Chapter 7: Learning the Threads
672 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

While passing by tents, I noticed something I hadn't been able to before.

That the smog that flows off the shambling disgusting zombies and skeletons also flows off of these tents.

A thick black smog that feels so...comfortable for me.

 

It reminds me almost of chimney smoke, billowing into the sky undisturbed.

Smothering the sky in its dust, turning it pitch black with its presence.

With even its flakes reminscient of coal ash, falling onto the earth.

 

I manage to turn my gaze away and try to focus on the tents themselves. It is then that I notice a disgusting detail that I had overlooked for the comforting mists.

Most of these tents are stitched together horrors of design, stitched with no care for rhyme or rhythm.

Who designed these thing's in such an awful way? And did anyone make sure to stab the designer in their eyes? This is a travesty on the eyes!

 

Though before I can go on a further rant, I calm my mind as I need to place my focus elsewhere before I continue this train of irritating thoughts.

Now what was going on, I think as I try to focus on my surroundings once more.

That would be the skeleton walking into the tent next to the main one, that one thankfully made from solely one fur coat.

 

Though it's fairly futile, I try to take in every detail as we pass by the leader's tent.

As I presume the fanciest tent in this entire hogwash of a place, is for the leader.

Sadly because I couldn't plan what this Soul Art did, my window on the crate is on the side, rather than the front.

 

Even with my new vision, I could only get glimpses of that tent.

Though as I slump in my newfound body I notice something else. There is no vapor flowing off of the tent we're entering as the skeleton opens the tent's flap.

Perhaps there is a reason for that? As I quickly glance at the other tents, I see no immediate difference between the ones that are billowing smog to this one. That is something to look into later.

 

Finishing up my thoughts, I take a proper look inside, as the skeleton places my crate within.

Shuffling my crate into a snug little spot between the many crates that fill this tent.

Within are numerous crates sorted by size from the largest to the smallest, at least what I can gather with a glance.

 

The one I'm currently occupying is medium-sized.

Once it places my crate down, it takes out the hunk of iron carefully, like it was some precious jewel. 

The skeleton quickly removes the wrappings covering it that were meant to prevent it from causing any further damage to the crate. I hope.

 

Taking its time removing all of the cloaks from the sword, I take the opportunity to climb out. And not a moment later, it returns them to the crate stuffing them back inside.

I quietly begin to crawl along the ground, careful to go slow and quiet, though it quickly appears to be a pointless measure.

As it begins to look through the other crates, occupied as it continues to look for something.

 

Though perhaps watching what it does next is best. As I rather see where it goes rather than make a guess later.

I settle in, watching what it does as it goes through chests, as it eventually dredges up a set of supplies.

Stacks of old paper and a set of quills with bottles of ink.

 

Once they're held in its hand, it leaves the tent without further ado.

The sounds of its footsteps wandering away grow quieter until eventually, it grows too faint to pinpoint it.

Staying still for a while longer, waiting to hear anything in case it lingers just outside of my hearing range.

 

I wait a few minutes before I begin moving, and quickly crawl down the crate to reach the floor made of frozen dirt.

Once on the floor, I check the other crates, looking for a clue why I was left there.

Though the process of opening chests takes some time as I make sure to avoid causing too much damage to them, lest it is noticeable.

 

With how rotted some of the crates were, I had to avoid being too aggressive with all of the ones I gave an attempt. Especially when they begin to make noises, I stopped and moved on.

Though it took a few attempts, with the occasional snag(which required me to break the pieces off slowly or crawl backward to get them out of my body).

I at least discovered the purpose for why I was taken here - it was such an obvious thing I felt dumb not realizing it already.

 

If I'm not moving, I'm indistinguishable from a random cowl. Something I didn't give much thought to beyond how easy it was to hide until now.

Once on the floor, I try to quickly exit the tent from the back, rather than the front where the skeleton might still have a full view of the door from his tent.

While going to the back, I pick up some faint disturbance on the edge of my vision. While I am wary, I notice quickly that the disturbance is of (much less size) than myself.

 

After some searching, while staying low to the ground, I find the source of the disturbance.

Some small animal is going through the crates behind the smokeless tent. It looks like this world's equivalent of a mouse.

I flatten myself to avoid its attention, as I try to get close, trying to just get a better look at it.

 

Unaware of anything but its hunger, it walks over me with nary a thought, covering me in more mud than I would like.

Forcing my forward progress to a stop, though I finally get a look at the rodent and find barely any worth.

The only difference I find from my world is a long tail and a darker shade of fur.

 

As I was about to simply move and shake it off to remove the filthy thing. I stop as I realize something.

Wait, this is an opportunity for some further testing, isn't it?

Though I didn't get an explosion as I wanted from this Soul Arts skill, doesn't mean it's out of its wheelhouse.

 

This might be my chance to see if I can use my skills to harm something as well, though... I am unsure what kind of effect it will have.

As I don't have too much control over what my soul power does, I just have to take a guess and shape it.

 

I will need to know if I'm capable of harm or if I just have to make a run for it when the going get's tough.

It would be far worse to learn that when the chips are down and when I have no room for error.

Well here goes nothing! Stating impulsively as she begins her tests.

 

 

 

 

Spoiler
Name: None
Age: 2 Days
Race: Animated Rag 
Monster Level: 1/10
Titles: Reincarnated Soul, Otherworlder
Factions: None Affiliated(?)
Stats:
Toughness: F-
Soul Pool: (1/2)
Passive Skills:
Enhanced Repair: Lv.1
Item Status: Lv. 1
Self-Buff; Subordination: Lv. 1
Active Skills:
Soul Arts: Lv. 1
 
[collapse]
21