Chapter 146: A Formal Acknowledgement?
548 4 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So, I initially wrote this chapter with pen and paper while at work on my breaks. I, of course, didn't account for the fact that I'd not written anything long term by hand since high school and nearly made a mess when my hand spasmed enough to launch my drink across the break room. Fun stuff.

Anywho I wrote this chapter as a way of introducing a minor character who, in spite of her future lack of planned appearances, will be a bit important to the backstory going forward. She'll show up in later chapters briefly but it's fairly unlikely that I'll focus super heavily on her since most things that I COULD write about her would be politics focused chapters which I've already said that I particularly hate.

Either way I do actually quite like the sheltered Princess character trope in small amounts. If it gets too intense, like having them as a main character, you'd figure they'd eventually stop being so sheltered after a while. Sheltered Princess works wonders for side characters though! Anyway enjoy!

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! I'm also pushing to get up to 10 chapters ahead of the Public Release so please support me as long as it will not negatively affect you! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Abelis Academy City, Academy Formal Reception Hall, A Few Days - Rose's POV –

What exactly was I doing here again?

A few days had passed since I’d gone with Karen to do some tests with the Gnomish Observer’s, and, in that time, I’d continued to prepare for my upcoming Celebration of Birth as well as continuing my incursion training alongside normal classes. I’d even had a rare moment of free time where I was able to have a brief conversation with my grandparents who, apparently, were out of the country. Curious about where they were I’d of course asked but Grandpa had instead handed the image stone over to Grandma who immediately changed the subject to my recent run-in with the Guild. I guess they had somehow heard about it from Momma? Huh…

Either way I’d fully expected the remaining time before the dreaded party to continue in the same way, hence the reason for my question. What exactly was I doing here again?

 

[I am overjoyed that Honorable Father assisted me in meeting you! I have been quite enamored with stories of your exploits since I first heard of them through my tutor. Honorable Father has also told me much of your greatness!] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Hahaha… I’m sure I’m not that interesting Your Royal Highness.] – Rose

[Such humility! You are exactly how I pictured you after I was told of recent events by my Honorable Father!] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

Phew! The lack of reaction to my response meant I’d likely done it right! This etiquette stuff is waaaay harder when you’re interacting with someone you don’t know! Although I’d hate to think of what Auntie would do to me if she learned how I’d treated King Nero when we first met. Oof…

 

[Pictured me?] – Rose

[Oh yes! The model gallant Hero, standing against the forces of Evil, while the corrupt Church denounces them as a Demon Lord! It’s just like the grand adventure stories of the ancient heroes!] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

Oh Goddess, I never knew the gaze of admiration from a child could be so painful! (Although honestly that’s likely an inditement of my previous life more than anything… Ouch.) And, while technically the Princess Elizabet was older than my current self her innocence, along with my barest remnants of my mental age, only enhanced her image as that of a Hero-struck child.

Of course, my day had begun like any other, with morning class.

Beginning with Maths class, it’d been on my way to the Old Bastard’s classroom that I’d been contacted by Annabelle with a message from Auntie and Momma. Apparently, the Princess of rumors, the one that had been going out of her way to use her, and the Royal coffers, money on reconstruction and enrichment projects, had contacted them, through her father, with a request for a tea party. Malaise’s take on the entire thing was that the Princess was likely only doing such altruistic things was to bolster her own position as heir because of the loss of her brother.

In other words, I was told to meet this, possibly scheming, Royal Princess, after school if I wished. Even though it was phrased as a request the implication was that I was more or less required to meet for tea considering my relative rank and status as a foreign student at the school which her country hosted to begin with.

The Royal Princess, 1 year my senior, was not a student of the Academy apparently, instead being taught statesmanship and schooling by an army of private tutors, but had somehow heard of me? On top of this I’d not heard anything from King Nero since the Arena incident but for some reason, as if it were an afterthought, I’d also received a request from the King himself to meet. A request. From a King.

Despite this I wasn’t particularly nervous about the personage herself more than the possible content of the conversation. The last interaction I’d had with the King, her father, had been immediately after he’d watched his son die while unable to do anything and, while I knew that it wasn’t entirely my fault, at least some of it could be attributed to my identity. Basically, a whole bunch of awkwardness to deal with. Of course, I’d be completely wrong though. Of course.

 

[Oh? I’d always been taught that the Church keeps an extremely tight leash on the Summoned Heroes? To hear that so many broke away is a bit surprising?] – Rose

[Ah?!? It is certainly joyous that you are comfortable enough to speak with myself using such informal language! This means that we are friends, yes?] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[<Opps!> Y-Yes of course it does Your Royal Highness!] – Rose

[Mrrr! Use my name! That is what’s expected since we are friends, correct?!?] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[R-Right! Umm.. Prin-E-Elizabet?!?] – Rose

[Better.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

Shoot! Because it was such an interesting topic, I’d briefly forgotten my etiquette training with Auntie to use only formal language while meeting with a foreign dignitary in a formal setting! Luckily it seemed that Elizabet had taken it well but that was problematic in its own way.

