Chapter 1 Last Part (Updated)
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This one is a bit longer than usual as it would be the same for the next chapters once it is at the end.

 

Kan Uolo’s POV

 

 I still didn’t understand why it seemed that Sheila-san was in a hurry.

“Hey, stop spacing out.” Mika poked my face.

“Oh, sorry. What are we supposed to do now?” I asked relaxing at my seat.

“That’s what we are talking right now remember?” Mika sighed as she's having a hard time with my lack of attentiveness.

“We should practice before the first trial, right?” Shinra mentioned the idea.

“Exactly.” Mika replied. “We need to win.” She was a bit more ambitious than Shinra and I.

“That’s a bit too much...” Shinra let out his worries.

“That’s why we need to practice not just individually but our teamwork also!” Her voice was getting more commanding. ‘Does she really want to win that much?’ Shinra and I felt a bit anxious.

“What are we even supposed to do at the first trial?” I asked the two of them.

“As far as I know there would be the regular sports event at the first day and after that we would battle individually for the second day and at the third day there would be teams formed to compete against the event that is picked in the lottery box.” Shinra shared what he knows about it.

“Well, no one really pays attention at the first day. All the spectators would be arriving at the second day where a tournament is essentially held. Sometimes the fights would get longer thus having the semi-finals and the finals to be held at the third day, so there might not be any team related event.” Mika added further.

“The first trial is two months from, now, right?” I tried to confirm it.

“Specifically, 1 month and two weeks.” Mika remarked. “We should get serious and train ourselves. We will be the ones to win!” Before Shinra and I knew it, she gathered us around and we huddled. “One, two, three, fighting!” We just went along with it.

“Now then let’s go to the festival! I think they are already preparing it’s just half an hour before it starts.” Mika was especially excited about it.

“You’re right, I’ll drop off my bag at my room first.”

Once we cleaned the table, the three of us experienced a slight shake from the walls.

“What’s that supposed to be?” I blurted out. I looked at the both of them.

“It’s probably someone being scolded by the head librarian.” Mika commented not minding it.

“Let’s go Kan.” Shinra carried his bag, and we were heading towards the front door.

 ‘Was it really the head librarian?’ For some reason I couldn’t shake off this uncertainty ever since Sheila-san left.

“I’m gonna go ask the head librarian you can go ahead guys.”

“Hey, wait!” Shinra tried to stop me.

 Both of them looked worried and silently followed me.

 

 

Sheila Neru’s POV

 

“Who the heck are you?” I stared at the black robe person before me. After that entire explosion he still came unscathed. ‘I need to be careful and assess the situation carefully.’ I enhanced my five senses due to an unknown threat...the man before me.

“Oh, you also survived that. No, you look injured though I am impressed that you were able to limit the casualties.” His confidence definitely isn’t just for show. I used a sustained healing spell so as not to drain my mana pool.

“You used a wind barrier and with great skill, you managed to control the flow of the elemental particles within that wind barrier...” After explaining what I had done he paused for a second. “Hahahaha, good you’re not weak... I might enjoy this a bit more!” The man was eager to fight strong ones.

Although I wanted to end this as soon as possible, it seems that I cannot defeat him right now under these circumstances. I need to carefully think of my plan next.

“I won’t give you the leisure to think this one, sorcerer!” Strengthening his body, he pulled out a knife inside his robe. ‘He’s experienced in close quarter combat?’ I evaded the first strike and used his momentum to jump in the air, yet as if he already knew my next move he was already at my back.

“Hey, is this all you’ve got?” I narrowly dodge his slash when I could already sense a grade-a fire magic spell imbuing his left hand. “Shit!” “Ora!” He cried.

Coming in contact with his imbued left hand I got shoved towards the ground that caused a small tremor. ‘This is bad... I cannot hold on for any longer.’ I moved my left hand and casted a healing spell towards my right shoulder. It’s starting to hurt...my right shoulder looks scorched.

“Hey, brat. I am just getting started you know. Try your best will ya?” Such an arrogant mouth.

“You won’t be saying that once the professors come here.” Even if we got off the campus grounds a few hundred meters away, this place is still not far from where the campus is. I just need to hold on until the professors comes here.

“Who? Hahahaha, don’t you know? I just put a barrier or specifically a veil around us. I’m not stupid, I know that they can trace where we are and before that happens, I’d beat the shit out of you first.” As though my last hope was shattered, I faintly giggled before it echoed throughout the grass fields.

