Chapter 149: A Concerning Admission and A Humorous Misunderstanding
492 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So, after talking with my Discord I've decided to release public chapters every two weeks from now on. This'll do two things: one, allow me to write longer chapters more often and two, give me more time to proofread the story. I'm getting to a point in my story where I have quite a lot of different bits of lore here and there and, as I start to get into the more important bits of the story, it's more important than ever to make sure I don't contradict myself. I've noticed already that I've subtly changed the lore behind the Demon Lord since the beginning (I do plan on rewriting that to line up with later chapters) but, while that hasn't changed in any significant to the story way, I don't want to accidently screw up something major. As a side note it'll do wonders for my stress since I won't feel pressured to have a chapter ready every week, I can take my time and really cross every T and dot every I. This chapter was, technically, written before this decision so it's actually a mashing of two chapters. I'll still end a chapter at a place that makes sense even as I try to make chapters longer to make up for the slower release schedule.

On to the actual content though. This chapter deals with a creeping problem that Karen has been having for a while now while the second part is meant to bring us back to something more wholesome, misunderstandings. This problem is obviously related to one of her title's and, anyone that's read Fantasy religiously, would have likely picked up on that as soon as it was shown originally. If not, I think the rampage during the Arena arc probably was a bit more overt. This is, however, the first time Karen has sought help, or at least communicated about, for her problem. We'll see exactly how she deals with it in a later chapter. I quite like Karen as a character as she has all the qualities that make for a fantastic addition to the main cast. Enjoy!

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! I'm also pushing to get up to 10 chapters ahead of the Public Release so please support me as long as it will not negatively affect you! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Abelis Academy City, City Streets - Rose's POV –

Letting out a deep breath (despite not actually having to breath), Karen looked relieved. The truth was that I wasn’t fully convinced even now that I wasn’t at least partially to blame. Even as we finished our talk a part of me continued to mock and berate me for being willing to push the blame away. A part that was no longer in control luckily and, while I wasn’t sure I’d ever fully forgive myself, at least for now I wouldn’t let that guilt debilitate me. If what happened at the Arena was because of an outside party trying to use me for their own gain then I’d just need to get powerful enough that no one would dare to antagonize me. Then and only then would I truly be in control, then and only then would I be able to guarantee that this NEVER happened again.

 

[Well then, now that that’s over with we’re going to actually have that date I promised! Heh, if you’re luck we may even have a fun after party.] – Karen

[E-Eek!] – Rose

 

Clapping her hands as if to clear away any residual trauma I found myself blushing and letting out a girlish scream when she suddenly smacked me on the b-behind. The wink that she gave as she once more took possession of my arm made me wonder if I’d be able to say no if she actually did want to have a “fun” after party, and if I’d be able to handle it if she did.

I doubted it.


- Abelis Academy City, City Streets, A Few Hours Later - Rose's POV –

The next few hours were some of the most fun I’d had since I was reborn. Our date, starting out with lunch since we’d taken so long with our discussion, took us to a hole in the wall that served gigantic bowls of ramen the size of the table you sat at. Think an upscaled Naruto ramen. The smirk on the owner’s face as he set down the bowl gradually faded and transformed into awe and respect as we finished off an amount that he likely thought impossible for any one person. I’d find out later that one bowl was generally ordered for a group rather than for individual diners.

After eating the restaurant out from under the man, a fact made even more impressive if you considered that we ate an entire 3 of those massive bowls each, we headed to watch this world’s version of a movie. On the way it took all of my willpower to not gawk at the new mass added to all the right places on my violet partner.

Her smirk, however, cemented that my willpower was faulty and leaking.

The movie itself, a combination of image stones and some lenses to project onto a larger screen, was a newer technique that had only been possible for a few years. Using an enchantment that stored memory they’d managed to create a good facsimile of a movie and even made the sound seem like it was coming from all around us. When we’d first heard about the basic steps for the process, I’d immediately assumed that Karen would lose her mind from the curiosity eating at her, instead she’d told me, in detail, the entire process that she’d tormented out of some poor, innocent soul.

