomfortable though.

[I'm here my Goddess. I trust you weren't waiting long?] - Logic
[Not long, so what's up? You said you wanted to talk?] - Rose
[Ah, we'll leave you two alone, Goddess of Mercy.] - Roxanne, the aMeowsing Maid
[It was an honor to escort the Goddess Rose.] - Inari, Foxy Maid Extraordinaire

Hearing a voice behind me I turned away from the work of art that seemed to be my throne to see the familiar face of my previous body. Forcing away the wave of nausea I always got when I saw him I smiled as gracefully as possible while asking why he'd called me into this world rather than just talking with me like he normally did. It wasn't often that he actually asked me to visit, after all.
Nodding at my question he directed a gaze to the two maids that hadn't yet left us, their curious faces immediately paling at the look as they quickly excused themselves, hurrying out of the room and saying their goodbyes.

[To have them to leave like that, whatever you want must be really important. Well before that what's up with this Throne Room? Oh and the giant godsdamned castle that wasn't here literally a few days ago?] - Rose
[Ah yes, well it seems that your... conflict with the Summoned Hero and the... events that led to his demise have developed your strength even further. This planet has now grown to nearly double its original size.] - Logic
[And the castle?] - Rose
[Oh yes, I believed it was important that you had a dedicated sanctuary for private matters. With your... discomfort around your subjects it made sense to mold some of the increased power flowing into this world into this fabrication. You'll find that it concentrates a portion of the Mana into a battery of sorts for use in whatever endeavors you see fit. I'll be happy to show you around after we finish what I called you for.] - Logic
[Hah... sometimes I forget which of us is in the driver’s seat... Go ahead.] - Rose

Watching the two of them leave I decided to bring up the thing I'd been thinking this entire time. What the hell happened to my Mind Palace?! I mean sure there were structures starting to spring up over the last few months but none of them had been as grand as what awaited me when I appeared in the normal place I went when I came here. Instead of a field surrounded by a few scattered buildings I found myself in a lush garden with intricate stone decorations, many of them reminiscent of my own face and below me a complex magic circle was carved into solid stone. This was all shocking enough but what really drew my attention was an absurdly large fortress before me, sternly lording over the town that had sprung up around it. It was ridiculous that such an object had come into existence within only a few hours, when last I came the only thing greeting me were a few trees and a couple of people milling around.
Of course the even bigger surprise came when I concentrated on the actual number of residents within my inner world and was staggered by the sheer numbers that nearly overwhelmed my mind. They were uncountable, clearly several thousand strong. It was impossible for me to get a clear picture of just how many actually existed, the number too vast for my mind to fully grasp.
Those two as well, those maids from before. They were new existences to this world. I wasn't sure how I could know that but something instinctually told me that they were less than a day old. Yet they acted like they'd been here the entire time and besides myself it didn't seem that any of the other residents realized just how young they all were, it was a bit terrifying actually.
Nodding along to Logic's explanation I promised myself to have a long talk about doing things without being told, going forward. No matter how much it made sense it wouldn't do to have an aspect of myself just doing whatever they wanted. Although he was Logic so I'm sure that even without dire- No! No no no! I have to make sure he doesn't do something insane like this again without telling me first. Resolve in mind I decided to get on him about it later, no sense in holding off on the reason he asked me here for a hissy fit.

[Understood. You can come in.] - Logic
[Who are you calling is i- YOU?!?] - Rose
[Yeah, me. From your reaction I'm assuming you kept all your memories then?] - Wrath
[Why is SHE here Logic?!? She's the reason I went ballistic like that, the reason I-] - Rose
[That was all you honey, I only gave you a little push.] - Wrath
[A push?!? Y-You did something to me! You made me see all those... things! How can you call that a little push!] - Rose
[If you weren't such a coward maybe yo-] - Wrath
[Now now, settle down. That isn't why I called you two here.] - Logic
[Hmph!] - Wrath
[Fine...] - Rose

It was Her! The little girl that represented Wrath, my own Inner Hatred at Myself. When Logic had called out for someone to enter I hadn't been sure of what to expect but I hadn't thought it'd be Her.
Strolling out through a heavy looking wooden door the small version of myself slithered into the room with all the confidence of a narcissist into a mirror shop, her sneering face somehow mocking me. What came out of her mouth however, shocked me. Still putting on airs as if she were in control the little doppelganger spoke for the second time ever, the only other time I'd heard her was when she agreed to take over my body.
And what's more is her words, dripping with condescension and hate, grating to the ears as she refuted me. Comparing what she had done to me to a "push" a little PUSH?!? I couldn't stand it, her condescending face, her arrogant eyes as she looked at me as if I were trash. It was too much.
Unfortunately Logic seemed to disagree, stopping us as we were about to leap at each other and tear one another apart.