“Oi, have you gone mad, brat?” Unable to comprehend the situation his dumbfounded face would soon plead for mercy.

“No, I was just thankful for your stupidity.” How should I handle this minion?

‘Since he went out of his way to ask for this, I’d show him a few things of what true dominance is all about.’

“How long until the outside notices this veil you put up?” I looked at the surroundings and completely healed my right shoulder. Letting loose a bit I reassess the situation, and a new persona was now in control of my body.

“Huh, why are you acting cocky? I’ll beat you to shreds in 5 minutes, you brat.” After those words left his mouth, I got serious for a bit.

“That’s more than enough.” A new trace of mana could be sensed within me. I lunged forth and as I stopped just right at him, I lightly jabbed his body using my left arm.

“Aaarrghhh...!” His mana flow in an instant was shattered completely. “Guagh! What the fuck did you just do?” He lost his balance like a broken mop. Kneeling already, how sweet.

“Now that’s more like it, hahaha uehe.” A sliver of bloodlust passed through my lips, “Oops, I shouldn’t have used that much force...or possibly are you just too weak?” I crouched down and forcefully grabbed his black hair as I looked directly at his face. “You wanted to have fun, right?"

“W-who the hell are you?”  There was little fear in his eyes. ‘Ahh...this one is still unaware.’

“If you survive this next 5 minutes, I’ll tell you...” I forcefully pounded his face towards the soil. “Oh yeah, you used a grade-a fire spell earlier, right?” I grinned vehemently. “Then, what would happen if I used it to someone who will take it head on? Sounds exciting, right?” My voice was unusually louder it was full of excitement and a feeling of freedom.

I imbued my left hand with fire’s torment a grade-a fire spell and aimed exactly at his exposed head, causing a large-scale explosion to occur.

“Hahahaha, this is quite fun!” I laughed happily revealing this unmatched power. “Still alive there?” I took a peek at the burnt ground as he’s clearly not budging.

“You’re the same as I am huh? A crazy mage, this should be fun!” He took damage but it wasn’t enough to deal a fatal blow. He tried to break free from my grasp after the explosion.

“Huh, who died and said that you should be having fun?” I suppressed his movement quickly twisting his joints by the sleight of my hand.

“G-gr-gravity magic, you are one hell of a student, aren’t you?” He still managed to speak.

“It’s too late to compliment me you know. Besides it seems they have already figured out this place. It’s too bad, but you can go now.” I undone the gravity magic and stopped the flow of the second mana pool.

“Hahaha, you took pity on me? You think I’ll stop now that your professors are here?” He instantly shot himself upwards charging straight ahead.

“This is why I hate muscle heads like you.” I dusted off any dirt around my uniform then as I brushed off my hair. “Don’t make me repeat myself. Get your filthy face out of here.” It wasn’t close to a bloodlust rather the environment was afraid of my presence.

There is a point in time where an individual who experienced many hardships and near-death experiences even witnessing a being capable of erasing their lives with just a flick, will cause something within them to change. After a series of gravely unspeakable things, she will then in turn be the same and become a monster as well. I was one of those existences and now those who stood before me are rendered by this sight of mine, a being who can eliminate anyone those who dare to oppose me. While also capable of erasing this land I so wishes.

“Oh, that’s right, I am also called Cecilia Merue, I assume you know the rest, right?” I unraveled as the veil was dispelled behind us. ‘Too bad I could not use Ringgua.’

 

Kan Uolo POV

 

 

Where could Sheila-san be? I have a bad feeling about this. Entering the main library there were not many lights on. Rushing along the aisles the head librarian titled her head in confusion at the sight of my worried expression.

I asked where Sheila-san was. “Sheila? She didn’t come here. Why do you ask?”

I knew it, something was wrong. Shortcutting my way outside the library I let the feeling of uncertainty dictate my steps. With each building I get closer to I ascertain that the uncertainty is somewhere behind the campus of Tempest.

 

It took quite a time with students around as the festival has already started. Street walks filled with dashing lights. Some wore festival outfits and other sorts of outfits. It was a bustling crowd of smiles and joyful encounters.

In contrast to ours. “Hey, Kan wait!” Mika and Shinra followed me all the way as I forcefully ram my way even against the crowds of students.

“I have to find Sheila-san.” Catching my breath, I stood far away from the crowd.  

