Chapter 1
5k 15 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I want you to give up the position of the crown prince.”

“...”

In the room with a heavy atmosphere, the Emperor of the Zemira Empire, Augustus Zemira accompanied by the new Empress, Camilla Zemira sits before me, the Crown Prince, Arthur Zemira. 

For the reason that paved the road to this situation, we have to travel one month back in time.


My name is Arthur Zemira,  Crown Prince of the Zemira Empire.

With the mirror in front of me, I see a tall boy with blank crimson red eyes unbefitting his age of ten years. The reason behind those eyes of mine is because I just heard the devastating news. My mother, the Empress, Helena Zemira, has fallen ill and is expected to pass away soon.

From the day I was born, for the past ten years, in my presence, she was always a doting parent. Everyone, from the maids working in the palace to the countryside nobles, know about our relationship. She never scolds me and would always correct my mistake with a warm smile.

I was about to lose such an existence. An angel is going to depart from my life. Holding back the tears that threaten to fall, I quicken my pace to mother.

Numerous people have crowded in front of the Empress’s chamber. All their expressions are as dark as the sky outside.  Noticing my presence, everyone quickly made a way for me into the room. An old man, my mother’s aide, Sebastian, knelt to match my eyesight and whispered,

“Stay strong, your highness.”

Despite the overwhelming emotion dancing in my heart, I managed to nod my head, scared that I might cry if the mouth opens. Sebastian guided me to the room and opened the majestic doors. 

I made my way into the room, with the closed door behind me, my eyes instantly landed upon my mother. She was in a terrible state, with drops of sweat dripping from her forehead, her lips trembling and her hands shivering from the illness. I ran to her in a manner unfit to a prince. I couldn’t care any less about my father or the bunch of people standing in one corner of the room.

Perhaps noticing my arrival, the maid moved away from the bed. I approached mother, and slowly whispered,

“Mother, I’m here.”

Upon hearing my words, mother slowly opened her eyes. Her face relaxed after noticed me. Seeing the “Rose of Zemira” in such a state, opened the flood gates of my tears.

“Art…..come …”

Barely catching the words, I reduced the distance between me and her. At the same time, I noticed my father ordering one of the mages. The mage then kneeled by the bed and started chanting. 

“This magic is something she wished for. It will allow her to use all the remaining energy she posses for a short time.”, said my father.

I couldn’t understand...no...I didn’t want to understand. Why was mother doing this? Why? She could have lived longer. My ten-year-old brain didn’t want to understand. The mage finished the chant resulting in a brief light enveloping the empress. After the light disappeared, I felt a presence on my cheek. Mother wiped away my tears while having the unwavering kind smile. Viewing this, more tears started flowing.

“Art”

“Yes….mother”

“I won’t be beating around the bush. I have very little time left. Perhaps in minutes.
“..don’t..say..that”, I couldn’t speak properly. The words were stuck in my throat refusing to come out.

“..haha..silly child. This is the truth. Now, listen to me very carefully…”, she said in her usually cheerful voice. I couldn’t do anything but nod. Satisfied with my response, she started

“Art, remember that you have to live for yourself. Don’t care for the expectation of others and be a free spirit.”

“Yes… I will.”

“Remember to help the poor, they have no other choice but to rely on people like us.”

“Yes… I will always help them.”

“Good, at the same time don’t do bad things, alright? You should not disturb your father.”

“Yes, mother”, my mother weakly patted me.

“AHH!!”

My mother let out a small scream and placed her hand towards her heart.

“Mom!!”

“Dear!!”, I also heard my father’s panic shout. 

“Dear…I…love…you”, her breathing got worse.

“I love you too….I love you too.”

“Don’t forget…to take…breaks...during your...work.”

“I promise you. I will never overwork.”

Satisfied with father’s response, mother made a weak smile and faced me.

“Art...remember to ...follow...your heart.”, she placed her hand on my heart. Out of fear of it falling, I held her hands in place.

“Art...I love...you…I am...proud to...be...your...mother.”

“I love you too!!”, by this point tears were flowing uncontrollably. 

“...again…”

“I love you!!”

“...once more…”

“I love you, mother. I LOVE YOUUU!!!”

She made a small angelic smile. With that, she closed her eyes. Her breathing stopped. And finally, her hands that I held fell limp failing to fight gravity.

Rose of Zemira, Empress Helena Zemira, my mother passed away with a satisfied face.

“AHHHHHHHH!!!!.....MOOOMMM….WHAT SHOULD I DO WITHOUT YOU??!!!”

I screamed without care about my surroundings. Everyone was crying, from the maid to the mages.

Father kneeled next to me, I noticed that he too couldn’t his emotions and let it flow.

For a long time, I sat next to her crying. Screaming her name and keep on repeating the things we did together. Clinging to the small thread of hope, that she would wake up again to show her smile. Of course, that never happened. 

Soon, the sun rose, lighting up the dreaded night. And with that, some people came into the room and carried my mother away.

I could do nothing but watch as she goes away.



Hey, this is my first time writing a novel. I don't have many expectations. But I am looking forward to your reviews.

124