Chapter 152: A Stupid BBEG
445 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So, when I originally planned this, I had planned for a much more menacing ending, with a credible threat of life and perhaps some mercenaries. Then I remembered that I'd done that already. Plus, this arc, in general, has been a lot lower stakes than the previous two arcs with little to no actual danger to Rose. At most I wanted this to end with a sort of threat that could show itself later. What I ended up with, through the writing of this arc, was the flailing about by a child given too much leeway by her stupid parents. Honestly that perfectly lines up with the point of this arc in general. This was, more than anything, meant to show children's problems, being dealt with by children (for the most part) in childish ways. Although said children are almost entirely nobles with immense financial and political power behind them...

We still have at least two chapters left of this arc, depending on how the writing goes, before I get to the disconnected side stories that'll deal with the time lapse between now and the War arc. I have a few more things I want to get in here before wrapping up after all.

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! I'm also pushing to get up to 10 chapters ahead of the Public Release so please support me as long as it will not negatively affect you! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Abelis Academy City, Celebration of Birth Party Venue - Rose's POV – 

The innocent smile on the Princess’ face as I approached was one of the most adorable sights I had ever seen. Second only to Karen’s face when she is jealous it tugged at my, I guess maternal?, instincts. The rest of the nobles, initially crowding forward after seeing the older Princess leave, backed off when they realized my destination. Ingrained in much of them was a public deference to social hierarchy that made them concede defeat whenever higher social strata were involved, at least publicly.  

Unfortunately, there was one person, either through immaturity or malice, that didn’t get the memo. That person instead blocked my path, even moving out of her way to get in front of me. To the annoyance of many of the older nobles if their faces were anything to go by. Her more docile companion, blocked by those same noble’s, also didn’t face their ire. Small justices. 

 

[You must think you’re special, what with your meeting a failed Royal and her whore.] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[…!] - The Room 

 

The room froze. The mutterings and scathing looks replaced by those of shock and horror. Even those unfriendly to myself immediately shuffling as far away from the young noble currently hamstringing her own future. Some of them may have thought of the Anguis Princess in less than stellar fashion but none of them would have been stupid enough to voice such opinions out loud in such a public place. What the young Manchen girl was doing was far and away beyond the pale. 

Unfortunately, she herself didn’t realize this... 

 

[Everyone knows the only reason anyone cares about them is because of their mother. Riding their coattails to advance your own standing is not only a mark of a coward it’s the peak of stupidity. Just what I’d expect of a foolish “demon” like yourself!] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[...You-!] - Karen 

[Are you done?] - Rose 

 

Seemingly high on the belief that since no one had stopped her they also agreed with her, she just continued to dig her own grave. Alice, still unable to actually make it past the blockade of nobles in the way had only become increasingly pale as her cousin spewed more and more vitriol, hearing the muttering of nearby nobles only increasing her panic. 

That is until she openly called me a demon. The silence suddenly broke as Karen lunged forward, only stopped by my own body as I blocked what was likely to be a knockout punch. 

I was DONE playing around. If this moron wants to play then fine, I’ll play. 

 

[Not by a long shot! My family has recently come by news that the young heir of the despicable Amchier family, traitors that use their foreign connections to maintain power, have one more crime that they’re hiding!] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[And what, pray tell, is that? Why don’t you illuminate our supposed crimes for the audience?] - Rose 

 

Drunk on the attention the little brat didn’t realize that she’d just crossed the line. Her words only further shaming her. Even if some of those present might have supported her previously, her accusations, without proof, would only be used to poison and kill her family. And the worst part, she’d done it to herself. 

 

[Their beloved daughter is the next Demon Lord.] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[Yes yes, we’re all aware of the tactics of the Church. We all know that they use the same claim to legitimize their so-called “Holy War”. No one here would actually claim to believe such diatribe. Even I would hesitate to spread THAT bit of gossip. Either present some proof or leave, I doubt that you’ll find too many friends here after that circus. Does anyone here disagree with me?] - Baroness Milsett 

[Be calm my friends, of course I thought of that and brought the proof that will back up my words!] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[Then show it and be done with this farce. That is, if you dare.] - Karen 

 

I hadn’t expected that, Among the many reactions to someone directly accusing me of being the Demon Lord I hadn’t actually thought that SHE would come to my side so openly. Honestly, I thought that most of the nobles present would take a “wait and see” approach rather than throwing their support behind me. Instead, most of those present showed open hostility towards the Manchen brat, I even heard a few mention something about her family bowing to the Church. All of this going fully unnoticed by the girl that was high up above the clouds, all while her cousin was teetering on the edge of fainting. 

