Chapter 126: Getting Permission
661 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So, THIS chapter will finish the plot of the last one. I also was unable to smoothly mention a key part of this chapter and also the reason for the title of it. It's quite the important part of the story if we want Aunt Laura to remain at least a little trustworthy and I do since she's one of my more fun characters to write. I understand that people aren't exactly fond of her pushing her agenda in a way that is too obtrusive by modern standards but by most renaissance-era standards she's positively progressive. Honestly all of Rose's world is way more progressive than it has any right to be considering their level of societal development. Having multiple races in close proximity to each other might have something to do with that as well as the influence that multiple reincarnations and summoned heroes would have. What you end up with a bizarre mixture of old-world expectations and modern freedoms which is honestly something that would be frankly impossible on Earth. 

Oh, and as for the central premise of this chapter? I've been planning to gradually introduce other reincarnated non-humans for a while now but hadn't yet decided how to do so in a fluid way until fairly recently. A lot of the information presented in my story is in the form of unreliable narration because it's generally from the point of view of a character "in" the story. As such they will necessarily have incomplete information. Even Gilgamesh, as old as he is, isn't aware of all of the facts. Although that's fairly obvious considering how I introduced him. I briefly mentioned that even Love, Grampa's aspect, was actually a reincarnated person although I never indicated when or where from since I honestly don't plan on elaborating much more on his early life and especially on his past life. Suffice to say he's been in his current form for so long that he probably barely remembers the details himself to be honest.

Anyway, I decided to introduce this story concept this way partly because I liked how it flowed but also because I was tired of writing politics. I've found through these last few chapters that, while I'm fine briefly mentioning relevant political happenings, I absolutely abhor writing politics as the primary theme of a chapter. It's seriously damaging for my motivation, and I also have much more difficulty actually accepting a politics chapter as good enough. Story-driven is more my speed.

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Crossroads, Merchant Lord Aste's Sector - Queen Laura's POV -

The silence that followed my question could have been cut with a knife. King Leo, obviously uncomfortable with the accusation, tried speaking up to break the deafening quiet a few times but the glare from the both of us shut him up immediately. A rude action normally but an acceptable one between friends, even if we were rulers of our own nations. Finally however, after seemingly gauging my expression for possible reasoning, the Councilwoman finally broke our standoff cautiously.

 

[I won't ask why you believe that non-human reincarnation is possible yet as I assume it has to do with the other topic you spoke of. What I am curious about is why you believe that we are hiding a gnome or other person of interest? Are we not obligated as allies, as well as friends, to share new information such as the fact that non-human reincarnation is not as impossible as the Church, as well as historical accounts, has claimed?] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Labyrinth City

[That would be true yes, except I believe that the one you're hiding is important somehow. Perhaps the child of someone high up in your government or military? Regardless of the individual in questions identity I DO have it on good authority that they exist and the knowledge that our previously held beliefs on reincarnation were not as... concrete as was to be initially believed.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis, Delegate of Anguis

[....so, it's true then? Your niece is the Demon Lord?] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Labyrinth City

[At the very least she's not the return of the previous one but... yes, she has title's that indicate that she is the current one.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis, Delegate of Anguis

 

Here it was. What I was asking for here was far more than would be normally possible even between allies or even friends to be honest. The fact that humans weren't the sole destination for reincarnation and even, if the logic was followed, Summoned Heroes, was an extreme threat to the Church of Light. Probably a threat nearly on the same level as the Demon Lord themselves. Even worse was this threat wasn't one they could easily deal with since it's not like reincarnation leaves obvious signs outside of said individuals' family and if they choose to hide it then the difficulty was raised even higher at rooting out what they would likely feel is a blasphemy against their God and perceived superiority. The unfortunate reality is that, while humans were ostensibly in the minority, they were also largely more powerful than non-human countries due to their tendency to band together rather than split into antagonistic groups. My own country being one of the few that had an actual fighting chance on our own in the event of a major war. Most Demi countries did not have the same luxury. 

