B1 — 6. Trap or Opportunity?
229 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Helena's body felt warm as her consciousness stirred. She could hear beeping at irregular intervals and voices speaking softly in the background, they were hard to make out. She recognized pressure on her left arm and a strange taste in her mouth. She could sense the presence of her bracelet and earrings as they pressed against the pillow and some form of fabric over her body. They still haven’t taken my jewelry. Why? For what purpose would they overlook them?

Focusing on the sounds, she tried to determine the language’s guttural tone. It was North Irean, a language spoken by the Rubin Tribes in the northernmost sections of Elestveeve. The Deities quelled their rebellion fifteen years previous and had indoctrinated them into their faith.

She only knew a little of the most common dialect, but she was still able to make out a few words and put them together. Aregirlpower, was all she could translate before going silent. After several seconds their speech switched to Florisin, the most common language of modern Elestveeve, her native tongue.

"Are you sure she's awake?" A familiar male voice asked.

"Yes, she should be awake by now. With how the equipment started acting up, I would say she's regaining stability. She was extremely fatigued when brought in twenty hours ago, physically and mentally.  I’ve already taken care of any bodily functions she would have required, so she can rest peacefully. I recommend at least another day of recovery." A female voice responded with an edge of aggression. A doctor?

"Good. You can leave now." The man’s hurried speech and sharp tone spoke his excitement.

Her reception began to feed her fuzzed data with her mind clearing. Blurred bioelectrical impulses depicted an image, but it would be a few minutes before she could recognize specific signatures. I must be recovering in some kind of wellness center and it seems I’ve been unconscious for at least twenty hours. The tenant said I’m awake, so it’ll do little good to play possum.

Opening her eyes, she blinked, wiping away the sleep to survey her surroundings. She was in a hospital like room. The screens of the equipment around her were on the fritz, showing randomized information and blinking off and on. Retracting her electrostatic field, the equipment started to stabilize.

The man was smiling as he studied her reaction from across the room, sitting in a foldable metal chair. Her mind worked through its fogged memories. It’s the man that was with Drake in the woods. What was his name … Ventre.

The woman had fair skin, black hair that was pulled back into a tight pony-tail, green eyes, slender eyebrows, thin cheeks, downward-turned lips, and a small upturned nose.

She glanced in Helena's direction before returning to a chart firmly secured in her delicate hands. Her eyes moved back to her with scrutiny, turning back to the chart, she ticked off a few things with a pen. Nodding, she turned and walked out of the room, shutting the door behind her. Helena's eyes narrowed as she studied the door’s electronic pin-pad. It flashed from green to red. I should be able to reroute the circuitry and unlock it if I get the chance.

Her eyes shifted to Ventre. His composure was different. He was calmer and she could sense his confidence, but it was also overplayed. His green eyes were still appraising her as if she was some kind of pet that had just undergone medical treatment. She did not like this man and she definitely did not trust him.

Helena looked past him, again toward the door. It’ll be a problem if there are guards outside. Focus darting back to Ventre, she watched a wide smile split his lips.

“I must say, you're looking much better than when I last saw you."

Helena’s expression didn’t change as she worked through his statement. When did he last see me? Was it in the forest, in the black room, or when I was brought out of the room? Vision shifting to the electronic equipment, she noticed there weren’t any cameras. Do they not know about my receptive abilities? If they did, why house me in a room that’s unshielded? Since they haven’t protected the room, they might not know the specifics of my ability, yet the situation is starting with too many unknown factors. I need to get Ventre to divulge helpful information.

She found many powerful electromagnetic signals floating around her. Wi-Fi, I can use them instead of wasting Focus on expanding my personal static field. Ventre shouldn’t know if I’m using my ability, the equipment around me isn’t designed for brain activity.

Starting to actively examine her surroundings, the gray and yellow scratches started to appear in her mind’s eye, creating a real-time three-dimensional layout. It wasn’t as sharp as when she used her static field, but adequate for her needs.

More than two or three people moved beyond the room, passing the door, but there were no bioelectric or electrical signals standing outside. They don’t have anyone guarding the room, at least outside the door.

Still smiling, Ventre continued. "I know you are trying to work out the situation in your head, so let me make it easier on you."

Helena's brow furrowed as her head tilted slightly, eyes moving back to Ventre. Easing her mental calculations, she pursed her lips and waited for him to continue. Why make it easier on me, what’s his angle?

