Chapter 150: The Plot Thickens
674 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This chapter took as long as it did you drop on Patreon because I got Covid-19, a pretty rough go at it too. I'm currently still dealing with Long Covid symptoms, but I've recovered enough to actually focus on writing, and thinking of writing. Previously mindlessly playing video games was as much as I could do since I didn't need to use my brain all that much. Ironic since I generally prefer games that require a bit more brains normally... Anyway, enough of my sob story, on to the chapter!

The beginning of this chapter is setting up a link between current events and those of the past, as well as what may or may not be coming in future chapters. I'm sure most of my readers are aware of this but Principal Night has some kind of past, it hasn't been revealed yet and is strongly tied into Shade's part of the story so it's a long time away currently. If you remember, Shade was sent by her mother to watch Rose, we don't know why yet but what IS clear is that she's not all that fond of Night so it's likely that'll be important later on. No spoilers though. I especially like the little bit more I dropped about the shadowy assassins from the Arena arc that lost 2 of their number, one of them captured by Rose's grandparents in an earlier chapter and the other captured by her parents off-page. They're somehow involved again but, unlike last time, it's fairly clear that they're contract hires rather than directly working for the Church. What is this "cure" that they keep harping on about and why do they need it? That'll be revealed in a later chapter, but they'll be making several more appearances so look forward to that.

The second half of the chapter is dealing with the party finally starting. We've been building up to this for a few chapters now but this is event will be the finale of this arc with a few more chapters following with random, unconnected short stories to round out the time skip before the next major arc, the War Arc. Just keep in mind that the consequences of this arc will mostly be felt in both that arc and the next rather than this one, we are mostly dealing with children afterall. And idiotic parents.

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! I'm also pushing to get up to 10 chapters ahead of the Public Release so please support me as long as it will not negatively affect you! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Abelis Academy City, Unknown City Street - ???'s POV –

[Are we sure about this? Our last attempt cost us 2 of our number, there are not many left of us any longer, our numbers shrink every year.] - ???

[Do not worry yourselves. As I said before, their loss was inconsequential. Besides, this plan will not have us putting ourselves directly in harm’s way.] – Shadowy Leader

[Fuck that! Inconsequential?!? #3 may have been but #5 wasn’t! Besides, you told us the Church would heal us after that last job and all we received in return was silence!] - ???

[I agree with #6. Our Little Sister may have her problems, but impulsivity is not one of them. If you truly wish for us to continue risking our lives for this “Church” we need a damn good reason.] - ???

[Fret not dear lady, #2, while our last employer tragically was captured due to unfortunate circumstances, removing our avenue of communication, this time I’ve managed to directly establish contact with a Cardinal. And he gave me an advance payment…] – Shadowy Leader

 

Four shadows, missing one of their numbers since their last meeting, were hidden in the darkness of Academy City. An unfortunate mistake in choosing their opponents had led to two of them being captured, their whereabouts still currently unknown. Luckily, despite growing up together and experiencing “that” place, none of them knew of each other’s current appearances or identities. In the event of capture and even torture not a one of them could betray anything that would trace back to the rest of them.

Truly however, they’d chosen a poor patron previously. The agreement had stipulated that they’d receive payment upon successful completion of their parts, which they’d done so despite losing 2 of their members, but who’d have expected the man himself to enter the battlefield personally. It was surprising enough that he’d shown himself in such a spectacular fashion but to then be captured. And by a bunch of children on top of that?

Foolish.

Luckily I’d still retained some contacts within the papacy and had been able to salvage something from that sad debacle. I’d even received an advanced payment this time, enough serum for each of us to buy a few decades, perhaps even more.