 

[Haaaaaah... you realize the position you've put me in? Put US in? What do you think of this revelation Jim?] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Labyrinth City

[...First off. Did the little lady give you permission to share her secret? I'm indebted to her too much to be sharing something like that willy-nilly. On top of just liking her personally.] - King Nero, Delegate of Abelis

[I assure you that I asked her if I could share it with those I deemed trustworthy as well as those that it was needed. It took some convincing but she's quite reasonable if you get down to it. Although her banning any dress-up sessions unless given permission first was a bit harsh in my opinion...] - Queen Laura de la Anguis, Delegate of Anguis

[Hahahaha! Yes, that sounds like something she'd ask for. I've only known her for a short time but she certainly did give off the impression of one that was easily embarrassed.] - King Nero, Delegate of Abelis

 

No look of shock came with my revelation of my niece's identity, no disbelief. Both Councilwoman Gorvi and King Nero responded to the new information with a mixture of expectation and resignation. More resignation on Jim's part and the opposite on the Councilwoman's. Not that I'd expected anything different of course. My previous excuses were political at the most rather than actually believable, more plausible deniability than coverup. A different narrative that we could use to push aside most, if not all, suspicions by foreign powers. And, if any of them were bold enough to actually call for it, pushes for handing my adorable niece over to the Church. Not that I'd agree with any such thing of course but it was better to avoid the fallout that would come from fending off such demands.

What WAS surprising though was Jim's concern. I hadn't thought that he was that close with my niece previously, despite the events of the last week. If anything, I was more afraid that he might harbor some resentment due to his son's death. It was one thing to blame the Church when they were only claiming my niece was the Demon Lord, it was completely another to still do so when they were right. I'd hoped that he would still be able to view it objectively and that hope seemed to have born out.

 

[Ahem! So, what you're saying is you, as the leader of a country, are willing to overlook the existence of a being that is supposed to bring about the destruction of our continent at the very least and the world at worst? Is that your official stance?] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Labyrinth City

[Honestly? I'm worried yes, but not enough to betray my longtime friend and her beloved family.] - King Nero, Delegate of Abelis

[Just for tha-] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Labyrinth City

[I've also met the person in question and she's the sweetest little girl you'll ever meet. A bit rough around the edges for a noblewoman perhaps but definitely not the type of person that'll betray her loved ones.] - King Nero, Delegate of Abelis

[Fine. I'll take the two of you at your word until I've the opportunity to meet her in person at the very least.] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Labyrinth City

 

Breathing a sigh of relief that both of my longtime friends and allies had opted to trust in my judgement it felt like a massive weight had been lifted off my shoulders. After the betrayal by several of my closest confidants recently I'd been terrified that they too would tear out another chunk of my heart. I was glad I'd been correct in sharing with them. Although giving up my dress-up privileges to do so was a high price that hurt.

 

[However, I don't see how this has anything to do with the possible existence of some supposed reincarnation we are hiding. I appreciate you revealing such a sensiti-] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Labyrinth City

 

Apparently, it wasn't enough, as my friend tried to close any discussion on their rumored ward. I wasn't sure exactly why this was so important that even revealing my niece's identity as the Demon Lord wasn't enough to convince her but if I was right this next bit of information would.

 

[She's reincarnated.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis, Delegate of Anguis

[-huh? But you said-] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Labyrinth City

[I said that she wasn't a reincarnation of the Demon Lord of Chaos. She isn't. She was a normal human from the same world that the Summoned Heroes come from.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis, Delegate of Anguis

[...that's?] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Labyrinth City

[Not possible? I'd have thought the same a few years ago, honestly if I hadn't interacted with her myself, I still might not believe it. Plus, I believe you know that it's more than possible. After all...?] - Queen Laura de la Anguis, Delegate of Anguis

[Hah... You're right. We have someone confirmed to be a reincarnation. A female gnome, aged 13 years. It is... different though.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis, Delegate of Anguis

 

I was. Pausing after I confirmed that I also had a non-human reincarnation under my protection as she thought to herself Gorvi finally started speaking. King Nero, who'd initially looked like he wanted to ask questions of me, had gradually settled into a neutral expression that told me that he was deep in thought.

 

[How so?] - King Nero, Delegate of Abelis

[Jim?] - Queen Laura de la Anguis, Delegate of Anguis

[I'll have questions later but for now this takes precedence. Anyways what's the difference?] - King Nero, Delegate of Abelis

[She wasn't reincarnated naturally. She summoned herself.] - Councilwoman Gorvi, Delegate of Abelis


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
31