Chapter 2: First Observations
1.9k 0 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A night later in the frozen plains...

On this night, an intense rain pours onto the land outside, with mud and snow intermixing. As the previous day's chill keeps the air frosty, the ice and snow cover the ground on large patches as well. On occasion, the crash of lightning can be heard striking in the distance. Though what is only a short distance away from the mud-filled frozen plains is a densely wooded forest where many large animals and monsters reside. Though just on the edge of this forest exist an abandoned town in which the newly sent soul resides and slumbers in.

Within this town, that has been abandoned to the elements for ages. Lies an assortment of cadavers littered across the town and on buildings. Some of the most preserved of the townsfolk's corpses show heavy signs of battle to some decaying with faint sword wounds still visible, though the vast majority of cadavers are skeletons now. Some of the newer bodies also show this kind of wear, especially on the items they possessed in life still, though that is expected, as the new inhabitants make short work of any unprepared visitor, in the place of those who did it to them in life.

Though the life of the inhabitants has long since faded from this world, something lives within their town to this day. That honor goes to the undeath that is found all over and around the forgotten settlement, that of many who have died here. Though not all have returned to this existence as Skeletons, with some becoming Zombies or the stronger Ghouls instead, most have returned.

Now held here, by the large and growing number of grudges holding them to this place. Though the fate of this settlement has long been decided. Life has returned once again to this settlement, though however temporary it stay will be in this place. As from its night-long slumber, the reborn soul begins awakening for its first time, soul adjusted to the forces exerted upon it by its rebirth.

 


 

With faint shifting noises, what I wake up to is darkness, with a bit of panic from the accident, I start trying to open my eyes, surprised that I'm not dead. As I wonder if I'm in a hospital, I begin to see that is not the case. As from what is visible is an old stone floor, some rotted boxes at first glance, and the pedal-stool I'm on but can't see anything else further away. The crates that are close are filled with miscellaneous items in them, though the few that can be seen are in a horrible state of disrepair. Though that begs the question.

Where am I? I comment as I try to move my body, and though it seems to work, I only shift a little on this weird pedal-stool. Though I can't tell what's going on, I do notice exactly where the response is from, a large swath of cloth, confusing me as I wonder how my whole body fits under? I try moving again, still not grasping what is happening, as I try to see if moving from under the blanket is possible. I then realize instead of normal vision, that only goes one direction, I've been looking all around myself... Covering a small area around me, that's weird? But that can't be right, my body is...there though...

Instead of a human body moving, realization dawns as I notice the cloth is shifting about instead. . .  When I stop trying to move, so does the cloth. For a moment, I'm unable to process what I just saw, and try to not freak out. Once unattended, I settle back down on the central room pedal stool, trying to accept what I'm seeing as existence. Though by then, I'm starting to question what is going on. Stammering, I try to move once more, and this time, actually focus on myself...  As I stare directly at what feels like my body, confirming that, I am a somewhat large rag slightly off-center on the pedal stool.

As I'm left in a panic, I'm left confused about what I am even, what is this body? Wasn't I going to be sent by ambulance to the hospital, where's the doctor? what is going on? Is this an elaborate prank or something? Do they not know the Status of who I am, I-I'm one of Don's confidants, one of her cabinet! This better not be a prank or-

 {Status activated and calibrated, triggering based on intent till User selects a chosen word to open Status.}

{Opening Status now for User.}

W-what!? What is that? What's happening? Is someone responding to me? Hello?

Within moments, a screen that deeply reminds me of those old RPG game screens appears in my face or whatever counts as one.

Though I can tell at a glance nothing is in my language, it quickly shifts to become legible for me, giving me my first good look at what all of it said, though none of it calmed me down at all.

Name: None
Age: 1 Day
Race: Haunted Rag
Monster Level: 1/10
Titles: Reincarnated Soul, Otherworlder
Factions: None Affiliated
Stats:
Toughness: F-
Energy Pools:
Soul Pool: (2 Slots)
Passive Skills:
Enhanced Repair: Lv.1
Item Status: Lv. 1
Self-Buff; Subordination: Lv. 1
Active Skills:
Soul Arts: Lv. 1

 

Huh? What is this nonsense? Commenting with a dull mental expression.

As all of this is just... too much, I definitely can't be imagining this.

Virtual reality was nowhere near this advance, this can't be a prank.

 

I sigh with listlessness as I'm struggling to understand all of this, this is just overwhelming as I have no idea where I am, what's going on, any amount of understanding of what's going on, let alone why a random game screen is in front of my face. This entire situation is way out of my field of expertise, what do I even take from all of this?

 

50