Chapter 4: Consolidated Gains
1.6k 2 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Though as a precaution before I get too deep into this process, I think I'll decide now, what concept to focus on to use to bring up status in the future. I think going with something simple is a good thing to do, as it will be less difficult to come up with an unusual word anyway. After a little pondering, I decide on the word and concept of Self and wait for the response from whatever this is.

{Chosen Word Accepted.}

Once the confirmation rings out, I return to looking at my skills, now with one less problem to deal with at the moment.

Now then let's go over the passive skills that I'm working with so that I'm aware of the tools that I have. Let's start with this skill, I state as I begin to focus intently on the skill called "Enhanced Repair". Once I do, the blue boxes begin to switch around, while in the distant background a faint sound of click-clacking of bones and groans can be heard. Though the sounds are noticeable (Which itself is notable), I rather finish my work on skill introspection than turn my focus away to something beyond my sight and current concern. Once it finishes shuffling around the screens, the skill is promptly displayed.

Spoiler
Passive Skill: Enhanced Repair Lv.1
As a result of being a Construct and as one of Adequate quality, this Skill of your race has been recognized. This skill represents the user's bodies ability to repair itself over time, though significantly slower than the average humanoid might heal from their wounds, one can expend Soul Slots to enhance the recovery to rapidly repair for every slot expended, though the effects of using multiple will stack rather than multiply the effect.
[collapse]

 

 I'm not sure if I should feel sad about how slow it is if I don't actively use slots, but It's still a feature I can use in a pinch, I think. I'll need to figure out how to use these Soul Slots before I end up in an actual life or death battle though. At least it means I won't be permanently damaged if someone tries to cause me harm and rip my body as a result.

I wonder what would have happened if I didn't have this skill and I did get damaged though. . . It's pointless to think about, I should just focus instead on the present instead of what-if scenarios. That was one of my comrade's jobs in the business, not mine to contend with.

Mine was to act with precision and do all the boss's punishment work and act as her escort/bodyguard. But enough about the past, what does Item Status do, tell me oh powerful screen. I state in a slightly playful manner while focusing on the skill, as it creates a new prompt to display the skills info.

Spoiler
Passive Skill: Item Status Lv.1

As a result of being a Construct designed for use as equipment, this Skill of your race has been recognized. As a result of your nature, most forms of detection and study skills will be usable on you, when this occurs though, your status will come up in the format as an [Adequate-Uncommon] Equipment. Self-buff skills and spells that buff yourself will buff the current user as well. You can grant access to your abilities to the user as if you were a magical item, though how many granted are restricted by your mastery and how accustomed you are to acting in the guise as an item. The higher your mastery, the more difficult it will be to find your real status without your express permission.

[collapse]

...There is a lot to unpack here, I comment while kind of wishing I could blink with my current body at what pops up. Though I think I'll start listing off what knowledge I do understand from this, to sort it better in my mind. I got this skill because of my new body, this new race or would it be a group? That is called a Construct.

This skill is a double-edged sword kind of ordeal, though its benefits outweigh most of the negatives when it comes down to it. It also makes it possible to aid anyone I deem my owner without blowing my cover as an item. It also gives me the possibility of saying no to peepers in the future trying to study me.

This does help me go unnoticed, though I don't entirely understand how that works. Though to begin with there are still many things that I don't understand about this place and its inhabitants.  Especially including the things I lack the critical information for, like people or culture, things that I would like to know as soon as possible. I'll need more sources of information to glean more from, so I'll have to make that a priority for when I can find my way out of here.

Though one of the most pressing is what I read from my stat Soul Pool about some kind of gods called Hollow gods. If the word god means what it means in my past life, then I have something to be wary of while I move about this world. But then again, it can mean an opportunity where I can seek some out for questions I have in need of answers.

Direct answers about what is this place, and why I ended up here, though that last one is mostly a curiosity for me than something pressing. Anyway back onto the work at hand, what does this Self-buff skill do? I comment slightly curious, with my cloth body rustling a little in response, as I focus on the next skill and let the status bring it up.

