Chapter 1 Part 3 (Updated)
100 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I was born in the outskirts of the capital...but I guess compared to other nations it wasn’t that much of a capital.”  I still disliked that place more than ever. “My father was a well-known mage and adventurer he once was a part of the Guild DawnBringers.” Mika’s eyes turned up a bit, it was not noticeable without being used to people’s eyes fixated on you not for the fact of admiration but disgust. “Basically, what you would expect from a guy who once was a part of the DawnBringers that his son would also be a mage and might be pretty good. Heh, I wish...” Unaware I look at the pale grey sky as my black hair covered these dead eyes of mine. “I wish it was that easy, that I could have been a mage my parents and peers would acknowledge, yet I can’t...” I clenched my hands tightly remembering those eyes and looks.

“I want to get stronger to find the people who ridiculed my family and shatter them into pieces.” Mika stood up with a fiery resolve. “Say, what is your reason for enrolling here, Kan?”

“That is...to be acknowledged and let everyone know that I can become a great mage. That I can also become what I want.” “Is that really how you want to say it?” Mika asked as a swirl of mana particles created a circle of what seems to be a barrier. “This is a soundproof barrier. Now, is that how you want to say your resolve?” She looked at me...it was a different sight, not a pitiful one nor a disgust one.

I paused for a minute before mustering up the courage, my heart spoke for once in a long time.

“I can also be a mage! A great mage! I don’t care about your worthless opinions! Because I will be the best mage ever...!” Surging forth with these unspeakable emotions I have cooped up; I shouted all these baseless remarks that later on will be put to test.

“How about you, Mika? It would be embarrassing if I’m the only one that did that, hehe.” Stuffing her face with the sandwich she walked at the center and took a deep breath.

“To all of you idiots, you’re all dead to me! I am proud to be the daughter of Leous and Kiria Torri. I’ll get stronger and give you a living hell as compensation! Hahahaha!”

“Jeez, what’s wrong with you Mika, hahaha!?” Before I knew it, we were laughing without a care in the world.

How do I explain these feelings? These might have also been the first time I had come to laugh with another person genuinely before.

After we both calmed down, she dispersed the soundproof barrier and excitedly ask, “Hey, want to practice every day? I can teach you what I know and in return help me further improve my mana pool. I know that you’re a bookworm. Not a bad deal, right? Oh, and here’s the---” “It’s fine you can keep the money, I was just joking yesterday.” She seemed energetic suddenly, it’s not a bad sight to see her be this happy, radiating a big smile.

“Seriously, you’ve done more than enough...more than what I could thank for.” I muttered as though she cannot hear it.

“Thanks, Mika my impression of you has changed drastically.” I genuinely smiled.

“O-ok then...” Her face was a bit red before she averted her gaze. “Hey, Kan!” A familiar voice came running to us. The sun has already ascended gleaming along that bright light I knew that the person is a "he” but why does his smile make everyone's day damn better?

“Yo, Shinra! I’m surprised you knew what I meant when I said withered tree.”

“Hmmph, it is Shi! I have walked here before so I know this place.”

I hastily introduced Shinra to Mika and both of them had seen each other at times and so my school life is finally beginning and even if it is just a tiny, small step towards becoming a great mage it is still something. 

The noise in my mind calmed down after talking to Mika. ‘I’m glad she’s my... friend.’

“Why are you looking at me like that.” Mika stared at me faintly blushing twirling the ends of her hair.

“I never knew you had eyes like that, Kan” Shinra softly remarked giving a feminine expression.

“E-ehh?” I blurted out unexperienced in this kind of situation.

 

Practicing for a while and getting to know each other, we had to get back to our rooms and get changed to uniforms before we head onto the class.

Rummaging through my stuff a thought popped into my head, ‘I guess I have... two friends now, here in Tempest.’  I was grinning like an idiot. “I’m happy I’m not alone anymore.”

I walked outside the dorm and found Shinra and Mika waiting for me.

“You did not have to wait for me.” Meeting friends and then walking to school together, it’s not every day I get to experience it.

“But we did and there’s no more complaining we’re going to be late.” Mika added as we walked across the campus.

“Yes, my princess. Aaarghh..!” Mika quickly hit my back jolting my body altogether. “Don’t call me that... mmph!” Eh, why is she making a cute face? Did I even win?

“Ohh, so you were a princess, Mika? You do look like it, you’re very pretty and have that aura around you, aryaaa that hurt.” Shinra was not exempted and got chopped at the head.

“Hmmph, stop teasing me.” And now she’s pouting.

“Ehh, but it’s true that you are pretty and princess like, right Kan?” Why did Shinra even rope me into this? Still, they are waiting for my answer...

“Ummm, I guess you are a pretty princess, Mika.” Now I said it.

