B1 — 24. Mistake
149 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Helena set down her utensils as she finished her meal.  Klen hadn’t returned, most likely stuck in the facilities bathroom, cursing Belesis or changing his clothes.

Sighing with satisfaction, Belesis said.  “Don’t worry about cleaning up. I’ll have a waiter handle it, even if they are slow and probably spit in our food.”  Belesis ate a lot.  I guess that’s a requirement of being a Biokinetic.

“Continue your run … although, exercise after eating pulls blood away from your stomach to your muscles.  You most likely will experience abdominal pain and throw up.” I might throw up from the motion, but I doubt I’ll have cramps.  I won’t be exerting too much physical strength. It shouldn’t hamper me with my ability.

“Don’t worry about me.”  Helena smiled. “I’ll take it easy.”

Belesis hesitated for a moment before saying.  “I really like your dimples … even if I had to change your facial structure to produce them.”

Helena’s smile softened as she looked off into the jungle then back at Belesis.  “Don’t worry about it; I enjoy them, thank you.” Belesis blushed. Is she just shy?  Helena began to jog toward the trail before she had a chance to continue.

“I’ll time you again!”  Belesis yelled after her.  There’s really no purpose in timing my runs.  I suspect Kara just wanted me to meet Belesis and have her around in case something happens … was it also to affirm those pills?  With them it can be assumed that I’ll train quicker, but how would Kara know I wouldn’t take them? I guess she could have based it on my profile.

Helena ran for a few more minutes before her headache began to return.  They seem to be coming in shorter intervals, but the pills are helping me train a bit harder.  They don’t renew my Focus but lessen my brain’s natural defense, its way of telling me it’s tired.  So, as for Belesis’ earlier comment. Once my Focus reaches fifty percent, my brain should really start screaming at me … like in the Black Box.  I’ll need to ask Booker about those stones when I see him.

Taking out one of the capsules, she popped the purple pill into her mouth and started jogging again.  Belesis said only three pills at maximum, so this is it before I need to rest.

No more than five seconds after taking the pill, she heard white noise echo around her and a throbbing begin to surface in her brain.  Gasping, she lost control of the fields at her feet, sending her spiraling down. Skidding across the ground, she curled into a ball, clutching at her head as it pulsated.

What’s happening?  My head feels like it's splitting in two!  The pain was worse than the Black Box; she never experienced something to this magnitude, even Ventre’s torture.  Rolling around on the ground, she clawed at her skull. It’s like something’s trying to dig its way into my brain!  Food … pills … Klen … Belesis … Kara?  She was losing awareness, her eyes dimmed as the purple lights faded off and on.

 

* * *

 

Helena opened her eyes to blackness.  What’s going on?  Where am I?  The black environment seemed to melt away, like ink running down glass.  It opened to show a mass of color and then she was standing back at the Vandred Estate.

In stunned confusion, she looked around to find herself at the main entrance of the manor.  The large courtyard with its trimmed dark green grass, hedges, trees, groomed gardens, and finely chiseled statues of previous Heads were vividly clear.

The faint warm light of dusk shown across the hilltops and the hot dusk wind she remembered blew over her skin, gently moved her hair in swaying motions.  It carried the intoxicatingly sweet, citrus-based fragrance of the Tilia Tree Forest. The distant pearly white granite gates glowed in the orange light of twilight.

Drake was right in front of her, his blonde hair falling wildly around his head, unkempt as usual and his stunning deep green eyes gazed at her expectantly.  He was wearing slightly loose black silken pants, a slack white low v-cut long-sleeve shirt that had the sleeves rolled back to his elbow, and black hard sole dress shoes.  Around his neck and wrists sat the golden leaf designed necklace and bracelets he always wore. Glowing tan skin bristled between his white shirt front as he shifted his weight.

Why am I back with Drake?  Has WITCH been a fabrication of my own mind?  Helena looked down and squeezed her left hand together.  No, my body definitely remembers the shock of Ventre’s torture.

Helena jumped slightly; her heart compressing and she felt a bristle run down her spine as Drake spoke.  “Lin, what are you doing? We need to get back to father’s celebration.” That’s exactly Drake’s tone and speech pattern.  How can someone construct a perfect replica, even his style, and the way he holds his body ... it's flawless?

