Chapter 147: A Fast Farewell
495 12 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I actually finished writing this a while back, but the entire thing was on paper rather than in web format. Setting aside time to rewrite it again here is a bit difficult to do so it took a while. Sorry about that. Moving on though I wrote this chapter to continue the story from last time and also to give Rose a bit more agency in the coming finale. She has a reason to wish for the success of her celebration outside of just wanting to please her new family. I do plan, as I mentioned before, on having the Princess appear throughout the story. She is, politically speaking, extremely important to the story. As far as her importance outside of the politics though...? Not particularly. She'll have a bit of a part to play in the War Arc and will definitely have an effect on the stuff going on behind the scenes but she's not a main character and will not be joining the main cast. Enjoy regardless as I think this is one of my best written chapters to date!

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! I'm also pushing to get up to 10 chapters ahead of the Public Release so please support me as long as it will not negatively affect you! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Abelis Academy City, Academy Formal Reception Hall - Rose's POV –

Wait wait wait?!?

I mean, yeah, when I was asked to meet up with the Princess of Abelis I was well aware that it was likely a bit more important than merely a social call. But Formal Support? Really?!?

Especially since we’re…

 

[Wait but wouldn’t our support be fairly problematic at best? We’re nobility from a different country after all? Wouldn’t it make your claim to the throne seem like giving you up as a puppet to foreign powers?] – Rose

[To be honest? For any other Noble House, you’d be correct, this move would definitely be seen as an admission of weakness and exploited to denounce our Family even possibly as rulers. Especially if this move had been made before we purged a large majority of the Nobility Faction. Even as it is now, we’ll still receive grumblings within our own Royalty Faction.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Then?] – Rose

 

Purged. What a… polite, way of shrugging off the executions and exile of hundreds of Nobles, Collaborators, and related family. Sure, most of those people had likely caused the deaths and enslavement of many more, but discounting their death’s as merely being “purged” was a bit…

 

[Then why? Well, there are two reasons. The first is, contrary to your assertion, solidify the power of the Royal Family. As of this moment we are presently in dire circumstances after the loss of so much of our political power. Many of those purged were the most powerful Noble families within our territory and their loss has put us in… difficult positions. As it is now, we can control the other Noble Houses by partitioning out the lands seized in the attempted coup but that will only stem the tide for a limited time and does nothing to regain our political strength with outside parties.

Father has since determined that the best course of action is to hold onto the seized territory and instead use the new holdings to increase the power of the Royal Family to both avoid this problem in the future and demonstrate to those outside our influence that we are still a force to be respected.

To that end we need the famous Amchier Ducal House on our side. With a formal alliance and trade agreement to back up our grab for power we can both reassure outside parties that we retain our value as well as hold off the largest complaints from the Noble Families about our large increase in power. The Amchier Family, your family, is both wealthy and powerful enough to demonstrate our influence as well as being separated enough from the Anguis Royal Family that it won’t seem as though we are bowing to a foreign Empire.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

So, this was about my family? Understandable. It did make a sort of sense to use the political, and financial, power that my family had to strengthen their own position. The quest then became what the downsides would be to my own family. It was unlikely that this was unknown to my Auntie, the Queen, as she’d been the one to tell me to meet in the first place, but how would this look to other Noble Houses?

In my estimation there were two ways this could be viewed. It could either; one, be seen as a smart political move that increased the friendly connection between two allied powers (Although we’d still likely get backlash from jealous rivals.) or two, be seen as a traitorous move to ally ourselves with a foreign Royal Family thereby splitting our loyalty. The second one was likely to be claimed by at least one other Ducal House regardless but if they, and their allies, were the only ones doing so, a quick endorsement by Auntie would shut down any talk of that nature. The danger would be if such claims became loud enough that Aunt Laura would have no choice but to act.

Either way none of this would make sense as a decision for CHILDREN to be making in the first place. Regardless of future rank the Princess and I weren’t actually legally able to make any sort of binding agreement anyway. On top of that King Nero, her father, was close friends with both my family and the Anguis Royal House directly. So, the remaining question was…

 

[This seems a bit high level of an agreement for us to be making, doesn’t it? I understand the potential gains but… why me specifically? If your family wanted a public endorsement, you would have directly asked someone actually capable of making a decision like that. I’m obviously not able to make any sort of public statement with any real power behind it so why didn’t you ask Momma and Papa?] – Rose

[U-Umm to be honest i-it was actually my idea… Father, after informing Queen Laura de la Anguis of his intentions, did actually contact Duchess Lily de la Amchier and Duke Robert de la Amchier directly. It’s just…] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Yes?] – Rose

[W-Well, while they agreed to our first request, our second one made them defer judgment to your decision instead.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[And that request was?] – Rose

 

Goddess save me, would this Princess get to the point already?!? I mean sure, her stuttering and blushing was much more adorable that the overly formal, and creepily adult, speech from before, but…

 

[I-Umm-I-W-Will you-] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

Wait really?!? She’s not going to do THAT right?!? I mean I’m not one of those super dense protagonists with absolutely no experience that’ll mishear any subtle, or even outright, declaration of love, and she’s definitely giving off those vibes, but…

 

[W-Will you train me?!?] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[I’m sorry but I’m already ta- wait what?!?] – Rose

[S-Sorry? I-Is that a, no?] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Wait train?!? You want me to train you? Nothing else?] – Rose

[Y-Yes! I’d be ever so grateful.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

Train? As in teach the Princess of a foreign nation?!? What nightmare dystopia is this?!?

In the first place how could she possibly expect me to have the ability and experience required to be a viable tutor to her? How could her father, the King?!? Or Momma and Papa?!?