- Abelis Academy City, City Streets, Next Day - Rose's POV –

On my last rest day, the day just before the party, I found myself out with my close friends. With everything planned and all the invitations sent I’d gotten myself a small amount of free time. Although I couldn’t help thinking I’d forgotten something important? Hmmm, oh well…

Putting aside whatever I might have meant to do, or ask someone, the next time I had free time we’d decided to use this brief reprieve to unload our stress. This culminated in a shopping spree spread out between pastry shops and several jewelers. The kinds of places that made the poorer members of our circle of friends nearly have a heart attack when the bill appeared. Because of this I’d decided after the first few stores to just go ahead and have Annabelle arrange payment out of my allowance. I’d not let a lack of money in any of my dear friend’s purses defeat the entire purpose of this day trip. Although I have to admit the feeling of just covering for my friends did make me feel pretty good, like I felt a bit like I was giving back to them for all the amazing things they’d allowed me to experience by being my friends. It was something I’d never truly been able to do in my past life when all of my finances were either controlled by my parents or nonexistent. I’d always wanted to be the person to just anonymously drop a few thousand on one of my friends doorsteps so that they wouldn’t need to worry anymore and having the opportunity to do that now was a great feeling.

Anyways, it was between stores when it happened. The three of us, myself, Shade and Annabelle, had saved some seats for us at a local park while the rest of the group went to get food for everyone. After walking, slithering in Annabelle and in my case, all day we’d needed something a bit more substantial than simply another pastry shop. Initially I’d attempted to pay for that as well but had been immediately told to sit down and wait for something delicious. Not sure why they were so desperate…?

It was while I was pondering this that I heard a nostalgic voice, one that I couldn’t immediately place but one that felt like I’d heard it years before.

 

[My oh my, is that the Princess of the Amchier Ducal House I see? What an… unexpected honor!] – Loki

[Umm…? I’m sorry bu-?] – Rose

[Ohohohoho? Do you perhaps not remember me? Oh how this old man’s heart wilts from hearing such a thing. Boohoohoo… Oh well, it’s an understandable reaction considering we’ve only met the single time and you were oh so young at the time.

Perhaps this may help, “I am but a humble merchant that goes by the name Loki…” Did that clear up any distant memories?] – Loki

 

Suddenly it hit me, from the overexaggerated bow to the slimy, overly polite speech and the too sweet perfume the man was wearing. All of these details added up to someone I’d only met once many years ago, someone who, by rights, should be even less able to recognize me because of the relative age difference.

Recoiling almost instinctually from the feeling of discomfort just being around the foppish man seemed to emanate I noted that even Annabelle reacted in a similar manner, her hand resting on her hip as if in a ready stance, despite the lack of any visible weapon. This subtle shift, as well as the sharpness in her eyes, showed that she was much more on guard around the man and as such I should be too. So I pulled the one card that I so rarely played, Momma and Papa.

 

[What do you want Mr. Humble Merchant Loki? You know how it would look to interrupt the daughter of a Duchess without cause correct?] – Rose

[Ah! I certainly do, I most certainly do. I most assuredly did not intend to put you or your guards on alert like this. Worry not, I mean no harm, surely you can see that I’d have no success in inflicting it even should I wish to?] – Loki

 

Certainly, the portly man wasn’t exactly a prime physical specimen, but something told me to not take anything I saw at face value. And that look he gave Shade as he identified her as a “guard” was even more unsettling. As if he were judging her and found her wanting.

 

[Ahem! Yes well, I was merely in the area finalizing a deal with an associate nearby and spied your familiar figure from a distance. I may not have witnessed your beauty in many years but my eyes are never wrong when it comes to the appeal of a blooming flower such as yourself. And witnessing you I simply HAD to greet such a promising future potential business partner such as yourself.] – Loki

[…] – Shade

[I see… Well, you’ve done your greetings and if there is nothing else, we are actually waiting for our friends so…] – Rose

[Certainly, but before I g-] – Loki

 

I needed to get away. When I’d met this man previously his overall manner and speech had only been slightly disconcerting, but now? Now it was like every fiber of my being was screaming at me, all of my nerves supercharged as if we were cowering before an apex predator that was deciding whether we were worth the effort to devour.

