Chapter 2 Part 3 (Updated)
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As if waiting for this moment. Sheila-san raised her hand and stood up as she brushed off her hair Sheila Neru's eyes demanded everyone’s attention.

“If I may be so bold to speak on behalf of my juniors here. Revealing this kind of news out to the public would certainly cause a commotion but since the Ancient Magic is something that brought terror and horror to each and every one it also implies that you’re asking for a public humiliation once you inform the public about this. This kind of news does not concern itself whether it is the truth or not but the situation it causes after that. These words are not something that is used in everyday conversation. I assume that not everyone in here is stupid enough to humiliate themselves in the public as it can be similar to insulting the king or a god. That is the kind of power the words Ancient Magic is to people.

“So, if you’re still raising suspicions if we are to leak this news while being aware of the consequences, then, I ask of you to look carefully with your eyes and not the status of one, as we are not incompetent enough to endanger ourselves or our loved ones for something like Ancient Magic.” Shinra, Mika, and I were moved by how Sheila-san protected us. I could already tell that Professor Liua did not like Sheila-san's speech, but no one could complain when it is the truth.

‘Sheila-san is indeed amazing.’

“Any questions?” Secretary Inerva’s eyes were filled with contentment that Sheila-san managed to defend us.

“If there aren’t any more questions then perhaps, we should end the meeting for now, Sir.” Secretary Inerva quickly composed herself nonchalantly.

“That seems to be the case. This meeting is adjourned. Please guide them to the front door Inerva and we have prepared a building to accommodate all of you. If you could follow the staff waiting at the main office.” Principal Cainne ended the meeting and the students as well as the professors stood up and followed Secretary Inerva towards the door. Professor Liua looked at us with irritation, yet Sheila-san just smiled back.

Mari walked up to us.

“Your senpai is so cool, Kan! I couldn’t even imagine saying anything in that kind of atmosphere.” Frea and Reina were also with her.

“My, I’m flattered to hear that.” Sheila-san replied.

“Honestly, we also want you to join the event in the coming Founding Festival, so I hope you win the First Trial.” Frea remarked.

“Regarding what the principal said about your matter it’s good that all of you are in good condition now.” Reina expressed.

“Thank you, Mari, Frea, and Reina.” I stood up and shook Reina’s hands.

“We’ll see you later.” Reina added.

“See you Kan!” Mari waved her hand before they exited the room.

“It must be nice to be friends with beauties like that. Are you not satisfied just having your Senpai?” Sheila-san cried out.

“Ehh, they are just friends right, Mika?” I turned to Mika who was pouting at me.

“Hahahahaha!” Unexpectedly, Shinra bursted out giggling as if he cannot contain it anymore.

“Ahh, you laughed!” I pointed at Shinra.

“Haha, seriously you guys... Thanks for worrying about me I’ll do my best to explain it to you later.” I could see from Shinra’s eyes that he has resolved himself.

I could feel the atmosphere around us going back to normal. ‘I hope we can move forward from here onwards and go back to before.’

“I’m sorry for imposing but we want to express our gratitude earlier.” It was the beastkin student.

“Oh, it’s fine it was because Sheila-san is a good senpai of ours. By the way, I’m Kan Uolo, you can just call me Kan.” I stood up and shook his hands whilst Sheila-san kept saying that I should praise her more.

“Beru, you can call me Beru, Kan.” After he expressed his gratitude and introduced himself, he exited the room.

The raven students were also exiting the room, however, the student near Kreto Nanillion looked at me for a few seconds before heading out of the room.

After they have all left, the principal stood from his seat and sat at the other couch between the table squeezing the four of us at the couch before Sheila-san sat at another chair.

“Please, don’t be so firm and serious you’re hurting this old man’s feelings.” Principal Cainne cried.

“What’s up old man?” ‘Eh, that casual right off the bat?’ I looked to where it came from and Professor Goodwill as well as the Head Librarian came with Secretary Inerva.

“What do you mean old man, you old hag!” The Head Librarian Tania and Principal Cainne were teasing each other.

“Can we just get to the main topic you old farts?” Secretary Inerva let out a sigh.

“Hey, is that a way to talk to your superior?” Principal Cainne retorted.

“Why don’t you just resign already, as far as I can see Inerva is the one working hard, Cainne.” Tania-sensei remarked.

“I also want to, you know, but those old geezers from the Council wants me to maintain this position until I die, I tell you. They don’t even want to let an old man properly rest.” Principal Cainne took a bite off a cookie murmuring.

“Ahem, as Secretary Inerva says should we get back to the topic? I’m not sure the kids are comfortable with you two teasing each other like that.” Professor Goodwill explained.