“Th-thanks...” Ehhh, you will not resort to violence? I was quick to let my guard down until she once again slapped my back out of embarrassment.

We leisurely took our time walking. Nevertheless, the day was just getting started, yet many things have already happened. At least my thoughts have calmed down. Walking down the campus there were an unusual number of students who were slightly glancing... greatly glancing at us? I took a peek at Mika and Shinra, apparently Shinra is a well-known student.

“Eh, who is that nobody that is walking along with Mika Torri and Shinra Mavirus?” Shots of hateful remarks bombarded my ears. Scornful looks and disgust everywhere wherever I look. ‘I am used to this, but it is still hurtful whenever I hear it at firsthand.’ I let out a deep sigh. 

“Mmmph...”

“Don’t mind them...” Mika said as Shinra let out a pouty face. “I’m also talking to you...” As if Mika realized I was not listening to her.

After a series of people recognizing the two of them, we eventually reached the main hall and parted ways with Shinra.

“Where do you usually go when it’s lunchtime?” Shinra asked.

“At the withered tree.” Mika and I both responded. Shinra happily nodded and dashed through his class. “Shall we get to class?” “Of course, we’re gonna be late y’know?” We then reached the class and people were murmuring around the classroom, the teacher is not here yet it seems.

I didn’t mind their whispers and instead I sat beside Mika when suddenly someone sprung up to my side. “Hey, hey, are you two dating?” Everyone stopped murmuring as if this is what they were all whispering about. “We’re not dating, right Mik---a?” I glanced at her, and I could already tell she’s embarrassed with that bright red face. “Y---ye—yes...”  She kept looking down and pulling her frilly skirt down. ‘Stop making that face... my face is also getting red, jeez...’

Before anyone could ever confirm whether our statements were real or not the presence of our teacher struck everyone’s attention and they all sat at their respective seats, some were opening their books and others were...meditating...? Are they really that badly afraid to Professor Miriam? I giggled a little as to where Mika laughed alerting everyone.

“Good morning, everyone and Ms. Mika Torri a bit happy, aren’t we?” Our teacher opened the door at the sight of Mika laughing happily. She just nodded and sat with a dignified manner. I asked, “Why did you laugh so loud?”

“The face you’re making when you’re giggling...pfft...” She teasingly smirked.

“Sh-shut up...”

‘Jeez, what’s with her?’

We tried our best to follow through Professor Miriam’s lesson and didn’t have the chance to talk through the whole first class.

“S-see you...” Mika faintly whispers before taking off in the speed of light.

I tried not to think about it, yet after the first class it was the only thought floating around my mind. ‘I guess she’s cute...’

 

Walking through the hallways there were an unusually large crowd at the main hall. Hearing from the passersby students, a few squads were recruiting students and I found the cause of the crowd. “Lionne Allair.” Seeing as I cannot go to the other side of the main hall, I stayed for a bit to see how the recruitment will turn out.

“So, you’re Lionne Allair the famed strongest 1st year student.” His uniform appears to be a 3rd year. ‘The same as Sheila-senpai huh.’

“I am Lionne Allair, but I can’t say if I’m the strongest 1st year student. It is still only the first week since we freshmen came here in Tempest.” Just as ever, cheers and admiration from students mostly female were overwhelming the main hall.

“Well, wouldn’t you say no one would dare to take that title from you, upon seeing this scene?” As far as I know, even Mika and Shinra would have a hard time fighting Lionne. Despite not seeing any of them fight.

“Even if no one would deny that, are you sure you should be underestimating them?” I guess Lionne is not the type of person to flaunt his power. However, his words last time to me were pretty weird to say the least.

“Whether I underestimate them or not is theirs to prove otherwise, right? That’s why, you should join my squad, Fleusoar. Be our representative for the First Trial, Lionne Allair.” Boldy remarking such a statement. From what I could hear, Fleusoar is the strongest squad currently at Top 1 across Tempest and managed to enter and get a place at the famed Royal Ten. The squads who have performed at their respective royal school and international events consisting of all seven royal schools, are given a chance to be nominated for a place in Royal Ten.

Royal Ten are squads of students from the seven Royal Schools who are given permission to do extracurricular activities and are recognized as full-fledged magicians despite being a student. This is done so that students who have excelled are being guided to become a powerful magician in the future.

“I’ll think about it. If you would please excuse me now.” In spite of being presented a chance to become a part of Royal Ten, Lionne Allair still looks to be uninterested and silently walked away.

