Chapter 1 Part 9 (Updated)
33 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The prologue to our true selves 

 

 

Soon afterwards, Shinra easily passed his written test and got off about the matter with his few attendances.

It was the end of the last class and its Friday. I need to find Lionne Allair.

I haven’t searched for a person especially someone like Lionne Allair, I wonder if I can find him?

The class ended and I exited the room. ‘Let’s look for him right no--’

He just left from the door next room. I was about to call him out but suddenly he was surrounded by students. ‘That’s right this dude is crazy popular even if I did find him it would be pretty hard to talk to him.’

I tried to find a way to catch his attention but what did I expect? Heck, no one even noticed I was amidst this crowd. I turned back and thought about finding a way when the crowd surrounding him is gone. I left the main hallway and headed for the withered tree.

“Still being in that kind of crowd doesn’t it exhausts him? If it was me, I would just ditch all of it.”

“Well, that’s what I was hoping to accomplish by joining your group.”

“I see... Wait... Why are you h-here, Lionne Allair?” I gasped.

“I saw your back figure and followed you.” He replied and walked beside me. ‘Oi, is this guy for real?’

“Is something the matter, Kan?” ‘The heck he just called me?’ We were near the end of the main hallway as I stopped walking.

“Actually, I want you to come with me, the request you said, I can’t decide by myself so I asked Mika and Shinra to also talk with you so we can reach to a conclusion.”

“Do you really talk like that?” Lionne asked dumbfoundedly.

“Why, what’s wrong?”

“You speak so formal; do you want to be a dictator?”

“Wh-what, no... It just so happened I speak this way, okay? Anyway, let’s go or are you put-off with my speaking?”

“No.” Lionne declined immediately.

“Very well then, let’s go.” ‘Dang, I do speak somewhat formal... I just remembered what I didn’t want to...’ I sighed in return.

 

 Heading towards the library I couldn’t let go of the student's gazes.

“Aren’t you getting annoyed by people’s stares, Lionne Allair?” I could not help but ponder before we enter the library.

“I lived my life with their gazes, so it became natural to me, and I said to just address me as Lionne.” I opened the door as he responded.

We walked inside and there were a few people who were murmuring, and it seems this wasn’t a sight they would normally see.

“Hmm, where are they?” I mumbled as I keenly looked for Mika and Shinra.

“Aahh...!” Someone tapped my shoulder and pulled me towards them.

“You’ve come, Kan!” A familiar voice, one that might be the reason for a trouble later.

“Nice to see you, Sheila-san.” I replied averting my gaze.

“What’s with that response not happy to see me? Anyways the head librarian will keep watch of the place for the time being. Let’s go.” She didn’t let go of my arm and started walking instead.

“Where are we going?” We weren’t headed for the tables in the library rather towards the back door.

“Oh, this conversation is not suited for public places, so we’ll talk at the back.”

“Is it somewhere in the Forbidden Section?” Lionne asked.

“Not the forbidden section it’s just a lounge area.” Sheila-san responded happily marching our way through the back.

For a moment, it felt like I was entering an unknown world once I stepped inside the room. Like, my dull life would suddenly take a turn and unimaginable things would start at this very moment, possibly this point in time is where everything might have changed.

“You’re late, Kan!” Shinra pointed out as he took a sip of an iced tea.

 I took a clear view of the room and Mika was nowhere to be found. 

“Where’s Mika?” Sheila gestured for us to seat.

“I’m already here and you’re still looking for someone else. You are one bad kouhai.” She expressed and added. “She’s looking for something at the Forbidden Section. She got the approval of the Head Librarian.”

“Mika said that we should start even if she’s not here.”  Shinra followed and as if he’s disappointed Lionne sat next to him.

“Thank you for having me today.” Lionne slightly bowed before we told him to stop with the formalities.

“Are you gonna stay Sheila-san?” I leaned back against the couch.

“Do you dislike that I am here?” She pouted in reply.

“Ehh, no not really you can stay.” I immediately answered as she sat beside me.

