Chapter 8: New missions
531 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On-board a providence-class carrier orbiting Rhen Var

Cydon Prax Knelt before Count Dooku, He had replaced Jango Fett as the count's personal bodyguard, and it was now time to prove himself to his new employer. "To spite Obi-Wan and young Skywalkers efforts we have delivered a crushing defeat to the republic on Rhen Var, the Jedi council is still ignorant of our true intentions and now would be the best time to further our goals, Go to Raxus Prime, locate the force harvester," Giving cydon a datapad containing a set of co-ordinates Dooku continues, "these coordinates will take you to a network of caves that lead to it, this assignment will serve as a test of sorts for you, do not fail me."

In truth, Cydon Prax had taken this job only because it meant replacing Jango Fett, Succeeding where he failed would boost his reputation as a mercenary and open doors that would allow him access to much easier higher-paying jobs. Working for the Sith lord was only a means to an end for him and digging through a trash planet was a small price to pay for gaining Dooku's trust. After being dismissed, Cydon prepared his things and headed off to Raxus Prime.

 Coruscant - Jedi temple

Anikin and Obi-wan had just left the Jedi council chamber after reporting on the Evacuation of Rhen Var when Padmé Amidala approached them. Padmé had bags under her eyes and wore a guilty look on her face as she spoke to the duo, "I've finally found you two, I have an urgent message for Obi-wan." Anikin didn't fail to notice the state Padmé was in but held himself from inquiring about it, Luckily for him, Obi-Wan had also picked it up and asked about it instead,

"Oh my Padmé, you look terrible. what kind of trouble could cause you to look this flustered?"

Padmé answers, "Its all my fault, I was the one who convinced Satine to let him go and now he's most likely dead." Padmé was visibly panicking at this point but obi wan spoke up anyway.

"Wait, did you just say Satine? What happened? tell me everything." Obi-wan's full attention was now on Padmé as he probed the young senator.

"It's better if you hear it from her." Padmé answered and handed obi wan a datapad, "the information for a secure channel is on that datapad, she's waiting for your call."

Taking the datapad and then turning to look at Anakin he said jokingly, "make sure the senator gets home without being assassinated will you, the council will give us our new assignment later today, meet me back here after 4 hours."

"yes master, hopefully, the next one won't end so badly" Aniken replied, his bored tone betraying the joy he felt at getting any private time with Padmé.

Watching his padawan and the young senator interact while leaving reminded Obi-wan of the time he spent with the woman he was about to call, Satine Kryze, the only woman he'd ever had feelings for. A whirlwind of emotion assaulted him as images of her face surfaced in his mind, making him recall all the emotions he'd felt on that journey, the temptation to forsake the Jedi order that had plagued him and the bittersweet ending that came when they had to inevitably part ways. Using his Jedi training, obi-wan tried to calm his mind but it was of no use, forcing himself to think about something else instead, he started going through the list of younglings master Yoda had given him. Obi-wan had put in a padawan request, but it wasn't for himself, the new padawan would be for Anikin, during his travels with the young man he had noticed the difficulty Anakin had when it came to letting go of things and having to let your padawan experience danger would provide him with the opportunity for a valuable lesson.

Obi-wan entered the empty communications room and turned on the holoprojector, the face of Dutchess Satine burst to life in front of him as he stood in the dimly lit room. "As beautiful as ever" the phrase couldn't help escape his lips as he set eyes on the woman displayed on the holoprojector, "I wonder what circumstances would need the dutchess of Mandalore to speak to me on a private channel." silence filled the room as Obi-wan stood waiting for a response from her.

"I've lied to you obi-wan" Satine spoke, breaking the silence with a statement he found strange.

"Lied about what?" obi-wan replied, patiently waiting for a response, another few seconds passed before she spoke again,

"you have a son, Obi-wan." Obi-wan stood with his mouth agape for a while before Satine tried speaking again, "you see i-" the lump in her throat winning against her poker face, Satine started breaking down in tears, "I ke-hic I kept him away from you and now he's in danger-"

Obi-wan interrupts, oblivious to the fact that she was crying." Why didn't you tell me! I would have left the order had I kno-"

"That's Exactly Why!" Satine Screams, "of course you would have left the order if id told you! but I couldn't be the reason you broke your vows, WE couldn't. those who break their vows are worse than scum. And I won't have my child raised by scum." Satine's Mandolorian upbringing caused her to unintentionally lace the last part of her sentence with a venomous tone.

"So it wasn't a dream then" Obi-wan muttered to himself before lifting his head and looking at the dutchess "Well talk more about this later, but for now tell me about the danger he's in."

"yes, we will." After that outburst Satine had stopped crying, putting on her usual politician facade she continued, " just under a month ago he set off on a trip to Cantobite on Padme's ship, but we lost communications during the flight and I was unable to track the ship until recently when we received an emergency beacon from it, the beacon only lasted an instant but we were able to track his location to Raxus Prime."

Obi-wan answers, "Couldn't you have sent one of your protectors to retrieve him?"

"Due to certain circumstances, his existence was kept mostly secret, and I fear that someone who knows about him is responsible for this. You're the only one I can trust, Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Obi-wan walked onto the observation deck with his mind in chaos until master Yoda grabbed his attention," Greetings Obi-wan, here to evaluate the younglings you are, yes?"

Snapping out of his stupor he replies, "yes master Yoda, if I recall correctly you said you felt Padwan Tano to be a perfect fit for Anakin, which one is she?"

looking down at the younglings in the training hall Yoda gestures with his staff, " The one you seek she is, talented in the force, but clouded her mind with arrogance her talent has. a perfect padawan for young skywalker yes?"

watching Ahsoka backflip over her opponent and hold a training sabre to his neck with a cheeky smile, Obi-wan replies, "quite so."

"Turmoil in your mind I sense, taken a toll on the Jedi the war has, many have lost inner balance, yes."

"It's not that Master Yoda, well yes the war has put us in an awkward position, but its other matters that concern me."

"Know what bothers you I do not, but distract you on your next mission it might, to Raxus Prime we intend to send you and skywalker, a dangerous place to be distracted yes?"

Staring at Yoda wide-eyed Obi-wan replies, "matters concerning Raxus Prime are precisely what put my mind in turmoil master, but what there would warrant the presence of a Jedi?"

"Details you will receive later, for now, meditate on what distracts you, you should" 

13