Chapter 6 – Making plans (3)
390 6 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Private tutors are usually nobles in the society with strong academic backgrounds, and they are offered positions by head of the family - in this case, the Duke. However…”

My shitty father won’t bother.

“It is well known to the public that the Duke has… more or less forsaken this mansion so it’s hard to find someone willing to work in this mansion without connections.”

So that’s why the place is so desolate. Of course, no one would like to work as a servant in a mansion to serve a famously abandoned child - there’s no way to climb up the social ladder. Realistically, it’s smart to not hold onto a rotten rope.

Paul must have had it hard.

Rosette’s distaste towards the asshole duke grew the more she learned about his child neglect, she wanted to chew his name and spit it out but she was sure it would leave a bitter aftertaste in her mouth.

“Is it possible to call for someone who is willing to guide me with ways of magic, if not studies?”

In this world, nobles are mostly privately taught while commoners attend elementary schools. Nobles attend Royal Academy by age 15 to study magic and more specific subjects, as well as establish their standing in the noble community.

Commoners usually stop education after elementary school, after having learned to read, write and do basic calculation. However if their magic talent is exceptional, they may be scouted to attend the academy with a sponsorship from one of the prominent families or houses.

While nobles entering the academy is guaranteed, it was considered prestigious to maintain top grades to not bring shame to the family. As such, many young nobles undergo intensive studies covering difficult topics before even having entered the school.

“….… If you’re okay with being taught by a commoner…”

“That’s fine, as long as they’re capable.”

“My younger brother is a registered A-rank adventurer. If you’re okay with him, I’ll drag him to the mansion if I have to.”

Even if I’m not sure how strong adventurers and the differences in rankings, an A-ranker must be considerably strong.

With a satisfied grin Rosette replied, “That’d be great.”

Paul returned a gentle smile at the young girl’s satisfaction. 

“My only wish is that you smile more, my lady.”

><><><><><><

Mundane days passed by as Rosette burrowed herself in studies trying to learn more on the history of the world she reincarnated into. With help from maid Theresa, she learned more on how Rosette’s life was like before transmigration and the internal situation of the family.

There were no “owners” of the mansion present, as the Duke only returned for a few days 3 times a year and Madam Dianne basically lived in the capital. The mansion is solely managed by cooperation between head butler Paul and head maid Theresa.

Seeing the report given by Paul, it was shown that they have managed to hire the bare minimum amount of staff required to keep the mansion going despite the difficulties for staff recruitment. The budget given was used at a minimum as there wasn’t much needed.

As a child who spent indoors every day, she had no need for extravagant jewelleries or dresses. She had no parties to accompany her parents with, nor did she have any friends to visit. There was no tutors to pay, nor were there many mouths to feed in the mansion.

As such, most of the money was stored away in the treasury room.

She learned from Paul that a percentage of the mansion’s budget was allocated as her pocket money, but none of it has been touched as Rosette has never been interested in such nor was there a need.

“For now I need to take my money out of the treasury. I need to have an emergency fund in case I meet a bad ending. That’s going to be my insurance.”

It’s common sense that the villainess is always either executed or banished. The vast majority of novels tagged with ‘villainess noble girl’ were written so. 

Rosette was planning carefully for her uncertain future that she knew nothing of and to be most prepared, she needed to think of solutions to the worst case scenarios.

“But I can’t just leave the pocket money as is so I need to find somewhere to invest and multiply my money”

That’s another thing going on the to-do list.

><><><><><><

A few weeks passed as reforms took place in the mansion. It started with hiring of new staff. This included kitchen staff, maids and manual workers.

While it used to be such that someone needed to have experience in the field and a good background before working in the mansion, this raised the bar too high for a position that not many people were even willing to fill. 

Plus, limiting the positions to middle-class commoners who worked to look for connections mean they were getting less applicants. Rosette opened the position to all classes, including the lower-class commoners.

Rosette proposed hiring people with good character and undergoing a month training period with half-pay as an intern before choosing formal employment with higher pay. Upholding the reputation of a duke’s household, even the half-pay was still high.

“Paul, how are our new staff holding on?”

“The current staff members are implementing this training session as you’ve described. Newcomers are shadowing a staff during the day and carrying out minor tasks to help. Plus they are rotating supervisors so they’re learning tips and tricks from more veteran staff.

Guidelines stating their roles and the mansion's rules have been written and passed around in the staff dormitory. I also added the thing young miss called 'Eff-Ay-Kyuu's where the current staff write answers to common questions asked by newcomers.”

“That’s great. This must have been hard to supervise, good job Paul.”

“I’ve done nothing exceptional, my lady.”

In the large hallway, stood two figures - a young man and a small girl. Sunlight filtered through the windows and gently enveloped them with brightness.

Paul looked over the girl happily walking in front of him. 

Her usually shrivelled, depressing aura was no more. This girl in front of him was shining brilliantly. She came up with this ‘interning’ regimen and started implementing one thing after another that Paul couldn’t believe were ideas of a 7 year old.

The past few weeks, he often checked in on the girl after the sudden change that day. Paul would often find her speaking something incomprehensible when she was alone in her study. One day after she went to sleep, Paul went to tidy her study room to find papers scribbled with an unknown language.

‘A foreign language? Or an ancient one?’ He couldn’t decipher.

The next day, the papers disappeared from the studies.

Then the other day, the young lady who had always been a shut in suddenly shows interest in magic and started running around the mansion in the mornings. 

When Paul first saw a shadowy figure running laps in the mansion at 5 am in the morning he thought it was an intruder. He called all the men guarding the mansion to surround the person, only to face a huffing and puffing Rosette soaked in sweat. She was then scolded thoroughly by Theresa for running around in nightwear, unbefitting of a lady.

The mansion was now slowly filling with chatter and life as more staff filled in. The lower class commoners, who were usually ignored despite their capabilities, are showing great promise. Everyone sang praises of the young lady who managed to improve staff living conditions and was non-discriminatory towards the new staff who were lower-class commoners.

Paul welcomed this change wholeheartedly.

“I’ve also prepared the mansion to welcome the Duke tomorrow.” Paul reminded Rosette of the Duke’s return to the mansion.

“HAH?”

“…”

Paul’s eyes widened at the sudden snapping of the quiet girl. Her eyes were filled with disgust, not a speck of affection in sight at the mention of the Duke. Even if a person has changed that much, is it possible to suddenly contrast one’s own feelings towards who you’ve always loved and admired?

Then as if realising her outburst, Rosette quickly fixed her expressions to a blank one.

“I see. How are preparations going?”

“… I’ve ordered the chefs to prepare the Duke’s favourite dishes. His room has been prepared and his study has been cleaned. The staff has been notified to be in their best manner tomorrow.”

“All that work just to welcome an asshole father.” She muttered underneath her breath with a sigh.

Paul curiously looked at the girl’s face filled with annoyance, and left after excusing himself. A small smile spread on his thin lips. He felt giddy inside, silently cheering for the small girl.

'Young lady, I hope you realise... your value doesn’t come from affirmations from the duke. Everyone in the mansion appreciates your efforts.'

And in his heart, Paul prays that when the Duke and the young lady interacts tomorrow, he’ll see a different scene than he’s used to all these past years.

Meanwhile in her bedroom, Rosette was grinding her teeth in anger and anticipation. 

‘I can’t believe I’m meeting the first boss this early. Let’s see your shameless face tomorrow, Duke’

21