Chapter 1 Part 6 (Updated)
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mika Torri POV

 

“Where’s Kan? He’s unusually late.” Crowds of students took the time to witness this supposedly “friendly match.” I still haven’t recovered completely to fully concentrate myself in this fight. Shinra on the other hand was itching to start. “Did you check up on him earlier?”

“Don’t worry, I told Kan the time.”

“What time specifically?” Shinra could not answer. “Shinra, do you know the time currently?” Not even a nod came from him. “Haaah, let’s hold off on our own for the time being until Kan gets here.”

Just then, the 1st year back then who recklessly charged at us was already looking for Kan. “Did he already turn his tail? I kind of expected much from that coward. Shall I end this already?” His big physique speaks for his intellect I see. “You don’t need to worry about that; Kan will come sooner or later. Let’s start this already.”

There were two 2nd years one of which whom Shinra faced last time and the other one would be who I’ll face. “So Eliote would not be stepping in?” Brushing off my hair, these three members of Hawklight were not that bad in terms of skill.

Still, we’re much stronger.

“That’s Eliote-sama for you, insolent brat.”

As the crowd could not wait any further a neutral party would judge the fight. Nio Mistraeso, captain of another top squad.

“Should we take turns to fight two versus one against them?”

“That’s not a bad idea, let’s do that.” Agreeing to Shinra’s proposal, the Hawklight members appeared to be irritated at our little conversation about dealing with them.

“Quick Tempo: Moderato.” Casting a light wind spell, I quickly evaded the 2nd year student’s attack. ‘He has bloodshot eyes, so I’ll call him that.’

Bloodshot continued firing ice shards before casting a large fire spell. “Flameshot!” 

I’ll return him the favor. “Burn brighter, scorch deeper, and coerce through all points. Prociscus Special: Fire Burst!” Overpowering his magic, bloodshot was bewildered at this fact.

“You use unique spells, your name?” I averted my gaze from bloodshot and took a glance at the 1st year.

“I’m not sure if a monkey could remember a person’s name.” Stirring up his emotions, the 1st year student pounced forward taking pride in his physique as Shinra appeared before me like a zap, “Sorry, but you can’t fight our princess without going through me.”

“Stop it with that act Shinra.” Even in this situation he has the luxury to tease people.

“Don’t think for a second that you’re going to win.” Finally, bloodshot appeared to be serious. Strengthening his body with various spells before revealing his fighting style.

Casting numerous spells, a short sword came from his sleeve. He might be good in close combat. Flinging out his short sword there were a lot of aerial attacks aiming at me. “Distractions atop distractions. So he is that kind of magician…” There are numerous fatal flaws waiting to be taken advantage of though.

“Don’t focus on one person.” Shinra hammered down a lightning attack against Bloodshot. Nevertheless, he carried on and looked to continue his attack at me. Obstructed from the spells around me, I forgot the other 2nd year was present at the fight.

When everything looked to be at stake. He always finds a way to steal the spotlight.

“You’re fighting me!” Kan rushed in immediately firing off the spell that started it all. “Blinding Light: Tenfold!”

With everyone blinded, I loosened my body and used a destructive wind spell to block all the spells. “Aerial Sphere!”

“Continue!” Given the green light by the judge to resume the fight after Kan barged in. I then looked to fight back.

Gaining momentum, I focused towards Bloodshot strengthening my body purposely for a close combat. Lunging forward I swung my right arm putting all the strength onto my elbow. With his elusive fighting style, he somehow managed to step back far away before exploding his anger onto me.

“Disgraceful, casting a low-tier spell against one of the members of the famed Hawklight! I’ll show you how a true magician fight!” Striding quickly, upping his pace there was a few to little time for a counterattack.

Without anywhere to go to I moved to a corner evading the 1st year’s grapple taking my attention away from Bloodshot “Kan, I’ll leave it to you!” I cried, as the concentration of mana fluctuated at one point. “The ripples of wind that flows through, spiral and stream like a fan, surge forth against my foes! Wind Torrent!”

For a person to suddenly lift a weight that is ten times heavier than his body it would always result to a failure. Moreover, to consider controlling the flow of elements to limit the damage and manipulate it so that you won’t get caught up in the attack, taking all that into account in a dire situation without many options. Only a true magician, a powerful magician can do that.

Kan Uolo a 1st year for a span of eight seconds surpassed his limit.

Stopping Bloodshot’s attack Kan didn’t stop and charged right onto the enemy blindly. His fist would suddenly stop mid-air. Then, a drop of blood teared down from the floor. “Don’t! It’s fine, this is just as far as I could go.” Somehow Kan had already knew that Shinra and I would not sit idly at his state.

“That’s more than enough!” From the audience side, a professor signaled to end the match. It wasn’t even two minutes in, and the match had already concluded. No one could utter a word as the sight of the 1st year student Kan Uolo burned into everyone’s mind.

 Even so, my legs walked on its own hoping to be at his side.

 

Kan Uolo POV

 

Ending the match against the Hawklight members the people that were there quickly spread what happened.

Being the most wounded one once again, Mika and Shinra insisted that I get treated to the nurse’s office. I was asked to rest for half a day before the nurse could let me go. There were more students who would occasionally glance at me.

Grumpily eating the sandwich Shinra gave me I commented, “She… Mika has been avoiding me since earlier, right?”

“You do know that she blames herself for getting your right hand all blistered and patched.”

“Well, I can’t let her get hit by that kind of attack, can I? Besides the nurse said it would be numb for just a week.” Just the thought of fending off that attack was quite crazy even more so when I stopped it head-on. I consider this wound a badge of honor to be honest.