“Tease, this old man?”

“Tease, this old hag?”

Both of them were annoying to be honest at this point.

Mika, Shinra, and I were exchanging words towards our reaction to the famed Emperor Cainne and the Century Witch Tania who were teasing each other like a couple of lovebirds.

“Hahaha.” Shinra would casually let out a small laugh as Mika and I would smile knowing Shinra was feeling much better.

“Look at them, their expectations were shattered, and they are just now mocking the both of you two.” Professor Goodwill pointed at us who were giggling and smiling.

“Hmm, certainly the air around them feels a bit lighter than the past few weeks.” Tania-sensei added.

“Well, what do you want to do? You’re the one who requested to have a talk with them, old hag?” Principal Cainne looked at Tania-sensei.

Secretary Inerva sat near Sheila-san and Professor Goodwill sat at the opposite chair of them while Principal Cainne and Tania-sensei were sitting in the couch facing us.

“To talk?” Mika nervously asked them what that meant.

“Aaargh, if we’re finding whose idea was it then tell that to Inerva.” Tania-sensei then       passed the ball to Secretary Inerva.

“Ehh, uhmm...” Secretary Inerva got flustered all of a sudden. ‘Ehh?’ was my initial reaction, Shinra as well as Mika were surprised by how Secretary Inerva acted.

“Quite the shy one despite being the Secretary of this school.” Tania-sensei poked the unusual expression of Inerva-san.

“When it comes to herself, she always gets flustered like that.” Principal Cainne joined in. “S-shut up!” Her face would show signs of redness from her white cheeks as if it were a tomato.

“Umm, may I ask what the relationship is between the three of you?” I let my curiosity out and worriedly asked.

“Hmm, I guess you could say that Inerva is like our child.” Tania-sensei responded and revealed such an information out of nowhere.

“Ehh!?” The three of us were even more shocked than earlier from their interactions.

“Not biologically, I am not like that with this old hag.” Principal Cainne explained before receiving a smack from Tania-sensei.

“We just raised her and that’s why you can call us her acting parents.”  After sighing Tania-sensei cleared any misunderstanding.

“T-that’s right, I am raised by Principal Cainne and Tania-sensei. I was an orphan.” Gathering her courage Secretary Inerva answered.

“I requested to call the three of you here because I wanted to help you guys. Since the start of the classes of the first years, groups would naturally form, and in your case the three of you bonded so happily and I would sometimes see you guys near an area you were frequently at. However, after the incident concerning Sheila-san fending off the spy, the atmosphere between the three of you died down and I don’t want it to remain that way.

“S-so I wanted to help you guys.” We were perplexed not because of Secretary Inerva’s shy face but because she wanted to help us regarding our situation.

“Thank you, Inerva-san for telling the reason but if I may ask even if this might offend you, why did you pick our group in particular?” Mika spoke out what was on her mind.

“B-because out of everyone else the three of you have different backgrounds and yet that did not hinder you from forming a bond that is so comfortable and relaxing as the other students. I think that bonds are more important than one own’s individual strength. That’s why I wanted to help the three of you.” Inerva-san looked at the three of us, within her eyes there’s only her fiery resolve.

“I see, thank you, Inerva-san.” Shinra was the one to thanked Inerva-san.

“If it’s all right, can I ask the three of you each a question individually and a question for the three of you?” Tania-sensei offered before asking us to not worry about whether our answer would be correct or not.

“Please, go ahead.” I accepted once Shinra and Mika nodded.

“Then, what did you expect from your group that you hold so dear?” The Head Librarian firmly looked at the three of us. Even if they were trying to lighten the mood, at this time we are cornered to speak what is residing deep in our hearts. I’m not the type to open myself to anyone let alone many people. First of all, no one had ever asked such things before. This was a strange situation that I got entangled into.

Moreover, I don’t think intervention is needed as this is between the three of us, no?

‘The most ridiculous thing of all is that I have all these thoughts in my mind, and I still could not utter one thing. How strong of a will do I have to suppress all of this?’

.

.

.

There was a brief silence.

“At first, making friends is something I did not thought of since coming here in Tempest but getting to know Shinra and Kan I could feel that there are still people that cares for me even if the whole world doesn’t. I want to be with them, create more memories, and if I can wish for something I don’t want to lose these feelings ever a-gg-ain.” Tears faintly fall from Mika’s eyes. ‘She’s been putting on a brave front for too long...’

