Chapter 16 – Visiting the neighbour town (1)
407 6 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She continued flipping through the encyclopedia with Issac that day, but none of the other languages registered with what she knew, it was just Korean which overlapped with Korean from previous world.

And so she also learned there was no auto-translate feature build into her, it was only Albanese that she could fluently read, write and speak. 

Such a massive disappointment. It’d have been cool to be a polygot.

With that being said, Rosette did understand Korean to a certain level because she went crazy at one point in her previous life trying to sing along K-pop songs so she can passionately sing the whole song in the shower without having to mumble non-chorus parts.

She did more research on Koran empire during the next few following days, reading from travel logs and encyclopaedias to diaries of explorers and merchants.

‘So it’s something more like a melting pot of Chinese, Korean and Japanese cultures.’

She closed the heavy book of Encyclopaedia with a 'thunk'. Holding her quill pen, she wrote important points about Koran Empire in her notes, which was gradually building up. It will soon be thick enough to bind into a leather-bound notebook.

Slowly tapping her finger on the mahogany desk, she spoke to herself while reading over the notes she'd written.

“Teacher said he was escorting a prince from Koran Empire to Alban Kingdom. Probably diplomacy matters…”

She calculated the probabilities of the neighbour prince being a capture target. It was likely high.

“I kinda want to know how he looks like.”

‘After all, the specs of capture targets are not something to look down upon.’

"Not that I'd try to directly interact with him and get my ass into some drama. May be just a peek from afar..."

Leaving the neighbour prince aside, Rosette realised while reading up on Koran Empire that she had never been outside of the mansion since she transmigrated. 

Talking to head maid Theresa, it was soon informed to her that Rosette had never left the mansion in her entire life.

‘Poor girl, you’ve really missed out on a lot of happiness…’ 

“So Theresa~ Do you know what I should do if I want to visit the town nearest to the mansion?”

“Oh my! It’s going to be dangerous for my lady. Towns are full of bad people who steal and scam other people. A young noble lady like you shouldn’t go!”

“Even if I take some guards to escort me?”

“Yes, but even then… Since the Duke is here, you’ll have to ask permission from the Duke.”

‘Ah yes, there is that as well.’

After being home for the first day, the Duke disappeared from the mansion. He busied himself with sorting matters of the Yttrea Duchy he left for 3 months under his subordinates’ supervision. 

He completely left Issac unattended after bringing him back to his mansion.

Thank god Rosette was mentally an adult who wouldn’t even think about bullying Issac behind her father. If it had went according to what the game panel had described, Issac would have been hurt even after being saved from poverty. No doubt the boy's heart would blacken if that was the case.

In that sense, it would have been nothing but 'out of the frying pan into the fire' for the poor traumatised boy.

‘Trash trash trash trash’

Rosette cursed the Duke until she was satisfied, and with a disgruntled face, she made plans to meet the Duke in his home office when he comes back, whenever that is.

Fortunately (or not), Duke returned to the mansion that very night. Family dinner was called, asking Rosette and Issac to be present.

It was going to be another night with stomach aches for Rosette.

“Father, I would like to visit a neighbour town tomorrow.”

The duke stopped cutting his steak midway and looked at Rosette, the edge of his lips turned downwards into a displeased frown.

‘Hah, previous Rosette would stop talking by now looking at that scorn of yours but I don’t care about what you think.’

“If possible, with big brother. I’d like to know more about outside, and brother Issac could also get used to living in the Duchy.”

His frown turned deeper upon mentioning Issac. The atmosphere got palpably heavier.

“Father, I’d also like to visit the town with sister.” Issac interjected, an attempt at slicing the heavy ambiance in the room.

‘Nice support, Issac!’

Despite Issac's help, the Duke continued cutting the steak on his plate as if there wasn’t an ongoing conversation. Minutes silently passed with Rosette hopefully staring at the Duke’s face for approval.

