Chapter 142: Alleged Demon King
607 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I've been playing around with the idea that Rose is starting to be more well known, at least by people in power. The common person has probably either heard very little about her or nothing at all but for those that are more connected her accomplishments against both the Church as well as her standing as the heir of one of the most powerful families has made her a person of interest around the continent. She's still far and away from being a household name but to be sure she'll become more and more known. I've previously made it clear that I don't particularly like the mentality of hiding your power no matter the circumstances and I've shown that here. Rose is certainly aware that most powerful individuals are already aware of her ability to use magic without a chant but even with that they'll still be surprised when they see it for the first time. Since it's out it's better to showcase it rather than act suspicious by hiding it so people think she has some reason to hide it too. Although some individuals will still use that ability to try and paint her as the bad guy so it's not a perfect solution. Nothing is. Enjoy!

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! I'm also pushing to get up to 10 chapters ahead of the Public Release so please support me as long as it will not negatively affect you! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Abelis Academy City, Adventurer’s Guild Local Hall - Rose's POV –

What happened next was fairly standard fair for an isekai adventure. Except most never mentioned waiting in line for a full hour... Apparently, to both give the student a fair shake as well as repair any accrued damage, each evaluation took 15 minutes followed by an interview that took approximately that long as well. Even with multiple testing rooms it would likely take at least another hour to make it through the entire class, if not longer. Luckily, my close friend's group was also waiting alongside me, so it wasn’t too boring waiting for our turns to come around. Unfortunately, Robin, our new Harpy friend, was called nearly immediately and was ushered afterwards to be given her F-Ranked Adventurer’s Plate and license.

I’d thought that maybe she would have been able to join us afterwards but unfortunately, I was informed that those that were finished with evaluations and interviews would be unable to rejoin the group until after everyone had completed the process. Thinking about it in the context of a school test it made a bit of sense since ostensibly part of the process was making sure that our personalities, goals, and history would mesh well with the Guild itself. It was also extremely likely that everyone present had had their background checked for potential problems. This of course made me even more nervous since my status as #1 Wanted in Church territory was likely to cause a problem with a multinational organization like the Guild. Finally, even my own group was called into different rooms one after the other until only I was left, at least in my own group. Luckily, they’d had enough sense to not leave me for last in my class and I found the same receptionist as before calling out my name while staring directly at me. It seemed my guess about them researching us previously was correct...

 

[Rose! You are up next. Please proceed to Room B for your evaluation.] - Pretty Guild Receptionist

[R-Right! He-Here right?] - Rose

[Yes. Please go on in, your Proctor is already inside and waiting. Good luck.] - Pretty Guild Receptionist

[Th-Thanks...] - Rose

 

And so, I slithered through the arch of the door that was feeling increasingly oppressive as I did so. The pressure from not knowing how everything was going to turn out making my limbs move in jerking motions rather than the fluid ones that I had learned in my time in this world. It was like I was a child again. An apt description considering what I was about to experience.


- Abelis Academy City, Adventurer’s Guild Local Hall, Room B - Rose's POV –

What greeted me was a fairly normal room. One side was dominated by a set of comfortable looking chairs centered around a normal-looking coffee table. Each chair had a single person in it, their gaze drilling into mine. The other was split into various mats and training areas. It also looked like the room could be divided for when the usage wouldn’t need the entire space. A closer look at the walls showed inset sliding curtains that could be used to partition the room into assorted sizes. A quite modern setting considering...

Of course, I did not fail to miss the wild looking man standing in the middle of the mats where the physical portion of the test would take place. The flicker of interest on his face before it settled into uncaring apathy was fast but not nearly fast enough to be missed by my superior vision.

 

[You must be Ro- Ah apologies. Lady Rose de la Amchier, heir of the Amchier Ducal House and... named Demon King of the Church. Although I suppose you have not earned that last one quite yet.] - Guild Evaluator?

[Of course no-! Ahem! I apologize for my outburst. I am indeed Lady Rose de la Amchier. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. May I ask the gentleman’s name?] - Rose

[Pfft! Right. If you didn’t make that the most awkward greeting that was ever uttered from the mouth of a future Duchess. The name’s Ignis, the Flaming Fist. S-Rank Adventurer and special Proctor for the Guild. Oh, and don’t get too starstruck or anything. That formal shit isn’t my style and I get the feeling it’s not yours either.] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

 

I remembered. The man in front of me gave me a once over, his gaze lingering on my arms and powerful tail before giving a slight nod of approval. Of course, someone had to speak first and, as the adult testing me, Ignis was forced to start off. Unfortunately, the look of disapproval that one of the observers gave to him stopped the informal greeting in its tracks as he was forced to change into one more fitting for my station. Which is why I was grateful I remembered. After drilling into me the expectations of my station around those of various social standing I quickly went through the appropriate greeting in my head after nearly berating the man for his “slip” of the tongue. Although the barely concealed laughter I got in return for my efforts was almost enough to make me break his smug grin in half.

An overreaction to be sure but one that I was starting to learn to control. It seemed that my recent sojourns in my Inner World had also served to make my aspects much more powerful as well and as such their influence on my emotions were also that much more powerful. Although not as much as when Wrath was actively trying to take control of my body, so it wasn’t too much trouble to dampen. A fortunate side effect had also been a bit of an increase in my brain power, and I had even started catching a few glimpses of Logic’s inner mind. Although the contact itself always left a bitter taste in my mouth. Even more so than just being around him. The brief interactions we’d had had felt like needles being inserted into my brain but when I’d brought it up to Love he’d only laughed and told me to get over it. Not sure what that meant but maybe this sort of thing was normal?