“Hahaha, you’re certainly amusing Lionne Allair. Very well then, I’ll hold onto your word for now. I’ll be leaving the recruitment to you Vice.” He seems to be the captain of the squad and without minding the crowd he left the main hall. “Now for the students here who wants to try and become a part of Fleusoar, you’ve to prove your worth to be able to stand beside Lionne Allair if you want to also be one of the representatives. The recruitment test would be tomorrow after the last class of the day at the practical grounds area c. That’s all.” After everything had unfolded, I left and went to the rest of the morning classes.

           

Walking quite a distance the room was somewhere on the second floor of the main building.

I did not have anyone I could call a friend or acquaintance here in this class. Naturally, I took a seat from the further back and listened through.

“The first practical test for Wind Arts would be next week Monday. I expect for each and one of you to prepare accordingly. I’ll entertain your questions after we have finished the discussion today. Now then, let’s start with where we’ve left off last time. Open your books and go to page 15.” This class, Wind Defense Arts teaches all kinds of what and how to use wind spells and manipulate it.

If it is spells, I could remember the chants and be able to use it but if I am asked to manipulate a spell on my own. That’s where I could barely keep up.  As I’ve already read the contents of the book yesterday, there wasn’t any difficulty following along Professor Goodwill. If it is all theories and written knowledge, I could easily top the class, but I don’t want it to just end there.

Because of that, I’ll prepare for this practical test…

Once the class ended, I took some food at the cafeteria before heading towards the withered tree.

          

“I’m surprised you’re already here, Shinra. Did you see what happened earlier? There was quite a crowd back at the main hall.”

“Oh, the recruitment from squads? I don’t really take part in things like that. Besides, I won’t join any squad without you guys in it.”

“Are you sure? You could be a part of Royal Ten you know.”

“There’s more to Royal Ten than what you think, Kan.” I was a bit confused by what Shinra remarked but Mika was already here and looked to be having a bit more of a problem.

“Here, have a seat Mika, you’re awfully exhausted by the look of things.”

“Thanks, I was caught up with a few students.” A heavy sigh had left Mika.

“Why, what’s the problem?” Shinra gave her a sandwich we haven’t eaten yet.

“Well, basically my last class before lunch is Magic Manipulation I. And we were doing a practical mock test, in short, I wiped the floor against all the students in that class.” Upon closer look, I wondered if she got injured or wounded during the test or when the students confronted her. I ended up asking her if she was okay.

“Ayaya, you’re quite worried about Mika aren’t you Kan?” Shinra quickly pointed out.

“Well, it’s just I don’t want you guys to get hurt, you’re already my friends that’s why I thought I should help you…” Instead of denying it, I ended up being honest to them. I’ve been quite emotional these past days.

“You sure have a way with words, Kan. Right, Mika?” Although Shinra didn’t tease me about it, I could tell he genuinely appreciated it.

“Uhh, well thanks for worrying about me.” Mika on the other hand was still troubled by what happened.

“So, what happened before you came here? Did they attack you or something?” As if to get back onto the main topic, Shinra commented.

“I don’t think they would even have the thought of doing that when I convincingly win against them earlier during the mock test. But they did say their squad called Hawklight.” If Mika is a princess of kingdom Auriora, then she surely has the power to climb to the top here in Tempest. Still, I should not base her skill solely because of her background. I know how it feels and it’s not pretty.

“That’s quite a big name here in Tempest. If the captain of the Hawklight involved himself in this matter, then we have to tell this to the teachers.” Shinra explained further. Even if say we have the power to fight back, it would still cause a dire situation.

“I mean can they even do anything that breaks the rules of Tempest?” That’s why they might do something underhanded or unexpected.

“I think that Hawklight is ranked somewhere between Top 4-7 here in Tempest.” Being ranked high in Tempest is already bad news for us.

“Haaah, guys they wouldn’t attack me openly in the campus. The students earlier asked for another mock fight. Although this time it is against someone from their squad.” That’s still a problem on its own though.

“It sounds like you’ve accepted it.” Judging from her tone, she might have been getting harassed not just today and wants to end this quickly.

“I did accept it. Else they wouldn’t let me have a quiet time here in Tempest.” I should do my best to help but I wonder how.

 “I guess that’s settled then. Even if we may slow you down, we’ll do our best to fight beside you Mika.” Seeing Shinra being supportive and all, I felt that I’ll also fight.

“Huh? Hey, this is my matter okay!” Well, even if Mika argued against us, Shinra alone can insist throughout the day that we’ll fight beside her no matter what.

“I agree with Shinra. I’ll do what I can to help even if it just a little.” I also want to see how they fight as magicians.

“Seriously, you guys. We haven’t even gotten to know each other that well and you’re willing to fight for me. You’re idiots.” We didn’t reject the idea and instead smirked as we huddled.   “But then I guess, I’m also an idiot for being friends with the both of you. Let’s do this!”

And just like that, we were in for a surprise as we have our first hurdle here in Tempest.

2