I guess I was right, in a way.

Ironically, it was the newness of the medium and our familiarity with modern examples that ruined the whole experience for us. Being a new entertainment medium for the people of this world the theatre was absolutely packed with excited movie-goers. Seeming more like a short film from the 30’s, the clear unfamiliarity with the best angles to “film” from and the newness of acting in a way that wasn’t directly in front of an audience was extremely jarring to modern sensibilities. That said…

 

[It wasn’t that bad actually. Felt a bit like watching old historical films… only with more fantasy creatures.] – Karen

[Some of the ones they filmed were interesting enough at least. And if I remember right most of the really old films were of animals and humans moving so this is more of a step up in comparison, at least it had sound…] - Rose

[True, the one guy though- Pfft! He had no idea what to do. He was so obviously nervous that it was hilarious!] – Karen

[Give the poor guy a break, we’re used to much more modern acting. This is more or less the beginning of the filming industry in this world, they’ll catch on soon enough.] – Rose

[… …we’re really here in a fantasy world aren’t we?] – Karen

[Well yeah, did you think this was a dream or something this whole time?] – Rose

[…] – Karen

[Karen, did you think this was a dream?] – Rose

[To be honest? Yes. It has crossed my mind more than once. Maybe I’m in a coma right now in some random hospital, maybe I lost it completely when you died and this, all of this, is just me trying to cope with losing you? Maybe everything is a lie?] – Karen

[Kare Kare…] – Rose

[Did you know that I’m always hungry?] – Karen

[H-Huh?] – Rose

[It’s the only reason that I’m sure this world is real. This hunger, it isn’t like a normal, every day hunger, it’s like I’m constantly hearing a voice telling me to eat, to consume. It’s… It’s almost a chant, a mantra, at the edge of my consciousness that urges me to devour everything I see.] – Karen

[Karen, tell me.] – Rose

 

I straightened up, while our previous conversation had been light hearted I could tell instantly that this one was extremely serious. We already didn’t know enough about this world in general to begin with but that problem was even more exacerbated when it came to the creature Karen had become. This admission could be normal for slime’s, but if not…

 

[Hah… Do you remember when you came back from the forest?] – Karen

[Yeah, you were like 20 feet tall and had changed colors?] – Rose

[That’s right. Before then the hunger was more of a tickle at the back of my mind but ever since I’ve had this urge and that tickle has become a lot louder, only growing more so over time. I’m… I’m not human anymore. I know that intrinsically.] – Karen

[Oh Kare Kare, You’re still you, even now, no matter what.] – Rose

[No! No, you don’t understand. It’s- It’s not just food…] – Karen

 

Pulling the trembling tomboy into my arms I was shocked when she instead pushed me away with fear evident in her eyes. What she said next chilled me to the bone.

 

[It-It’s people. The urge tells me to eat people…] – Karen


- Abelis Academy City, City Streets - Rose's POV –

We ended the date after that. I could tell that Karen was apologetic for ruining the mood but neither of us was particularly of the mind to continue considering. Personally, I was ruminating on our different circumstances, the revelation from Karen had really put my own problem into stark perspective. Sure I wasn’t human anymore, hell I wasn’t even a man either, but at least I was more or less safe from changing too much. My new form was close enough to my old one that I’d basically adapted to it’s peculiarities at this point.

Karen, however, didn’t have that luxury. What little we’d uncovered from the sparse literature written about humanoid slimes, and slimes in general, made it obvious that no matter her physical similarities to her old body Karen was fundamentally different. Goddess, her new form wasn’t even that well understood by this world either so conventional wisdom from either of our lives wasn’t likely to be of help in this scenario.

That left only one course of action.