 

[Oh, I will! Do you see this? Does anyone know what this is?] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[It’s a magic item, what of it?] - Veronica 

[It’s not JUST a magic item, it’s a-] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[That’s a Truth’s Eye!] - Malaise 

[...yes, it’s a Truth’s Eye. It’s a device that shows the status of anyone it targets! And it’ll show the proof that this Demon is hiding!] - Minerva de la Manchen 

 

Finishing her speech with the widest, most malicious smile, imaginable, she turned the Status Revealing device on me. 


- Abelis Academy City, Celebration of Birth Party Venue – Princess Elizabet's POV – 

What a fool. In my short life I’d seen many young nobles throw around their parents positions to get their way. Most of the time it was a foolish move as all it did was draw animosity from those below you in social standing and contempt from those above you. It was never a long term plan to do something like that and only served to draw attention to the failings of the family involved. It’s the entire reason that it was so frowned upon yet still many nobles without their own prospects or accomplishments would still fall back onto it when presented with difficulties. 

In a way such things might be a reason to pity such individuals because they felt so inadequate without the power of their families that they felt like the only way to be respected was to threaten someone into it but that only applied to those that grew out of such things. “Pity the child who doesn’t know any better but hate the fool that never learned any better.” Such philosophical sayings illustrated exactly what was going through the minds of nearly everyone watching the young Manchen heir. 

If she’d left it at an accusation, it might have been salvageable as a stupid mistake by a child, an unfortunate error that would scar her for the rest of her life but one that she could somewhat recover from. The problem was the way she’d went about to prove it. 

The use of items that would disclose the status of individuals that it was targeting was highly controlled and, in almost every case, extremely illegal by unauthorized individuals. As was the case with magic that showed the status of individuals those that had access to it were nearly always controlled by the state that they practiced in. Using such a device in a public setting like this would have been a heavy offense even if the other party wasn’t a noble. Since the target was a Ducal heir, it was tantamount to a declaration of war.  

 

[H-Huh? Lamia Half-Dragon? B-But how?!?] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[So, this is your so-called proof?!? An illegal device meant to force someone’s status into the open?!? You’ve gone too far and only proven your family’s incompetence! And I’m normally on the side of being in the open!] - Veronica 

[H-How dare you! Who do you think y-] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[I am Veronica de la Satania! Daughter of the Satania Royal House and I denounce you, so-called Manchen heir!] - Veronica 

[W-What?!? But she- I mean- She must have somehow tricked the Truth’s Eye! Yes! That’s the only thing that mak-] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[SILENCE! I’ve been quiet thus far because you hadn’t yet broken any laws but, not only have you done something that could lead to war between your two Ducal Houses, you’ve also failed to prove any wrong doing on the Amchier side! Now, when presented with the truth of your folly you dare to claim that she would have the skill and power to fool such a powerful device?!? Leave, I’ll be speaking with my cousin about further actions tomorrow. What you do between now and then will determine if you are granted leniency due to your young age.] - Princess Jilliane de la Anguis 

 

Nothing abnormal. Letting out a sigh of relief at seeing nothing damaging, I turned my anger back towards the source of it. Truthfully, I’d suspected that my friend was hiding something and that there might have even been some truth to the claim of her connection with the earlier Demon Lord. Although I’d never thought that she was evil of course, only that she was connected somehow... 

The only strange thing was that her status was much higher than the average for her age, even rivaling some trained adults, but her race was listed as Lamia Half-Dragon. I did hear that her family boasted a connection with a True Dragon but had formerly discounted that as mere hearsay. What’s more, since this had been revealed in such a public fashion it would undoubtedly make its way back to the Church itself. In revealing such information, the Manchen heir had only set even more of a target on my friend Rose. 