[Good. Now the reason I called you here is because I want you two to join forces. I've been talking with your Honorable Grandfather and he's mentioned that aspects must be incorporated to fully control a young dragon's Mind Palace.] - Logic
[Cooperate?!? With her? I'd sooner-] - Wrath
[You've been talking with Grampa Mors? Is he here?!? Maybe he can tell me how to get rid of this parasite!] - Rose
[Parasite?!? Why I outta-] - Wrath

And his reason? Stupid! Insane! Completely out of the question! Cooperating with that leech?!? Not in a million years!
Now as far as the other thing he mentioned, now THAT was more interesting. After initially meeting Grampa Mors in my Mind Palace I'd heard nothing from him since, despite attempts to contact him. And that was even after he had told me he'd be watching over me! That lying lizard!
Banking on Logic being able to help me contact my Grampa so I could be rid of this monster I immediately latched onto the idea only for an unexpected yell to interrupt both of us right as we were about to start another argument.

[QUIET! This isn't the time. Now as for your question, yes he is here and technically he's the one that contacted me. An hour ago.] - Logic
[Okay so that means he's prob-] - Rose
[He won't answer you. He didn't even want to share the small amount of knowledge that he gave me. Said it was too early for a child to have but that it was necessary to keep you safe. Spent the whole time treating me like an idiot as he did so too. Regardless he told me that you two have to work together, as well as with any other aspects that form, for this body we all depend on to survive. If you don't, we'll ALL die.] - Logic

I didn't know what to do about this. Grampa had told me that he'd look out for me and since he'd never interfered since he first showed up I figured I was on the right path but now...? I don't know, I wasn't ready to forgive Wrath. I know she only showed me my own memories but still. It was hard, I'd given up with only a couple of interactions. How could I trust her, especially when she'd basically admitted that she did something to me that pushed me to... to do what I did. But this new information- if it was between cooperating or dying only one option was acceptable. I couldn't keep leaving my loved ones behind, not after what happened before.

[Hah... Fine. I don't like it but it doesn't look like we have a choice. Truce.] - Rose
[Fuck that! Do I look like I'd just roll over and work with you pansies? Not happening!] - Wrath
[Wrath.] - Logic
[No! I refuse to work with this coward! After everything she's done? Are you kidding me?] - Wrath
[Wrath... I'm sorry. You're right, I've run away so many times. Both in this life and the last. But I know that with you I'd have the strength the carry myself through that, to not run away. Logic has helped me since we met and... and while I know our meeting wasn't under the best of circumstances I-] - Rose
[STOP! Stop stop stop! None of that sappy shit!] - Wrath

Sighing as I thought of everything that could possibly go wrong I finally agreed. After all this it would be stupid to die because I couldn't stop arguing with what was essentially myself. Gathering my resolve I reached out for a handshake, I wasn't sure why I did that but somehow it seemed the right thing to do.
Unfortunately my resolve meant nothing in the face of the adamant refusal that followed my agreement. Wrath had absolutely no intention of joining with me in any way, her face only showing complete disgust at the hand outstretched towards her. And, she was right. In the last few minutes of interacting with her I'd come to loosely understand why she hated me. It was because of my actions. In the few interactions we'd had together it was more and more clear that Wrath hated incisiveness and cowardice more than anything else. And I had that in spades.
Unfortunately, for both of us, I still had to convince the hostile, even more, loli version of myself that I was genuine. I was sure she'd hold me to it in the future no matter what.

[Wrath?] - Rose
[Fine! Damn you but I can't let us die like this. Not until I take over of course. I accept.] - Wrath
[Great! Okay then I'm not sure what needs to be done but I guess just... shake hands?] - Logic
[Fucking cliché shit, whatever. I still hate you by the way.] - Wrath
[I know. Kind of in the name, after all.] - Rose
[Tch! So are we supposed to just stand here like idiots or- Woah!] - Wrath

So we clasped hands. Awkwardly, hesitantly, but no less sincerely. And... nothing.
Concerned that we'd done something wrong I just about let go of my tinier versions’ hand only to be dyed white by a blinding light blaring from our connection until it overwhelmed both of our senses.


- Ligera Province Capital Building - Robert's POV -

The sound of scratching pens echoed through the halls of the conquered capital building. Its white marble pillars and statues that venerated the God of Light the only witnesses to the melodious sound of a woman that interrupted the sounds of fervent writing. The melodious... complaints.

[Ahh! When can we leave this place? We won right?!? Yet we're still getting punished by not being with our little baby! Argh!] - Lily
[We did win, yes. But war is not just about the battles, even a small war like this. We can't leave until we set up a regional Governor. It would be beyond stupid to win the day only to lose the territory because we didn't make sure to secure it before we left.] - Robert
[Okay so we set up a Governor and then we can leave?] - Lily
[Well after that is setting up a local guard, preparing for a more permanent occupation of our forces, determining which laws to keep and which to change, setting up a system for taxes to go to their proper destinations and various other minor things so we can use the land as effectively as possible.] - Robert
[And how long will that take?] - Lily
[Probably several months at least.] - Robert
[ARGH!!!!] - Lily

And so, the silent watchmen continued to listen to the miserable mother as she lamented her lot in life, her loyalty to her husband keeping her from just leaving him behind to deal with the aftermath. For now.


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
69