Chapter 1: The Immortal Witch
3.6k 17 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In this world, one must realize that we are not born equal. Intrinsically, the value of each individual being is unquantifiable. However, when we are born, we are born in many varying positions- sometimes at the bottom, sometimes at the top. Thus, we strive to reach a higher place in life. Though try as we may, we must realize our lack of equality. Only in death, are we truly equal. The young, the old, the rich, the poor, the humans, the animals, sane and insane, all find equality in death. This inescapable law, allows all of us to reach the same destination.

 

So what can be said of someone who cannot die…? Surely, they’d never be able to rest, they’d carry on about their life attempting to reach that end point that they were robbed of. 

 

They’d live opposite of humanity, with just one single wish in their heart. This wish can be heard from the bottom of their soul:

 

--------“I want to die.”-------

 

Lusha Viscerilis’ eyes shot open. Before even moving, she merely scanned her surroundings. The room was much the same as it was a century ago. The dark stone walls had been swallowed by vines, and moss covered almost every stone in sight. It was already growing when she had been put to sleep, but based off the progression now, she estimated that it must have been 110 years since her slumber. 

 

She sat up from her coffin and yawned. The creaking of over a hundred bones mimicked that of an old ship. Afterall, she hadn’t moved in decades. She yawned again, before rubbing her eyes and stepping out of the coffin. Observing the room once more, she noticed that despite the moss and vines everywhere, her possessions were in immaculate condition. Her lab and experimental desks were also untouched. 

 

“Haha, Merlin. . . thank you.” She laughed given that she knew Merlin was the type to have maintained this place occasionally. Then her laughter turned to sadness. The man was surely dead. This was a feeling that she could never get used to, no matter how many times she experiences it: Loss.

 

She sighed. Of course, she had known when she woke up that Merlin would have already passed. She wondered how that came to be. Something caught her eye- on the table there was a huge book. It must have been over 3000 pages. She walked over to the book and observed the cover.

 

“Changes of This Century.” -Merlin.

 

“I see… thank you, old friend.” There was a single note left poking outside of the book. 

 

He has resurfaced.”

That was the entirety of the note. With rage in her eyes, Lusha crumpled the paper and set it ablaze with her magic. She had no idea when Merlin had passed, but if too much time had passed, the world could be drastically different than before if that man was left unchecked.

 

No, knowing Merlin, he would have awoken her if it was getting to a dangerous point. Nevermind, she felt sick being in this palace. She threw on her cloak from the coffin and gathered a couple items. Upon placing them all on the table, she closed both of her hands around all the objects. By the time her two hands collided together in a clap, the items that were between them had disappeared.

 

This was Spatial Magic. [Unexpendable Pocket]  The technique was one of the oldest in the book, allowing her to carry any multitudes of items within a void. This was an old technique that she had invented herself almost a millennia ago.

 

When she departed and reached the throne room, she was delighted to find that it was completely unscathed. Everything within the room was well preserved and not a single piece of moss or grass intruded. This also must have been Merlin’s doing. Yet again, she thanked the former student. 

 

A long red carpet outlined with gold and runic symbols lead the way to the throne. The throne was huge. It could only have been fit for giants. Two gold seats melted together and were encompassed by various protruding spikes. 5 Total on both of them, each adorned with ceremonious Rivilin Stones. 

 

The stones were a very impressive size. Rivilin stones usually radiate light from within them. These golden Rivilin stones however, were much brighter. It seemed as if it could illuminate the whole room.

 

She lifted one of the middle Rivilin stones from the throne’s crest and immediately a new door opened behind the thrones. There, an eerie glow seemed to emanate from the room. Unlike most of the other rooms, this one exuberated a tremendous magic aura. Over 100 pillars greeted her within this room. 

 

Unlike the throne room, the floor appeared to be made of some kind of marble. Veins lined throughout the marble and let out an eerie cyan glow. Even the pillars let off the same glow.

 

As she paced down this long room, she was greeted by many familiar objects. Floating orbs containing mementos dotted her field of vision. Swords and spears, shields, candy, necklaces, and art pieces swirled continuously around. 

 

This was her treasury room. She kept many memories within this single place. Lusha stopped dead in her tracks upon realizing what was before her.

 

An old man, dressed in all black. His cloak was one of exquisite material. Long white hair stemmed to his feet and a beard competed with its length. He held a staff in one hand, and a red sash in the other.

 

The most grueling detail however, was that he was long dead. The body was decomposing greatly. Tears began to run down Lusha’s eyes. “Oh Merlin...to the very end, you were an amazing student.

 

She nodded to him and took the sash that he had offered. For sure Merlin would have preferred he be used in her necromancy, but she couldn’t take it upon herself to disrespect his student like so. Thus she cast another spell [Eternal Orb]. A ball of light enclosed around Merlin, shrinking him down to the size of a single ruler, before floating up above and joining the fray of random floating particles.

 

She would surely fix his appearance later. To think Merlin would have chosen this place as his final resting ground. He must’ve slept within to protect her precious items. 

 

Well, if that man was alive after all, he would for sure have need to protect the treasury.

 

She sighed.  “Let’s see if I can find what it is I’m searching for in this generation.”

 

She gathered her stuff and prepared to depart. For sure, in this new world, there has to be an answer. She had come close once, but would not allow the opportunity to slip her fingers yet again.

124