I knew how people viewed me, the innocent fool, the idealist, the child with only her goodness and no political acumen. And it was true that I certainly felt like I could do something good with my newfound status as official heir so in a way that was correct.  

But I was no fool, I was not a good person that only saw the best in those around me. Despite not being set to inherit the throne I’d still participated in politics from a young age, I’d seen some of the darkness of the world and knew that many people would do anything to get ahead even if it meant the world would burn around them.  

Rose, though, was different. Innocent in a way that made no sense for a noble, pure of heart and action, almost to a fault. Her face when she was worried about something or happy wasn’t hidden behind a mask like almost everyone I met. She was, as father had said, a hero. A true hero. 

 

[F-Fine! Come on Alice!] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[I-I-] - Alice de la Serpanis IV 

[I SAID COME ON!] - Minerva de la Manchen 

[No, she has nothing to do with your actions. You made your mistake, don’t try to drag someone down with you.] - Princess Jilliane de la Anguis 

[I-B-But I- Fine...] - Minerva de la Manchen   

 

That wasn’t technically true, everyone present knew that. It was nearly impossible that the young noble currently trembling behind a group of older nobles was entirely unaware of the Manchen heir’s plan. She’d likely been present during the planning stage at least and obviously would have had prior knowledge of some of it. That said it was also obvious that it had been against her will the entire time, her expressions made that perfectly clear. 

Even so, if it hadn’t been for the Princess personally vouching for her innocence (indirectly anyway) she would likely have been punished just the same. Luckily, no one was willing to call out the Royal on her obvious ploy, not that many would have done so regardless since the consequences of the current farce were entirely contained within Anguis, only involving nobles from said country. 

 

[Well then, I think we should forget about the interruption and carry on, with our host’s permission of course.] - Princess Jilliane de la Anguis 

[R-Right yes, everyone have fun. Don’t stop at my expense.] - Rose 

 

Cute, that innocent look is cute. My first friend is adorable! 


- Abelis Academy City, Celebration of Birth Party Venue – Rose's POV – 

What the hell just happened?!? One minute I’m dealing with that loud mouth brat from the Manchen family and the next I’m having the fake status we designed exposed in public! I know that we’d chosen everything meticulously when the Gnome’s had given me the bracelet, but I’d never expected to have to worry about such a thing so quickly! Damn, am I relieved that we dealt with it instead of putting it off till the last minute cause I nearly had a heart attack when my status showed up in front of everyone. I mean yeah, we’d tested it to make sure it would correctly show the fake information but even still the suddenness of everything was nerve-racking! 

Wait, did someone remember to grab the devic- 

 

[Young Miss, I have confiscated the device that the Manchen bra- heir used. Shall I turn it over now or hold onto it for now?] - Annabelle 

[Ah! Thank you, Annabelle, please keep it safe for now. We should turn it over to Aun- Ahem! Queen Laura.] - Rose 

[If that’s what you want, I can do that for you. Estelle and I are going to visit her after we’re finished here. Figured it was high time for a family reunion after not seeing each other for several years. But besides that, how are you feeling?] - Princess Jilliane de la Anguis 

[I’m fine thank you, a little shaken up. Wasn’t exactly expecting such a direct confrontation but I’ll be fine.] - Rose 

[Are you sure about letting her go? What if she tries something even worse?] - Malaise 

[Nah, did you see her face, girl is so shaken up by what just happened I’d be surprised if she doesn’t run back to her mommy crying.] - Veronica 

[Well well well, if it isn’t the Royal Daughter of the Satania House? Any more nobles to put in their place?] - Karen 

 

The wince on her face was surprising, honestly, I’d known that she was a noble at the very least for a while now but hearing that she was related to the Royal Family of the succubi was a bit further than I’d expected. Still though hearing the normally perverted degenerate stand up for me had been extremely heartwarming. Especially in light of her normal actions. 

 

[Gah, please don’t. I prefer being the nameless perverted friend. Mmm perverted... Ow!] - Veronica 

[Quiet you! Weren’t you so deadset on hiding that?!? Why did y-] - Malaise 

[I couldn’t help it! She was just pissing me off and no one else was saying anything!] - Veronica 

[And you decided that it was the perfect moment to reveal your identity?!? Ver it’s sometimes exhausting being your mai- Oops! Nothing I said nothing!] - Malaise 

 

Wait what?!? Maid? Was she about to say maid?!? I know that our adorable nerdy fox had been sponsored by Veronica to even enter this school but to be the maid?!? Plus, the smug look on Annabelle’s face as she looked down at the newly revealed maid showed that she’d likely known that fact for a while. 