But father’s celebration … father never invited me to a gathering?  Head Rephenald’s statement … my father would never let me join a celebration without announcing my birth.  Then again … if that was all a fabrication … then again this could also be a fabrication. Why would a mental intruder be so careless if they put this much work into Drake?  Maybe this isn’t a mental intruder … then who … what?

Looking down again, she realized she was in a gown and not just any gown, the one Drake had shown her, mother’s dress when she was her age.  She felt a prickling escape over her skin as she gulped. Truly, what’s going on?

Her mother’s one piece blood red gown framed her upper body perfectly.  Wrapping around her chest and under her arms; flowing tightly down her form in sleek brilliance.  At the thighs, it flared outward into a skirt that ruffled lightly as she shifted uneasily. She wore short heels that seemed laced around her feet, but she couldn’t be sure of the color.

Checking the magnetic fields at her ears, she noted her earrings attached.  Around her hands were skin tight red gloves that were pulled back to her elbows and her ruby bracelet was clasped around her left wrist.  I can even feel my magnetic field and the earth’s natural field is in perfect balance with my position.  This is no ordinary illusion … if it is one … it’s so lucid … yet, it bugs me… Drake took her hand, snapping Helena out of her reverie.

“Lin, why do you look so shocked?  We’ve been planning this gathering for months.”  Months?

Blinking, Helena tried to catch hold of herself.  “It’s nothing. Let’s go.” I need to figure out which it is … if the last few days are the fabrication or this.  If someone is inside my mind … who are they? Why send me here? How did they get past my natural resistance to Telepathy … is this even Telepathy?  Perhaps they’re just that powerful of a Telepath...

Entering the manor with Drake at her side, the doorman announced them.  She recognized him, Relpo, the normal evening door attendant. Very elaborate if this is an illusion.

Helena critically examined the ballroom.  On the right wall gleamed the bronze inlaid arches that centered around the large ruffled dark brown curtained windows.  Clouded glass covered the bulbs of electric light, dimly illuminated the drapes and previous Head weaponry, mounted above the windows, framed by the arches.  I can even sense the electronic activity in the walls.  How could this possibly be an illusion or fabrication?

The high overhead ceiling was supported by large bowed mahogany beams that held intricate carvings of previous Head accomplishments.  Five gigantic chandeliers hung from the rafters, the center being the largest and each was comprised of different exquisite jewels.

The back left corner was still comprised of oval-cut alexandrite that had a blue-green color in fluorescent light but changed violet-purple in candlelight.  It currently cast a faint bluish-green hew across that side of the room.

The back right encompassed a faint strongly saturated dark blue tone as thousands of star sapphires shown their radiance below.

The front left side spread a glowing greenish-blue hue across the long splendorous mahogany platinum engraved refreshment tables from the trilliant-cut tourmaline.

To her right, the saturated orangish-pink medium toned oval mixed-cut padparadscha sapphires sparkled across the ground where the orchestra softly hummed.

The final and largest chandelier was comprised of magnificently brilliant red diamonds, scorching their glorious shreds of crimson light across the gleaming platinum lined mahogany dance floor.  Black marble surrounded the dance floor with multicolored gems that dotted around the flooring, showing images of past Vandred victories. Eight hundred years of history spread across the ground in vibrant sheens of refracted light from the overhead gemstones.

Mahogany tables surrounded the colossal entrance, dotting in patterns around the gathering areas.  Sheet thin translucent high-quality crystal stem glasses lined the tables with silverware and porcelain plates.

Old, white marble carvings that previous Main Family members crafted were displayed around the area on black granite, gold encrusted, platinum lined, glass cases.  Extravagant paintings of previous Heads and famous Vandred House members were displayed along the left wall.

Violins, Violas, Cellos, Basses, Flutes, Piccolo, and a grand piano played their melodies around the room.  She recognized a multitude of Branch House members directing as maids and butlers went about cleaning, serving, and accommodating anything that the guests might need.

The opposite wall to her held three great arches; two free hanging overhead balconies extended five meters on both sides.  In the center was placed a large black marble white diamond encrusted staircase that leads to the second level and further into the mansion.