“I want to find the person who killed my big sister and as well as my friend who fled from her family due to being ungifted. I thought that I couldn’t open up to anyone ever again since I experienced the feeling of losing someone. I put up an act when I first saw Kan and Mika. I wanted to at least have someone to kill time with. Although as I get to know them more, I felt scared due to the fact that I might lose someone precious again. After the incident all I could think was how to find the bastard who killed my older sister and take revenge, yet once I saw Mika and Kan earlier, I don’t know anymore, what I should do...” Shinra silently clenched his fist in frustration.

“I umm... I never thought that I would ever have friends since I always got mocked for being incompetent and a disgrace for my parents who are excellent magicians. I had also never thought of coming in here and being accepted. Being with Mika and Shinra although we have just spent only a month as of yet together, they were my first friends, so I want to treasure this bond that we have. I want to grow stronger so I can show to the world that I am also a competent and excellent magician. Having them with me is more than enough to help me keep going.” I answered truthfully.

“Good. Very well, Shinra and Kan you may go outside of the room and wait for your turn I’ll question Mika then Kan and Shinra.” Shinra and I stood up and lightly pat the back of Mika.

“We’ll be waiting for you Mika; don’t come crying when you see us later ok?” I jokingly remarked.

“Back at you two, I’ll see you later!” Mika wiped her tears and replied with a smile.

 

-----------------------------

 

After Shinra and I left the room Frea, Kreto, Reina, Lionne, and the Hidean Royal School student were conversing in the hallway.

“Oh, speaking of the Tempest students there they are.” The Hidean student called us out.

“That was rather quick.” Reina commented.

“We were asked to be questioned individually.” I hesitatingly replied. I looked at Shinra and he was not in the mood to talk.

‘Tsk, what am I being nervous for?’

“I’ll see you later.” Lionne remarked before the Hidean student stopped him.

“Why are you stepping out of the stage so early? They just declared that they would win the first trial you know?” The Hidean student pressed the matter hoping for a scene.

“They are not the only one who is aiming to win; I don’t have time for meaningless fights.” Lionne responded shifting his gaze away from us. Is he perhaps thinking of the incident?

“Oh, I see. Either way you know that you will win in the end…? How scary and arrogant Lionne Allair surely you know what happened at the Founding Festival last year?”

Frea was about to act up, but Reina told her not to butt in.

“As I told you I don’t have time for meaningless talks, Gibra Jukiel.” Lionne stated as if it is the last time, he should be reminding Gibra Jukiel that he won’t be provoked easily. Though it was just another chance for him to bite back.

“Eh, it is an honor for the prestige Lionne Allair to know my name. Although it will still be the same back then, you will fail just like your sister, I assume you know why right?” Gibra Jukiel continued to play devil’s advocate towards Lionne about the matter last year on the Founding Festival.

“C’mon we should go, Frea.” The Dawness did not have any business staying and left, Frea waved goodbye as I reply by waving back.

Kreto did not utter a word and left as Lionne also follow along suit and Gibra Jukiel did not stop him this time.

“I have to say you’re gathering a lot of eyes, Kan Uolo…” Gibra Jukiel redirected his gaze at me as if he has no choice but to play with the scraps.

“It is an honor to be recognized by nobles such as yourself…” I sarcastically bowed my head and imitated what he did earlier. I don’t know why but there’s a strange courage within me at times like this.

“Well, let’s see for how long you can keep up the act.” It seemed that he quickly lost interest in me and walked away from us.

“Such an annoying guy…” I complained placing my right hand at my temple in exhaustion.

“Hehe, I guess nobles do tend to act like that.” Shinra who did not speak up earlier, lightly chuckled.

“But I have seen other students looked at you as if you were one?” I nonchalantly asked as we sat down when we found a couch from another room close to where Mika and the others are.

“That’s… I’m a son of baron…” Shinra didn’t seem too eager to talk about it.

“It’s fine if you don’t want to talk about it, Shinra. I also have things that are hard to tell others, so don’t worry.” I calmly responded. ‘There are things that are just unbearable to remember let alone tell.’

“Mmm, I think I’ll tell you guys later on once I ready myself up.” Shinra smiled a bit before reminding me of something. “By the way have you got any information about the man that targeted Mika?”

“I have tried to search across the campus and even got to talk with the 2nd year we questioned back then. Unfortunately, there’s little to no evidence besides what you already know.” Even if there were no immediate signs of the guy showing that’s still not enough to slack off. I tried to juggle investigating about it whilst also thinking about certain things and studying in Tempest for the past two weeks.

“Is that so… To be honest with you I also have not been doing much just reading books to pass the time weirdly enough.” Shinra was not the person to read books as a hobby.

 I tried to change the topic and we talked about it as well as everyday topics, passing time when Mika was inside the room.

‘Mika, Shinra, I guess we all have things we are scared to tell the others… a past we don’t want to remember not even a moment of it.’

1