Straightening himself, Ventre took on an air of business. "If you tell me what you've deduced, I'll give you a full explanation of our intentions and expectations of you."

Throwing the blanket off herself, Helena swung her legs over the edge of the bed and sat at its side. Examining herself, she found gauze wrapped around her left arm and from what she could tell her bracelet hadn’t changed. They must have given me something or drawn my blood, maybe both. I’m not feeling any different, just a little groggy from oversleeping.

She also noticed she was wearing different clothing. Doing a quick note of her attire, she frowned at its flashy appearance. A tight pink sleeveless v-top that held a white cloth sewn into the front and tight faded pink pants that were made of course fabric with portions cut out. It’s almost like the cuts are designed for ease of movement. Do they expect me to do some kind of physical activity soon?

Her feet were covered with pink socks and surprisingly, yellow soft sole shoes. To finish the outfit, she had a white leather belt around her waist. Far too flashy for my tastes, at least in enemy territory; it’s also completely out of contrast, but I’ll have to deal with it.

Getting her mind back to the matter at hand, she tried to come up with his reasoning. If he’s going to tell me everything, he thinks I’ll willingly accept or have no choice, but to assent. He also wants all the knowledge I’ve accumulated from the event. He’s testing my deductive reasoning or maybe how much information Peter gave me, feasibly both. This could work out in my favor.

Helena's brow eased as she put on a light smile. "What do you want to know first?" Ventre didn’t answer as he looked above her, an assessing gleam evident in his eyes. What’s he looking at? She was unsettled with how his eyes reviewed her composure.

Hopping off the bed, she felt her legs almost buckle. Steadying herself, she walked toward the side desk and climbed onto the chair. Thoroughly inspecting herself in the mirror. Reflected, she found her medium smooth skin with a light pink scar across the left side of her neck, obtained through Drake’s training. Long thick golden hair that normally fell to her lower back, but now sat in a tightly knitted sock bun, held by a pink elastic strap. Green eyes, light brown eyebrows, pouty lips, and a small, straight, slightly rounded nose.

The only change to her normal appearance was the sock bun. Why’s my hair causing him such interest? She honestly didn’t mind the hairstyle. It would prevent her hair from waving everywhere if she had to run.

Ventre chuckled. "Me, no, the nurse has that kind of fetish." Helena didn’t understand his comment but kept silent. Clearing his throat he continued. "Getting down to business, I first want to know what you thought about the room incident."

She inspected the security of the sock bun with care. It’s well made, it won’t break easily. Helena thought about the entire situation fastidiously before answering. Glancing at Ventre from the mirror, she studied her surroundings. The room was very clean and clear, leaving no furniture. With the exception of the chair, she was sitting on, Ventre’s chair, the patent table, cabinets with a high counter, and a mirror screwed into the wall.

Taking a deep breath, she began to break down her thought process. "I think the main purpose behind the event was to test a number of individuals in the room. I know Peter and I were being examined, but I'm not so sure of either Tom or West.

“I believe Rean was meant as a sacrifice and was only being used for her utility, but had a slight possibility to become a candidate. However, she was completely taken out of the equation once infected by Tom, which was planned in the first place, but she could have surprised you. She also may have been an emotional break for West, for whatever reason. “The same goes for Tamie," Helena hesitated for a moment, "but I think her main purpose runs deeper than that."

Thinking back, Helena remembered Tamie's actions before she had lost consciousness. She went straight for my throat, an effective choice on her part. With that reaction, she had to be trained. She also recognized my presence in the pitch-black-room and must have been the one to take out West. It couldn’t have been Rean; she didn’t light a fire and lacks the physical strength to knock him out. It didn’t make sense at the time, but maybe…

Helena thought over the small number of actions Tamie had taken and a scene started to unfold in her clearing mind. Tamie stated that Tom said he had no ability. When in truth, he’d said absolutely nothing about abilities.

Making sure her passive electroreception was functioning; she fed it Focus for a deeper analysis of Ventre’s muscular reactions. Studying Ventre closely, she continued. "I believe the twins are the moles, which were meant to be found, but I believe Tamie was also planted. She, like the twins, was given false information, but only regarding Tom."

Helena felt a slight twitch in the impulses in his heart. She smiled to illustrate her confidence to Ventre, right on the head. This is a psychological game, how uncomfortable can I make him feel.

