Chapter 244
397 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I think I am ready to take on it now.” after watching the same hologram message for the third time in the same office and during the same day, Professor Atkinson let out a long sigh and said.

 

“Professor… ” Dolores sighed: “I … I don’t know what to say ...”

 

“Then don’t. And trust me.” Professor Atkinson looked at Dolores in her eyes: “And don’t think for a minute that this is just because of the energy stone shortage - it actually has very little to do with that. With our discovery these days - I just have this unshakable feeling that we are close to something big here. The secret message in the energy signatures - I don’t think anyone else in the world saw something like this before - it’s, it’s … almost irresistible.”

 

“I understand, Professor.” Dolores sighed: “You said this for a thousand times - and I won’t complain if you say it one thousand more. I get it, the site of a fallen god, I don’t know about the world, but in the academy, I am certain that no one has seen something like this before.”

 

“Do you think we consult Mr. Yu for a final check before?” Professor Atkinson held the dark and translucent scythe in his hands and hesitated for a brief moment: “I think we need to consult him on it more - I know that he might not be too willing to discuss this. But he might be the best consultant we’ll ever have on this. I don’t think either of us will ever know as much as he does.”

 

“Don’t sell yourself short. You have your chances with this.” Jianmen appeared at the door of the office: “If you choose to go with this contract, you’ll have  more opportunities than the absolute majority of people in this world to gain better and deeper understandings of Godfalls and almost everything else about this phenomenon.”

 

“Mr. Yu. Here you are just in time.” Dolores walked up to Jianmen: “Professor Atkinson was thinking about taking the contract from the god in the temple.”

 

“I know, as the broker and negotiator of the contract, I can sense that you have re-read the contract several times today.” Jianmen sat down and put a box of food on the table: “Now, eat something before making such a big decision - and sleep on it. Don’t make this decision when tired and on an impulse.”

 

“Smells nice, what is it?” Dolores asked.

 

“Tea cakes.” Jianmen smiled: “Your academy kitchens and gardens had a ton of stuff, just not quality matcha. So I just picked the best green and black tea leaves and made some cakes for you.”

 

“Thank you. ” Professor Atkinson took out a brown cupcake with no cream and frosting on top: “I’d assume this is black tea cake?”

 

“Indeed, and the green ones are green tea cakes.” Jianmen smiled: “I have to apologize, the purification device is still not ready - I made almost no progress on it for a few days, so it won’t be able to help you with your energy stone situation. I just had some nice inspirations I would like to try out, but I’d need more time.”

 

“It’s okay, even if we purify them to the maximum degree, what we have would last only a few days more.” Professor Atkinson took a bite from his black tea cake and sighed: “And don’t worry, I am not making the decision on the progress of the research. I am making the decision, because the recent discoveries we had showed us quite an exciting new path with great potential. Just like what I told Dolores, even if we are not facing the energy stone issue, I would still be making this decision.”

 

“Good, with decisions this big, it’s of great importance to think thoroughly and carefully.” Jianmen smiled and nodded: “Sounds like you have some questions for me? Feel free to ask, I’d be happy to answer where I can.”

 

“The one thing that kinda left me uneasy, is the thing about the contract being bound by his will and shall not be violated or disrespected. This is a little too vague for my taste.” Dolores worded her question carefully: “There’s no specification on what kinds of punitive measures will be imposed if we or him decide to break from the deal, and what will the end results be if we are not able to do it.”

 

“Oh, these I can answer you honestly.” Jianmen smiled: “So, should you take the contract, when you take knowledge from him, he will also examine your sincerity and effort in finding his descendent. Thus the knowledge you take will also be your handcuffs - if you intend not to uphold your end of the deal, the knowledge will become curses, and you will have to wander the realms until you fulfill your end of the deal. If you are not able to do so, then it would be a waste of both your and his time, so you will forget the knowledge you gained.”

 

“And, what if he decides to not uphold his end of the deal? What if he gave me false knowledge or withhold knowledge?” Dolores asked.

 

“Then he’d have to answer to me and the natural binding power of the contract, and he would pay his debt in time and the power of his will, which are things he doesn’t have a lot of. ” Jianmen said: “You should know, these kinds of contracts are also blessed by the universe, a bit like ‘True Words’. And when contracts offered by Gods are bound by their will, it means that they made a promise to you and the universe, you can pretty much take it that the cost of their breaking the promise is far greater than you could imagine.”

 

“Is that so...” Dolores thought for a while, then looked at Professor Atkinson.

 

“Oh, here.” Jianmen presented them a small piece of blue crystal: “Take this.”

 

“What is it?” Professor Atkinson asked.

 

“My explanation of the contract. I as well am bound by the promises I made and the advice I gave to you. You’ll know how to read and enforce it by simply infusing it with your power.”

 

“Okay...” Professor Atkinson held the crystal in hand and felt it with his power, then he handed it to Dolores: “I’ve made up my mind. I’ll do it.”

6