Declaring that we were now friends are only a single meeting? How sheltered is this girl?

Miss Royal Maid! Yes, you over there currently glaring at me with the intensity of the sun! Do something!!!

 

[A-Ahem! So, you mentioned something about a Hero accused of being a Demon Lord Your Roy-E-Elizabet?] – Rose

[Good. As for your query? Hmm… Well my history and religion tutor gave me an old storybook that followed the adventures of a Summoned Hero from Japan that betrayed the Church when she was asked to kill a group of innocent Kitsune only to raise an army against her former masters. I was told that it was… Oh my! I believe that I was instructed to not speak of that particular story to others as it was problematic for diplomacy! I must apologize to her later for my transgression.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[A secret huh? …hmm.] – Rose

[Oh yes, I just thought of a solution to our predicament! It shan’t cause any complications as long as I have only loosened my lips to a dear friend. You shall keep this a secret besides me, correct?] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[R-Right! Of course.] – Rose

 

I felt bad for lying to her, I truly did, (especially with the insistent glare of Ms. Royal Maid) but the knowledge that I wasn’t the first otherworlder to be accused of being a Demon Lord was too important to not ask Gilgamesh of what his own knowledge was of the matter. And since I was long past the stage of hiding anything fro- most things from my friends, I’d also let them in on said secret. Sorry!

Mental apologies over though it was probably about time to get to the point. (Before a hole was burned through me by the overly critical maid the Princess had brought along. Although now even Annabelle had joined in on it…)

 

[S-So why did you want to speak with me again?] – Rose

[Ah yes, you are obviously correct. I am deeply aggrieved for speaking with my own convenience for so long as I have as I certainly have something of significant import to converse with you on.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Yes?] – Rose

 

S-So stiff! The way this girl speaks, the way she carries herself, even the way she eats and drinks, is so formal that it’s actually uncomfortable to interact with for long periods! Even so I can’t truly bring myself to be annoyed since she’s so pure and innocent…

If this is all a trick I’ve absolutely already fallen.

 

[I’m grateful. Before that, however, I would like to formally apologize for how my l- my late brother treated you. H-He was not always like the way he was near the end.

I myself have quite fond memories of him before the Church got their claws into him and do not wish for him to be- to be remembered in such a negative light as his actions would have him be.

I-I do hope you can find it within your heart to forgive him.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

Dammit, I’d been hoping the subject of her brother’s death wouldn’t come up but that seems to have been a fools wish in light of the circumstances. What’s more, despite her strong words, it was obvious that the young woman currently trembling lightly in front of me was in enormous pain as she asked me to forgive her only brother. Seeing such a passionate display in front of me brought to mind the pain my little sister must have gone through after I passed away, which left only one acceptable answer in this situation. Regardless of my actual feelings I…

[Of course I can. Despite everything, despite all he did, both intended and not, I can tell that he deeply cared for both his country and family. I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t blame him one bit for what happened, not anymore.] – Rose

[I- Hic! I- Uwah!] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

It was obviously a bit of a lie to say that I didn’t place at least some of the blame on the foolish late Prince but, looking at the bawling sister of said Prince currently hugging me tightly while she broke down, I couldn’t possibly bring myself to say anything different. Who possibly could?

 

[…!] – Annabelle

[Ahem!] – Extremely Annoyed Royal Maid

[R-Right. Yes. Pardon my improper behavior just now. I was simply overcome with emotion when you said- you said…] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[It’s all right. I understand. We’ll not speak of it again. Now, you have another thing to speak about, yes?] – Rose

 

Painful. That look is painful Ms. Royal Maid! Please help me, Annabelle! E tu Annabelle?!? Why are you glaring at me like that too?!?

Luckily, I didn’t have to deal with their painful stares for long however as the Princess quickly straightened herself out after getting an obvious hint from her maid. Now that it was out of the way, however, it was likely a good idea to get to whatever the point of this meeting before I started a war accidentally.

 

[Ah yes! Well-Um-You see, well you can refuse this request of mine if you truly don’t wish to fulfill it! I know it’s a monumental request and of course regardless of the answer you give you’ll still be my very first friend! Even if you say no, I’ll not think differently of you so don’t feel pres-!] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[It’s fine. Go ahead and ask, I’m listening.] – Rose

[Right. Yes. Ahem! I, Crown Princess Elizabet de la Abelis, Heir to the Abelis Kingdom, inheritor of my Honorable Father’s estate, do formally request the Lady Rose de la Amchier, Heir to the Amchier Dutchy of the Anguis Empire; as well as her parents, the Honorable Duchess Mary de la Amchier and her consort, Duke Robert de la Amchier, to publicly support my claim to the throne of Abelis, and all the rights therein!] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

What?!?


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh, and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
21