Vol. 1 – Chapter 2
4.2k 33 115
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***(Graeval's POV)***

She can't marry me anymore...... but were we going to get married? This was my thought when she made that statement.

"Uh? What are you talking about?" I asked pretending to be slightly perplexed

"That... I don't love you anymore..."

"Really? Did you love Me? No, no, no... wait. I rephrase the question: when did we decide to get married?"

When I asked her that question, this time it was she who was perplexed.

"But... you promised we would get married when I got back..."

"I did it?" I asked myself scratching my head, then it came back to me “Ah! Are you talking about that one-way promise of yours that you made before leaving for the capital 6 years ago?"

"Promise..."

"...one-way?" concluded Ridel also surprised

“We talk about 6 years ago. She was afraid to leave the village and made me that promise to take courage most likely." I replied looking at the sorceress first and then turning to Sarity "Girl, I didn't make any promises at the time, after all, I knew it would end like this, so why should I make a promise knowing that I couldn't keep it?"

"D-didn't you promise me?"

Sarity was shocked now, almost I was breaking up with her. Well, I admit it wasn't that different, but I'm telling her things as they are.

“We were 12. Did you believe that your feelings wouldn't change?" to that question she did not answer “They are the innocent promises of children, who do not know how the world works. Were you still hanging on to such a fragile promise?"

The atmosphere was weird and Sarity wasn't responding. I know I've been tough and I won't make excuses, but if I want to get my best friend to turn the page, I have to. I'll give her the coup de grace.

"Let's say I promised you because I loved you... do you think I'd be happy to hear you say 'I can't marry you because I love the Hero'?"

"......"

“I would be furious. At worst, I could have driven mad with pain. I would feel stupid at the very thought of having wasted 6 years of my life waiting for a person I loved, and who has become a traitor."

Sarity was tightening her clothes, while the other two women in the harem looked at her concerned and Jack was blown away by my rationality and coldness.

“I'll tell you in no uncertain terms. I don't remember if I loved you 6 years ago, but I know that now I don't feel anything for you. You are a dear friend, but by putting that childish promise in the middle... you have deeply disappointed me."

Sciaff. I felt pain and heat. Sarity had slapped me; tears flowed across her face twisted with anger. I admit, this reaction was beyond my expectations, but as I said before, it was necessary that I be forthright to keep her going.

"How can you..." she began with a trembling voice "How can you say such horrible things?!"

"Would you prefer a sweet lie to a harsh truth?" I asked her calmly “Look reality in the face. Haven't seen each other in 6 years and do you think love couldn't have gone out? It happened to you. After all, you fell in love with the Hero." Sarity fell to her knees and cried tears full of anger "Better suffer one day than for eternity."

Those words made her snap. Sarity got up suddenly and ran away in tears, followed by the other two girls. Only Jack stood there, with a disappointed expression.

"Do not look at me like that." I started looking in the direction Sarity had run away "You also know it was necessary to keep her going."

"You could have been more delicate"

I sighed and walked over to the Hero, looking him in the eye I told him

"There are things that need to be said without mincing words." then I patted him on the armored shoulder "Go comfort her."

I turned and started to go back to the kitchen. Behind me, I heard footsteps moving away

"One last thing." I stopped calling him “Make her happy. If I find she is crying because of you, pray I won't find you. Only I can make her cry."

"...I understand." there was a quick pause."You know, I thought you were another lout interested in Sarity either because of her looks or her position."

"Am I?"

"No. It is clear that you care about her."

"Really?"

"You have my respect, but you don't need to make an effort."

I felt him leave for good, while I sighed heavily. I walked to the outside of the tent, to a secluded spot. I took off the blindfold that I had tied to my forehead and watched the lazy clouds streak the sky.

“Ahah... ahhh! Really..." I felt something run down my cheeks "What a shitty reunion."

At that moment, I felt the need to drink something strong, but I rejected that idea. I knew it wasn't the solution and besides, I had to prepare food for an entire village. I ruined my relationship with Sarity. I don't know if she will forgive me because I don't know... if she will understand why I did it. Deep inside me too, it hurt. I gave the well served to my best friend with "style". I feel broken now. Nobody won, we both lost here. "A man who relies on hope or luck is a fool"... huh? It's done now. With or without her, life must go on.

***(Sarity's POV)***

Why?... Why does it hurt so much? Why the tears don't stop? What he said is true. Still, why does it hurt so much even though I love Jack? Why do I feel betrayed? What's wrong with me?!

***(Graeval's POV)***

At the end of the evening, the service went smoothly. The villagers and the Hero's group enjoyed my cooking. Even if the party was still going on and since everything had been served, I tidied up the kitchen with the assistant cooks and once they finished they went to the party that was still in turmoil, but I went back home.

I no longer live with my parents, and I hadn't paid for a room in Tarkart's inn for a while. For a couple of years, I had been living in a small house not far from the village. You can call me antisocial but since, after the evening service, it's the only time of day when I'm free, I take the opportunity to train and hit the punching bag. It still makes noise and usually, everyone is asleep by now.

I entered my house and changed into more practical clothes. I ran, jumped rope, did pushups and sit-ups, and finally started punching and kicking the bag. That evening, I saw myself in place of that bag. I probably haven't completely forgiven myself for the indelicacy of this afternoon, but I know for sure that it was necessary.

After doing all that movement, I started meditating. I needed it to train my powers, as well as the only time I could feel at peace. Or at least, that's usually the case.

Shortly after I started, I began to feel a presence... just one. It wasn't hostile, but certainly, it wasn't just any presence. The person sighed.

“*Sigh*… you made my chosen one cry. Are not you ashamed?"

The Goddess Aphy occasionally came during my meditations to disturb me. It happens shortly after Sarity left for her training. From time to time, she came to visit me to disturb me. I have even created barriers, but I understand that the reason is that I enter an out-of-body phase, where my"spirit" leaves the body.

Goddess or not, I've always ignored her. At first, she got mad about it, but after that, she practically got used to it and occasionally chatters with me, even if I never answer.

“And as usual you don't talk… *Sigh*” she sighed again “She cried all afternoon. Even the others in the group couldn't calm her down."

Is she tapping the Sarity button to try and get me to talk?

“She kept asking 'Why does it hurt so much?' and even dear Jack struggled. And to say that they are usually so intimate."

she did not stop talking

"Isn't it that maybe deep down she still felt something for you?"

Genius... I understood that too

“Don't tell me you didn't notice?! No..." she immediately denied "You're not that stupid. So you did it on purpose. You wanted to destroy what little love she still felt for you. Did you think you couldn't compete with Jack?"

......... Now don't bring up my powers

"It would be a nice fight to see which of the two-"

I opened my eyes. I was back at my house.

"Today's meditation was gross."

***(Aphy's POV)***

"-would win...... are?"

When I turned back to Graeval, I noticed he was gone. He often does. What a shy man...

"But this is also one of the reasons that makes it so cute!" I said taking my cheeks “Aaah! It was a great idea to make dear Sarity the Saint. That way, I can keep Graeval all for myself. I can't wait for you to start speaking to me. I know it's close~!"

***(Graeval's POV)***

“Brrr! For some reason I got chills."

115