Everything was perfect, exactly the way she remembered, but several things also seemed to be new.  New tables she’d never seen before and flower vases lined around the main hallway, which should have been replaced by containers, housing cut limes, lemons, and oranges.

She recognized every person around the room, including the serving host.  Almost all the important members of the prominent Great Houses were present, even Head Rephenald, which wore the exact attire she’d last seen him in.

Helena first recognized the Great House Hatter’s Head, Evangeline, in all her brilliance.  She had silky smooth skin; long silky silver hair that flowed down her back in locks. She had white close, thin, high-low eyebrows, almond profoundly deep blue irises that were even more abyssal than the star sapphires above, a straight nose, and thin lips.

Helena remembered that all women born under the pure lineage of Hatter had silvery hair.  Her long sleek dress matched her hair with shimmering intensity as it weaved slowly against her movements and pale gleaming skin.  A pure white top hat sat upon her head and the gigantic one hundred and eight-carat cornflower colored diamond ring sat upon her left ring finger, both signified her dominance over her House.

She was just less than two meters tall, elegantly proportioned and had a firm domineering posture for a woman, which had sparked the resolve for most female Nobles.  The Great House of Resilient Women, which always and only produced female Heads.

She was standing next to the Great Warbringer Head, Head Pathiose and his wife Lady Tezebeth, talking lowly.

Pathiose had smooth dark golden skin, thick slicked back black hair that shined dimly under the bluish crystalline light, thick low brows, and downturned eyes that had the same light blue hue as Rephenald.  His nose was a tad larger than it should be and his thin emotionless lips let nothing of his internal thoughts show.

He had a white full suit worn over a black undercoat and white undershirt.  His white tie, hung neatly down his front and polished white hard sole shoes shifted to lean down and kiss Evangeline’s ring.

Helena noted Tezebeth’s passive face, but her exotic dark brown eyes burned with jealousy as she and Evangeline curtsied to one another.  Drake told her that Tezebeth was envious of anything that took her husband’s attention, even their own children, but it was only a rumor among Nobles.

Tezebeth held onto Pathiose’s arm as they made their way to the refreshments table.  Her night-black dress shifting as it accentuated her thin body. Tezebeth was a beautiful woman, but she was too curved for her skinny frame.  She had a diamond facial shape, smooth blemishless skin, thick straight raven-black hair with bangs that covered her forehead, high arched thin eyebrows, outlandishly large and curved eyes, small straight nose, and rounded rosy lips.  She was the only Noble with exotic brown irises.

She used no makeup, which Nobility rarely touched since long-term use damaged the skin.  However, she had too much jewelry; making her tinkle with the rock’s movements. Her heels also made too much noise as she walked.

At the refreshments table sat the Head of the Great Golitin House, Plotis.  Bronze shimmering skin, sandy blond hair, short thick eyebrows, blue eyes, snub nose, and duck lips.  He was an overweight man that enjoyed his girth just as much as eating; it seemed his wife wasn’t with him.  Of course, I’ve never seen the woman, so of course, she isn’t here.  With every passing second, this illusion shows more of its fractures.

Plotis’ massive body was covered by a mass of clothing more suitable for the Palma Islands than a dinner party.  Strips of brightly colored clothing stretched across his body and wooden piercings covered odd places, like his arms and lips.  If WITCH owns the Palma Islands or is at war with the islands across the southern seas, I assume Plotis is also a part of the WITCH project.

Rephenald was sitting at a table by himself.  He was occasionally checking his watch with a bored expression.  Her eyes shifted to the dance floor as the music picked up and she found the Head of the Great Olisqu Family, Winton.  He was dancing with his wife, Lady Heidi.

Winton was a small elderly man with a slight keg belly.  He had a square face, lightly tanned skin, gray hair, low, small eyebrows, faint blue wide-set eyes, large nose, and thin lips.

Heidi was a head taller than her husband and had a big boned body, but she was light on her feet.  She had medium toned skin, thin black hair, slender high arched eyebrows, a fitting straight nose, and bow-shaped lips.

Their matching blue uniforms told Helena that they recently visiting Augnecia and met with the Head Priests at the Ulteviph Monastery.  The only video I’ve seen of them is in that attire … could this be any more obvious?

