Chapter 1 Part 7 (updated)
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking down the hallway, people were whispering here and there. I did not mind and as always steered clear away from the crowd. Eventually reaching the side door where the withered tree is up ahead. I mostly now know where paths lead to and where is the fastest path to go home or to avoid someone.

“Yo!” Someone patted my back gripping it tightly.

“What might I have done to offend you... Ms. Sheila?” I turned my gaze towards her with her frisky smile.

“Hehe, I have heard quite the news from you, kouhai.” Sheila-san offered me to go to lunch with her.

For a moment I saw Mika’s shadow. ‘Is she hiding?’ I shouted, “I’ll catch up later Mika also tell Shinra about that, sorry!”

“Hmm, who were you talking to, kouhai?”

“Nothing, anyways---”

“Eh, could it possibly be...your girlfriend?”

“Whaa-”

“I’m right huh? I thought you did not have any interest towards that kind of stuff, pervert.”

“So, what did you want to talk about, Sheila-san?” I did not try to convince her otherwise. It seemed that whatever I say she won’t believe; instead listen to the words she wanted to hear.

“Hmm, I heard your amazing fight against the Hawklight.”

“I also would like to thank you for helping me that time.”

“And just now Lionne Allair asked to be in your group, and you faced Jiura Creina, talk about a day huh? Besides, you have a girlfriend, you did not tell me about.” She continued.

“Well, I wouldn’t say faced, I was just there at the time, and they did not come into an agreement. Also, I don’t have any girlfriend so please cut me some slack, Sheila-san.”

We talked while walking across the hall.

“I see, so you do not want to publicize that you have a girlfriend, I understand...”

“How did you come to that conclusion!?” I complained profusely.

“I guess that’s enough about that, you should be wary of the students in your year level. There are too many who are skilled individuals; of course, you’re included, junior.”

“Stop joking, Sheila-san" I sighed deeply. At this rate I might not make it till the end of the year.

We entered the cafeteria and ordered as we sat to a table unoccupied; it was far from the crowd.

“So, what are you going to do, junior?”

“What do you mean?”

“About Lionne Allair he wants to be a part of your group, right?” She does not want to let it go huh.

“Obviously, I would have to decline. I do not need to think that long to understand what can happen if I accept.” I took a bite of the curry I ordered. “News spread fast here in Tempest. It just happened earlier, and almost everyone had already heard of it. That’s scary” I added before taking a sip of my bottled water.

“That’s why as I said earlier you should be wary. There’ll be plenty students who would come for you asking why Lionne Allair wanted to join your group. I think you already know the rule before coming in here. ‘The strong rules the weak’. It’s something that is not just present in this school instead from the outside world as well.”

“So, use everything in your arsenal, Kan. I have faith in you that amidst the skilled students within your batch you are a unique one. Make your senpai proud.” Sheila-san smiled as she dropped those heavy words. Saying that I was quite taken aback was an understatement. Still, I could not fathom how she can believe that I am something of worth.

“What, not even a thank you?” Sheila-san looked at me.

“T-thank you.”

“Look at you blushing and all, haha. That’s all I wanted to say for my one-of-a-kind, junior. I’ll see you later.” I finished eating my curry and it seemed she just ordered a cup of coffee. After she left the cafeteria, I followed suit as I head towards the withered tree.

‘I never thought someone could have that much faith in me. Besides I need to hurry, Mika and Shinra might still be there.’

 

 

I rushed towards the withered tree.

‘I finally got the chance to become a mage. I shouldn’t just complain all the time and do something for once.’

I reached the withered tree, and they were...still there.

“Hey, I’m sorry I’m late.” I slowly catch my breath.

“Oh, Kan we thought you weren’t coming.” Shinra waved his hand.

While Mika stood up and walked away.

“Where are you going, Mika?”

“Practice.”

“O-ok. Is she all right practicing and all?” I sat down and Shinra offered me a cup of tea.

“I guess that’s not what I should be asking. Did I do something wrong?” I asked him while we were both looking at Mika. She seemed to be creating a sound-proof wind barrier just like that time.

“You don’t know what you did wrong? You’re quite dense, Kan” Shinra was disheartened as if I should have known what I had done wrong. “She saw you earlier with someone. She was psyching up and getting ready to finally talk to you and walk together back here, but there was another girl with you.”

“Oh, Sheila-san...so it was really her shadow that I saw earlier.” I mentioned.

“Now you know why she’s mad at you?” It kind of makes sense at least.

“I think so.” ‘I probably should tell her that Sheila-san is a friend.’

“Be back in a sec I have something to tell you guys.” I stood up and walked towards Mika.

“Hey, I’m sorry for earlier it was Sheila-san she helped me when I just entered in Tempest and taught me how things work here. She’s basically my senpai that’s why I seem to be in the library more often and that’s all there is.”

“Really?” Mika uttered softly not looking at me.

“Yeah.”

After Mika seemed to calm down, I review what happened and got me thinking. ‘Why is she mad that I am with Sheila-san? Is it because I should be fulfilling my promise to eat lunch with them or for another reason?’

