Chapter 2 – I reincarnated, now what? (2)
471 7 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

May was a normal 20 year old university student studying abroad. She returned back to her home country due to the pandemic to study from home. She complained about the workload and the increasing online assignments while avoiding responsibilities until last minute. That was her life. Yes, that was her mundane life.

So why has things come to this?

A dreary atmosphere enveloped the small child lifelessly staring at the ceiling.

Anyone who are into isekai genre novels would at one point in their lives imagine, “how great would it be to actually reincarnate into a fantasy novel world~!” 

There were different types of world in the genre of ‘isekai’ - otome game, RPG, fantasy world with magic, etc. It was great to expand your imaginations towards what you would do in different scenarios.

But actually facing the problem, May was at a loss. 

Her greatest pending problem was - did she die in her previous world? 

The next biggest problem was - will she die in the current world?

Without the knowledge of the world she had reincarnated into, she did not know what role she played in the original story.

For now, she was just glad she had no trouble communicating with the maid despite having heard and spoken this new language for the first time... It sounded somewhat similar to German or Polish in her previous world.

‘But I’m not even Japanese!’

Usually, the leads are from Japan, China or Korea - the main suppliers to the world’s demands for isekai thirsty fandom. May was but a regular upright citizen of a South East Asian country.

‘UUUUuuuuuuu’

“For now, would you like to soak in a bath, my lady?”

The maid interrupted her solo-ramblings in her mind. With a feeble smile, May replied with a nod, silent in case she fucks up whatever image the previous owner of the body had.

She followed the maid into the large room which was again, unnecessarily extravagant. The small red head turned her head around to observe the bathroom decorated with shiny tiles, the big counter against the wall held scented candles and an ornate expensive-looking vase full of roses . In the middle of the room was a tub, shining in an iridescent pink sheen - something similar to oyster shells.

She lowered herself into the tub filled with warm water and rose petals which floated on top.

The maid gently helped wash her, massaging her small limbs while she wiped with the grime with a cloth.

She started squeezing her small brain to see if it would help her remember how Rosette was previously like. In stories, don’t people usually see the person’s previous memories?

She closed her eyes and started slowly breathing in and out.

Sadness.... Loneliness.... Yearning… Anger…

Although she couldn’t remember the exact memories of Rosette, she could certainly feel the heavy emotions that weighed in her mind. 

Such a small child, why would you have these depressing emotions?

In a strange world, with no information and no one to depend on, May felt anxious. She didn’t know who to trust and who to depend on.

She stole a glance at the maid helping her wash. A kind face who reminded her of her mom from previous life. She looked a bit strict, but seeing how gentle she was with her, May concluded this person would probably not bring her harm.

“Umm...”

“Yes, my lady?”

“For some reasons... I cannot seem to recall anything from before I woke up... can you help me...?”

The hands gently rubbing her back with a wet cloth stopped moving. A few seconds passed before she answered.

“I see…” For some reasons, the maid continued wiping her back and didn’t talk anymore.

‘Was I a bad person?’ She stared at her dark red hair descending past her shoulder, a glaring dead flag on its own. 

Rule #12 of isekai: IF YOUR HEAD'S RED, YOU'RE VILLAINESS. [A/N: The number of rules are not in order whatsoever]

It would be pretty bad if she had already bullied several of her maids, tortured all the workers and had an awful reputation that she was a spoiled child with no saving. It would also explain why there was only one maid serving her despite being a daughter of a rich and powerful family.

“Was I a bad person?”

“No!”

The maid had a gloomy aura, and sad eyes as she returned my gaze.

“My lady was a gentle and reserved person. If there’s anyone who’s bad, it’d be…” she paused, considering if she should continue her sentence. “You having forgotten your memories might be God’s gift for you.”

Hey, doesn’t this sound like some traumatic background story going on?

My family…”

“Your father is Duke Theodore Yttrea of the Yttrea Duchy, said to be the largest and most prominent land in the Kingdom of Alban. He works in the palace as the Prime Minister, well known for his competence.”

“The palace? Prime minister?”

“The palace is about a 4 days journey away from this mansion by coach, in the capital city. It’s a large white castle, much bigger than this place. The prime minister helps the King with ruling the kingdom by doing many work.”

It sounds like my father is a busy man who is never home.

“And my mother?”

A wry bitter smile crept up on the maid’s face.

Ahhh yes. OF COURSE we have family problems.

 

18