My musings were cut short by one of the observers clearing their throat, however.

 

[Ahem! Proceed with the evaluation Ignis. While we acquiesced with your request to test the girl, we will not remain patient indefinitely. Hurry up or we will test her ourselves.] - Grumpy Old Man?

[Tch! Don’t butt in you old bastard! I was getting to it already!] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

[Proceed then.] - Grumpy Old Man?

[Fine. Ahem let us get the formalities out of the way. During the evaluation you’ll be in a mock battle with myself until you either defeat me or I determine that you’ve demonstrated enough ability for the rank you’re applying for. As this is your first time and you’re applying for the F-Rank you’ll have the first move. Prepare yourself accordingly.] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

[Okay?] - Rose

 

Wait requested? This stranger asked to test me specifically? I’d thought it strange when he introduced himself as an S-Rank adventurer but had just concluded that it was just business as usual. Thinking back on it though it made no sense to make the most powerful Adventurers in the Guild do something so menial. Which meant he was here for me. The question was why?


- Abelis Academy City, Adventurer’s Guild Local Hall, Room B - Rose's POV –

Pushing those unnecessary thoughts out of my mind as I noticed the observers looking on in irritation, I readied myself for attack. True to his word Ignis didn’t move from where he stood, passively watching me while I took a stance. I guess first was a testing strike? It didn’t seem a good plan to go all out on an S-Rank adventurer and get myself blown away by investing too much force into a single blow.

 

[Here I come! HYAA- OOF! <slam!>] - Rose

[Weak! Don’t come at me like you’re afraid to get hurt! Half Assing it like that will get you killed by any monster you come across! Strike at me like you’re trying to take my life, otherwise you might as well turn around right now!] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

 

Wall. Somehow, I’d ended up embedded in the wall behind me when I’d attempted to attack Ignis. I hadn’t even seen him move but the clear sign of him relaxing his stance told me that he’d struck me, somehow without causing actual pain or damage.

Pulling myself from the crumbling infrastructure I realized that there was a much sturdier layer underneath the fragile wall, one that my heavy body had done absolutely nothing to. The unmarred surface mocking me with its lack of damage.

His further statement though inflamed that piece of Wrath that had flared up. Come at him seriously huh? Fine then, I’ll put everything I have into taking that smug smile right off his handsome face!

 

[If you want it that badly fine! Take this!] - Rose

[Haha! Now this is more like it! The foundation could use a little more polishing, but the power is certainly there. But...] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

[H-Huh?!?] - Rose

[It’s not enough! HA!] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

 

Numbing pain assaulted my arm as it was forced to suddenly decelerate unexpectedly. I’d thrown all of my weight into that blow, using the sturdy foundation of the building to launch myself at the much smaller human man. A primitive move easily avoided if you had the skill to do so. Instead of dodging, however... he just, took it. Like full on tanking several hundred pounds like it was nothing! It even felt like he’s also somehow absorbed some of the force of my punch, protecting me from the blowback of throwing my weight around like that.

Sadly though, this wasn’t enough to pass as he yanked me forward before throwing me into another wall.

 

[Ugh!!! Dammit! I’ll get you!] - Rose

[Oh, so the mask finally comes off? Well come on then, while I can’t agree with you just throwing yourself at me mindlessly, I’m more than happy to dance!!!] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

[I’ll show you dancing! Take this!] - Rose

[Woah! So, it was true! You can use magic without a chant! Interesting. So interesting! Well bring it on then I’ll take this as far as you can-] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

 

Pulling myself out of yet another wall I launched myself once more at the smirking bastard that felt like a young version of that damned old man. I wanted nothing less than to wipe that smile off his face! Make him grovel beneath me! I still had my training though so rather than repeat the same mistakes as I had before I waited until just before I impacted him again only to release a jet of cold air at the ground, changing my direction enough that instead of charging directly at the man I coiled like a spring on the roof above him, ricocheting off of it making him dodge for the first time until now. Excited by my movement his face stretched into a even larger grin as he prepared to strike at my still recovering form. Only for a blurred figure to step between us with a sword pointed at his throat.

 

[ENOUGH! Ignis you’ve already gone far beyond the acceptable range of this test! You will back down now!] - Grumpy Old Man?

[Grrr! Move it old man! Or do I need to teach you a lesson as well?!?] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

[Do I need to remind you of what happened the last time we fought? Back down now. This is not a formal duel and the Amchier heir has more than demonstrated the requisite power of her rank. I’ll not warn you again...] - Not a Grumpy Old Man?

[Tch! Fine, you’re no fun at all! We’ll do this later then. Rose, I’ll be looking forward to when we can fight with our lives on the line. Until then I give you a passing grade as your Proctor. Don’t make me wait long...] - Ignis, the Flaming Fist

[Hey! The Guild Master is not finished talki-] - Another Observer

[Let him go Orlais. I’ll deal with him later. For now, we have a guest to talk with. Why don’t you sit down Lady Rose de la Amchier, Heir of the Amchier Ducal House, Foe of Summoned Heroes and alleged Demon King. We have much to discuss...] - Guild Master

<Gulp> - Rose


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh, and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
21