Spoiler
Passive Skill: Self-Buff; Subordination lv.1
A skill that is commonly obtained by classes and monsters designed to be subordinate to another. As a result of you being a Construct, this Skill of your race has been recognized. This skill augments the user's stats to a slight degree and lightly protects the user's mind while the user acts in the stead of another individual. Slightly increased ability to interpret the intent of the one who leads you.
[collapse]

...Is this is just an acknowledgment I'm good at following someone's orders ._.? Is this really a thing? I guess it does have nice effects, but being told I'm good at following orders is a weird thing to celebrate like I'm not complaining about getting it. I just have no idea how to react to seeing that blatantly stated in my face. But moving on, it appears that's 3 for 3 so far, with no particularly bad skills.

Though I do slightly wish more were interesting, most do aid me in getting somewhere in my new situation, so I can't be that ungrateful for them either. Though I hope the next skill is at least impactful, at least more than the one I just read, but maybe whatever the lv does, it will get more beneficial effects in the future. Now onto the next one, what are Soul Arts, oh great screen, I murmur whimsically?

Spoiler
Active Skill: Soul Arts Lv.1
A skill that is awakened by jobs and monsters who have a potent affinity to the ethereal realm and their soul. As a result of obtaining the Spirit Pool stat and enduring the process of rebirth with one's memories intact, this skill has been acknowledged by the world. This skill allows the user the ability to use the energy within their soul that is usually left inert, to perform feats normally associated with denizens of the ethereal realm and spiritual beings.
[collapse]

Not entirely sure what I expected here, but I guess that's something? At least I have something that doesn't actively need someone else to work at its full potential. Though I have almost no idea how to use these Soul Slots or what this really means for me in the long run. But I will need time to think it over, for now, [ let's move on to the big question of what the heck am I? I grimace with trepidation as the screen opens up for my race.

Spoiler
Race: Haunted Rag (Uncommon-★★)

A piece of cloth that is haunted by the remnants of a spiritual entity that had lived long ago in another era. It is driven often by its unfulfilled desires, to complete them in any possible manner. A creature that could tentatively be classified as both Undead and Construct in nature due to its unique qualities.

They are often found in ruins of highly advanced inventors and golemancers long since perished from old age or volatile wars between the factions. Some are intentionally created as artificial monsters made to serve a purpose, though creatures of this caliber are rarely created for more than just practice. 

They are often skilled at using the skills granted to them by their creators. Depending on the quality of their race and talents, an appropriate amount of skills are recognized. Three racial skills have received recognition by the world, Self-buff; Subordination, Item Status, and Enhanced Repair. Some racial skills are not recognized at this time.

[collapse]

I guess that's...something as well. Appears whatever happened, this body was made for the creation of a Construct. ] Though I have no idea if the maker is still alive, I am thankful it was here in the first place.

Though it does make me hopeful, it doesn't tell me much besides most of what I already knew, I mutter, as I let the screen return to my personal status.

Spoiler
Name: None
Age: 2 Day
Race: Animated Rag 
Monster Level: 1/10
Titles: Reincarnated Soul, Otherworlder
Factions: None Affiliated 
Stats:
Toughness: F-
Soul Pool: F-
Passive Skills:
Enhanced Repair: Lv.1
Item Status: Lv. 1
Self-Buff; Subordination: Lv. 1
Active Skills:
Soul Arts: Lv. 1
[collapse]

Once done with all the information gathering, I return to my main status page, and as I do, I notice something changed on my status page, as something feels off on the page. As I search through it all, I realize that my age has changed to 2 days it appears. I comment with a tinge of confusion as I process what that means for me now, as I exit out of my status.

I think that means that a new day has begun then? No idea what time it is now though, with myself been in this room since my rebirth. I comment in my mind with a bit of tired acceptance of my current setting when I recall that fact. As I scour over the miscellaneous objects in the boxes next to my pedal-stool, realization dawns on me as I notice something is occurring in the background that I've been ignoring for the past...day I presume?

I got too wrapped up in exploring the information within my status, chiding myself. As I return my focus to listening, noticing that it is some familiar sound I'm hearing, though not one I would like to hear, since the last I heard it was not a pretty sight of the source.

That being the time someone was deserving exceptional punishment. I comment slightly unsettled as I recall a former co-worker I had to punish, as I try to listen further to figure out what's occurring now.

The sounds of bones grinding against each other is audible nearby, however, muffled it sounds. As the source of the noise is moving just outside the room I'm in. Appears I have a guest, though I'll see if this is something I can use to my advantage, as the first challenge for me in this world.~

Due to some IRL issues, had to postpone the chapter one day longer, but it is now out, enjoy.

43