Duke Ryker, Evangeline’s husband, entered by the granite stairs, most likely returning from the washroom.  His dark black hair hanging down his back in locks, his masculine face held a soft gleam as his wife came into sight.  However, Evangeline’s hard frigid eyes didn’t change as she began talking with him.

His face was lit with excitement as his black high arched thick eyebrows danced with his expression.  His dark blue eyes were transfixed on his wife’s as his thin lips moved, but Helena couldn’t hear the conversation.  He had a straight nose and fair skin.

The door opened behind Helena to show the Great House Emeldra’s Head, Yogini.  She had long black hair billowed backward as the sealed house’s air pressure escaped behind her, high black eyebrows, a fire burned in her green almond eyes, her upturned nose small nostrils flared, and her full lips were curved with fury.

Her blue satin gown flowed around her hourglass frame as she swept into the room and moved right past her without even a greeting, Relpo awkwardly announced her.  An unusual discourtesy for a Noble entering another’s domain, even if I am only the second heir … what am I getting upset about ... this isn’t even real and she doesn’t even know who I am.

She stormed toward Drake, who was mingling at the back of the room, talking with the Hatters.  Of course, this entire situation is fabricated.  My parents would never allow me to be a part of a social gathering.  I expected more from you, intruder. Perhaps you’ve been rummaging around older memories of mine, while also trying to put together this little charade.

Helena’s vision darted around the room as she searched for something more obvious than the rest.  A blonde girl in her mid to late teens walked up to Helena.  “Are you alright, my Lady?”

The entire room froze as a dark and ominous voice laughed behind her.  Helena narrowed her eyes and calmly turned to find only the open oaken doors as a slight breeze entered the house.  The moon was ascending into the sky as the sun disappeared behind the mountainous terrain beyond, the sweet-scented forest wafting in from the courtyard.  Is hiding a hobby of yours, intruder?

“So, this is Kara’s little pet project.”  The voice mused.

Who are you and how did you get into my mind?  Also, what do you expect to get from this vision?

“We haven’t met before, so telling you would make little difference.  Oh … what’s this … it seems you have heard of me and a few times at that, interesting.  Even thought of joining my faction. You actually have quite the treasure trove of information in this head of yours—as expected of a Noble.”

Obviously, you can read my mind, but how?  If I intended to join your faction … you must be Phantasm.   Helena watched Kara appear at a table, examining the room with interest.  That’s not my memory of Kara; she’s a few years younger.  It must be yours; you’re losing hold of your control.

“You pick up on minute details, don’t you little … what’s your handle … Vix.  Kara calls you Vixy, how cute … she always did have a little childish side to her.”

You seem to know Kara quite well, Phantasm.  If you can read my thoughts and put on this grand of a show then you’re an extremely powerful esper.  A Telepath or something else completely? Maybe I’m hypnotized right now and you’re making me think I’m speaking in my mind.

“An interesting theory, not one I’d imagine, but I’ve been in this game a tad longer.”  He chuckled. “I can truly see the potential and why Kara did such a good job at keeping you hidden, but it seems one of you slipped.”

Game … and one of us slipped?  So Kara’s somehow been protecting me from you … from this intrusive attack...  The voice was silent for a moment as Helena thought.  I knew one of you Primes would try to contact me.  I just didn’t expect it in … this fashion. The answer suddenly snapped into her mind, something that she’d failed to accomplish in Kara’s instructions, such a simple task.  The HCID, that specific magnetic signature that Kara puts off … that was keeping you away and I was mindless enough to leave it behind.

If that device’s keeping you away, then their ability has something to do with the EM spectrum or has a weakness to it.  Why didn’t I sense your intrusion? No … I did. That white noise and the pain to my mind. Do you use radio waves as a catalyst or is that noise some kind of effect of being an Electro Master?  Is this some kind of brainwave synchronization?

“Hoh—my, my … well, aren’t you the brilliant one.  I’m truly impressed, which makes my gift to you well deserved.  I’m not easily impressed, Victoria.”

A shiver ran down Helena’s spine.  Don’t use my middle name!  All she got was a chuckle.  You obviously have ulterior motives for synchronizing with my brain.  It has something to do with this environment. You’re using this painted scene as a mask to cover your real digging, but it must be related to everything here.  It’s subtle and has a different purpose than this gathering, but you’re apparently burrowing through my mind for more than one thing.