“What are you doing running around?” A professor approached us.

“Sir Goodwill!” I hastily ran at him. “I have a bad feeling that something is happening behind the campus.” I explained unable to keep my composure.

“Huh, what are you talking about? You should not be running around the campus go back now---” A small spark of compressed mana fluctuation caught our attention. Professor Goodwill paused for a moment.

“Hey, you were saying that something is happening behind the campus, right?” Perhaps the professor noticed the mana fluctuation.

“Yes, sir!” I instantly nodded

“I see, you should all go back to your dorms then.”

“Wait! Let us come, Professor!” I cannot just sit idly by. Not this time…

“And why do I have to do that?” I need to go there whether he would let me or not.

“My senpai is missing and I think that she could be there.” Being truthful about the situation, I had hoped it was enough to convince him.

“Then all the more reason to not let you go.” He objected.  I was about to retaliate.

“Let them go with you, Cal.” It was the head librarian. Professor Goodwill stopped for a moment. Curiously, she looked for us.

“Hmmph, fine but you must stay close to me if you break this rule, I will have to reprimand you.” Professor Goodwill gave in and let us come with him. “We’ll be running at full speed keep up with me kids.”

 I thanked the head librarian and followed suit. ‘I hope you’re all right, Sheila-san.’

 

--------------------------------

 

Going at full speed there was an unusual distortion in the air. ‘A barrier?’ Although it wasn’t similar to that of Mika’s barrier.

Completely stopped in our tracks. “A veil...” Shinra softly muttered.

“Oh, I’m surprised a student knows this. We haven’t discussed this yet.” Professor Goodwill stopped in front of it analyzing the space around the veil.

Shinra was slightly uncomfortable knowing it was a veil. I did not pay mind as my thoughts were overflowing if Sheila-san was here.

“How are we going to get in?” I persistently asked.

“We need to dispel it. Can one of you help me?”

“I’ll do it Professor.” Mika came forward.

Shinra and I took a step back and as the Professor was telling Mika what to do, I was focusing my mana flow on my legs. I need to save Sheila-san...

‘Save her...? Although you are powerless?’ Before I knew it someone in my mind started talking back against me.

 I couldn’t control my trembling.

“Kan, it’s going to be all right.” Shinra patted my back. It was faint but I could also tell his hands were shaking.

‘You stupid idiot!’ I yelled at myself.

“Do you know what a veil is used for?” The air around Shinra changed. I could only ask and stay silent.

Massacres.”

“The nature of a veil is to momentarily trap an area away from the outside world. It is a mediocre type of dimension. A messed up one. That’s why if someone like the Sage creates a veil. It would take most of the Royal Family Heads to even hope of dispelling one.”

I could not bring myself to ask more and how he knows this. Partly, because I already know it would not end on a good note.

“Be ready, students!” Reeling us back in the situation. Unable to shake off my mind about what Shinra had said, I clenched my fist and stopped thinking as I intently stare at the veil.

After a few minutes, Professor and Mika dispelled the veil and before I could assess the situation when I already saw Sheila-san's figure my body instinctively rushed in. Pouring what mana, I had.

“W-wait, Kan Uolo!” I could no longer hear Professor Goodwill’s voice.

I dashed straight to where Sheila-san was.

“Y-you can’t be...one of the!” The man before Sheila-san was all bruised and kept saying something weird.

“W-why are you here!?” His voice started faltering. At first, I thought he was talking about me, yet his eyes seemed to be clouded by something.

“Sheila-san!”

“Oh, Kan you also came?” Sheila-san state wasn’t that bad, but I still couldn’t contain my worries and I unconsciously hugged her.

“My, you got a bit aggressive ever since we saw each other earlier.” I noticed and took a step back. The area we were in spoke for what happened around here.

“Sheila!” Professor Goodwill, Mika, and Shinra came.

“Hey...” A growl I had never heard of before stopped everyone. I was about to turn around to see who was letting out such immense bloodlust.

The ground started jerking, a spark of blue hue could be seen from Shinra.

“You were with the Countless Mask back then at Nirvel, back at my home!” The blue hues started to spark every millisecond it was getting faster and deadlier.

“Huh, who are you?” Snapping back to reality the man in the black robe looked at Shinra unaware of anything.