“Hey, on that note, are you mad that I am with Sheila-san?” I blurted out what was on my mind.

“Wh-whaat? It’s not like I care who you go hang out with.” Her face was beaming red, that’s quite suspicious.

“Then why are you mad all of a sudden?” I responded leaning against her observing her intently.

“..! Well...” As if she cannot make any excuses anymore…

“It’s because you did not eat lunch with us, Kan” Shinra voiced grabbing our attention.

“Y-yeah that’s the reason.” Picking up on Shinra’s remark Mika pointed out it was because I did not eat lunch with them.

“Ok I’ll make it up to you, anyways I have something to tell you guys.” I advised that we should sit.

Mika sighed and placed her right hand at her chest as if she was relieved the reason why she’s mad has been approved.

“Lionne Allair asked if he could become one of us. I...I mean if he could be a part of our group.”

“Well, have you asked why?” She seemed to calm down and started listening.

“I forgot hehe.” I acted dumbfounded.

“Jeez...” Mika placed her hand at her temple conveying that she cannot deal with this. It appears that she is back to her normal self. ‘You were just flustered a minute ago, don’t give me that look.’

“Hmm, I think he wants to be part of our group for the first trial.” Shinra carefully come up with a reason.

“I was actually thinking of the same thing, and he might have said it.” I added thinking about the same thing.

“Were you really thinking? Although I think he is already offered by the Fleusoar?” Mika gave her thoughts on the matter. Hey, she’s quite too relaxed especially insulting me nonchalantly.

“Yeah, it seems he does not want to, but I think it is inevitable that he would be placed in that squad.”

“What do you mean?” Mika questioned, tilting her head. Isn’t the reason already clear?

“Well, we are not going to let him in our group, right?” I answered in the most obvious manner, then a short silence roamed near us causing us to think about this deeply.

“I suppose?” Shinra was not particularly sure about it.

“Well, when will you give him an answer?” Mika looked at me waiting for me to respond.

“I was thinking we can decide today but he said that he can wait till this Friday.”

“I guess there is not that much to go on if we don’t know what his motive for joining our group.” Mika stood up after hearing the bell.

“Yeah, I guess so.” Shinra nodded and cleaned the seats.

“W-wait you’re actually considering Lionne Allair’s offer?” I both looked at them as this is not what I expected.

“Yes, even though he is an Allair, having him is not bad, but benefits us greatly.” Mika responded with a straight face saying that much is evident to see.

“While it may be that case, do you think people would let that be?” I tried to understand why they are considering this offer.

“Look, I know that it is a risky choice but let’s not disregard it first, ok?” Mika tried to convey it to me.

“Cheer up Kan no matter what happens we’ll find a way together!” Shinra encouraged.

“Fine, I’ll talk with Lionne Allair about considering his offer on Friday.”

“Great, we should probably meet at the library since no can create a scene there.” Mika remarked with a slight low tone.

“I’ll see you later after the classes Kan and Mika.” Shinra left while smiling.

“I should probably head onto my next class.” I turned around.

“W-wait...” Mika stopped me.

“Hmm...?”

“Will your senpai be there?” Mika asked, averting her gaze.

“I think so.”

“O-ok, see you later.” She tried to smile but I immediately noticed that she was not that happy.

‘I wonder if there would be no fuss in the library after all?’

 

I didn’t go back to the main building and instead head straight towards the practice grounds. “I’m quite nervous. Simply because I didn’t have much time to practice recovering from the fight against the Hawklight members.” Yes, the time has come to showcase the spell Tempest. Although it felt like a few days, two weeks have passed since then.

Remembering the chant was not a matter to worry about rather the manipulation of wind and how to efficiently use one’s mana to successfully cast this advanced spell.

“Please step to the center, Kan Uolo. You’ve picked the spell Tempest, right?” I nodded before taking a deep breath. “I see, you may start I’ll tell you my evaluation of your performance later on.”

Given the go sign, I plunged my mind to a state of focus.

“Like a swirl it gathers, swerve as the gusts of wind spiral, amass as one and let it be known as the great storm of all! Tempest!” Little by little, particles of magicule flow through around me as it became a breeze, gust, until a tempest. The scale of the spell was rather lacking, and I was asked to continue feeding it with mana. It became apparent for a few seconds that I was starting to lose control of the spell, yet Professor Goodwill had not told me to stop yet. Just then what I had desperately tried to avoid became reality. I could not control it any longer.

“Tempest!” Coming from the Professor’s side he casted the same spell. Completely unlike of what I had casted. Stopping my spell, he had asked me to step out of the center and listen through his evaluation.

“Kan Uolo, your performance met with all of the procedures, and you’ve chanted the right lines for the spell. However, if you’ve noticed that was the extent of your magic. A textbook through and through, there wasn’t anything unique to it. What do you think?”

“I understand that I lack the power to master a spell and make it my own style.”

“Listen, the casting and chanting of the spell you had done, and I had done were the same. The difference lies within yourself. You barely passed the test for managing to execute an advanced spell. That’s all. The next student come forward!”

1