Chapter 4 – Making plans (1)
385 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Paul, the head butler of the mansion, quietly observed the young child in front of him. He was appointed as a butler when he was 20 years old at the Duke’s mansion in the capital 10 years ago. 

He has served Duke Yttrea before the young lady Rosette was even born. So obviously, he knew what kind of commotions have unravelled in the family.

As a child, parents are the only support you have, the ones you look towards to get protection from. 

But when Rosette was born, she was abandoned by both of her parents. 

She was transferred to this empty mansion at Yttrea Duchy, left with a nanny and a handful of staff. Her parents remained in the capital for social and work reasons.

Pity would be the first emotion whenever he saw the young miss who smiled brightly whenever her father came back every 4 months to the mansion. She would try her best at everything, just to show her father how great she has done. Her eyes would fill with hope to hear words of compliments.

But the Duke would only give her a cold stare, saying “You should be able do better.” And would constantly reprimand her whenever she acted child-like. 

Consistently throwing out harsh words, if there is any redemption for this cold Duke, it would be that he never truly got physical in his punishments.

As a person who had several siblings below him, Paul inwardly criticised the duke for his cold demeanour. But the Duke was his employer, so none of these criticisms would be voiced out loud. 

Instead, Paul silently watched over the young miss reading books heavier than her small arms could carry. Young Lady Rosette was not a smart child and was rather timid and secluded, but no staff or servant in the mansion would dare berate her because they knew the amount of effort that child puts in.

‘Really, a child should be playing freely…’

The young miss indeed had no choice but to mature under such conditions. She would never voice her opinions out loud and was always mindful with her actions. Putting on thick make-up to appear older and more refined, every movement she made would be full of grace. The few words she ever spoke were very un-childlike. Her eyes often lacked lustre and most of the time, her expressions were blank.

The staff of the mansion nick-named her ‘Reserved Fairy Princess of Yttrea Duchy’ and everyone working here silently pities the small lady doing her best.

Young lady Rosette had fell sick the other day, and was found collapsed in the study room attached to the library. She was trying her best to improve after hearing her father’s sudden announcement to return to the mansion next month. She’d often have food untouched even when delivered to her, a girl who was so focused on the books she’d lose her sense of time.

He was surprised when the head maid Theresa suddenly said the young miss called for him. After all, the young miss had very little interest in the any aspect other than studying day in and day out. 

Such young lady was sitting in front of him on the couch, her eyes looked at Paul with a sharp glint. Her face usually covered with thick cosmetics was now bare, exposing her rosy cheeks and translucent skin tone. Her face now resembled a seven-year old that she should be.

“Are you the Head Butler?”

“Yes, my lady. I’m Paul, the head butler of the mansion.”

The young lady smiled, leaving Paul surprised once again. 

He had never seen such a heartfelt smile directed at anyone but her father. But when her father looked at her with disgust whenever she smiled, the young lady stopped smiling one day.

How long as it been since he saw the young lady smile?

“Paul, I called you today because I would like to discuss a few things about the mansion.”

“I understand. What would you like to know, my lady?”

“First of all, can I know the budget given by my father for the upkeep of this mansion?”

“He has allocated 5 thousand golds for annual budget.”

The young lady soon fell into thought. She was a child, locked in this mansion with no contact to the outside world, so it is possible she had no sense of money. 

Paul decided to explain, “10 copper coins is equivalent to 1 silver coin. 100 silver coins amount to one gold coin. 5 copper coins can get a commoner one decent meal for the day and 3 gold coins can supply a 4-family commoner household for a year.”

The lady’s eyes widened at this statement, and silently muttered incoherent words under her breath. Paul had seen the young lady make more expressions today than he has seen her make over the last few years. Inwardly, he felt a huge relief.

“Can I get a detailed report on how the budget is spent by the end of this week?”

He was slightly confused for the reason a seven year old child asking for a budget report, but Paul agreed.

“And I’d also like to get a list of the staff working in this mansion, with a summary of their roles and background.”

“I understand, I’ll have them prepared and delivered to you as you wish.”

With this, Rosette’s plans to manage the mansion began.


After much deliberation, I decided to update every Tuesday and Friday. Thank you for your support!

20