None of us could fathom how and exactly what happened but Shinra was gripping the neck of the man choking the life out of him in a fraction of a second. Again, as every second, sparks of lighting were uncontrollably depleting Shinra’s mana pool, no one could get near them. “The scene from back then…!” I can’t let it happen again, I tried to get close.

“The hell is up with you brat?” The man aggressively used everything to stop Shinra.

“Tell me where the Countless Mask is?” Shinra’s voice contained anger, sadness, and grief.

“Oh, wait a minute. Are you perhaps the one who survived the great slaughter of Nirvel? You’ve grown a lot haven---” Shinra maniacally electrified him and only stopped to not burn all of his mana.

“Fuck, bwahahaha...every one of you students here in this school are monsters.” Spatting out blood he couldn’t get out of Shinra’s grasp. No matter how hard he tried there wasn’t any way to get out of it.

“Look, I don’t know where the hell that creepy bastard is.”

“Then, die.” Shinra was about to do it...kill a person. Mika and I stepped in to stop it from happening while Professor Goodwill neutralized him.

Just then, the eyes of Shinra sparked tears unable to hide it amidst all the lightnings around him. “Last Chorus!” An anti-magic spell intended to stopped rampages. “Don’t stop me!” Bursts of overcharged sky-blue lightning engulfed the area.

“I love to kill you all, but it seems I have wasted time too much.” Sneaking up a chance, the man in the black robe slipped out of Shinra’s grasp and used a magic scroll. It was a one-way portal. Professor Goodwill couldn’t stop him in the end.

It seemed that it was finally over…?

“Why!? Why...! Why...?” Shinra was releasing out unbelievable levels of mana causing a surge of gust and bolts of lightning that would uncontrollably fire off near his surroundings.

“Shinra!” I called out to him cladding my body with mana.

“Why did I let it happen? If only I could have... Why is it always like this? Why did you let him go, Kan!? Tell me, why...!” Shinra couldn’t distinguish the past from reality his eyes were fixated onto me. Piercing through my heart I could not look elsewhere. In that moment flashes of memories barged into my field of vision.

“Shinra, it’s me Mika! You need to calm down! You’re expending your mana too quickly!” No matter how loud she yelled or scream Shinra wouldn’t understand.

“Calm Wind: State of Mind!” Sheila-san exerted her last mana to knock off Shinra unconscious.

He couldn’t hear anyone of us anymore. “Aaargaagh...!” Fighting back Sheila-san’s magic wasn’t enough.

“Sheila, take my mana!” Professor Goodwill lends his mana to Sheila-san in an attempt to overpower Shinra’s never-ending outburst.

“Why am I so powerless, tell me...?” Just like that he collapsed on the ground in return I was speechless. Shinra’s face, I couldn’t shake it off my mind.

“Kan help Shinra and you Mika help, Sheila. We’ll go back to Tempest immediately!” Professor Goodwill casted healing magic to both Shinra and Sheila-san. Summoning a familiar it was a tri-horned horse pulling a carriage.

“I’m sorry we were late Sheila-san...” I darted my gaze away from the scene.

“Don’t be, I’m glad you came to save me, kouhai.” Sheila-san added. “Still, your friend Shinra took a lot of damage from Professor Goodwill’s spell Last Chorus and still had that crazy mana within him.”

I could not say anything with his frail state. My expression could only appear grim to everyone else.

“It’s okay to feel down Kan, but sometimes things happen like this, and the question is not what you could have done now that it’s over, but what you should do moving forward, ok?” Sheila-san patted my head and affirmed the situation.

I faintly smiled back as we headed back towards our school, Tempest. I gritted my teeth in frustration out of spite towards myself. On the other hand, somewhere in my mind I couldn’t forget what the intruder said at Sheila-san. I tried to not think about it any further and decided to investigate it later on. After all I still have to worry about the first trial. I tried to get my mind off the events today.

I could tell out of everyone here. I was the only one who couldn’t do anything.

I was powerless...

 

--------------------------------------------

 

Going back, the sight of a few fireworks was launched above Tempest. In that clear sky, contrasting strokes of light ignited the dimly atmosphere. As I could not look anywhere in the eye, my gaze darting around. Until it met the ground, with a downcast gaze a sudden voice beckoned me.

“It seems that they’ll take Shinra to the nurse office and that Professor Goodwill will take it from here.” Slowing down her pace to match mine, Mika walked beside me. We were near the north side of campus where the nurse office was.