“Just give her some time, I’ll try to convince her to talk to you one of these days.” Pondering for a few seconds Shinra thought of an idea. “I know let’s ask her to eat lunch with us. I’ll tell you the details later.” It appears that Shinra had to do some extra schoolwork because he skipped classes last week.

Left alone, I slowly walk my way to the dorm once the nurse asked me to continue resting back to my room. Luckily no one picked a fight against me as it was already getting dark by the time I got back.

 

I took a few minutes to adjust the bandage around my right hand to ensure it would not hurt when I sleep. “Wind Torment. A mid-tier spell that uses large mana to propel violent winds against your enemies. The strength of the spell varies to the user and their affinity to wind. In some cases, a magician can amplify the distribution of mana causing Wind Torment to be a deadly attack.” Browsing through one of the rented books I borrowed from the library back then, I envisioned the first practical test I did at the first week.

“That feeling of being in a dire situation, using everything you have to power through your way. Without regard if you can do it or not. I wonder if I can feel that again?” Sinking through the bed I faintly smiled. “I’m sure being with them, I just might.”

The room fell into silence as I closed my eyes.

.

.

.

 

For the past week, Mika tried her best to avoid me but would still sit next to me during the first class.

 

“Haaaah…”

“Are you all right now, Kan Uolo?” It was Professor Miriam.

“Uhmm, yes. The nurse said that I can now move my right arm, but I should still refrain from carrying heavy stuff or extensively using magic.” The first class just ended, and Mika had already left.

“I see. The method you used to dispel Brion’s attack.” As if realizing that I did the same thing what I had done from the first practical test she continued, “That was quite reckless, but I need to commend your efforts. You’ve done well Kan Uolo.” Lifting her left hand, a small vortex of wind gathered around it. “Wind is a very delicate element. It is easily influenced by many factors yet has the power to disrupt things easily. And your usage of wind funnily enough has the power to influence many things.”

“I’m sorry I don’t quite understand it, Professor Miriam.” I’m not sure if she was playing with words or whatnot. I could not comprehend the meaning behind her words.

“Haha, you don’t need to worry about it. That’s just my speculation about your wind magic. Now then, best hurry up or you’ll be late to your next class.” I nodded in reply and left the room pondering about her statement.

 

After the second class had ended, I headed towards the third class of the morning and surprisingly, this dude sat beside me. ‘Lionne Allair’ I wonder what could he possibly want from me? He faintly muttered, “A---” Like every time someone wants to befriend me, some no one immediately try to stop it.

“Oh, Lionne Allair. Have you still not considered the Fleusoar invitation?” I glanced and at first look I could already tell the person in front is a cunning guy. ‘I don’t know if I should be happy, I have this kind of ability to recognize people.’

“When did we get so close that you would address me so lightly, Jiura?” No one dared to comment; instead, the intensity of Lionne Allair’s tone overwhelmed the room. ‘This is how one can distinguish a true heir of the Royal Family.’ However, Jiura Creina did not show any hint of fear rather was grinning schemingly. I had heard of his name from people passing by whenever I head back to the dorm. That he is someone who, despite being a first year holds a high position in Fleusoar, a faction where select people could be accepted.

To be honest, it wasn’t a faction rather an elite group. Well, I don’t really listen that much in this class and always seat at the second back row of the room. Still, it sucks that they are having a dispute near me. ‘I haven’t done anything wrong to be near this kind of situation, so why?’ I should really complain sometimes. Although I couldn’t possibly say anything. I have a feeling I would get instantly shut down.

“Aren’t we already friends, Lionne?” His words radiated a hint of claiming superiority over Lionne Allair.

“I thought I told you to not address me so lightly?” Lionne exhibited his magnitude of an aura ever so slightly... The elemental particles were being sucked in and condensed as it swirled around Lionne revealing a color of blue.

“You wanna go, Lionne?” Jiura Creina also rivaled that off Lione’s aura causing the space of the room to tremble lightly.

“Hey, get back to your seats.” The teacher arrived and fired shots to both Jiura and Lionne. “Now!” His voice dissipated the tension to what seems a flimsy aura of the two“Well, we will be awaiting your answer, Lionne...Allair. Not like you have any group to join.” Jiura remarked while giving a slight glance at me, as he exited the room. “Where are you going brat?” “I am not a part of this class...” A smacked from the teacher reached Jiura. “Then get the hell out!”

I guess, even Jiura Creina can’t retaliate against teachers. With the time I spent here in Tempest, I can tell the teachers here are not just some people with knowledge instead they are also excellent mages. I should do my best not to anger them.

“I’m sorry for seeing that side of me, Kan Uolo.” Lionne Allair voiced as the teacher was scolding Jiura Creina. “It's fine, Lionne Allair.” “Lionne is fine.” He remarked. “O-ok... why did you sit beside me?”

“I have a favor to ask... Can I be a part of your group in the upcoming first trial?” Is he serious? “I do not expect an immediate response, but I will be waiting until the end of this week.” He added as his gaze shifted towards the teacher. I nodded nervously in response.

‘What did he mean by being a part of my group in the first trial?’ My mind did not stop thinking about it till the end of the class. As always, I did not listen to any classes. While my mind was wandering Lionne Allair voiced, “I’ll see you later, Kan Uolo.”

“Kan’s also fine, Lionne.” I replied and left before anyone else. ‘Jeez, I have so many things happening at once.’

The third class ended and soon followed the last one for the morning as well.

1