This “merchant” was dangerous, all of my instincts repeated, over and over.

And it wasn’t just me as even Shade seemed to coil herself as if readying to pounce as she stared at the man unflinchingly, her abnormal gaze not faltering even a little as if even blinking would cause each of our deaths.

And then it was over, the pressure was gone. In an instant.

 

[Sir Loki! Sir Loki we must go! We’ll only just make your next appointment if we leave post haste.] – Assistant?

[Shame. I’d have liked to talk longer but it seems that my schedule just won’t allow such a thing. We’ll certainly need to continue this later. Regardless, it’s been a pleasure Lady Rose de la Amchier, Lady Annabelle, and you as well Lady Shade. I look forward to our next meeting.] – Loki

 

Luckily, likely for us more than anyone else, while the merchant looked more than willing to continue speaking, he was interrupted by a frantic aide that gestured wildly at what looked like a dense itinerary. Despite this, we were unable to relax until the man’s carriage was fully out of sight.

Which is when someone asked a question that hadn’t occurred to me until that moment.

 

[How did he know Shade’s name?] – Annabelle

[Mine…?] – Shade


- Abelis Academy City, Outside the Red Light District – Loki’s POV –

[I thought I told you that if you ever came here again I’d leave nothing behind?] – Principal Night

[Ah, if it isn’t Principal Night, or is it “The Formless Assassin”? I always did have trouble remembering exactly…] – Loki

 

After leaving from one of my many businesses in the Red Light District I came to a halt within moments of my death. A blade, materializing out of darkness, pressed against my throat. Like shadow made flesh the razor sharp blade attempted to behead me but I effortlessly maneuvered to safety. The same couldn’t be said for my helper as he was cut in twain before he’d even had a chance to realize that he was dead. Splitting down the middle with a blessed, rotten smell the two halves vanished into the shadows without making a sound.

 

[Oh my, do you know how difficult it is to find reliable help? He came quite highly recommended.] – Loki

[Silence! I made myself clear already! What are you doing here?!?] – Principal Night

[The Elder is quite upset with you Night. I just came to remind you of that. Ah, well that’s the official reason, you’re quite well aware of the primary reason of course.] – Loki

[I’m sure I have no idea what you’re speaking of, now leave! I’ll only allow this once, if I see even a hint of your presence again I’ll erase you! Leave!] – Principal Night

[Well then, I’m certainly not one to overstay my welcome. Would you please take care of my carriage? It seems I won’t be using it afterall… And don’t forget, because we don’t.] – Loki

 

Making sure that sarcasm was dripping off every word I retreated from the dangerous woman, even with everything I’d still be hard-pressed to come out safely if we truly fought and it wasn’t yet time. Luckily Night also seemed of the same opinion and, after leaving a threat, left the city. I’d confirmed what I needed to know and more, although I hadn’t expected some of it… 


- Abelis Academy City, Celebration of Birth Party Venue, Next Day - Rose's POV –

And so, I finally made it to the day of the Celebration of Birth. I hadn’t needed to personally supervise all of the steps towards readying the venue for the party I was going to be hosting but, as a test of my abilities as a noble lady, I’d been expected to personally delegate each of the persons working on my behalf. Of course, it’d have been easy if I could have instead just delegated everything to Annabelle and left it at that but, on top of being told I wasn’t actually allowed to do that, she wouldn’t have been able to set up everything all by herself. She’d had her hands full with handing out invitations to people that were high enough to require an invite by hand, as well as writing out letters for those who weren’t important enough for a personal invitation. I’d also come along with her on several occasions for individuals that were too high up to settle for anything less than a visit from myself. Although that hadn’t been too many considering my age. When she wasn’t managing invitations, and generally taking care of my living needs, she was also guarding me whenever I was off-campus. Taking all of that into account it was basically impossible for her to do everything.