 

[Grandpa, Grandma? I need your help.] – Rose


- Dracas Sand Sea, Somewhere? – Grandpa Richard's POV –

[We love you baby girl, I’ll see if we have any contacts that can help.] – Grandpa Richard

 

After hanging up the Portable Image Stone on his precious grand baby Richard sighed. Rose’s friend from her previous life had admitted to showing worrying signs, compulsions that put those around her in danger. I knew enough about these types of things to know that the longer it went unaddressed the more chance there’d be of a lapse in control and a catastrophic outcome.

If this were any other of her friends, if it were any other situation, I’d have eliminated the threat immediately and dealt with the backlash from Rose. However, that wasn’t an option with this particular friend. According to what I’d been told by my precious grandchild the two of them had been closer than family in their previous lives and doing anything to this Karen person would likely break Rose completely. I cared too much about her to remove the problem permanently and from what I’d heard it wasn’t an immediate problem. For now, anyway…

 

[We need to contact that bastard, right?] – Grandma Daisy

[Yeah… I’ll get ahold of hi-] – Grandpa Richard

[No, you won’t, I’ll do it. You know you’ve never been able keep ahold of your temper when you talk to him. Better if I do it.] – Grandma Daisy

[But he starts it every ti-] – Grandpa Richard

[Besides, he likes me more.] – Grandma Daisy


- Abelis Academy City, Private Room, The Next Day – Persimmon de la Sanguis' POV –

I was always the smallest of my cousins, the weakest. As an only child I was the hope of my house, the future of our family. Unfortunately my frail disposition meant I could hardly leave the house and even casual contact with the outside world would leave me bedridden for weeks.

It had been only recently that the illness that had plagued me since my birth had abated enough that I’d be able to live a somewhat normal life. Luckily, for both myself and my social standing, I’d gotten well enough to enter society at around the same time that I’d have been expected to enter formal schooling. Taught by tutors my entire life I’d only ever heard of what the rest of my peers were doing through the mouth of those teaching me. And I was going to be attending one of the most prestigious Academy’s on the continent, a place that hosted future leaders from all over the known world. It sounded magical.

My trip had been unfortunately delayed by a small flare up of my symptoms but I’d recovered and was finally heading to the start of my new life. Before all that however, was a meet and greet with the Amchier Heir.

A much more powerful lamia, and heir to the strongest military power outside the Royal family itself, I’d heard some terrifying rumors about the person I was meant to meet. Some of my attendants at home had been talking and I’d overheard them gossiping about her. Some said she was a violent, demon-like, witch with unnatural magical abilities, others said she was twice the size of an adult and breathed black fire like some kind of corrupted dragon. And I was to meet with this monster?

 

[M-M-My name is P-Persimmon de la Sanguis III, d-daughter of the prestigious Duchess Persimmon de la Sanguis II and Duke Mattew de la Sanguis. I-It is an h-honor to make your acquaintance!] – Persimmon de la Sanguis III

[How cute. Ahem! No need to be so nervous, I’ve heard of the circumstances of your health from Pa-Father. How is your current condition? We can reschedule if you’re still feeling bad?] – Rose

 

A-An angel?!? Wait no! This is the Demon of the Arena! She’s said to eat children for snacks and is so terrifying that she even has the Queen herself under her thumb! I’m sure that a-angelic smile is only some ploy to trick me! Even the people on the train said so!

H-How traitorous?!? She nearly fooled me with her false kindness! I’ll need to be more wary from now on…

 

[Do n-not worry, I am f-fine.] – Persimmon de la Sanguis III

[C-Cute! Ahem! Right, that is good. Were you able to have a safe trip? I know that your territory doesn’t have direct access to the train system quite yet. Father is working on expanding through the Autumnal Forest but has had difficulty dealing with large monsters from what I’ve heard.

Ah! I understand that you stayed in my Family’s estate as a guest for a few nights to recover from the stresses of travel. The carriage must have been difficult for you.] – Rose

[Y-Yes! Your family was gracious enough to lend me use of your family estate while they were away. Unfortunately, with my condition long distance travel can be… difficult.] – Persimmon de la Sanguis III

 

That phrase again? She’d used it twice already, but it wasn’t from a language I recognized… C-Could it be, a spell?!?