Ventre quickly regained what little composure he had lost and waited. Helena continued, slowly building her composure with more confidence. "On second thought, I think the people being tested in that room were Peter, Tom, and me. Tom had little promise but was put into the situation to provide a more versatile experiment, with little hope for success. However, even with such expectations, he was still being tested. I'm assuming the higher-ups weren’t happy with his—end, as his ability is quite useful."

Ventre's eyes didn't give him away, but he couldn't lie to her perception. Right again. "Peter had high potential and a very strong start. I’ll admit he had me concerned—at the start. Still, he broke near the end, which I doubt you calculated. He told me about your organization and that is why you want me to explain what I know."

Helena's grin widened as traces of sweat began to gather at Ventre's brow, but he kept his composure. He wants to know exactly what I learned, well, now’s the time to instill subliminal thoughts into his mind, which might also give me an opening to act. I could be reading him wrong, but I think he has an inferiority complex.

She examined her smooth cut fingernails. "There is something that I'm concerned about—and that’s how quickly your time release sedative took effect.”

“How so?” Ventre leaned backward and folded his arms, an expression of confusion across his face.

“The initial sedative wore off, but my physical exhaustion continued to worsen. Peter thought it was the stone’s effect, but I think we both know the true cause.” Will he take the information as harshly as I imagine? It might also give me an answer about the stones.

“I mean … Focus draining stones that also have a physical exhaustion affix … please. The stones may drain Focus—but we both know they don’t exhaust physical strength.” Her response came from his body’s two spikes, but his composure wavered with a forced smile. He likely didn’t expect me to say this much, now’s the time to drive an answer that will fester in his mind.

"I assume the physician that performed the drug administration had orders from higher up and you were given no information regarding the change in plans. You were overruled." She stopped examining her fingernails and smiled at the mirror, staring into Ventre’s eyes.

Ventre's eyebrows rose as he slowly rose to his feet with a heavy huff. "I first took you for a wolf, but I'm beginning to agree with Peter, you are quite the fox."

Helena giggled softly. He just heightened my suspicions and even told me there was someone of higher authority watching the incident. He’s playing right into my hands. It only makes sense there would be someone higher in authority overlooking this trial, I am a member of the main Vandred House.

Ventre started to turn away and rub the back of his neck. "I think you deduced a few things correctly, but...”

Helena silently, but quickly moved from her chair toward him. This is my chance. His back is turned; there are no cameras in the room and no guards outside the door. He could be an esper and this could be a trap, but it’s too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Helena placed a foot on Ventre’s chair and leaped toward him as he turned. Her small hand closed around his forehead and she sent an electrical charge through his brain. He crumpled backward with a heavy thump. She folded her legs as she landed to break the inertia, almost colliding with the wall. She had only produced enough electricity to knock him out. She needed to conserve her energy in case she needed it later.

Closing her eyes, Helena began to sort through the electromagnetic signals flying around her and zeroed in on the earth’s natural magnetic field. She could tell her current position to the door was north. Further analyzing field anomalies, she located her general location with shock. She confirmed she was near the high northeastern section of Elestveeve, near the tip. A little south should be New Genesis. She wasn’t able to pinpoint her exact geographical positioning through the shifts in the magnetic fields but was able to determine at least that much.

It must be freezing outside. It’ll be difficult to plan an effective escape on what little information I have, but at least I’m making progress. She couldn’t see a computer in the room, only standalone medical equipment. Probing the room’s electrical signals further, she found some kind of device on Ventre’s wrist.

Unfastening it, she examined its design. It was made of some kind of black metallic material that she wasn’t familiar with and it only had one button. I’ve never seen this kind of technology at the Vandred Estate, what is it? Closing her eyes, she explored the circuitry with her ability. It had more advanced hardware than what she was accustomed to but functioned fundamentally the same as a regular computer.

She took a moment to identify its processes. The operating system was slightly different from the Ocean X OS she was accustomed to, but it had consistencies. It might have even been a platform for its design. It took her a moment to map out root functions.

Bringing its sixty core processors out of idle, she told it to display its Graphical Unit Interface. Helena dropped the device as threading lights started to rotate around the bracelet and a projection of light emanated from its metallic surface to display a holographic interface. I knew holographic imaging was in development in Tech City but didn’t know they’d progressed this far. Slowly, she picked it up from the ground and studied the single image. Photons combined to show the username Ventre and a box that said, Password above it.

