Age Thirteen – Kyron and the dog 4
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Age Ten Kyron Loeth -

“Big bro—!? What are you doing here?” Kyron exclaimed, noticing his bespectacled older brother following behind him.

Although he directed his question towards Vigril, Kyron stared disappointedly at his younger brother, Urie, who was hiding behind him, whispering a soft apology while avoiding eye contact.

“Looks like we were caught.” Vigril shrugged his shoulders after being spotted.

“Little Urie didn't tell me anything, it was me that insisted we follow you.” He replied, ruffling the hair of his youngest brother to reassure him that he wasn't at fault. “I was curious as to why you kept going out in the evening, do you always go to this particular spot?”

Vigril took a quick glance around the area. A wide grassy field, nothing but a remarkably large tree with its base covered by bushes was nearby.

“Y-yes, I do. This is the place I go to when I want to relax.” Kyron answered unconvincingly. His eyes were darting to the side, hoping that his pup, Iska, wouldn't reveal herself.

“You've been going out to 'relax' a bit too much. I hope you're not mixed up in something troublesome.” Vigril lightly sighed as he crossed his arms on his chest, a bit discontent at the lack of amusement he'd gotten from this venture.

“Nothing of the sort! I told you, I only came here to relax!”

Kyron's insistence caused his elder brother to squint his eyes in slight suspicion.

Vigril scoured the area again, but after hearing nothing but the chirping of the surrounding birds, he gave up and said, “Come on, little Urie, let's go back—!?” before holding onto his words.

Underneath the lens of his glasses, his eyes had widened the furthest they could. He was startled.

Emerging from the bushes at the base of the large tree was a magic creature. On all fours, sharp fangs, claws, a bushy tail, and jet-black fur. Its glowing purple pupils were staring at them with motives unknown.

“Kyron!!!” Vigril shouted, and ran towards the side of his younger brother.

“No— Wait, big bro!” Kyron yelled back, already privy to what had caused his brother's abrupt actions. “She isn't—“ She isn't dangerous, he meant to say, but was quickly pulled behind by his elder brother.

“Kyron! Take little Urie back to the house and call father! I'll try to hold this beast back in the meantime!”

“Big bro! I'm telling you—“

“Kyron! NOW!!!”

Vigril's urgent shout caused Kyron to flinch and gulp a mouthful of air. This was the first time he'd seen his brother act so tense.

He suddenly felt a certain amount of anxiety build up in his chest, but didn't make a move to retreat. He clenched his fists and instead took a few steps in front of Vigril before bursting into a run towards his pup, Iska.

“What are you doing!!?” Vigril cried in disbelief, and quickly chased after his younger brother.

She's a good girl! She wouldn't hurt anyone!!! Kyron shouted, but only in his thoughts as his lips were held by his teeth, not allowing for the words to be said.

He saw Iska start running towards him and prepared to be met with her usual welcome, but instead... received a lash of her claws on his face.

“Kyron!!!”

Arriving a second too late, Vigril grabbed Kyron by the collar of his shirt, dropping him on the ground behind him and raised his left arm to receive a set of sharp fangs.

With no weapon in hand, Vigril took the chance while the beast still held on to his arm to place his right hand on its stomach and fire a blast of frigid mana.

The beast flinched and slackened its jaws from the hit before jumping a few meters back.

Vigril glanced at the figure of the beast in front of him, assessing his damage. Although the fur around its waist was covered in frost, it looked unharmed.

He clenched his left hand to check if he didn't lose its faculties and fortunately, nothing seemed amiss aside from the throbbing pain and the blood seeping through his sleeve. Unfortunately, his younger brother was lying on the ground, and behind him, their youngest stood frozen in place.

“Are you alright?” Vigril asked, as he'd noticed Kyron still retaining his consciousness.

“L-Let her go,” Kyron muttered, raising half of his body off the ground while hovering a hand on his wound. He repeated, “Let her go...” with tears welling up from the corner of his eyes.

“Let her—? You're talking about the shadow wolf!?” Vigril questioned, confused at what was going on through his younger brother's head. He didn't even have the luxury of the choice.

If she would immediately leave then he would gladly let her leave, but watching the mana beast take a few slow steps in their direction, he could see that it wouldn't be that easy. He raised his arm to the side and began gathering mana within his right hand.

Kyron, seeing the familiar glow and formation of Vigril's weapon, shouted, “No!!!” and faltered trying to quickly stand up.

“Huuuuu...”

A voice from behind caused both of them to look back.

Their youngest brother, Urie, had begun to cry. Vigril grit his teeth and hastened the circulation of his mana, directing all he had gathered into solidifying his spear.

“Kyron! Stop being stubborn and—“ He was about to instruct his younger brother to take their youngest and run but was dumbfounded as he turned to face the beast again. Kyron had taken the chance to stand up and was already approaching the shadow wolf.

Vigril didn't know what to do.

He let out a puff of white air in resignation and just watched, anticipating the inevitable— the moment his brother would once again be assaulted by the beast.

But it didn't arrive.

The shadow wolf was retreating instead of attacking. Its eyes were no longer glowing and its head was lowered, showing an intense expression of guilt. Kyron continued to approach, holding his hand out towards it unhesitantly.

“Iska, come on girl, I know you didn't mean it.” He whispered, trying to soothe her, but she whined and let out a pained howl, not daring to get close to him.

Kyron forced a smile, “I don't think you can stay here anymore...” he said, as his lips quivered from his emotions trying to them down. He lowered his gaze to the ground as he felt an ache in his heart from Iska's aversion, but he still continued,

“Remember... remember the big tower...?” He said, finding each sentence harder to speak. “W-wait a bit, and when the sky goes dark, run inside— I'll look for you someday and we can play again, alright...?”

When Kyron finally spoke the words, he felt a slight wetness wipe the tip of his fingers from his outstretched arm. He quickly raised his head to look, but Iska had already left.

His knees buckled as he felt dizzy at the loss of blood, stumbling, and almost falling to the ground. Thankfully, his eldest brother appeared under his right arm and caught him.

“You've got a lot to tell me, little brother,” Vigril scolded, his gentle tone of voice indicating that he wasn't angry. He didn't feel any immediate need to ask questions as for the time being, he was just glad that both of his brothers were alright.

“Let's get you cleaned up.” He said, urging his brother to walk.

“Mmmm...” Kyron replied weakly, putting one foot in front of the other.

While they tottered towards their youngest sibling, Vigril spoke softly,“Kyron, the story we'll go with— We were attacked by a stray dog, got it?”

His suggestion earning a surprised look from Kyron, he following with, “Although I'm pretty sure they won't believe us.” As he chuckled in an awkward manner, trying to raise his younger brother's spirits.

Kyron didn't reply but smiled warmly at his elder brother's support. He clumsily wiped his tears on his shoulders, avoiding his wound on his left side.

And as they'd reached their youngest brother, they both knelt down and told him that they were alright, and adding a few more words of reassurance to soothe his crying before they made their way back home.


Two short chapters but released back to back! Also the end of Kyron and the dog Arc, and the start of The Bonfire Festival Arc! 
Hope you enjoyed!

0