The Sea Legend – 10
82 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

UNDER THE SEA

The attendees calmed down after they had introduced themselves around. The current around them was moving softly and with it Lia heard an instrument go off, producing a sound identical to the one she heard in the arena.

The sound was able to capture everyone's attention toward the tube-like glass. A few guards stood surrounding it, and one of them had that tentacle-shaped instrument in his hand.

The conversations and thoughts quietened down around Lia and Talia - who went to check on her sisters. Even the children had to return to their parents' side. As everyone straightened their spines and tails, they saw the king descending down from that hole with two other people.

The glass around him had given his tail and hair a certain reflection. It was weird to see the king himself this up close. His tail, in fact, wasn't only black, but had a hint of gray in it, as his scales sparkled every time the light, coming from the scattered plants, would hit them.

His hair spread around him like armor and the small curls reminded Lia that it was rare to see a merperson with these features. Moreover, as he was nearing the floor, she was able to see his stone cold expression and how black his eyes were. Blacker than the deep sea.

The sharp lines of his jawline and his strong nose almost made him seem as if he was looking down on everyone, and the frost that circled his eyes didn't help.

Lia saw the other two that were behind him, almost completely hidden behind Marcus' wide shoulders. One of them was a mermaid, and Lia almost instantly knew her as the princess of the sea - Adella.

Because Adella was hidden behind the king, Lia wasn't able to see her face. What gave her away were her glittering brown hair and fins.

She was the only one who possessed such a color.

Lia was also surprised to see her timidly standing behind the king, doing nothing. Especially as Lia remembered, from the few interactions she had with her, that Adella was someone with huge energy and love of dancing around.

The other person behind the king was revealed as the wide glass door opened, and the three of them walked out to the crowds. Lia was then able to see Cas.

No, Cas wasn't hidden behind the king. He stood as tall and as proud as the king himself. He was smaller in stature due to his age and maybe experience, but the slight tilt of his head and his confident stance gave him the presence he deserved as the prince of the sea.

Moreover, he was also someone Lia had memories with as a child. As cold as he now looked with his blood red eyes and dirty blonde hair, back then, he was such a joyous kid. He would be the one to pull her toward the garden and introduce her to each plant she didn't know of, recognizing how much she loved them.

She remembered that she had told him once about how his eyes sparkled like a jewel. A jewel that was so rare, it was almost impossible to find. A jewel her dad had dreamed of obtaining and would talk about for hours.

They would sit in their secret place; a cave she had discovered that was hidden by multiple organisms and was disguised as a plant. They would sneak out of their house, meet up near the reef, and then slowly trace their way into the cave that lit up in the dark.

It was utterly silent inside. Both of them were able to control their thoughts, and from how deep the cave was, no thought was transmitted to them.

And there, they just talked. Talked about secrets and dreams, and he was the second person ever — her father being the first — to know about her goal of walking on the land.

His eyes sparkled by the idea; they glittered in a way that Lia almost wanted to reach out and touch them. He had supported her, let her hand her trust to him and then-

"Stand in honor as you are in the presence of the king and welcome his highness!" One of the guards announced loudly. Everyone in the crowds bowed their heads silently, closing their eyes in the process.

They continued to bow for a few seconds before lifting their heads and gazing at the royal family. Lia didn't know what happened in that few seconds they bowed in, but when she looked up again, she saw the king with a full smile.

His eyes narrowed in happiness as he swept the crowds with his gaze, almost acknowledging every attendee. Both of his hands were behind his back, giving his muscles even more room to appear.

"Thank you all for attending today," he said, his voice sounding deeper and more real than the one they heard in the arena. "I'm mystified with emotions right now. I'm happy to hear your laughter seeping into the walls and even reaching me upstairs. Hearing the children play around and taking comfort in my palace was marvelous." He silently looked at the shy kids around the palace, before saying, "but I'm also heartbroken about what happened to one of our dear family members." There was a tinge of sadness in his eyes.

Lia bit her lips silently, feeling the pressure in her heart again. Something reminding her that she was being selfish.

She had thought that maybe the king would go on and let everyone enjoy the atmosphere a little before beginning his speech. But, seeing how he was standing and talking in such a manner, it was probably the opposite.

"I know that all of you find it weird that I would throw a party at such a time," he let out a self-deprecating laugh, "yet, from my experience, I can tell that nothing can fight sadness and despair other than wholeness and support.

"I also know that a lot of merfolk want me to announce war against the humans and show them our strengths." Lia instantly frowned as she heard his words and snapped her head toward her mother. She saw Vanora learning against a wall on the other side of the room, her arms crossed and her face showing a similar frown.

"But, that will send us all into chaos. It will all bring out something that we tried our best to end and avoid. Even after hundreds of years of our last war, we are still trying to mend broken hearts and fill in the voids that a lot of family members created with their loss." in the crowd an elder released a sob as she held onto her child. One of her hands was on her mouth, holding back the sound from coming out, and her shoulder shook with each sob. The king narrowed his eyes as anguish and pain painted his eyes.

A few more joined in as they let a piece of their pain out to the public and Marcus gave them a moment to collect themselves. "A war would destroy the balance of nature. Especially one against humans. Even if they didn't care about it, we as a powerful being, need to take care of such an equilibrium."

Knowing he was reaching the final parts of his speech, Lia found herself holding her breath. "That's why," Marcus suddenly swam upward, letting everyone see him, allowing his voice appear fiercer and stronger, "We decided to avoid war and chaos and let a family member of ours go on a mission to rescue Mo,"

0