Wait, actually scratch that last one. Those daughtercons would definitely overestimate me like that…

 

[Okay, so let me get this straight. You want me, a student that’s younger than you, to train you instead of your expensive, extremely skilled, and highly sought after, Royal Tutors?] – Rose

[Yes! As expected of the person I admire! You understood my intentions instantly!] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Okay, putting aside my ability to actually successfully train you can I at least ask why?] – Rose

[I-It’s a bit embarrassing b-but after hearing the rumors of your exploits a few months ago, I asked Father about you. At first, he didn’t know anything about you other than your background and some details about your adventures but, after meeting you, he informed me that you were one of the most powerful of the up-and-coming potentials. I don’t particularly understand his meaning, but I am aware that he greatly respects you!] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

Ah… So, she likely heard about my run-in at the party when I first came to the Academy and has been following rumors of my actions since. Add to that her misunderstanding of the King’s expectations as being a current reality rather than a potential future and I can understand her desire. Although you’d think King Nero would have understood her misunderstanding and corrected it. Unless his goal wasn’t to gain me as a tutor for his child, if that were the case then it’d make much more sense. If that were the case, there is only one option…

 

[Have you heard of a man by the name of Manic Blade?] – Rose


- Abelis Academy City, Gilgamesh’s Classroom - Rose's POV –

Yep, time to throw someone else under the bus.

After being confronted with the prospect of being a tutor to the future Queen of an allied power, an actual Princess, and misunderstanding her at first. I’d instead decided to do the next best thing. Introduce her to the person that tutored me!

Covering up her attendance as a sit-in, since she wasn’t technically a student of the Academy, the Princess had been sat in a quickly prepared VIP seat off to the side of the classroom. One which every single student in the class was currently staring.

We’d even taken extreme pains to come in separately to avoid rumors. Or at least I had! The Princess had immediately waved in my direction with a smile as soon as she entered starting a wave of whispering as everyone gossiped about what our relationship could be.

 

[Pay attention! You guys all act as if you’ve never seen Royalty before! Either ignore the distraction or leave! We’ll continue the lesson from last time! Now can any of you idiots tell me the answer to the question, what is Mana from the end of last class? You’ve had an entire 2 days to research it. Anyone? Ah, yes go-ahead Slime Brat.] – Gilgamesh

[It’s Karen, and the answer is…] – Karen


- Abelis Academy City, Academy Formal Reception Hall, Few Hours Later - Rose's POV –

So, like that the class continued until an excited Princess dragged me out of the finishing lesson in front of everyone, including a glowering Karen. Quickly pulling me along behind her, an impressive feat considering my size, we quickly reached the same room we’d been in previously. Somehow tea had already been set out by a somewhat proud-looking Annabelle and an irritated Royal Maid.

 

[That. Experience. Was… Exhilarating! I never imagined that school would be such an interesting place! Is every teacher so informal with their students?!?] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Some are, yes. I’m glad you had fun though.] – Rose

[I greatly enjoyed myself! Hearing such harsh words in my attempts to follow along sent a thrill through my body that I never knew possible!] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

Oh no. On no no no no no! I DID NOT just awaken the freaking Princess of another country to some new “world” right?!? No way, right?!?

No no no no! Don’t look at me like that Miss Royal Maid! This isn’t happening and it’s not my fault!

 

[R-Right, so do you think his lessons will help? It’s certainly more useful than my own fumbling.] – Rose

[Unfortunately, it seems impossible for me to make enough time to attend school given my scheduling. I would also feel ever so guilty if I were to steal such an impressive teacher away to be my tutor, so it seems it’ll be impossible for now.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Huh?] – Rose

[It has been an exhilarating excursion however, one that I rarely have a moment of rest for and that I will remember for years to come.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Why does that sound like a goodbye?] – Rose

 

The lonely looking smile that replaced her manic blush made my heart nearly stop. Her words afterward confirmed the fear that came with it. This was the end, wasn’t it?

 

[As expected of my Hero. You’ve once again discerned my true intent. This was unfortunately only destined to be a momentary distraction from my busy schedule. Fret not however as I shall miss you as my very first friend and forever hold you in my thoughts.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

 

I’ll be honest, even with only having met her today I’d still grown a bit attached to the innocent Princess. Hearing that our meeting would end with a simple farewell was a bit shocking. Not the least because of how sudden it was.

The implication, in her words, was that it was likely impossible to spend any real length of time with her in the future. A future monarch was constantly busy, hell even Prince Arlen was the same and he’d known he was to be the heir to the throne his entire life. Preparing since childhood still left him with little time for any social visits outside of some very short windows between various tutoring and classes. I can’t even imagine how busy the Princess was since she’d never expected to be the heir. Preparing her for the position this late in life was likely a full-time job. Even so, perhaps she could still…

 

[Wait! I have a Celebration of Birth in a few days! Would you possibly be able to attend as a guest?] – Rose

[Mira?] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

<Nod> - Royal Maid

[It seems that I may be available to make it. I am overjoyed to have another opportunity to meet! I-I only wish that-] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[My lady.] – Royal Maid

[Yes. Yes, you’re right. Ahem! I’m afraid I must call this tete-a-tete to a close. I shall see you in a few days hence. My appreciation for the invitation.] – Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[I… understand. It was an honor and a delight to make your acquaintance Princess Elizabet de la Abelis.] – Rose

 

A smile. When her maid briefly nodded, a sad smile appeared on the young woman’s face. A smile that said she knew that our next meeting was likely to be our last and that she might not converse with her first friend for years. She even failed to correct me when I used formal language, likely grateful that I was attempting to make our parting as painless as possible.

With that however, I suddenly had new motivation for the upcoming party. Motivation to make my party the best she’d ever attended or would do so in the future. No. I WOULD do so.


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh, and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
23