Chapter 1: Unusual Rebirth
2.7k 4 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Inside the bustling city where life thrives and activity rarely ends, another dull day begins. Full to the brim with many people walking from home to work and vice versa in an endless monotonous cycle. During one of these days, heavy rain shower starts to fall onto the land, soaking the world in water and mist. Drenching the world with a sorrowful atmosphere, with clouds that smother the brilliant sun.

While this mood hangs over the city, flashes of white lightning crash across the sky, its path rumbles and crackles with energy as it is then followed by the crash of lightning striking the earth. Nature weaving a morose and damp storm for the folk below, as the storm continues stirring, as if ready to release a harder downpour at a moment's notice.

People try to move in their daily lives with purpose and determination, all the while they remain unaware and uninterested in the machinations underneath the surface. Quickly rushing, whether to reach work quickly as orchestrated by the folk within their ivory offices or by the wrath of nature, like today with the rain wept from the sky.

~   ~   ~

Hello, I am Paula Ortiz, and it appears the world is trying to be crappy again today.

It's always trying to rain on my parade, but I guess that is just expected for someone as esteemed as me. 

That even the heavens would dare try to make my already upsetting day worse.

I pulled my sweater close to myself, trying to ward off the hostile cold that tried to permeate my bones as I strolled through the streets.

 

“Hello, I am sorry bout botherin ya-wait-”

“Hello gorgeous, would I be able to interest you in a newsp-”

“Hey, we have a great deal on our food, like I imagine it’d be-”

 

I continued my elegant stroll as I avoided showing any of the inferior vermin around me my attention, they lived their lives to serve someone greater than them.

And I lived my life above them, so what is it in their head to try to speak to me?

They weren’t born special like I was, so what do they think they are doing trying to waste my time?

 

Grrr, this is just reminding me of that idiot from this morning.

The gang has its rules for a reason, and that piece of shit couldn’t be bothered to uphold them.

I had to trudge through the dingy parts of the base to get to my beautiful workplace to handle the case.

My boss was in a rage at some poser who wanted to toss gang secrets to the police and handed me this job while I was on vacation.

 

Yes, it was his fault but it is fine, if it's good for the organization, I can be magnanimous enough to see it to the kindness of my heart to do the task beautifully.

I still remember plucking my instruments off the wall, looking over the fine cleaning I had done just a few days ago.

Blood truly does make my favored tools of the trade rust so fast, and I even have to wear clothes like a pauper-Oh.

 

I stop for a moment, staring at the silent homeless man nestled on the side of the road.

I stared silently, as the man, in turn, stared at me, appraising my appearance, likely finding it beautiful I imagine. 

However, I didn't stay long, as I took out two things, a ten dollar bill, and a small note, that I quickly wrote the places I saw that were hiring anyone. 

 

Once done, I place both in the man’s donation cap and state firmly yet softly so only he may hear.

“I do not know your situation and I do not have time to waste, so take these things to live better. Have a good day.”

Without missing a beat, I walked away, not waiting to see how the man reacted, returning to my journey.

 

Now where was I in my thoughts?

I try to recall, as I return to my purposeful stroll, having already forgotten the man I gave items.

OH yes, the nerve of that idiot, trying to spill gang secrets, though given we caught it in time, the gang successfully weathered the storm. Not so much for the rat, but he’d understand why his organs would have to be used as elegant examples.

He agreed to be a role model of traitorous disobedience, so it is what it is.

 

My heels clacked as I walked to the crosswalk, awaiting when the crosswalk would be available, as I did not want my custom-made attire to be wetter than it had to be.

As soon as the crosswalk light turned on, I strutted forted, trying to make good headway to return to my home. 

That is when I heard the most awful noise and felt, the most awful agony I ever felt in my life.

 


Like a bolt of lightning, this indifferent miasma that hung over the crosswalk ends up being shattered moments later, as something so sudden and brutal plays out in front of the crowd as their attention is unable to tear their gaze away. The folk who were already watching traffic see it happen ever so slowly, as they can't help but gawk at the sight that seems foretold.

 

As a thoroughly drunk driver charges through the streets, unable to focus on anything, too gone to notice their error. As their vehicle hits someone crossing the walkway, with the center of it, many are too slow to react to the racing slab of metal. Though it took many seconds to react to the car, the other pedestrians ran away from the crash as soon as they could, running like headless chickens. Leaving as in the spot of the crash lays a broken person, unremarkable for all but the gaudy accessories adorning their body.

 

Though for everyone else present, excluding the driver, it was but only a moment for the crash to happen before it quickly ended. For the victim, however, it might have been an eternity for what happened to them. As sudden as it was, and for those mere moments, what they focus on is the loud thud followed by excruciating pain as their body is crushed, as their view settles onto the damaged grill moving into sight. The driver inside is forcibly startled into clarity by what they had done, however accidental.

 

The driver in turn lives through the moment, thinking back on what led to this horrible accident. They recall their night, remembering that they just returned from a bar, thoroughly drunk. Instead of waiting or eating some food he had left in his car to help sober up, started driving onto the road. Too drunk to focus on driving on the road on a rainy day, uncaring of the law, before it was too late.

 

The person in the seat begins to grow pale at what they had done, while the victim lay dying below on the pavement, giving pained breaths. The driver begins to call for an ambulance, firing off directions. While in front of his truck, the victim's blood dripped onto the asphalt road, and they lay there dying, battered, and half-stained, in their pool of blood.

 

Wheither by misfortune or simply the nature of their wounds, the victim's final moments arrive, for from which their body ebbs away a soul.  Once out, the soul begins to float and moves upwards, as it leaves the world below, for a new place beyond the material plane. As the soul floats up, a strange opening forms in the sky in the path of the soul. Though the soul tries to turn away, it's pulled into the new space, by an unknown force, though by this point the soul's consciousness has entered dormancy, as it enters a space beyond mortal sight.

 

Within this new space, appears to be a lab full of vials and various other strange devices, that might not be out of an old movie. At the center of this room, is a strange white silhouette of a person holding a greyish orb, the soul in its hand. "Neither too good nor particularly bad, just average enough for the many-headed hydra to agree to let this one lone soul be taken and one more subject for the experiments I see.~" States the unknown being, while they hold the soul in their hand and examine it.

 

Once done with their examination, the unknown silhouette places the soul into a strange vortex, that could be described as appearing as a hurricane-tinted grey and a constant grinding noise flowing out of it. Once placed on it, the soul fades into the greyish twister and fades from view, as the entity returns to their work, with a black outline of a smile as they last glance at the fading soul.

 


In a frost-worn country, an abandoned town sits in the middle of a tundra, frost and ice coating every surface of the buildings. Within one of these buildings, a strange light flickers into existence in a cold secluded but otherwise preserved room, full of miscellaneous memorabilia scattered around the room. A torn-up rag glows with an ethereal glimmer, before fading away once more, leaving the room still as it was before the glow's appearance. 

 

58