I sat at the opposite side of the table, and I looked at Shinra. ‘I guess I’d be the first one to ask a question.’

“I’m gonna be blunt Lionne what is the main reason that you wanted to join us?” I felt relieved and worried that I asked first.

“I wanted to join your group because I do not want to join the Fleausoar.” He replied without a hint of lie in his eyes.

“Hmm, but why our group in particular?” I followed another question.

“Because your group looks fun” Lionne added, “and the three of you are good friends even if you’re not of the same hierarchy.”  Shinra and I were shocked that Lionne thought of us like that.

“Puhahaha, a good answer I like it.” Sheila-san bursted out laughing and suggested. “Why don’t you add him to your group, Kan?”

The three of them looked at me. I was about to say something before someone cut in.

“I don’t approve of Lionne Allair joining our group.” It was Mika who was walking with a few books in her hand. I looked at her and there was a hint of redness from her cheeks before she saw Sheila beside me.

She sat between Sheila-san and I promptly.

“Why don’t you approve of me? May I ask why?” Lionne faced Mika who took a deep sigh before saying anything.

“I already submitted our group entry for the first trial.” She directly remarked.

“Wh-what?” All of us were shocked.

“That’s why you can’t join our group.” Mika reasoned out.

‘This girl...’

I was about to finally say something but then again Mika looked at me before adding as if she gestured that she has a plan.

“However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t join our group later on.”

“What do you mean?” Lionne looked confused all of a sudden.

“After the first trial you can be a part of our group. Just this once you will be our enemy.” It seems this is the conclusion Mika ended up with. I glanced at Shinra and he was relieved that Mika chose this path. Is it really the right thing?

“Although that is just my offer. You can still join us in this first trial but after that you cannot join us. I assume you know why.” Mika explained leaving many things unsaid.

“Very well, I’d choose the first option. I’d be your enemy for the first trial, Kan.” Lionne switched his gaze at me.

“Yeah, don’t hold back. We’ll be waiting for you.” I replied as my body was shaking uncontrollably his gaze was enough to make me surrender before the event starts.

 

Once that was over, Lionne took his leave and there was a moment of silence until.

“Hey, what made you think that you can just enter our group in the first trial without our consent?” I yelled at Mika.

“W-well...that was just the only option you know?” She yelled back.

“Geez, I’ll let that one slide, but you have to explain what you meant earlier.” I wanted to know where she got such information.

“Oh, that?” Maybe I got mad with her expression that seemed it is nothing of importance, I resort to pinching Mika’s cheeks.

“Ok, ok... I’ll tell you!”

After caressing her cheeks where I just pinched, she faced us, and explained. 

“Basically, there are things going on behind the curtains.” Then she yelled once again. “Ow... ow...!” I pinched her cheeks at the same side once more.

“What’s wrong with you?” Mika wailed hissing at me.

“We already got the gist that there are things going on behind the curtains!” I shouted back.

Mika looked dumbfounded. “Then why did you want me to explain?”

‘She asked for it...’  I pinched her cheeks once more and added. “You obviously know more than that right? Tell us about it.” I let go as she caressed her cheeks whilst firing glares at me.

“You’re so harsh you know that?”

“I didn’t ask for that answer or do you want another one?” I glanced at her now reddish cheeks. It seemed she learned her lesson.

“You could have just asked that, mou.”

I wanted to pinch her again, but Shinra stopped me. ‘This girl is a lost cause.’ She also guarded her reddish cheeks.

“The principal himself recommended Lionne Allair to join Fleusoar.” Mika finally let the cat out of the basket, after we both calmed down for a minute.

“Sound likes an order for me.” I turned to grab an iced tea at the table and took a sip.

“Nevertheless, if we stop Lionne Allair from joining Fleusoar we’re basically confronting the principal.” She explained further.

“Still, I wonder why our group particularly?” Shinra tilted his head thinking a bit deeply about it.

“It’s because of Kan obviously.” Sheila-san butted in.