“Is that so, I see.” I wonder what sort of face am I making right now?

“Yeah, they said that it wasn’t a serious problem and Shinra just needs to rest for two weeks for the flow of mana within his body to return to normal.” Would I even be able to look Shinra straight in the eyes next time?

“That’s good.” Cold breeze whisper through my ears in exchange for a brief stillness.

“Mmm, that’s why.” Mika tucked the ends of my worn-out uniform. Her amber eyes were protruding, begging for me to look. “Can we still go to the festival?” She added, basking in silence not one word could come out of my mouth. “You know, we still have half an hour left until the celebratory festival ends. We even promised to go although with what happened.” It looked as though she would stop there. “But I don’t want that. I still want to go even if it’s just the two of us, Kan.” If I could not speak out, then I could at least nod.

She then dragged me out of the empty world I had put myself in.

           

 

“Oh sorry, we don’t have any ingredients left.” There were not many stalls that were still selling and some already started to clean up their places. Even mini-game stalls were closing and had already gone to take seats waiting for the last big firework of the festival to launch in a few minutes.

Even with all that Mika continued to look elsewhere. Eventually there was an unusual stall still in service.  “Welcome, would you like to try the Tempest Special?” He was a cheery 2nd year student. Accepting the offer, we were given a few items. “This is?” Mika unaware of what we signed ourselves into she questioned. “Oh, you just have to activate this and follow the rest of the instructions.” Partially leaving us as few students were rambling about how there were only a few seats left for the main viewing area.

“What to do? Huh, he’s gone?” Only realizing now, she was quiet for a few seconds. “Haaah, why is it so hard to have a normal time during a festival?” Mika groaned in frustration. “You know, I’m lost on what to do.” She turned her face away. “I was so excited that I’ll finally be able to have fun with my friends for the first time in a while. Go out, eat different foods, play punishment games, and have someone to share their time with me.” Lowering her tone. “That’s just what I want. How come I cannot have that?” Bummed out her hair was flailing around the air. “...Hnnghh…!” Stretching her arms far and wide, it seemed she wanted to let out her vexation all at once. “Hey!” Spinning her head around, I could see her irritated expression all over her face. 

“Let’s go!” Pulling my sleeves Mika casted a wind spell to hasten ourselves. “Wh-where are we going?” Registering what is going on I immediately asked the joyful rather the happy-go-lucky Mika. “So, you’re finally looking at me. We’ll go to the highest building in Tempest!” Striding along the street walks as every light flickered a different tinge of joy around us.

To be honest, the sight of Mika being all jolly was enough to lift my spirits. She didn’t even let me catch my breath as we sprint across the campus. Setting our sights to the highest building there wasn’t any way to go inside as it was locked up. “It’s closed huh. Oh well, let’s go to the next one then.” Gasping all over the place a faint smirk could be seen from my face. “I know a place.” Finally, I could talk normally. Her endurance is crazily good. With her eyes basically saying to lead the way. I took a deep breath and felt the motion of the world slowly spun around us.

As everywhere I looked, I could see trails of the past month. Desperately looking for a way to surmise things and hoped for the best in the future, at this moment strangely enough I was not desiring for such a conclusion today.

“Are we there yet?” Going across Tempest we were going circles. “Yeah, just a little bit.” I replied as we could hear the crowd’s cheers in anticipation of the last firework. “It’s finally the time!” “Do you know where the fireworks would fire off?” I questioned still gasping for breath. Mika tried to formulate an answer before I interrupted. “It’s at the highest building apparently. The locks earlier were only for decoration.” Tilting her head in confusion as if to say, ‘what about it?’

Just then every light inside the campus turned off at the last seconds. In that pitch-black world our eyes were drawn up above. “Nothing important I just wanted to distract you for a few seconds.” At the final few minutes seeing Mika do her best to cheer me up. This is the least that I could do. I have woven a new ambition within me.

“Flares of Midnight’s Tale!” It was my very own spell specially for Mika at this moment.

Utilizing the grand fireworks as it flew up high exploding to a bomb of blinding colorful lights. I weaved the little mana I had left and give different color to each one as it scatter between us like a horde of fireflies. Illuminating our figures in this dark world. It was as if we were on our own.

“Why… I’m so happy right now there’s tears… hahaha.”

In conclusion of this day, Mika pushed me a step closer to the world I had dreamed of ever since then.

“Thank you, Mika Torri.”

1