Helena tried to press the box to make it active. However, as her hand neared, the hologram became fuzzy and vanished. Moving her finger away, it reassembled itself. Helena huffed. Even if I’m retracting my static field to its minimum output, it’s still strong enough to scramble the photons. The technology’s probably touchy anyways. I’ll have to input commands manually through electric manipulation within the central processing units.

Helena began to experiment with the input, taking her twenty seconds to find the typing and selection commands. If she were to use the GUI it would have taken her minutes to bypass the User Lock, but the OS had hidden root holes and using her ability, she broke past the User Lock within seconds.

The GUI displayed a broader holographic image with icons placed across it. She first noticed the time. It’s exactly six o’clock in the evening in this time zone. It’ll soon be nighttime and the outside environment’s probably well below freezing.

It took her several seconds to find a map application and open it. The map displayed the Northern Qilvern Tundra with a bleep on the map showing her location. Helena let out a sigh. My previous calculation seems correct, nearly four thousand kilometers from the Estate. That isn’t even the main issue. I can’t go back to where I was raised until I figured out Drake’s intentions.

She hadn’t stepped a millimeter outside the Estate boundaries before and knew little about the surrounding area. I don’t have a plan in any case and I need to gather more information to make one.

She started the OS's search application and looked for the base and its floor designs. She found what she was scanning for, but her suspicions began to rise. She could zoom in on sectors, but she couldn't find specific floor designs and many rooms in the facility were labeled as under construction or unsafe to enter.

She noticed something even more bizarre about the hardware in the device. Why doesn’t it have Wi-Fi hardware? Why have Wi-Fi transmissions and not given your computers the capability to read them?

Another concerning detail was how it could pinpoint her direct location on a geographical scale, without access to mapping equipment through WITCH’s network. Unless—this device was planted for me to find and make decisions off of, but that would require Ventre to know I’d take it and try to escape … but how? And why would he willingly accept me attacking, potentially killing him? Is this another test, to see how far I can escape before capture? Did he really plan out my actions this early on or is this something set up from someone above Ventre?

Frowning, she set the device down and moved toward the counter. Finding zip ties in a drawer, she pulled out a handful. She didn’t know how far they plotted her actions, but it would do little good worrying about every step she took on only speculations. Drake once told her that if doubt occurs then formulate a test to deliberate a directional cause.

Helena pulled Vintre's hands behind his back and tied two zip ties around each wrist then tied one in-between the two restraints, pulling them as tight as she could manage. She did the same with his legs and then constrained his feet to his hands.

She found cotton in a bottle on the counter. Removing a few handfuls, she filled his mouth with them and wrapped his head with elastic straps she found in another drawer to hold the cotton in place.

He would be dehydrated when he awoke with all the cotton absorbing his saliva. It should make him more irritable and likely to make mistakes. At the very least it should buy her some time. She wasn't strong enough to move his body elsewhere, so this would have to do. She glanced around for any sharp objects he might be able to cut the zip ties with and was surprised to find very few items he could use.

Moving toward the door, she touched the electronic pin-pad and quickly mapped out the bypass. Backing away from the metal door, she pulled the computer back up and examined all the floor designs. It took her a minute to memorize and plan backup routes; her first stop should be a network room. However, the map didn’t display a single space designated for network functions. How stupid does Ventre think I am? He could have at least posted one and had men stationed to ambush me. All the same, I need to find a device that’s connected to WITCH’s network.

The only thing of interest was a supply bay that was under construction starting tomorrow. Helena shook her head in exasperation. I’ll go toward the cafeteria and say Ventre wants me to meet someone there if anyone stops me. If they want a more rounded explanation, I’ll start describing a general appearance of some staff’s attire. I could take a few side corridors to get there, but that would make me seem more suspicious, going through uncommon areas … at least the device indicated they were. Why would a map even say that?

The plan was sketchy and with many unknown variables, but it was the best she had. Making up her mind to stay in the main halls leading to the cafeteria, she looked around the room for some kind of carrying bag.

Opening the cabinet, she found a brown leather strap bag filled with papers written in Irean. Helena took a few of the papers and cotton balls off the counter. Placing them into the bag, she gathered more materials she thought she would need. Getting into the drawers with the zip-ties, she grabbed a handful and placed them into the container with a few of the wraps. She finally set the computer wrist device between the elastic straps and the cloth of the bag.

Moving toward the door, she extended the appropriate calculations and monitored the hallway, until no one was within her sensing radius. Bypassing the Pin code she opened the door and stepped into the bright steel paneled hallway, quickly shutting the door behind her. I just have to find something connected to a network.

8