Chapter 5
4.5k 3 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, Detective Chaver and Detective… Chaver, how can we help you?” after a quick introduction and a round of small talk regarding why the police officers looked like police officers, two of Jianmen’s apprentices and the two police officers finally got to the point.

 

“Yeah, brother-sister and partner things are tough, no problem, you can just call us Thomas and Aimee when we’re together. You can call us Detective Chaver when either of us is alone.” Thomas, the younger brother of the duo said without much of a care.

 

“Anyway, that aside, we are here for an investigation. Have you by any chance seen this person?” Aimee, the older sister rolled her eyes a bit and handed out a picture, which was of the lady guest from last night.

 

“Yes I remember, she was in here last night, paid cash and left really early this morning.” Caroline answered, “We weren’t here when she checked out, because we had a scuffle with her stalker slash abuser last night.”

 

“Yeah, I remember that as well, our officers were quite impressed with you. I saw the videos in evidence. ” Thomas grinned and gave Caroline and Jason a thumb up: “Sick moves! Wanna consult at our precinct?”

 

“Anyway - do you know where she went after she checked out?” Aimee impatiently shutdown Thomas’ casual question: “If not, could you tell us if there is anything that could help us track down here whereabouts?”

 

“Yeah, actually, we found that she forgot her car here. ” Jason quickly and happily answered, without much hesitation.

 

“Yeah, yeah, and we found these.” Caroline felt the sudden urge to kick Jason’s side but managed to keep it down, then she handed out the piece of fast food restaurant receipt, the single bullet and the piece of paper with the Emerson street on it, “I know we kinda shouldn’t do it, but she left her cars here so we tried to find her as soon as possible, because … you know, the stalking abuser.”

 

“Understandable.” Thomas nodded as he took all of these things from Caroline’s hand.

 

“But definitely not advised, you could get into trouble for that.” Aimee gave Thomas a warning elbow as she wrote on her notepad.

 

“Emerson street… isn’t this the place where we rai ...” Thomas almost spilled some seemingly confidential information as he checked on the piece of paper with an address on, but he was aware enough to stop himself.

 

“Yeah, yeah, that place. ” Aimee half angrily gave Thomas a “let me do the talking now” face and then turned to Caroline and Jason: “Thanks very much for your help? Do you know anything else that might help us find this person?”

 

“Oh my god, is she OK? If she went to a place that you guys raided last night, that’s bad right?” Caroline turned on her valley girl mode a bit.

 

“Yeah, that is classified. And no it was no good.” Aimee squinted her eye and stared at Caroline for a bit, “All you need to know is that she might be in danger, so if you think of anything, please let us know, OK?”

 

“Ok, no problem.” Caroline dialed her pretended accent back a bit at Aimee’s stare, as she took the contact info card from Aimee.

 

“Thanks for your cooperation, have a lovely day.” at this point the interview was basically wrapped up, and Thomas being the funnier and happier of the two waved both Caroline and Jason goodbye, “I really meant the consultant thing, we could use some kickass civilian consultants!”

 

“Well, that’s bad.” as Aimee and Thomas drove away, Jason shook his head then was about to head back to the reception’s desk and continue with his shift.

 

“So, what’s your plan for your break this evening?” Caroline leaned on the reception’s desk and asked in an abnormally nice and gentle voice.

 

“I was thinking, maybe I can continue with my design...” Jason was just about to give an honest answer, then he frowned and asked: “You don’t care, do you? What do you want?”

 

“No I don’t. And I need a favor.” Caroline nodded and smiled.

 

“Funny how fast funny things change huh?” Jason shook his head resignedly, “Yeah, name your ask first, I’m not breaking laws or pissing off Boss for you.”

 

“Neither of these, I want to make sure the girl’s OK. So I will try to track her down, but when I find her I will need you to come with me, for backup.” Caroline knocked on the reception’s desk twice and said, “I already asked some of my buddies for help, hopefully I can hear back from them soon.”

 

“Ok, but only if it is not on a busy hour, I can’t skip a busy shift. Boss is gonna be pissed.” sighed Jason.

 

“Yeah, he really needs to get that dealing with too many strangers thing checked out. I was hoping I will hear from them tonight.” Caroline stretched and headed out the lounge to the back of the inn, “Thanks again!”

 

Later today, as Jason was about to be done with his shift, a lady guest wearing a pair of sunglasses, plain jacket and jeans came into the inn.

 

“Hello, um, I was staying here last night, I think I may have left my car and my car keys here.” the lady guest asked Jason in a slightly trembling voice.

 

“Yes, we do have a car here and a lost car key. Let me contact the receptionist at the shift. In the meantime can you describe what the car looks like?” Jason started texting Caroline immediately, while asking some basic questions to verify the lady guest’s request, and to stall her for a bit.

91