Then, without even looking at Rosette, Duke Theodore spoke.

“I’ll choose some guards to escort you tomorrow. I heard Paul’s brother is living in the mansion as your teacher. Take him too.”

“Thank you, father.”

Rosette thanked her father and continue chewing tasteless food. When she looked at Issac sitting opposite her, she saw him grin happily and then gave her with a sneaky wink.

‘Ah I guess I owe him one now.’

><><><><><><

It was still early morning after Rosette came back from her run, she had a long nagging session from head maid Theresa while she helped her bathe.

“My lady, make sure you always stick close to the guards.”
“You musn't talk to strangers.” 
“Please don’t follow them when they give you candy.”
“You shouldn't believe everything the strangers say.”
“Please make sure Hugo helps you buy things because some scammers will take more money when they know you’re a noble lady.”

“I understand Theresa, so you can stop worrying.”

“My lady is too innocent and inexperienced, of course I worry about you. The world is full of hateful people who take advantage of other’s kindness and weaknesses. As much as I hope you enjoy your visit to the neighbour town today, I also hope you don’t face any dangers.”

“Teacher Hugo will be with me”

“Yes you have to stick close to him”

When Theresa was finally satisfied with her warnings, Rosette stepped out of the shower and stared at the two dresses she had the maids prepare. Rosette decided to wear a commoner dress to stand out less, hoping it would reduce the attempts of getting scammed or kidnapped.

One was a plain beige dress made of  a mix of cotton and jude fabrics, a simple design with no frills or laces. A wide round neck, long sleeves with some dirt stains on the sleeve edges and lower hem.

Another was a olive green dress with some discolouring, and loose thread ends were noticeable near the neck opening. This one was a V-neck and had some patching work done near the hem. Though this one looks neater, it felt more worn down.

They were used dresses Rosette borrowed from a maid who had a little sister.

The said maid cried in shock when Rosette requested, repeating words ‘Young miss shouldn't wear such lowly commoners clothes like ours’. 

"Issac~!"

"Coming!"

Little footsteps could be heard as the boy walked from the neighbour room. He entered the room at Rosette's call, having bathed and clothed in his own room by other maids. While the main bed area of his bedroom was still undergoing renovations, the bathroom and walk-in closet has been rushed so he has a place to change.

The boy entered, brown leathered vest placed over his off-white cotton shirt. His black pants looked a bit oversized on his small figure, and so the maids tied a string at his waist to secure it. As expected of a capture target, he was still handsome despite wearing worn down clothes. After all, the face makes 90% of the look, not the fashion.

She was wearing the beige one when Issac walked in. Twirling around on one foot, she smiled and asked for Issac's opinion.

"What do you think Issac? Am I pretty?"

Issac beamed to match his sister's happiness. "Un~ Pretty!"

"Wait here for a while I'm going to change into another dress. You help me choose one okay?"

"Okay!!"

She then came out with the olive green dress and turned a 360 degree, making the dress sway as she twirled around. The hem of the dress fluttered beautifully.

"Issac which one's prettier?"

"Both are pretty!"

"No we have to choose one."

Issac scrunched up his little eyebrows, as if trying to come to a heavy important decision of his life. He finally looked up at Rosette with a sad smile.

"But whatever Rosette wears, she's the prettiest?" 

Rosette's lips twitched satisfactorily at Issac's comments, but her mind sneered at the young boy's ways with words.

'This playboy brother of mine will break so many hearts in the future.'

The current 8-year old Issac resembled a troubled boyfriend who couldn't be bothered to choose a dress for his girlfriend and so chooses to flatter her looks instead.

"Thank you~ Issac's very pretty too!!"

Issac blushed happily at Rosette's comments, his ears turned a shade of pretty pink as he hid his face in his hands.

"Un..." He quietly agreed, a small smile playing on his face. Rosette witnessed the twitching smile peeking in between his fingers, and a grin emerged on her lips.

Her brother was seriously cute.

19