As a result, I’d become acquainted with some of my family’s other servants. Not closely of course as none of the people I’d delegated to different tasks were skilled enough to work at the Main Residence, all of them being both younger than my previous self as well as lesser in the social hierarchy than the servants that had taken care of our family’s needs when we stayed at the Mansion, the house I was born in.

Using all of my previous life’s skills I’d managed to somehow come through the ordeal in one piece and, according to Annabelle at least, I’d done exceptionally for someone my age. The reason, apparently anyone below the Royal Family itself wasn’t actually taught to boss others around, with a few exceptions. In my mind this seemed strange but it was likely related to what Auntie had told me a few weeks back about not using our family’s political power too often until we’re able to prove ourselves. It was likely, as far as I could tell, that practice had begun to teach young nobles to fend for themselves and learn their own method of leadership before then getting pointers after the fact. Hell, Annabelle all but confirmed it when I asked about it since I couldn’t figure out another reason.

Regardless of the reasoning though I was able to trudge on and successfully get everything from a venue to a catering service (although I’d had a bit of help with that one so I could get someone reputable). And it was now, while greeting the guests personally, that I was startled out of my carefully rehearsed lines by a rude voice berating me. One that I’d not actually been able to invite personally despite it being expected with our equal standing. When I’d tried I’d been told, “We’ve received your written invitation, we don’t need to lower ourselves to speaking to you personally.” At that I’d decided to just ignore the barking of dogs and move on, especially since actually doing that was a slight against the invitee rather than the host.

 

[Exactly the reception that I’d expect from a beaten dog like yourself! Shamefully inadequate. Too poor to house one such as myself. Be grateful peons.] - Minerva de la Manchen

[It is a pleasure to see you once again Lady Rose, I- ] - Alice de la Serpanis IV

[Don’t keep stroking that failure’s ego, we’ve done our greetings, let’s go.] – Minerva de la Manchen

[…whatever.] – Rose

 

One is sour and the other is swe- Ahem! I mean something else not toeing the line of copyright!

Distracting myself with a joke in my head I decided to just ignore the loud one. And, if the gathered faces of those not yet ready to head inside (for one reason or another) was anything to go by, the crowd seemed to pity the blustering idiot rather than agree with her. If I were to guess the general sentiment, based solely on looking at the expressions of those around me, I’d say they were likely wondering what the young heir had actually accomplished to warrant having such arrogance. Especially because of my own well-known feats. Basically most of them were applying the same insult that Minerva had used towards me back on the youth herself.

 

[Well well, an impressive show of restraint for one so young. Most would snap back or demand restitution when spoken to like that at your age. Isn’t that right Jilliane?] – Beautiful, Blonde Haired Older Lamia

[It is Estelle, most impressive. I see that cousin has not spoken without cause. We can be most assured of the future of the Amchier House.] – Beautiful, Black Haired Older Lamia

[I’m sorry but I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure of becoming acquainted. May I know such beautiful ladies’ names?] – Rose

 

Moving on from the foolish young heir, I turned, only to find myself nearly face to breast with a VERY well endowed older Lamia, an impressive feat considering that I was nearly as tall as an adult even at my age. Besides the head-height breasts was another set of, slightly smaller, badanga haroos that were attached to a equally beautiful mid-aged Lamia.

 

[Oho, such a charmer. If I were younger and still single, I might perchance test her taste. I am Princess Jilliane de la Anguis, cousin to the Her Highness Queen Annabelle.] – Princess Jilliane de la Anguis

[Even if we’re married I’d still like a taste myself. Ah, if only the years had been kinder.] - Beautiful, Black Haired Older Lamia

[Oh, shush Estelle, stop being silly and introduce yourself remember?] - Princess Jilliane de la Anguis

[Ah yes, my apologies Lady Rose de la Amchier for my impropriety this one is called Lady Estelle de la Anguis, consort to the Princess Jilliane de la Anguis. My milfy companion here.] – Lady Estelle de la Anguis

[Auntie’s cousi- Ah! Pardon my ignorance Princess Jilliane, Lady Estelle. I had no knowledge of your planned visit or I’d have prepared myself more. There are no words for my incompetence!] – Rose

 

In contrast to their flirty way of talking their identity nearly made my blood freeze. They were Auntie’s relatives, another branch of the Royal House, and one of the only nobles of higher status than my own family’s. Not known to actively interact with political endeavors, the two of them weren’t exactly people I’d expected to meet, especially so suddenly and without prior warning. This wasn’t good!