 

[...maid?] - Shade 

[Wait, Malaise, are you Veronica’s maid?] - Argent 

[N-No way?!?] - Urz 

[I-U-Umm? Nop.] - Malaise 

[Nop?] - Everyone 

[I’m noooooooot!!!] - Malaise 

 

Running away from us at full speed she ended up pushing her way through a crowd of annoyed nobles as they made way for the quickly pursuing Veronica. Their deference clearly related to her newly revealed status as a Princess. Although I had no idea how far up the inheritance, she was... 

 

[Well now that everything has been dealt with, I’d be happy to take that device off your hands. Something that powerful shouldn’t be in the hands of just anyone. Not that you or your maid are just anyone of course. Although I should ask cousin how exactly the Manchen and Serpanis Houses got ahold of such a rare device...] - Princess Jilliane de la Anguis 

[Yeah, it feels like someone is behind the scenes pulling all the strings...] - Karen 

[…!] - Princess Jilliane de la Anguis 

[...what?] - Karen 

[I’m sorry but Estelle and I must depart. We wish you well. Estelle.] - Princess Jilliane de la Anguis 

[Understood baby, it’s been a wonderful celebration, too bad our leaving was colored by such a terrible farce. Ah! And if you ever want the two of us to teach you a thing or two let us know.] - Lady Estelle de la Anguis 

[I-I don’t know what you could possibly be referring to!] - Rose 

[Oh, I’m sure. Treat our niece well you hear me?] - Lady Estelle de la Anguis 

[I don’t need you to remind me. But, thanks.] - Karen 

 

Giggling to themselves, the two Royals, calmly but swiftly, made their way to the exit. Some nobles, likely seeing an opportunity to ingratiate themselves with the now available Royal women, approached the two, only to abruptly change their minds and make way for them. I suspected that, while they were putting on the public face of civility and calmness, something about the earlier event had struck a chord with the two of them and that apprehension was driving away the buzzing pests. 

Still though I- Wait that means they have an idea as to how the Manchen brat got the device?!? Is this connected with the Church, what abo- 

 

[It’s out of our hands for now Rose. Don’t worry about it.] - Karen 

[Huh?] - Rose 

[That device thing, the Truth’s Eye, we’re too young, too unfamiliar with this world to do anything about it. We’d just get in the way if we tried to force ourselves into dealing with something that we don’t understand. And, unlike quite a few of those Isekai novels with no one else able to do anything about some great evil, we have quite a few people here.] - Karen 

[I mean- but... You’re right, plus I think I owed you a dance, didn’t I?] - Rose 

[As much as it pains me to admit this, I think you owe someone else that dance first...] - Karen 

[A-Ah, b-but is that all right? I may not have known about your... relationship, when I asked for the first dance, but I’d hate to interrupt someone else unnecessarily. Of course, I’d be willing to give you the first dance, or even withdraw fully if it would make either of you uncomfortable.] - Princess Elizabet de la Abelis 

[It’s fine, right Rose? I’m not exactly the jealous type. Plus, I’m already nearly full after that reaction earlier. Heh...] - Karen 

[I-I certainly don’t know what you could possibly be talking about! P-Princess let’s go!] - Rose 

 

The smirk on my beloved slime girl’s face made it clear that she didn’t believe a word of what I just said. To be honest, I didn’t either. 

Flushed with embarrassment from both her teasing and her ability to fully see through my worries I took the young Princess’ hand, her face mirroring mine as she flushed red slightly. The surrounding nobles, sensing that they would be unable to get near me for now, backed off as the music that had faded away with the incident started up again. I noticed Annabelle’s nod as she directed the hired staff to resume their duties rather than gawking at the drama that had taken place not a few minutes earlier. 

I’d have to discuss with her how to deal with rumors coming from this incident, especially since we hadn’t planned to reveal my faked information quite yet. 


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh, and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
13