Chapter 7: Full mobility
572 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Atin had managed to stay awake for 84 hours straight before passing out, he had forgotten to eat or drink anything while working on the arm he would make for himself, designing, building, testing, fitting, re-fitting and then smashing his creation in a rage. he had spent hours going through different concepts but when they were complete all would feel like something was off, like he had measured something incorrectly or used an incompatible part, even the arm he was using right now felt like it belonged to someone else. According to floaty the cybernetic arm he currently had is the most successful of his attempts, having the correct weight, length, axis of movement and grip strength it should have in proportion to the size and shape of his body. Atin had promised himself that he wouldn't work on his legs until he'd perfected the arm but he quickly regretted that promise after looking around himself and seeing the mass of smashed and broken parts around him, he decided that a nice idea for a break would be outlining the design for his legs, "I'm just outlining the design, I won't go any further than that, then ill get back to the arm." this was the last thought he had before passing out.

An hour after atin had woken up, he was already finished with the next version of his arm and inspecting it before he would hand it over to floaty for a compatibility rating. This had become a routine between the 2 with floaty entering every few hours to do the check, Miilo would occasionally pop in to silently watch him work and drop off rations only to begrudgingly leave after being called to her next lesson with floaty. Sparky would drop by between salvaging runs and the construction projects he had instructed the droid to start, partly to try and start fights but mostly to see what was happening to his precious collection, the droid would always start silently sparking when he saw the latest of his beauties stripped for the tiniest component, then discarded into a pile of its brethren. Atin had Instructed Sparky to build numerous strange traps, both lethal and designed to trap, sparky was livid at the thought of following his instructions until he came back one day, humming a jolly tune with an entire trolly of valuable salvage trailing behind him. One of the traps had been set off and an unlucky scrapper had found himself at the mercy of the war droid, this had put sparky in a great mood as not only could he replenish his stock, he could relieve all the pent up frustration he had built up being at the beck and call of Atin. During one of their exchanges, atin asked floaty if he had any knowledge in regards to humans extending the time they could stay awake and anything regarding improving memory recollection, he had already asked the droid for everything in regards to engineering, now he wondered what other lessons the droid had for the learning helmet in his possession. this resulted in the droid recommending several lesson cartridges related to human psychology, ancient and modern religions that practised meditation, and a large sum of cartridges related to cloning.

"I don't need anything you have in regards to cloning, as a matter of fact, I would like it if you stopped trying to push the concept on me" Atin spoke to the droid, an unintentional trace of venom in his voice,

"But young master, knowledge about cloning the human brain could prove usef-"

"STOP." Atin interrupted the droid before it could continue, "I won't have anything to do with something that produces those pitiful slaves fighting aimlessly for the republic." Like most Mandalorians, he wasn't exactly happy about the republic's clone army, thoughts of how they claimed the army was cloned from a Fett, one of the oldest clans in Mandalorian culture, thoughts of the republic using the legacy of Mandalore to keep dissenting planets under their heel, all the while using peace as an excuse, these thoughts entered his mind and lit a burning rage in his chest. In truth, it was a mix of rage and pride, pride in the fact that Mandalore's reputation was great enough to instil such fear, but rage at the fact an outsider was using it for whatever they wanted.

"Here's why you can't exterminate us, aruetii (Outsider). We're not huddled in one place—we span the galaxy. We need no lords or leaders—so you can't destroy our command. We can live without technology—so we can fight with our bare hands. We have no species or bloodline—so we can rebuild our ranks with others who want to join us. We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we certainly can kill you." Thinking of the words said by Mandalore the destroyer, Atin wondered what she would think if she saw how an outsider took advantage of the very idea of Mandalore, using it to expand and secure their own power. Although he had rejected the very idea of cloning, atin took full advantage of the kaminoan learning helmets, dedicating at least 5 hours a day to absorb as much knowledge as he could. During his first session, he had learnt about something called a 'mind palace', a mental exercise practised by ancient humans to organise their memories, he used this to help him organise the jumbled mess that was his mind.

Aside from recollections of vague dreams, Atin found that his memories were clear and he was able to perfectly recall any moment in his life with perfect accuracy. The strange thing was the other scenes cluttering his mind, they weren't memories per se' nor were they dreams, they felt like a combination of the two, some more of an instinct than anything resembling a memory. They felt foreign but at the same time, they were an undeniable part of him, trying to understand these had become the main goal of his meditation sessions and he'd spend hours immersing himself in them, he found that a majority of them were lessons, lessons about survival, Lessons about fighting and the most numerous were the lessons teaching him how to kill. The more he absorbed these the less he feared facing Grievous, a feeling he found all too addictive.

His days continued like this for 3 weeks, during that time hed completed building his cybernetic limbs and sparky had completed construction on most of his requested traps. In addition to his lessons on the learning helmet, tweaking his cybernetic limbs and meditation he had added a strict training regimen to his daily routine and only slept when absolutely necessary for fear of what he saw when he closed his eyes. whenever he drifted off into sleep he would be met with the same dream, he'd recall his encounter with Grievous in excruciating detail, the sense of helplessness he felt as he lost his limbs one after another would wake him up in a cold sweat and remind him how weak he really was. these nightmares would leave him feeling an indescribable fear when he woke up, his hands would keep shaking as he tried to calm himself with meditation exercises only for the feeling of fear to be replaced with rage, a rage that would linger in his mind for hours after he'd woken up.

Atin now stood with a breath mask strapped to his face, holding the gas canister with his new cybernetic arm while facing the massive doors that led to the cargo hold as the remains of The modified J-type had been stored there. like most of the dreadnaught, the cargo bay was subject to the toxic atmosphere of Raxus Prime, the life support systems and any power, other than what allowed the door to operate was missing from the cargo bay and the droids had stored the ship here for fear of Miilo stumbling across what remained of the bloodstained cockpit. he was finally able to move well enough to fully assess ships damage and explore the rest of the dreadnaught without the fear of hurting himself.

15