The Sea Legend – 14
46 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

UNDER THE SEA

Her mother always had calm and aloof eyes. The ones that made a person easily see what she had been through but at the same time, understand that her bearings couldn't be hidden by the wars and scars. Yet, when anger and frustration were to be added into those two traits, her mother would turn into a complete monster.

Lia had never seen her mother this angry before. She had never seen her face turn scarlet red, and for her frown to be etched into her face. At that point, Lia wasn't scared of being beaten up by her mother, because what frightened her the most was the undeniable disappointment in Vanora's eyes.

Her mother held her forearms in a firm grip. The fiery pain that traveled through her arms made her wince, yet she held her voice back. She had predicted this would happen.

Yet, now under the excruciating stare of her mother, she could no longer meet her in the eye.

"Look at me!" she heard her shout. Her mind told her body to do as her mother ordered, yet she was frozen in her place, her mind filled with scattered words and she felt an otherworldly regret fill her.

"I said look at me!" the grip on her hand closed tighter, and there was no doubt that her mother could crush her bones if she wanted to. Her mother was stronger than anyone Lia ever knew, and for some reason, that didn't scare her.

Swallowing thickly her fears, Lia lifted up her head, looking straight into the fiery golden eyes of her mother. Lia had no time to see how everyone around her was reacting to her mother outburst, or how the king was watching all of this happen. In her mind, Lia and Vanora were in another space, space they were the only ones who understood its scars and plastered memories.

She felt the tremble in the hands that were holding her, but the anger was still apparent in her eyes. "I'm not going to let you leave like your father!"

There it was. The fear lingering in her words freed itself. It didn't matter at that point how that fear came to be or how it grew. What mattered to Lia was the sudden realization of how tired her mother looked.

The small wrinkles on her temples and the faded bags that fell under her eyes. Her elegant and beautiful mother wasn't supposed to look this old at such a young age. Yet, the years weren't so kind to her.

Lia wanted to say something suddenly but didn't know what. Should she apologize? Retreat? No, nothing was enough. Lia suddenly felt a pressure on her throat, something that was blocking her from actually saying anything.

And as the pressure increased, her eyes turning hot and the scenery suddenly becoming blurrier by the second.

"Now, I would hate to interrupt this family drama," an upbeat voice sounded. "But, I would love to invite Lia upstairs, so we can discuss the job in details." Lia felt a little thrown off at the king's words. She took the chance to avoid her mother's accusing eyes and looked at the king.

He was standing there, watching the scene with an inappropriate smile. The crinkle in his eyes as he narrowed them and the way he both of his arms crossed told Lia that he was enjoying the show.

What a king.

She retreated her gaze back to her mother, only to see her glaring at his majesty mercilessly. "Marcus!" Lia heard the gasp coming from the crowds at her mother mentioning the king's name publicly. "I won't let you take my daughter-"

"No, no, no." flicking his hand back and forth, the king swam toward both of them, letting the crowds part ways. "I'm not taking anyone. Your daughter is already of legal age to make her own choices. Good choices," he sent Lia a meaningful look.

"But even then-"

"Vanora, enough!" for the first time Lia got to her Marcus' booming voice. It was so sharp and loud that even Lia flinched. The smile on his face and the happy expression he had were all gone, as it all suddenly transformed into a dark look.

Her mother's body trembled as words fought to get out of her body. With unshakable eyes, Vanora said, "Take my daughter now and, believe me, a war against the humans will be the least of your worries."

Those words produced silence. Utter and complete silence. Whether it was because of the clear undeniable threat that was woven into them or because her mother was able to stand eye to eye against the king, Lia wouldn't know. To her, what mattered was the fear that her mother hid behind all that facade.

'It's not too late, Lia.' She thought.

'You could retreat.'

'You could say that you changed your mind.'

Lia saw the king pull a smile again, but this time, his eyes were dangerously glowing in red. "We have been through that once, Vanora. And we know how it ended."

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

Lia was taken upstairs through the tube-like passage. She had resisted at first, wanting to talk to her mother more and make sure she was fine. But, when she saw her mother turning around to leave the hall and the king ordering her to follow him, she had no choice but to keep silent.

She gnawed on her lips, utterly confused by her feelings. She had thought that she would be delighted the moment she volunteered, yet when she saw her mother's reaction, she was filled with unexplainable feelings.

She passed by the guards and by the royal family, who she found herself avoiding making eye contact with. The king announced that the party was still going, and everyone can have fun while drinking and chatting.

Lia trailed behind the king and in front of the guards. They swam upward until she could no longer see the hall, and until she was greeted with the beauty of the castle's insides.

Being built on top of the hall, the floor was as big as the hall, and it had an extended sitting area, where the center had extended sofas that were as large as beds and was made with luxurious materials.

The ceiling was tall and on it, there were plants plastered all over it that produced enough light to brighten up the room. Lia couldn't see another door that would lead to the second floor, but she was certain that there is one since the castle looked tall from the outside.

Lia was ushered to sit on the sofa, following the lead of the king that relaxed onto one. As she sat — as far from him as possible — she observed the tall windows lining every wall and how the ocean spilled outside of the castle creating beautiful scenery.

"You shouldn't be hesitant," she heard him say, snapping her out of her zone. "What you are doing is such a courageous thing. And your sacrifice won't be forgotten."

Lia frowned. 'What is he talking about?'

Then she heard him chuckle, "Don't be nervous. Why don't you try this drink as we wait for my assistant to come?" she didn't know when, but a drink suddenly appeared right in front of her.

She sipped silently, ignoring the awkward silence that enveloped the atmosphere. The sweet flavor inside her mouth had calmed her down a little, and she found herself enjoying this mysterious drink. She looked down at the transparent drink, playing with it and watching as it swirled left and right. Her thoughts completely taken by her mother.

0