How devious! Now that I know her game though I should be safe! B-But what if that was what she wants?!? Distracted by my thoughts I was nearly blindsided by her next question and answered reflexively.

 

[If you don’t mind me asking, what exactly is it that ails you?] – Rose

[M-Mana sensitivity. My body seems to treat mana particles as an infection, too many can cause me to fall ill. I seem to be fine now though…] – Persimmon de la Sanguis III

[Hmm, an allergic reaction to mana huh…? Does that mean that you are unable to use magic?] – Rose

[Kuh! T-That’s… right. Whenever I have attempted to cast spells in the past it has caused a flare up of my illness. Doctors are unsure as to the cause…] – Persimmon de la Sanguis III

 

As expected from such a heinous demon, a direct strike at my most shameful weakness!

As heir to a Ducal House I was expected to have a certain level of ability, it was already borderline disqualifying to be handicapped in such a way but unfortunately without another direct successor to the Sanguis seat there were few options available to my parents. As a result, even now, I understand how important it was for me to marry the correct partner. It was made absolutely clear to me that I’d need to find a powerful partner, politically or actually, otherwise I’d likely be the last Sanguis to hold my Ducal name.

As it was now it was nearly guaranteed that I’d be killed at some point if everything stayed as it was currently. And as expected my shameful reality had been directly exposed!

What a merciless demon!

 

[<Hmm… Maybe the gnomes could help…?> And their hasn’t been any success in finding a cure? I’m assuming your family has tried. Perhaps some treatment could be found?] – Rose

[Honorable Father and Mother have tried everything in their power but have been unable to find a solution. I thank you for your concern, but I think perhaps we should move on to the reason for our meeting. I-If that’s o-okay with you?] – Persimmon de la Sanguis III

 

A look of concern? C-Could the rumors have been false? The way she looked when hearing of my condition looked, for a brief moment, like she was concerned for my well-being. So much so that, despite myself, I’ve even started to feel comfortable around her. Plus, Father himself seemed to have quite a high opinion of the Amchier family so might it be…?

Wait! Perhaps that’s her game?!? She wants me to feel safe only to pull out the rug from under me! How devious!!!

 

[Yes, perhaps we should. Well the short explanation is that I find myself in a situation that requires allies. Aunti- Ahem! Her Highness, the Queen, said that we should meet. I’d imagine that she hopes that we’ll be able to become friends?] – Rose

[Fr-Friends?!?] – Persimmon de la Sanguis III

[Yeah, knowing her she’s likely mostly concerned about helping you fit in. I understand that you’ve been confined for most of your life to your family estate?

I’d be happy to be friends with such a sweet young lady if that’s okay with you?] – Rose

 

Friends? Sweet young lady?!? More like a slave! She definitely wants to use the word “friend” in order to control my actions! Truly, only a demon would think up such a devious plot! B-But somehow…?

 

[Y-You <sniff> You really want to be <sniff> friends with me?] – Persimmon de la Sanguis III

[Yes of course I do, a sweet and kind young girl like yourself deserves as many friends as you are able to handle.

So? What do you say?] – Rose

[Y-Yes! <sniff> I’d be honored!!!] – Persimmon de la Sanguis III

 

I couldn’t help it! She just seemed so sincere that I couldn’t possibly think she had impure motives. Those rumors I’d eavesdrop- …overheard, HAD to be wrong! Someone willing to become friends with someone defective like me right after meeting them couldn’t be a bad person after all!

Wait…

What if she’s after my bo-


- Abelis Academy City, Private Room - Rose's POV –

Such a cutie. Shy and prone to blushing, the stuttering moe-blob of adorable looked every part the frail princess that she seemed. Pale skin, with ephemeral looks and white hair, she gave off every impression of teetering on the edge of collapsing on the spot. It was like a chihuahua trembling on her owner’s lap. Adorable.

And so I moved on without realizing that the trembling had been from something completely different. Not that it would change anything in the long run.


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh, and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
19