I’d have to salvage this somehow!

 

[Wow, look at her. So serious.] – Lady Estelle de la Anguis

[Oh, the poor dear, can’t you tell? She’s been through cousin’s etiquette training. Her and her mother were always such sticklers for proper statecraft.] – Princess Jilliane de la Anguis

[That’s true, I still remember Her Highness Queen Alissa’s crash course when I married you. “You have to make sure you don’t misrepresent the family legacy! You must be equal to the best of our family to be within our family!” Pfft, back when they actually expected us to manage any territory!] – Lady Estelle de la Anguis

[…?] - Rose

[Oh, don’t mind us dear, we were just filled with the nostalgia of a more strict time. Please don’t worry your pretty young mind on us. We didn’t send word we were coming on purpose. Please don’t take it as a personal failing of such a promising young aristocrat.] – Princess Jilliane de la Anguis

[Especially one that can make it through one of Laura’s lectures. Even back then she was always on a high horse. Never seemed to take a hint from how Lily acted, although I’ve heard that she’s all proper now… Is that true, is your mother all acting like a proper noble lady?] – Lady Estelle de la Anguis

[Lover. We have a line.] – Princess Jilliane de la Anguis

[Huh? Oh! Well, oh well then, we’ll talk later about your mother’s hellion days! Jilliane, let’s see how the kid did with the food, oh, I can smell it already!] – Lady Estelle de la Anguis

 

H-Huh?!? What’s going on? This, is the Royal Family?!?

Such a strong departure from the way Auntie acted caused me to freeze up even more, so much so that I didn’t even notice that a small line was starting to form behind the two, many of which were watching with curiosity the unfamiliar faces of the Royals.

I was so shaken up by the rapid-fire surprises that I didn’t manage to do anything other than nod when offered a chance to hear about my mother’s youth at a later date. A thing that I both wanted to hear about but was also terrifying to consider. Especially the severe look on Annabelle’s face as she watched over me from a distance. I noticed, barely, the two Royals giving her a nod on their way past, her own face in stark contrast to their jubilant ones.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to spend gathering myself as the waiting line now shuffled forward with the blockage the two older Royals caused removed. The one coming forward one that I’d been looking forward to the last few days.

 

[Ah! I’m pleased to welcome you to- Princess?!? You’ve come! Ahem! I mean, please accept my welcome Princess Elizabet de la Abelis. This one is honored by your deigning to grace my Celebration of Birth with your presence.] – Rose

[Teehee, it is joyous to find myself in your presence once more Lady Rose. I have counted the days since our last meeting with jubilant anticipation. May I have the honor of your first dance when you’ve finished greeting the guests? I’d like to have your hand before you’re sullied by those male gazes I’ve felt directed your way this entire time.] - Princess Elizabet de la Abelis

[Heh. Of course, Prince- Ah, Elizabet, I’d be happy to let you have the first dance. Although you’ll have to excuse me for now, it seems I still have guests to greet. Please, if you find yourself lost on what to do, ask my personal maid Annabelle, she’s been fully briefed on our available services.] – Rose

 

As much as I wanted to continue avoiding the quickly building line of noble’s I knew that it was better to get it over with as soon as possible. Plus it wasn’t like I’d be here all night, I was nearly finished with those that I needed to personally greet after all and I could hear the announcer that I’d hired introducing the Royal’s to the floor to astonished cheers behind me. Soon I’d be able to join them and maybe even get a few dances with Karen while I was at it, where was she anyway?


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh, and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
16