Chapter 1 – Chaos and Death
230 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The lockdown was indefinite. The reason for the lockdown was a new type of virus that had become a global pandemic, the corona virus aka COVID-19. It started out in China. And soon spread out to the rest of the world. In a matter of months the whole world had cases of people being infected by the virus. The death rate was not extreme, but because so many people got infected, there were large amounts of deaths. Millions got affected and thousands of thousands died. Somehow the situation started to get worse. Natural disasters started occurring all over the world. Typhoons, tsunamis, earthquakes and cyclones/twisters, all the major disasters were hitting the earth all over the world. The death toll shifted to the count millions and soon billions.

10.10.2020. The world went into chaos. It was the apocalypse.

I was lazing around in bed. My parents had to go out to shop, so I got out of bed to lock the door, albeit reluctantly. A few moments after they left, I was checking my messages, when suddenly, my mind froze in terror. There was an earthquake, and the tremors were unlike anything I had ever experienced.

I could feel and hear the building creaking. For once I was cursing the fact that I lived way up on the sixth floor in an eleventh story building. Before I could take another step, the furniture started tipping, books, cutlery, decorations, all the small items started falling over. I was shit scared. I grabbed my shoes and took a beeline towards the balcony. It was as bad a place as any other, but if worse came to worst at least there was an opening. I quickly wore my shoes.

Soon after, the building made a tremendous sound. My jaw dropped when I saw the scene around me from the balcony. My ears were ringing from all the screaming of people and the noise of things breaking. As my brain was comprehending what was happening I suddenly lost my balance. Forcing myself up by holding the guard railing that reached my waist, I realized in horror that the building was tipping over. A scream escaped my mouth as the thoughts 'I don't want to die' kept repeating over and over again in my mind.

As I was barely hanging on to the railing I climbed onto it as the building slowly but surely started to tip over. And then it started becoming brighter and brighter.

I realized that the sun started growing bigger and bigger and thus it became brighter by the second. As the building almost touched the ground I crouched down with my back towards the sun and my hands desperately clutching the outer side of the railing. I started sweating bullets as apart from getting brighter it was also starting to get hotter. Just as that thought came to my mind,  the building crashed into the ground making a huge racket. I could make out the cracks forming under me and my body jumped on its own with shear instinct. I felt like I was doing an obstacle course as I jumped over and over making my way to a higher ground that was stable.

It was getting unbearably hot and I could barely see because of the brightness of the sun. Just as I reached what I thought was a safe place, but the ground opened up right in front of me and fire erupted all around me. As I tried to scramble to safety I was blinded and lost my footing diving head first into the earth itself. I desperately tried to find something to hold onto as I started falling. Somehow I managed to grab onto an electric pole. As soon as I tried to climb onto it, the pole broke away and fell along with me.

With all the strength I could muster I pushed it away from me so that I wouldn’t be crushed by it. Then my body started rotating on its own in the air, falling. I turned to look towards the ground and saw a protruding sharp object that would break my fall. But before I could do anything my body had already reached it. All I could do was put my arms in front of me as I braced for impact. Whatever the sharp object was, it pierced through my belly and made me immobile. The pain made my mind so numb that I didn't feel the pain of being buried alive as objects, both big and small, landed over me. The last thought I had was 'If only I could have lived longer…' I screamed in pain and anguish as my consciousness escaped me.

5