The Night Skirmish
111 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   In a tent there was a table with four men surrounding it sitting on chairs. All four had steel breastplate with a gambeson coat underneath; their legs and arms covered by steel graves and gauntlets supported with more gambeson padding. Only one stood out and that was a man who had a purple neckerchief. With his lizard tail that was muscular but narrow and long, his ears that resembled an elf's. It was none other than Drago (dra-go). His tail was fully armored by overlapping steel plates with gambeson padding underneath. The armor extended slightly past his tail and ended in a mace head with spikes.

Drago: We must find ourselves a way to purge ourselves of this problem. They are ruining my project before it even gets it's own foot off the ground!

??? 1: Sire, while I concur this is more than just your project but also the future of the house we are speaking of. Please put your project aside for now.

Drago: My project to achieve near perfection is the future of the house Tate.

Tate: Agree to disagree.

??? 2: Save the political babble for elsewhere. We have digressed from the main issue and that is to deal with the enemy before us.

Drago: Yes, we must get rid of them immediately!

Tate: Any ideas?

??? 3: Yes, let us change the formation of the caravan.

Drago: Change it how exactly?

_________________________________

--A few hours later--

??? 4: Go, inform the others they are changing formation. It appears they have arranged themselves into a wedge.

??? 5: Aye. *mounting his vencar he swiftly makes leave*

_________________________________

--Later that night--

   The caravan faced no issues during the day but now? Now it was nightfall the sky and land were painted a black color mixed with shades of blue. As the caravan rested they once more changed their formation.

Drago: Keep the light down you will ruin the eyes of the Felia (Fee-lia) and mine as well.

??? 6: Yes sire!

   As Drago looked out across the caravan he could see as if it were day. The caravan had rearranged themselves into a formation of five rows and three columns with the last four sticking out almost as if they were a handle to a tool from the middle. A tempting target.

_________________________________

   In the distance eyes watched the caravan moving from front to rear.

??? 5: Boss, do you think we can raid them this night or should we wait still?

Boss: Hold on let me go through the scenarios in my head. Patience is a virtue even for us.

After a while of running simulations the boss of the bandits spoke.

Boss: Let us face them this night. However, avoid the last four they are a bit too tempting.

   The bandits mounted on their vencar and approached as softly as they could before hastening their pace into a slow jog. A slow jog turned into a full jog than outright running towards the caravan.

_________________________________

   The Felia with their eyes could see the vencar mounted bandits charging their way and alerted the others to prepare. As the charging bandits reached three-fourths of the way to the caravan gaps between the wagons filled with soldiers wearing breastplate and gambeson. With spear and shield in their hands they formed a wall with spikes pointing outwards.

As the vencar began reaching the wall they slowed themselves down and than halted. After all they maybe lizards but they are not dumb and just like horses they have a desire to live. As do their riders. Perhaps if they were rhinos or elephants the line may have faltered before the bandits but such a thing is no where in sight.

   As the bandits paced back and forth they could find no fault in the line.

Boss: Crossbows! Where are those guys get out their crossbows and fire!

Perhaps in a twist of irony as the boss called for their own crossbows more men came out to take their positions behind the wall of spears and began shooting.

   A bolt came flying out behind such a wall of shields and spears into the face of a bandit near the boss. However, the bolt was not a direct hit and it merely shaved the cheek off of the bandit's face. He screamed in agony at the sudden sensation and horror. The broadhead bolt did not completely cut off his cheek leaving a chunk of it hanging on as blood poured.

   The bandits returned the fire with their own into the wall and behind.

Boss: Go! To the front there won't be as many men able to face and fire upon us.

As the bandits moved under fire and reached the front they were faced by men already at the ready and waiting. But it was true  there were not as many men able to face them.

   As men fell on both sides the line of spears began to falter and broke. They started running and a couple of the bandits took their vencar and ran inwards.

Boss: Wait! They broke too easily!

However, their boss called out to them too little too late for they were made into pin cushions when the men they chased reformed. The bandits were pierced by bolts not only from the front but also by their sides. Their gambeson did little to protect against the broadhead bolts they were cut into pieces and had their throats torn.

Boss: Retreat! Let us retreat for now!

As they ran off the boss looked over their shoulders to see a figure standing on top of a carriage in the middle. How long were they there? Perhaps the commander of the guard forces? It mattered not anymore. The score was even for now but the boss had no intention of just leaving it be.

_________________________________

Drago: That was relaxing; the score is even now but let us not keep it that way. *climbing down from a carriage*

??? 3: Sire, it will not stay even they are bandits not soldiers.

Tate: On the contrary they have a leader with a good head on their shoulders.

??? 2: Good head or not is beyond the point; there is only so much one can do without the backing of quality troops.

Drago: True.

Tate: That aside please don't put yourself in an exposed position.  We still need to change you back for when lady Maria arrives.

Drago: Aw yes Maria... well before she arrives with lord uncle we need to find a spot to settle and the bandits are in our way.

   As Drago stated this his hands clenched into fist and slightly shook from anger but went unnoticed by the others near by.

Drago: Aireal (Air-e-al) and Midnight come here.

Aireal & Midnight: Aye.

Drago: I shall take my leave for now.

   Aireal and Midnight stripped off his metal armor starting with the graves and gauntlets. Than his tail armor and breastplate.  The gambeson stayed on as they walked off to the direction of a white carriage with red trims.

1