The ghostly visage in her mind suddenly sounded confused and alarmed.  “Most impressive—but what’s this abnormal drain to my Focus?” He started to sound excited.  “I never imagined there was a person like you in this world … I’ll keep a close eye on you, Vix—most remarkable.”

A depressed sigh sounded all around her in an echoing cacophony.  “However, it seems we’ve run out of time, but I’ve gained what I needed.  It’s been my most honored pleasure to have this little chat. You should be thanking me.  I had to fix the repressed trauma you were bottling up from Ventre’s little game to get the information I needed.”  Bottled up trauma?

“Your little slight spells of thoughtlessness.  You didn’t think they were a fluke? You did.” He cackled.  “As a final farewell, give Kara my regards. Tell her that Phantasm is amorously awaiting our next little get-to-gather and I’ve almost completed the list with just picking your brain.”

Helena felt a dark sensation sweep her mind.  Phantasm, the Purple color’s Prime...

A wave of pain seized her brain as something carved its way out of her skull.  Her vision went blank and slowly the pain subsided to the blurry vision of Belesis.  “Wretch! I brought the device like you said, when will you be—Oh—she’s waking up. I hope her brain is still intact.    Lady Vandred! Are you alright?” Belesis asked with true concern. “You don’t have amnesia … brain damage … maybe possessed?  The tigress said that was a possibility.”

“No—I think—I’m alright,” Helena said dizzily as she massaged her forehead, it housed a killer migraine.  Her vision fell across her arm and she found red marks from the hard gravel road. How long have I been out?

“Let me fix those.  They mare your … body … that I helped rebuild … against your will.”  Belesis said uneasily. Helena saw the red marks on her arms start to disappear back into blemishless skin as the rubble fell to land on the dirt.  She really is handy with her ability.

“How long...”  Helena began to ask while working around her dry tongue.

“When you didn’t arrive at the meeting point in exactly twenty-eight minutes and thirty-nine seconds as logic would’ve predicted, I thought a Quilvern attacked you and rushed all over the jungle looking for you … and I found you lying on the ground … I thought you’d been killed by another contestant, I was so frightened.

“Then I frantically called the weasel and she angrily told me to:  “Shut up and quickly jump down to my old room and grab the HCID. Bring it to her.”  So that’s what I did in under forty-two seconds … my heels hurt.”

Helena glanced down at her feet to find Belesis’ heels no longer there and gashes were evident on her feet that now started healing.  The tears in her flesh slowly knitted together to pink skin and soon resembled its natural state. Was she really that worried about me?

“The tigress should be coming to meet you.  She said to go back to the room and wait … I think she’s going to yell at you.”

Shaking her head violently to clear her head, her blonde hair whipped around her face.  After, she nodded in acknowledgment. Is there a pattern to what she calls Kara, something to do with action?  “I think I’ll be fine on my own.  Thank you for your concern, Belesis.”

Belesis blushed.  “You’re the first person that has thanked me so often in a single day and you’re even a Noble … I feel unworthy of praise from a Lady.”

Helena frowned.  “What you’ve done for me is well worth praise.  I’ll say it as many times as necessary, thank you.”

Belesis’ face turned bright red and before Helena could react, she leaped up into a nearby tree.  Placing her feet against its sturdy trunk and leaped over fifteen meters into the air as she flew into the forest.  The tree bowed backward as the trunk snapped, but didn’t fall.

Helena looked around with confusion and found two more broken trees lying across the path, indentations in their trucks.  She really had been in a hurry and was she just embarrassed from my words now?  She seems to take things very seriously.

Lifting from her position, she worked around her shoulders.  Glancing down, she spotted the HCID. It was off, but still producing that strange magnetic field.  Picking it off the ground, she clasped it to her wrist without her bracelet and began making her way to her room.   I deserve to be screamed at.  I disobeyed Kara’s orders and by all means, she outranks me.  I really am no different than a servant now... She’s much more knowledgeable about the people in WITCH.  Did Phantasm really fix me? From what I understand, he ordered Ventre to torture me … piecing it together, it did trigger Kara … my trauma was a tool he used to get to Kara … I was a tool...

6