“Geh, you’re still here?” I unintentionally blurted out. ‘Crap...’

“Hmmm...?” Sheila-san looked at me slowly. “What’s that supposed to mean, kouhai?” Her aura was oozing danger.

“Aaarghh...!” I got smacked.

“Look, Lionne chose your group Kan and now that you’ve meddled into the big scene there’s no going back you know?” As if a reminder of the danger that lies ahead of us Sheila-san stood up.

“Involving ourselves with the Fleusoar after Hawklight…I thought we’re already past fighting squads…” Mika dreaded the future.

“It’s not like Lionne would talk about our plan, right?” I questioned this uncertainty.

“Well, that’s true...” Sheila-san's voice echoed the room for a moment. ‘What the heck was that?’ It felt as if...

“Alright, that’s that I already heard enough, and I am not even a part of your group. I only am Kan’s senpai anyways.” Sheila-san turned around and headed towards what appears to be a backdoor. “Oh, by the way since you’re done with your talk you should go home after you relax for a bit. You can leave the lights open I’ll come back later anyways. I’ll see you.” With that she opened the door and silently left.

It felt as if she noticed something...someone...

 

 

Sheila Neru’s POV

 

I wasn’t mistaken...someone was eavesdropping us. I was about to trace their whereabouts before it suddenly vanished. The trace was too quick to disappear they probably concealed their mana.

I’d say they are not that bad although it wasn’t enough to get away from my range.

“Trace...” I activated my magic. They probably don’t know this, but people leave a residue of stranded mana strings whenever they use magic. No matter how skilled you are at mana manipulation there will always be mana strings that remain.

Every step I took at this dimly lit hallway I would pick up senses that they still haven’t gone that far.

“Come out, you weren’t even trying to hide out your presence.” My voice echoed around the hallway. After a deafening silence…

“Dang it, I was found.” A silhouette of someone raising both of their hands could be seen. “Not that it matters...” He added.

‘He really went out, I guess this person is quite stupid.’

Finding an opening, a compressed magic spell suddenly flashed at me from the back.

I did not notice before it could reach contact with me.

“Whew, you dodged that…? You’re quite good.” The silhouette suddenly approached the light where I could see his face. A black robe hiding his attire, it seemed more of an adventurer clothes. A hired spy perhaps?

“Hey, are you going to just stand there?” He looked at me confidently. ‘Is he skilled or just a show-off?’

Black hair, brown eyes, and his face I haven’t the faintest clue who could he be.

“Who sent you to spy their conversation?” I asked whilst assessing the area.

I managed to avoid direct damage from his magic spell using a grade-b wind defense spell. Still, if I couldn’t sense his magic spell coming at me before a certain radius this would be a bit troublesome.

“What conversation?” I’m impressed that he managed to even utter those words; he might just be enjoying this situation. Taking a glance at his smirk face he sure is having fun.

“It doesn’t matter you’ll tell me everything anyways.” I took a stance and readied my mana flow.

 

“Now that’s more like it... I’m not cut out for gathering information but if it’s fighting, I’m raring to go.” I could sense that his mana flow is clearly refined. He poured a dense amount of mana towards his fist emitting a fiery fist.

I extended my left hand and simultaneously chant a combination of wind type spells, in one word. “Outburst.” This combination of spells would be labeled by me.

Unfazed by my outburst he charged head-on. ‘An idiot who’s flaunting his power I guess,’ I thought.

His right hand suddenly spewed flames against my outburst. “Crap!” I didn’t realize until later on that he was insane. When the heat from his flames comes into contact with the wind pressure of my spell it can accelerate fire burning more and, in the end, causing an explosion.

“Calm Wind!” A barrier of 10-meter radius, I hastily tried to prevent an explosion and manipulated the wind barrier to be pushed towards the exit of the hallway. Still a slightly small tremor similar to a nudge of a truck towards a wall could be experienced near the dimly lit hallway.

I then used a bit more mana strengthening and enhanced my feet with wind spells and dashed through the hallway, following the shadow of the intruder.

1